Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Even though bad voice acting is still common, I'm glad that the lipsync is nearly always redone for English dubs. Not only was it distracting to look at, it also caused a lot of really awkward line deliveries.

The XIII games even made new versions of the CGI cutscenes for the English dialogue, although it meant the PC version was huge because it needed to store both copies. I don't know why they didn't just make the Japanese cutscenes free DLC like in Lightning Returns, so you wouldn't be forced to download nearly twice the amount of data for an already large game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if they'll keep any of the voice actors from the XV demo? I can't find out who actually voices the four main guys other than that Gideon Emery (Balthier in XII) is apparently Ignis

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought the VA was fine in X except for Yuna for obvious reasons. Like, bad dub to me is Type-0, some FF13 like Hope, and modern Dynasty Warriors. They emote fine, their expressions match what's actually happening on the screen, and scenes play out like they're actually speaking to each other.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

Are we going to have to start to treat Aerith dying as an actual spoiler again at some point?

Seems so, games fall out of the cultural memory quick. Lots of people think Final Fantasy = 13 because they've only recently started gaming.

I just think posting open spoilers makes you a dick, but I've expressed that view here before...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The new spoiler will actually be the fact you can keep her alive, or revive her, or something.

Maybe that BS my friend sold me about using the Tissues you get from the Battle Square will actually work now. Yeah, and maybe Dyne will also be a recruitable party member, also like my friend told me. Just press X a lot when he's about to fall off the cliff and you can stop him.

I was a very dumb kid.

Although I do hope they give the Barret/Dyne subplot a good deal of effort in the remake. It's one of my favorite parts of the original game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if they'll keep any of the voice actors from the XV demo? I can't find out who actually voices the four main guys other than that Gideon Emery (Balthier in XII) is apparently Ignis

According to an Active Time report, Noctis will have his lines re-recorded in the English release. Tabata has been very active in addressing the concerns of overseas fans. I don't think the overall quality of the localization will change in the final product but we'll get a glimpse of their progress at Gamescom, which seems to be a lot of Duscae 2.0 and cosplay.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

CottonWolf posted:

Are we going to have to start to treat Aerith dying as an actual spoiler again at some point?

It would be messed up if Aerith lives in the remake, imo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It would be even more messed up if her name was Aerith in the remake imo.

Tae posted:

I thought the VA was fine in X except for Yuna for obvious reasons. Like, bad dub to me is Type-0, some FF13 like Hope, and modern Dynasty Warriors. They emote fine, their expressions match what's actually happening on the screen, and scenes play out like they're actually speaking to each other.

I even thought Yuna was fine close to the end when she was giving speeches and having emotional scenes. Hedy Burress's voice is naturally slow and awkward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdsikeTqiw I never had a problem with it because Yuna is supposed to be shy.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 31, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

The new spoiler will actually be the fact you can keep her alive, or revive her, or something.

Maybe that BS my friend sold me about using the Tissues you get from the Battle Square will actually work now. Yeah, and maybe Dyne will also be a recruitable party member, also like my friend told me. Just press X a lot when he's about to fall off the cliff and you can stop him.

I was a very dumb kid.

Although I do hope they give the Barret/Dyne subplot a good deal of effort in the remake. It's one of my favorite parts of the original game.

I spent like a month saving up allowance to buy another Pokemon Red cart to try the Mew under the truck trick. Turns out sequence breaking actually DOES let you see a truck and there's nothing there.

We also (I say We because in 1997 FF7 was basically treated like a multiplayer game with every kid I knew) tried everything to revive aeris. New save file, grinding her to like 60 in disc 1 and getting her ultimate limit break, trying to collect all 35 of the 1/35 soldiers. Also all of us would look at previews of FF8 and try to work out how the characters related to cloud and tifa.

Honestly though FF7 has some really good moments that a remake could make a lot better - Crisis Core was an entire game devoted to that fact and it pulled off the ending really well. There are so many moments other than just Aeris dying that they could Crisis Core up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

Its probably better than the popular opinion gives credit for. A lot of it might come down to experimenting with scene direction in concert with it and equating the VA as part of that synthesis: there is some really wacky stuff where the camera lingers on a PS2 rendered jaw drop, or like when Rikku starts pawing at the air like a dog or something when she gets excited.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

CottonWolf posted:

People who were born the year ff7 came out are now 18. There's actually a large chance many of the people who play ff7re will know very little about the plot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

zedprime posted:

Its probably better than the popular opinion gives credit for. A lot of it might come down to experimenting with scene direction in concert with it and equating the VA as part of that synthesis: there is some really wacky stuff where the camera lingers on a PS2 rendered jaw drop, or like when Rikku starts pawing at the air like a dog or something when she gets excited.

