Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It probably isn't noticeable in final images because of Canon's Fly Control Focus...

Although I didn't think they carried that feature over to the digital EOS models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It probably isn't noticeable in final images because of Canon's Fly Control Focus...

Although I didn't think they carried that feature over to the digital EOS models.

Photographers really have to stop rubbing their dicks on the sensors.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Got a 6D with the 24-105 /4 after much time deliberating, massive upgrade from my T2i for both family/ dick pics, and my stacked macro stuff. Enjoying the hell out of it so far :spiderguy:

I currently own a Yongnou 560 III that I used with my T2i for manual shooting and macro stuff, what does the Dorkroom recommend as far as a TTL flash for a 6D? Would this Yongnou suffice? I figure photons is photons, but maybe there's something crappy about the Yongnou that I'm not aware of. I'd like to start working on portrait photography with some more vigor, and can probably figure out if the 560III will slave to the 568EX easily enough, but was wondering if anyone had a better suggestion for overall flash (on camera, remote, hovering around the shooting area on a toy helicopter, etc).

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 28, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Got a 6D with the 24-105 /4 after much time deliberating, massive upgrade from my T2i for both family/ dick pics, and my stacked macro stuff. Enjoying the hell out of it so far :spiderguy:

I currently own a Yongnou 560 III that I used with my T2i for manual shooting and macro stuff, what does the Dorkroom recommend as far as a TTL flash for a 6D? Would this Yongnou suffice? I figure photons is photons, but maybe there's something crappy about the Yongnou that I'm not aware of. I'd like to start working on portrait photography with some more vigor, and can probably figure out if the 560III will slave to the 568EX easily enough, but was wondering if anyone had a better suggestion for overall flash (on camera, off, remote).

I have the 568EX II and the YN-622C wireless triggers. It's been painless using them -- the 5D3 and 6D's in-camera flash menu system works flawlessly with the triggers and flash. Wireless HSS is freaking awesome. I used the hell out of it most recently shooting promotional stuff at a Spartan Race. It did really well shooting for 8+ straight hours in the heat. It overheated once around 2pm at the hottest part of the day when I was shooting full power high-speed sync blasts over and over with a fresh set of batteries, but calmed down pretty quickly.

I've used it as on-camera fill at weddings, and the TTL worked well both bare, bounced, and with a modifier.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

geeves posted:

Photographers really have to stop rubbing their dicks on the sensors.

I don't think anyone has wanted rub their dick on a canon sensor since 2009.

Except maybe the people on dpreview's EOS Digital subforum.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I don't think anyone has wanted rub their dick on a canon sensor since 2009.

Except maybe the people on dpreview's EOS Digital subforum.

I'm sure K-rock has a KY dick swabbing method for cleaning.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've had my t3i for about 3 years now, and the only thing I think it is lacking in is low light photography, probably most annoying is the noticable noise involved with getting good starry sky pictures below a 20 second exposure. I shoot in jpeg only and have wondered if not using raw is my problem, but outside of that is there a reasonable body improvement that I could upgrade to?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Raw doesn't do anything to effect the noise but it does give you a stop or two of extra latitude with the exposure. Try shooting raw and messing with the exposure slider in lightroom or your RAW processor of choice.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Are you using the Long Exposure Noise Reduction? I don't know that it works miracles but that's what it's designed for.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Drunk Badger posted:

I've had my t3i for about 3 years now, and the only thing I think it is lacking in is low light photography, probably most annoying is the noticable noise involved with getting good starry sky pictures below a 20 second exposure. I shoot in jpeg only and have wondered if not using raw is my problem, but outside of that is there a reasonable body improvement that I could upgrade to?
Canon bodies with newer sensors will be better, as would upgrading to full frame, but honestly if you really want low light performance you're not going to get anything better than "average" from a Canon sensor.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe with one exception

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Saw that this morning actually. Only 30k.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Serious and not-intended-to-be-trolling question: if you don't have a DSLR and are thinking of getting one, be it crop or full frame, is there anything to recommend Canon over Nikon?

A friend was asking me this about my Canon and apart from the fact I'm now familiar with the Canon ergonomics and layout (a non-issue for someone new) I'm kinda struggling. All the stats (noise, low light performance, dynamic range) seem to point to Nikon.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you've got a friend with canon gear it's worth buying canon so you can borrow lenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dpreview posted:

At the core of the ME20F-SH is a 2.26 megapixel CMOS sensor, originally announced in 2013

dpreview posted:

You can pick up the ME20F-SH this December for $30,000.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

rolleyes posted:

Serious and not-intended-to-be-trolling question: if you don't have a DSLR and are thinking of getting one, be it crop or full frame, is there anything to recommend Canon over Nikon?

