Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I arrested an unlicensed driver with no insurance and a guy with a DUI warrant over a traffic stop for no license plate light.

My chickenshit stop got 2 potentially dangerous drivers off the road. gently caress all these ignorant idiots that don't understand that the primary way to catch criminals and serve warrants is traffic stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelian_Principles

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
y'all need to shut up and stop looking a gift horse in the mouth

If people seriously think they're better off with cops sitting in stations cooking Chili and working out, why argue?

Cancel all traffic units, errybody in polo shirts and ball caps, no proactive patrols, start washin them cars 24/7

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
If they want to pay me to sit around all day and sleep/eat/play videogames and wash squad cars like a fireman, you won't hear me complaining! However, it's a terribly misguided policy proposal that would likely have far-reaching negative implications for society that wouldn't be easily corrected even when society knee-jerks to the opposite position and police are suddenly charged with restoring order.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

y'all need to shut up and stop looking a gift horse in the mouth

If people seriously think they're better off with cops sitting in stations cooking Chili and working out, why argue?

Cancel all traffic units, errybody in polo shirts and ball caps, no proactive patrols, start washin them cars 24/7

As long as we only have to respond to legit emergencies that is. No more barking dogs or property exchanges or baby momma drama calls

sausage paddy
Feb 25, 2009
please rename a cop HEFTY CURES SANDRA tia

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
People wouldn't call for those BS reasons of we lived in my libertarian utopia in which my "protect & serve meter" starts running as soon as you request an officer $$$$

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

libertarian utopia in which my "protect & serve meter" starts running as soon as you request an officer $$$$

post/avatar combo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Watching that Raymond Tensing video. Doesn't police patrols in duos? If yes why didn't his buddy help him handle the situation with the driver

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Do any departments really dual up anymore? Think that's pretty much a major city PD thing, and most of them don't even do it anymore due to staffing. Certainly not a UPD thing.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Not every agency rides paired up. In fact id say most don't.

I'm curious though, there's definitely a second officer in the body cam video. I'm guessing he was rolling up as the shooting took place and went scrambling after the vehicle.

That whole video is hosed up though. Stop arguing with the dude about whether he has a license or not. Take his name down and go check his status.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 1, 2015

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Tensing has filed to get his job back, stating that the University violated the union contract in terminating him without both the required disciplinary hearing and a formal written declaration of charges. This puts the U in an extremely awkward position because they very blatantly violated the letter of the union contract, and if forced to hire him back by either the HR board or the binding arbitration hearing, they will not be allowed to discipline him further for the incident until/unless he is convicted.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I know you been off the job for awhile, but whats the atmosphere like among cops in that city/dept since this whole thing?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

CommanderApaul posted:

Tensing has filed to get his job back, stating that the University violated the union contract in terminating him without both the required disciplinary hearing and a formal written declaration of charges. This puts the U in an extremely awkward position because they very blatantly violated the letter of the union contract, and if forced to hire him back by either the HR board or the binding arbitration hearing, they will not be allowed to discipline him further for the incident until/unless he is convicted.

:sigh:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Branis posted:

I know you been off the job for awhile, but whats the atmosphere like among cops in that city/dept since this whole thing?

Some of the more vocal guys I talk to are super pissed at the prosecutor for his nationally televised rant. At the same time, the department, the president of the university, and the board of trustees all appear seem to recognize that this is a bad action by a single officer and not an endemic problem in the department, and have the department's back against the calls to integrate the department into CPD, so that's good.

The former chief posted this somewhere, and it was shared by several of them on social media:

Former Chief Gene Ferrara posted:

Having been a member of both departments, and one of those training officers while at CPD, I think I can provide some insights to this discussion. First, let's look at why UCPD extended it's patrols into the neighborhoods around campus. Essentially, it was because of an increase in violent crimes in neighborhoods where UC students lived. The students were the victims of street robberies, often at gunpoint. The City of Cincinnati faced financial problems that resulted in a reduced police complement. (Still true today) The University offered to provide a police presence to supplement CPD officers, at no cost to the City.