God the rikku paw. It still had the PS1/SNES level type of "Play excited animation" for the characters but it looked so bad with realistic models.

I'm playing FFX2 HD now and Yuna's voice acting is actually WAY better in this one.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

zedprime posted:

I am sad that I'm on my phone and don't have Wakka.gif handy.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Minrad posted:

I am sad that I'm on my phone and don't have Wakka.gif handy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ohtsam posted:

People who were born the year ff7 came out are now 18. There's actually a large chance many of the people who play ff7re will know very little about the plot.

loving :corsair:d.

I'm actually looking forward to the FF7 remake if only because I haven't actually played it since its original release, and forgotten 99% of the story as a result (who/what the gently caress is Jenova? [rhetorical]). I could never get back to FF7 because good god that game looks awful nowadays :v:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It would be even more messed up if her name was Aerith in the remake imo.

What with Square naming her Aerith in literally every piece of FFVII-related media post the original game, I'm pretty sure this is unavoidable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's pretty good but I wish I had a gif of this instead.

X-2's animations were...not very good.Some really lazy lipsyncing as well.

Rikku: MONKEY! (mouth opens and shuts about five times) And I've been informed that the Japanese word for monkey doesn't even have that many syllables so it was just pure laziness.

On the bright side, Yuna's voice-acting was excellent. In fact, her whole character is better in X-2.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DanielCross posted:

What with Square naming her Aerith in literally every piece of FFVII-related media post the original game, I'm pretty sure this is unavoidable.

they will carry over the VAs from KH so she will be voiced by mandy moore and sephiroth will be lance bass

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

they will carry over the VAs from KH so she will be voiced by mandy moore and sephiroth will be lance bass

I'm fine with this.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Fauxtool posted:

SIN HARVEST Descend Heartless Angel!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DanielCross posted:

She has been officially translated as Aerith longer than it was Aeris and in more games. The boat has sailed.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

She has been officially translated as Aerith longer than it was Aeris and in more games. The boat has sailed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board. I played KH1 before I ever played FFVII, so I was introduced to her as Aerith and always saw Aeris as a localization error. I have no nostalgia for the name.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DanielCross posted:

I'm slightly disappointed they decide to go with Garnet as the official name. I mean it makes sense and at the end of the day I have no fault with it, but considering I see her as Dagger for 3.5 discs, it was a little jarring at first.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am disappointed that Square didn't go the democratic route that would mean Cloud's canon name is actually Sephiroth, and Aeris is really faaAart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

zedprime posted:

I am disappointed that Square didn't go the democratic route that would mean Cloud's canon name is actually Sephiroth, and Aeris is really faaAart.

Actually everyone's name was Sephiroth.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually everyone's name was Sephiroth.

I need to do this in the remake if they let you name characters.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I haven't played Crisis Core but girlfriend has been playing it and summarizing it for me and I just don't like what they did with Zack. From what she's told me, in CC Zack is a nice dude obsessed with honor and sounds like a boy scout. In the brief amount of time we see Zack in the original game he seems like a rough dude. Yeah, he saved Vegetable Cloud, but he's a jerk to the truck driver and I mean, deciding to become a mercenary says a lot about someone. Also, if we accept that Cloud is assimilating Zack's personality in the beginning of the game before his brain is fixed then that would also indicate Zack was a cold jerk. I just can't reconcile Zack from the original game with what I've heard about Crisis Core.

Advent Children is the only one of the FF7 spinoffs that works for me. Last time I watched AC:Complete I felt like it made sense at least, and even if some of the characters didn't seem the exact same as in the game (Cloud) I could at least see how they got to that point.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Epi Lepi posted:

I haven't played Crisis Core but girlfriend has been playing it and summarizing it for me and I just don't like what they did with Zack. From what she's told me, in CC Zack is a nice dude obsessed with honor and sounds like a boy scout. In the brief amount of time we see Zack in the original game he seems like a rough dude. Yeah, he saved Vegetable Cloud, but he's a jerk to the truck driver and I mean, deciding to become a mercenary says a lot about someone. Also, if we accept that Cloud is assimilating Zack's personality in the beginning of the game before his brain is fixed then that would also indicate Zack was a cold jerk. I just can't reconcile Zack from the original game with what I've heard about Crisis Core.

