Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Alright, here goes.
It would appear that most of my cellphone's starting memory is already occupied by the starting apps and what little I have installed (WhatsApp, Tumblr, the Pleco Chinese dictionary and a game). Now, to make momentary room to install some updates, I cancelled Pleco, intending to redownload it later: but now there is no room for it anymore. I also cancelled Tumblr, but now there is no room for neither Pleco nor Tumblr. How is that possible?

I have procured an SD card in hopes that it would help me, and set up my phone so it primarily uses that, but I still can't download the apps.

There really isn't a good solution to this, but there are a couple of things that can help
1/ Uninstall the updates then disable every bundled app you don't want to use (stuff like G+ is surprisingly large). Reason for this is the initial shipped version of the app lives in a separate partition, but any updates you install will go onto the normal app partition using up space that could better be used for apps you actually want to use.
2/ Use the browser instead of apps where possible - some stuff like the Facebook app is huge and the experience through the browser is better anyway. May also apply to stuff like Twitter and Tumblr (depending on how heavy a user you are)
3/ Regularly clear the cache on browsers and other large apps

4/ Get annoyed with how ridiculous this is and buy a new phone that has AT LEAST 8GB of internal storage available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Linked the AP article to 2 friends with OnePlus Ones.
Neither cared.

:shrug:

Xda had an editorial bitching about 1+2 and it's getting roasted on the android subreddit. Yeah yeah echo chamber I know, but these guys are the demographic OP has to target and put up with their garbage for the 1+1

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I'm no fan of OPO but to be fair, had that editorial been about any other company the response would've probably been the same. I can't see Apple or Samsung not blacklisting a site that writes a rant like that about them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That wouldn't happen though because regardless of what you think of Apple or Samsung their business models are way less out there.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ilkhan posted:

Linked the AP article to 2 friends with OnePlus Ones.
Neither cared.

:shrug:

Of course they didn't, they were stupid enough to drink the koolaid in the first place.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OP can't act like Samsung or Apple. Their only saving grace was the enthusiast community who tolerated their poo poo because they were cheap, filled spec boxes, and used a garbage third party ROM that they loved.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

OnePlus can totally act like Samsung or Apple, it's just probably not a great idea because they don't have the heft of Samsung or Apple, to let them get away with it. Now would be the time to be hyper-professional and send off some response addressing the issues and then they'll probably append it and you look great even if you never follow through on fixing things, instead of limiting the amount of exposure the product gets.

surc fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 1, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The S6 is sold at a pretty good price in Europe too now, 530€. A lot better than the 700€ they still ask here in barely-europe, Finland.

Now if they managed to finally start selling the S6 Active here too. I don't want to grip tape my phone and when looking at my plastic phones after a few years, the glass&aluminium wouldn't last a week.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Are there any good ~5.0 flagships coming out?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
New Moto G is your best option at 5".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FistEnergy posted:

I might get one for biking since its waterproof. What kind of SIM does it take? The N5 has a micro SIM but everything now is nano now. Maybe the next nexus will be the same size and I can swap out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I might get one for biking since its waterproof. What kind of SIM does it take? The N5 has a micro SIM but everything now is nano now. Maybe the next nexus will be the same size and I can swap out.

Are you sure the N5 takes a micro? I was almost sure it's a nano but I'm unwilling to check.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Are you sure the N5 takes a micro? I was almost sure it's a nano but I'm unwilling to check.

It's micro.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3473178?hl=en

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah its a micro

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

The S6 is sold at a pretty good price in Europe too now, 530€. A lot better than the 700€ they still ask here in barely-europe, Finland.

Now if they managed to finally start selling the S6 Active here too. I don't want to grip tape my phone and when looking at my plastic phones after a few years, the glass&aluminium wouldn't last a week.

Can't find the S6 Active in Canada. So I might just get the S6 and a good case - either Otterbox or Urban Armor Gear
http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/samsung-galaxy-s6-cases

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

How does the new Moto G compare to the Nexus 5? They seem to be about the same price, and I need to replace a semi-broken Nexus 4. It seems like these are my main two options in roughly the same size range.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Leck posted:

How does the new Moto G compare to the Nexus 5? They seem to be about the same price, and I need to replace a semi-broken Nexus 4. It seems like these are my main two options in roughly the same size range.

Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen vs. the 720p in the G. G has a bigger battery and newer SoC and is water resistant.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Does the 720-1080 make a big difference for screen real estate on a 5", or is it mainly just for media use?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also the N5's SoC is wayyyy faster than the Moto G's

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Athenry posted:

Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen vs. the 720p in the G. G has a bigger battery and newer SoC and is water resistant.

Any reviews have battery life tests yet? My wife is hating her nexus 5. Soc performance isn't something she'd notice but better battery life, camera, storage via SD card, and build quality (her power button sometimes gets jammed) would be.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm getting ready to do a factory reset and realized I don't have the Google backup apps and settings thing enabled. How long should I wait after enabling that to be sure Google has poo poo backed up?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I'm getting ready to do a factory reset and realized I don't have the Google backup apps and settings thing enabled. How long should I wait after enabling that to be sure Google has poo poo backed up?

Pro-Tip: i did a factory reset on my 5.1 Moto X 2013 and it didn't help much. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

Pro-Tip: i did a factory reset on my 5.1 Moto X 2013 and it didn't help much. :(

God drat thats disappointing.