A mutual aid contract was implemented and cooperative efforts between the two agencies resulted in significant crime reductions in these neighborhoods. In some years there was a double digit reduction. Both the City and UC benefitted from the partnership.

Next, let's look at the training issue. The Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission establishes the basic recruit training standards for police officers, including UCPD. Recently, there has been added some in-service training requirements. I believe it is 8 hrs per officer, per year. For years, UCPD has exceeded this level of training, even though it was not required. I know that at one point UC police officers averaged 40 hrs of in-service training per year. Not sure what level CPD has now, but at that time, UC's was higher.

Now to what I believe is the crux of the issue. Should the actions of a single officer in a single incident determine the fate of a partnership that has proven to be a valuable asset to both the City and the University? I don't think so. Obviously, an incident of the magnitude of this one requires a review of the operations of the UCPD, and they have stated that will happen. Just as it did in CPD when they faced similar questions.

I am proud of my service with CPD, as well as my time with UCPD. There are many fine officers in both departments. Pointing fingers does a disservice to all of them. Bottom line is we are all in this together and we should be supporting each other during tough times. End of sermon.

And the Warren County prosecutor posted this:

Warren County Prosecutor David P. Fornshell posted:

As you can imagine, since yesterday afternoon, I have had numerous folks ask me for my reaction as to the indictment of the University of Cincinnati police officer and the press conference announcing the same. My thoughts as to the indictment itself are fairly lengthy-- and I have found that social media is not the best forum to try to summarize lengthy thoughts.

As for the press conference itself, there was one item that really caught my attention, and that was Joe Deters' comment that stopping the driver for no front license plate was a "chicken [crap] stop." Full disclosure-- I like Joe Deters. He and I have known each other for probably 15 years and as prosecutors of adjacent counties, we have a good working relationship. However, I strongly disagree with that statement.

Certainly the no head light, no front license plate, expired tags, are minor violations -- and are treated as such if you are found violating them. However, every day, the men and women that wear the uniform pull over and ultimately apprehend hardened criminals -- even terrorists -- as a result of these types of stops. Indeed, numerous officers have given their lives during the course of traffic stops of individuals who did not want any contact with law enforcement. Timothy McVeigh -- the Oklahoma City bomber -- was stopped after blowing up the Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 people and wounding over 500 more, all because he lacked a license plate. On a local level, Marcus Isreal, the man that murdered Sgt. Brian Dulle, was being pulled over for no tail lights when he decided to run from police. Little did that officer know that Mr. Isreal had stolen the car he was driving, had a loaded handgun inside, and was headed to Dayton to use that handgun against someone. While the ultimate outcome was a horrible tragedy, the ultimate irony is that Sgt. Dulle gave his life to protect his community, and a life in Dayton was saved because an officer decided to investigate someone operating a vehicle with no tail lights.

No disrespect intended to my colleague to the south. I just adamantly disagree with his comments on this issue.

I'm not sure about the city PD, but they've been having a major uptick in shootings this summer, so I think they have bigger issues to deal with. One of the bodycams did catch a pretty epic smackdown by a female CPD officer on the UC guys as to why they were making traffic stops that far out from the University.

As for the case itself, it's going to face quite a few issues, I think. The Hamiton County prosecutor handed Tensing's defense a change of venue justification on a silver platter. The local jury pool is tainted beyond belief. The problem with that is once you leave Hamilton County, your jury is going to get very white, very, very quickly, and also a lot more racist very, very quickly.

Map of incident

Car came to a stop at the dropped pin. Main Campus is the yellow square about a half mile north, Medical campus is the pink square caddycornered.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 1, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

CommanderApaul posted:

Yeah, I was surprised they did that. Obviously it's the politically easy choice, but it's just so irrepressibly dumb from a labour relations perspective. It makes me wonder if they did the math and decided they'd be better off just cutting him a cheque for a settlement on the wrongful dismissal but still "look good" for "taking action" even when it's blatantly wrong.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

frajaq posted:

Watching that Raymond Tensing video. Doesn't police patrols in duos? If yes why didn't his buddy help him handle the situation with the driver

Too busy thinking "No way is he gonna shoot this guy"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's rare for cops to patrol in pairs in the US and it's rare for cops to patrol alone outside the US.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Vahakyla posted:

It's rare for cops to patrol in pairs in the US and it's rare for cops to patrol alone outside the US.