Advent Children is the only one of the FF7 spinoffs that works for me. Last time I watched AC:Complete I felt like it made sense at least, and even if some of the characters didn't seem the exact same as in the game (Cloud) I could at least see how they got to that point.

I'd say Cloud's personality was an amalgation of Zack's cocky confidence, and his own fantasies about being a cool, badass (rear end in a top hat-ish) SOLDIER. I always thought Cloud misunderstanding what "true strength" is fit his character.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 31, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm slightly disappointed they decide to go with Garnet as the official name. I mean it makes sense and at the end of the day I have no fault with it, but considering I see her as Dagger for 3.5 discs, it was a little jarring at first.

You mean you didn't immediately change her name back to Garnet when given the choice to change her name? Like Aeris, I always liked the name Garnet and each time I get to that point I think "I don't want her to be named Dagger, that's a bad name." Plus it's too funny for her to go "So this is called a dagger? From now on, my name is Garnet."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Square should've taken it a step further and made her default name Buster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Keep in mind FF7's translation is pretty lovely. Cloud isn't cold. He's cocky and self-assured, which is also what Zack is.

FF7 Cloud isn't a perfect copy of Zack but that is also intentional and even in-game people notice that Cloud doesn't exactly fit Zack's profile. (Aerith even comments on how he is similar but different.) The entire point of Cloud is that he is a dorky guy trying to act like the confident self-assured capable person who was his friend and he isn't very good at it.

Also you can't really go "he decided to become a mercenary, that means he is a bad guy" when you're discussing something like a JRPG where nine out of ten mercenaries are good-hearted dudes. Likewise he's not really a jerk to the truck driver. He's impolite but that's supposed to come off as kind of "punkish', not as him being a dick.

Edit:

Actually, looking up the lines, it really is a bad translation. Zack's dialogue is more akin to this: "Hey, I know what I'll do! I'll open up a business that does everything. Boring stuff, exciting stuff, we'll do everything for money!" Mercenary isn't really accurate. Zack says he's going to effectively be a jack-of-all-trades... which is literally what Cloud ends up doing by the end. The entire point of the line is that Zack is being super-cocky. He says he has a ton of skills and so he'll get rich doing different jobs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 31, 2015

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Sunning posted:

According to an Active Time report, Noctis will have his lines re-recorded in the English release. Tabata has been very active in addressing the concerns of overseas fans. I don't think the overall quality of the localization will change in the final product but we'll get a glimpse of their progress at Gamescom, which seems to be a lot of Duscae 2.0 and cosplay.

Boo, Batman voice Noctis owns in the demo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Claude, Alice, Tiffany, and Barry.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Bongo Bill posted:

I definitely recall EGM calling Cloud "Claude" in like the first preview of the game.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bongo Bill posted:

Alongside their dog, Rudy the Thirteenth.

We don't talk about the other Rudies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So in FFX I'm in Zanarkand (or wherever all those zombie enemies are) and about to fight, I assume, Yunalesca. All my overdrives suck balls (Tidus only has Spiral Cut and that other one where he runs and flails spastically and Auron has that baseball bat swing, and the less said about Wakka and Kimahri, the better). I feel severely underleveled and unprepared. Most of my characters can't progress in their spheregrids because I need Lvl. 3 unlocks which I have no idea where to get. Am I missing something?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm having a lot of fun walking down memory lane with the FFX remaster on PS4. I feel like I'm "better" at the game now, as a kid I tended to only have a half-idea of how anything in FF worked. The only thing I'm not looking forward to are "those" minigames, but it did feel really good getting 0:00 on the chocobo race after about an hour or so in total!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Lightning Returns is boughted. Now just to wait for it to actually get here.

I've purchased one DLC - the FF Legends Pack that comes with the Cloud, Aerith and X-2 Yuna outfits. I mean, I liked all those characters so why not. Are any of the other DLC outfits worth it, like the Samurai ones or Ultimate Savior or whatever else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So Lightning Returns is boughted. Now just to wait for it to actually get here.

I've purchased one DLC - the FF Legends Pack that comes with the Cloud, Aerith and X-2 Yuna outfits. I mean, I liked all those characters so why not. Are any of the other DLC outfits worth it, like the Samurai ones or Ultimate Savior or whatever else?

I wouldn't buy costumes for power, you're more than strong enough on your own in the game. Get costumes you like if you want but I wouldn't buy DLC until you know you like the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Good luck with Yuffie.