A friend was asking me this about my Canon and apart from the fact I'm now familiar with the Canon ergonomics and layout (a non-issue for someone new) I'm kinda struggling. All the stats (noise, low light performance, dynamic range) seem to point to Nikon.

Magic Lantern could be a reason, depends on which model you are going to buy and what you are planning to shoot.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

rolleyes posted:

Canon's lenses are pretty dope.

AFAIK, Nikon doesn't really have anything equivalent to Canon's 50mm f/1.2 or 85mm f/1.2. The tilt-shift lenses are pretty legendary as well. Also, Canon has tended to be a little ahead of the curve in terms of video features.

But really, whichever you like better is going to be fine. As someone with a lot invested in Canon, I don't think there's anything in the system that I couldn't live without, or anything that Nikon does better that'd be worth it for me to switch. You really can't go wrong with either.

dakana fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 31, 2015

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

astr0man posted:

If you've got a friend with canon gear it's worth buying canon so you can borrow lenses.

Hah yes, I did actually think of the gear pooling thing shortly after posting.

So the manufacturer lens selection is better? Intersting to know. In terms of 3rd party lenses (Tamron, Sigma etc.) it seems pretty balanced from what I've seen, but if you're going for the official gear then that's certainly worth considering.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rolleyes posted:

The 6d is actually the bomb low light/high ISO performance wise. Canon has dropped the ball big time on base ISO performance but their FF sensors are still awesome performers at high ISO.

The canon sensors usually have a teeny bit more DR at high ISO than the Sony equivalents also (but, it's usually like 1/3 stop , at 1600 and up, and nothing like the 2 stop advantage the Sony sensors have at base ISO)

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

timrenzi574 posted:

Canon has dropped the ball big time on base ISO performance but their FF sensors are still awesome performers at high ISO.

What's this based on? My experience has been the exact opposite.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

What's this based on? My experience has been the exact opposite.

Go look at the DXO measurement data for SNR & DR for say, the 6d and D750.

For DR for example. the exmor starts with a cliff of an advantage, which gets closer as you approach 1600, at which point the canon sensor pulls ahead by a tiny little bit. SNR is consistently slightly higher for the canon sensor (but downsizing the D750 to 20MP would likely put it slightly ahead in SNR, and at least equal in DR)

They are woefully behind at low ISO, but high ISO performance is not something one can complain about with the 6D at all

Also, nobody should be buying a Canon or Nikon DSLR for innovative video features. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
If I go with a used 6D, what do I look for in used cameras to tell how used it is?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Check the shutter actuation count, you'll need a computer and a usb cable for the camera to do it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

timrenzi574 posted:

Go look at the DXO measurement data for SNR & DR for say, the 6d and D750.

For DR for example. the exmor starts with a cliff of an advantage, which gets closer as you approach 1600, at which point the canon sensor pulls ahead by a tiny little bit. SNR is consistently slightly higher for the canon sensor (but downsizing the D750 to 20MP would likely put it slightly ahead in SNR, and at least equal in DR)

They are woefully behind at low ISO, but high ISO performance is not something one can complain about with the 6D at all

Also, nobody should be buying a Canon or Nikon DSLR for innovative video features. That ship sailed a long time ago.

So you're referring specifically to the 6d sensor. That's the exception in Canon's line of FF sensors, most of which are garbage at anything close to 1600. Not trying to be a pedant, but it's an important distinction since the performance gap is so large.

Also a 5d3 with magic lantern is one of best sub $2k options out there for professional film making. Nikon can't really compete there to my knowledge.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Sorry, yes. I'd expect whatever made the 6d sensor a performer at high ISO will continue with their next generation 5d4 or whatever they will call it though. Will probably still have poo poo shadow snr at low ISO though.

ML does add innovative video features - canon though, seems more interested in taking them away :)

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the 6D won't work with the EF-S lenses I have... What's my best option that is compatible?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Badger posted:

Looks like the 6D won't work with the EF-S lenses I have... What's my best option that is compatible?

The 70D or 7DMk2 , or sell your crop lenses and buy some FF ones.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Drunk Badger posted:

Depends on how much you want to spend. Swapping all your glass to FF might be a bit pricey depending on what you have.