Nah, solo cars are normal in canada too. Some places still have partner cars but it's rare here.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'll defer to the actual cops in this thread, but how likely is it that he NDed with his finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been and the car pulling out hitting his hand?

I ask because that's the only logical not guilty of e:murder anything plan for his defense.

e is a brainfart, ill let my stupidity stay in the record

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nah, solo cars are normal in canada too. Some places still have partner cars but it's rare here.

Lets not let facts get in the way of a vahakyla post now.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
As far as I'm aware, most South American countries, almost all European countries, Russia, China and far east and middle east patrol in pairs.

So America-lite gets a pass.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

As far as I'm aware, most South American countries, almost all European countries, Russia, China and far east and middle east patrol in pairs.

So America-lite gets a pass.

How many of these have you actually been to and have observed?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Skoll posted:

All of them. Vahakyla has been to all of the countries and knows all of the things.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Skoll posted:

Most of em. Sorry I'm not a shut in nerd.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Vahakyla posted:

i dunno man you post twice as much as i do and i practically live on the forums sometimes.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Can you shed any light on how much bribe money a weekend in South America costs? Please be specific with countries, urban/rural, and whether you tipped in USD or <local>.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

I didn't know you had the time, what with charging people how to play video games.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J04HVWLXs08&t=5m19s

How does this work? Do cop dogs understand "Stay in the car unless someone sneaks up behind me. If they do, eat that fucker."
?

Good Dogge. That's one hell of a command. How do you train for that?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Tiny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J04HVWLXs08&t=5m19s

How does this work? Do cop dogs understand "Stay in the car unless someone sneaks up behind me. If they do, eat that fucker."
?

Good Dogge. That's one hell of a command. How do you train for that?

You need the second rank of animal friend in order for dogs to come to your aid.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Friend

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
K9 officers have a remote on their belt that will pop the back door so the dog can come gently caress poo poo up if you are getting wrecked.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
And the dogge knows that door pops open like that it's playtime and you Mr. Badguy are my newest personal chewtoy.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Interesting note: a coworker used to be a dog man. They had an American come up to train with them, and after observing their training he told them they should modify their "handler assistance" scenarios. One of the other dog guys got all offended and said they had the best designed training in North America and they didn't need to change anything. So the American guy says "okay. Lay down on the ground and have the bad guy point a gun at you, and hit the door release and see what your dog does." So the loudmouth cop does it and immediately gets his poo poo rekt by his own dog. :smugdog:

Turns out they'd never trained to assist the handler on the ground, and in every single scenario if someone was on the ground, the dog had to bite them.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

Interesting note: a coworker used to be a dog man. They had an American come up to train with them, and after observing their training he told them they should modify their "handler assistance" scenarios. One of the other dog guys got all offended and said they had the best designed training in North America and they didn't need to change anything. So the American guy says "okay. Lay down on the ground and have the bad guy point a gun at you, and hit the door release and see what your dog does." So the loudmouth cop does it and immediately gets his poo poo rekt by his own dog. :smugdog:

Turns out they'd never trained to assist the handler on the ground, and in every single scenario if someone was on the ground, the dog had to bite them.

lmbo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Branis posted:

K9 officers have a remote on their belt that will pop the back door so the dog can come gently caress poo poo up if you are getting wrecked.

We don't have this but then again we roll p loving deep round these parts

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Smiling Jack posted:

We don't have this but then again we roll p loving deep round these parts

Yeah I meant to ask you how it felt to choke the life out of that fat guy???

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I think the guy who choked him out was an italian, I picture jack as more of a new york jew.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Branis posted:

I think the guy who choked him out was an italian, I picture jack as more of a new york jew.

nah hes probably some spud suckin mick

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I thought jack was hipster cop as featured on the news???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wait, is this not Smiling Jack?

• Locked thread