Thermopyle posted:

Man this Lollipop update for my AT&T 2013 Moto X is just complete poo poo. Let me list the ways:

• Once or twice a week it just acts like it spontaneously shut off, but it requires pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds to get it to power back on.
  • After doing the above it optimizes apps. This is particularly terrible because I can't use my phone for 15 minutes while its doing that.
  • Clicking a hotlinked phone number, clicking a contact, initiating a call from Hangouts all take 1-10 seconds for anything to happen.
  • It's not uncommon for phone calls and media to stutter severely like the CPU is under intense load.
  • Other stuff that I can't think of right now.

I mean Lollipop itself is good, but whatever is wrong with this update is just horrible and it makes me want to complain to AT&T, but I'm guessing AT&T won't do anything for me.

To add on to my list:

• Incoming calls are a shitshow. The phone will start ringing, but the phone app won't show up for multiple rings. It'll just have the notification in the notification bar of an incoming call and then after a little bit the phone app will finally appear.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WhyteRyce posted:

Any reviews have battery life tests yet? My wife is hating her nexus 5. Soc performance isn't something she'd notice but better battery life, camera, storage via SD card, and build quality (her power button sometimes gets jammed) would be.

No full reviews yet that I know of for the 2015 G. However, the Moto E 2015 LTE has been reviewed and it has the same SoC and a slightly smaller battery. The only real difference is screen resolution. The new Moto E has benchmarked some really good battery numbers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9129/the-moto-e-2015-review/7

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, gently caress. My month-old G2 just had the notification light double blink and now it won't turn on in any way. Any advice? I really don't have the money to buy another new phone right now. Actually, I think it just might scrape in within a month, which I think is the return window.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, gently caress. My month-old G2 just had the notification light double blink and now it won't turn on in any way. Any advice? I really don't have the money to buy another new phone right now. Actually, I think it just might scrape in within a month, which I think is the return window.

Battery pull?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hold the power button for a really long time, like 30 seconds. Should reset it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Moto X just spontaneously reset (again). After recompiling everything (again) it forgot all of my Bluetooth devices.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Will that uninstall everything? :ohdear:

Holding it for like 30 seconds worked, my fiancee was messing with it. But it only did that after she had unplugged it from the USB I was charging it with, and plugged it into another. Anyone know what's going on? I'm worried it's a sign of something worse.

E: It didn't uninstall everything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Will that uninstall everything? :ohdear:

Holding it for like 30 seconds worked, my fiancee was messing with it. But it only did that after she had unplugged it from the USB I was charging it with, and plugged it into another. Anyone know what's going on? I'm worried it's a sign of something worse.

E: It didn't uninstall everything.

Phones without removable batteries have button combos that will without fail reset them. If your phone freezes, you can't pull the battery to restart it. Instead, you hold the power button for a long time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Great, thanks. I wanted to pull the battery, but like you said it's not removable. This is the first phone I have that doesn't let me remove it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you've had a phone under a month and it's freezing on you, why not exchange it before it's too late?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might just have to. It just really sucks because I'll have to be back on my phone that doesn't have WiFi calling or a battery that lasts all day.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
5.1.1 on the Z3c did NOT fix the audio pausing, but did improve it. The phone doesn't seem to suffer from the lag it had before but the pausing continues. No, my headphone jack does not have lint in it. Strange thing is, it almost feels like it's tied to the accelerometer. If I stop, accelerate, or turn sharply I can nearly guarantee it to pause. Is there a linkage between the two similar to how audio pauses when you pull out a set of headphones?

Then again, it did it while I was just walking normally the other day.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

WhyteRyce posted:

Don't have mine yet, but apparently the battery life is supposed to be excellent on the new Moto G.

edit:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2954577/android/new-moto-g-2015.html posted:

Battery life on this sucker has been outstanding for me so far: I've made it through both of my days with the Moto G without worrying once about power. Even with as much as four hours of active screen-on use, I've yet to dip below the 50% mark in a single day -- which is impressive, to say the least.

I imagine a gigantic loving battery (for this size of phone) paired with rather low-powered hardware is a winner.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 2, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are LG G2s in general lovely, or did I just get unlucky? For all I know this was just a fluke that won't come up again, but I'm definitely looking at getting a new one. I can start a return until the 9th, so I'm looking for a new phone. I just really want something with T-Mobile WiFi calling, and the only other candidate that fits in my daisy duke jort pockets is the HTC M7. No Motorola phones are sold by T-Mobile, even though they make models that specifically have all of T-Mobile's bands.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The Nexus 6 is sold by T-mobile at least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nexus 6 is too big, and it's too expensive. I forgot to mention my absolute maximum is $300, and I'd like to keep it under that. I'm probably going to have to put it on my credit card, and I want to at least minimize the cost once I get the refund back from Amazon.

E: I know I'm a tremendous pain in the rear end about phones in this thread. I'm sorry :(. I'd probably ditch T-Mobile if it wasn't being paid for by someone else, go to AT&T, and get one of those mini cell tower things for my fiancee and I.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nexus 6 is too big, and it's too expensive. I forgot to mention my absolute maximum is $300, and I'd like to keep it under that. I'm probably going to have to put it on my credit card, and I want to at least minimize the cost once I get the refund back from Amazon.

E: I know I'm a tremendous pain in the rear end about phones in this thread. I'm sorry :(. I'd probably ditch T-Mobile if it wasn't being paid for by someone else, go to AT&T, and get one of those mini cell tower things for my fiancee and I.

T-Mobile has a mini cell as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It was a fluke, I'm sure if you get another G2 it'll be fine. Loads of people seem really happy with their G2s.