Honestly I'd decide how important night time photography is to you, as well as photography in general. A 6D is a great option all around, but you'll definitely pay about 3x what you've currently spent on photography just to replace all your equivalent glass.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 31, 2015

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Drunk Badger posted:

Things that matter most for starry sky photography:

1. Dark skies
2. Large sensor
3. Fast aperture
4. Wide lens angle
5. High ISO performance

It sounds like you must be in a relatively dark area since you are bumping up the ISO to fairly noticeable noise levels on long exposures, and the T3i is a good sensor that only sees a big improvement by bumping up to a full frame sensor (6d being the best Canon option due to its great high ISO performance). So a big factor in reducing noise would be to have a lens with a fast aperture. The lower the F number, the less you will need to bump up the ISO for any given exposure. You also want a wide angle lens to let in more light, because you will be able to leave your shutter open longer before the earth's rotation begins to register star trails on your photo (think about panning your head side-to-side when looking at something normally versus doing it when looking through binoculars). And keep in mind that there is a crop factor when using a wide angle lens on a T3i versus a Full Frame sensor: a Rokinon 24mm F/1.4 lens is effectively a 38mm lens on a crop sensor.

This was taken out in BFE Texas with a T2i using a 16mm focal length (effectively 26mm on the T2i crop sensor), F/2.8, and 20-ish seconds of exposure.

It's also important to shoot in RAW for night sky stuff. If you shoot straight to jpeg, you have little to no control over the color/brightness/saturation - once you get it onto your computer - without seriously degrading image quality. Also, with RAW files shot at a wide angle, you can image stack several photos to clean up a lot of noise and make the picture a lot sharper. And check out lonelyspeck.com for all sorts of great details, tips, and tricks for night sky photography.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Drunk Badger posted:

For cheap FF lenses, start with the 40mm pancake (MUST HAVE), 85mm 1.8 and then the 14mm samyang 2.8 for really wide angle stuff if necessary. The 6D has good enough high ISO that you likely will not need the expensive f2.8 zooms. If you are allergic to primes there is a newish Canon 24-105mm that is variable aperture for ~$350 and Tamron 70-300 variable aperture for ~$300.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

zeroprime posted:

This was taken out in BFE Texas with a T2i using a 16mm focal length (effectively 26mm on the T2i crop sensor), F/2.8, and 20-ish seconds of exposure.

This is pretty great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Thoogsby posted:

So you're referring specifically to the 6d sensor. That's the exception in Canon's line of FF sensors, most of which are garbage at anything close to 1600. Not trying to be a pedant, but it's an important distinction since the performance gap is so large.

Also a 5d3 with magic lantern is one of best sub $2k options out there for professional film making. Nikon can't really compete there to my knowledge.

Try using magic lantern raw on a paid job, you'll wish you spent that money instead on anything else - Red Epic rental, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, etc.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

mrlego posted:

This is pretty great.

That's the kind of thing I'm aiming for, but that's just the primary reason I was thinking about upgrading, I certainly don't mind the improvments is see in other situations.

Maybe the answer is to shoot raw, so I think I'll give that a try this weekend. I'm leaning towards the 7D mk 2, but if the cost of replacing everything isn't too bad, I'll just work more overtime to cover the difference to the 6D and know that I've upgraded as far as I reasonably should.

What's the Magic Lantern situation for the 7D mk 2?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
After some research, I think I'll go with the 7D mk2. I'll be able to use my lenses (and save at least $2k in not buying new ones immediately), and while there isn't a Magic Lantern build for it yet that I can see (I loved using it with my t3i) I primarily use it for the intervalometer, which is in the camera anyways. The reviews of the sensor make it seem like it's on par with the 6D as well. I'll plan to go full frame next time, but unless someone sees something wrong with my thinking, I think I'll get one tomorrow.

On a side note, why is this bundle cheaper than the cost of the body? http://www.amazon.com/7D-II-Digital-Battery-Accessory/dp/B00OZVHGI4

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Any time you see photography gear priced too good to be true, it's usually grey market.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Or one of those stores that is out of stock unless you pay them more for the battery, charger, strap, etc.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I want spare batteries for my 600d do I just buy canon ones or is there a better option.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People swear by Wasabi. I've had one die in my 6D when I was shooting in live view which caused the LCD to flicker like crazy for about 10 minutes after I turned it back on. YMMV.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Sterlingtek. Cheaper than canon and they perform the same or better. They typically last longer power charge than my oem.

More reliable than other third party batteries I've ever used (wasabi etc)

I've been using them for about 10 years in various cameras (Olympus, canon and Sony) and I've never had a bad experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'll check them out. I've realised I'm going to need quite a few to get through a week out bush. A zoom lens wouldn't hurt either but that's for when I have money.

E: Can I use either stirlingtek or wasabi batteries on the oem charger or will I need to buy theirs?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 2, 2015