Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NihilismNow posted:

I like them and the idea of zooming along at 70kph. Not going to pay €7850 pre options for one though. Might buy one if i can really find one with aero shell for $300-400

Upright bicycles that cost thousands are nonsense unless you are literally a pro cyclist in the tour de France.

E: €14483 full option.

And trek sells a 14,000 dollar bike. Pick a very expensive one, with a loving roof and yeah, gonna be expensive.
Oh and for the record as someone who worked at a bike shop (and doesn't any more) new sub $1000 road bikes are all, universally poo poo. The poo poo we had to do to get them to work properly (temporarly) was amazing. (Which is why everyone should buy used bikes unless they are custom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

NihilismNow posted:

I like them and the idea of zooming along at 70kph. Not going to pay €7850 pre options for one though. Might buy one if i can really find one with aero shell for $300-400. Upright bicycles that cost thousands are nonsense unless you are literally a pro cyclist in the tour de France.

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think that it should be surprising that when you trick out a super premium sport racer to have an engine, a GPS tracker, head lamps, and who knows what else, then it's going to cost money. A used fiberglass shell alone is going to cost at least $300. The kind of used recumbents people actually are buying aren't nearly so elaborate. They'll be more like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-E-Recumbent-Bike-in-Excellent-Condition-Blue-Made-In-Oregon-USA-/181689680414?hash=item2a4d8c821e

Besides upright bikes get way more expensive:

quote:

House of Solid Gold 24K Gold Extreme Mountain Bike1 / 10

Only 13 of these 24-karat gold fat bikes will be made. Each bike includes an emblem set with 600 black diamonds and 500 golden sapphires. The luxury doesn’t end there. You’ll ride in style aboard a chocolate brown alligator skin saddle. Also thrown in for good measure is a gold-covered water bottle. It might be a good idea not to throw that one in the feed zone.

Price: $1,000,000

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/10-outrageously-expensive-bikes

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 1, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The gently caress is that?!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Koesj posted:

The gently caress is that?!

That's called a bicycle. You operate it with your hands and feet.

edit: Actually your reaction is kind of funny, since that is exactly what made that bike so popular. The Bike-E remains the most plentiful recumbent ever produced, with over 30,000 units sold. With a striking appearance, low-price and obvious differences in ergonomics and efficiency compared to both an upright and a racing recumbent, the Bike-E basically sold itself. It was basically the first mass-produced commuter recumbent, and retains its reputation for high-quality engineering and easy modularity. Unfortunately the company made the mistake of trying to team up with Giant, the Taiwanese bicycle manufacturing behemoth, who promptly tanked the brand with a bunch of shoddy parts and aggressive lawsuits. Technically the Bike-E is a long-base high-bar recumbent road bicycle.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 1, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not to continue this bike derail too bad but just today I saw a dude on a recumbent bike but it was as tall as a normal bike. It was like a normal bike but you were layin' back on top of it. There's plenty in town but they're all super low with little visibility flags, this was really odd looking by being so high yet still recumbent.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Not to continue this bike derail too bad but just today I saw a dude on a recumbent bike but it was as tall as a normal bike. It was like a normal bike but you were layin' back on top of it. There's plenty in town but they're all super low with little visibility flags, this was really odd looking by being so high yet still recumbent.

Yeah that's called a high-racer recumbent. They are more maneuverable and offer better visibility, at the cost of aerodynamics relative to a low-racer. They're great for racing/touring rolling hills.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Kaal posted:

That's called a bicycle. You operate it with your hands and feet.

Naw that's a toy. For children.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Huh. Is that also a folding bike? Looks like you could fold the steering rod parallel to the rest of the bike rather easily. Fold down the seat and as it isn't that big anyway, it'd be easy to carry.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

Huh. Is that also a folding bike? Looks like you could fold the steering rod parallel to the rest of the bike rather easily. Fold down the seat and as it isn't that big anyway, it'd be easy to carry.

You could probably modify the steering column to fold, but it's much too big to try carrying. It's true the Bike-E tires were slightly smaller than a standard bicycle tire (20"/16" as opposed to 26") but it's typical for the front wheel of recumbents to be smaller in any case. Without the same need for height of an upright bicycle, recumbent engineers were free to experiment with the benefits of small wheel designs. In particular, they offer superior maneuverability, weight, and aerodynamics compared to a larger tire. Here's a picture to provide a better sense of scale, complete with 90s goodness.

Anyway, I'm sure this bicycle tangent is wearing a bit thin, so I'll just reiterate that recumbents can be pretty normal bicycles in most respects.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 1, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
TBH it looks pretty nifty, though I can't immediately see where I'd put my groceries, work bag, etc.

Also gently caress yeah cities skylines, I've been spending way too much time with it but once you get the hang of IRL dimensions, things start to look really nice:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Koesj posted:

TBH it looks pretty nifty, though I can't immediately see where I'd put my groceries, work bag, etc.

The simple design meant that it was pretty easy to make accessory kits, and typically commuters would put bag mounts on the back of the seat. Most recumbents place bags behind the seat or on top of the rear wheel, depending on the design, though a traditional basket or saddlebags are also possible.

quote:

Sweet looking city. Though one of my first thoughts was, "Do you ever go North of the road?" "WE NEVER GO INTO THE FOREST".

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
A 2 meter long chain without a chain guard seems like it would have you arriving with dirty pants at work for half of the year (the wet part).

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

NihilismNow posted:

A 2 meter long chain without a chain guard seems like it would have you arriving with dirty pants at work for half of the year (the wet part).

what's "wet"?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Qwijib0 posted:

what's "wet"?

Not dry.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Maybe this question is too broad, but can anybody succinctly explain why Virginia's roads are just a bunch of clusterfucks? I thought we had strange roads up here in New England but I have never been so blatantly yelling "what the gently caress" as the passing lane on a three-lane highway ends and merges right with less than 250ft notification, or as I pull into a deathtrap U-turn configuration where cars from the other side of the road will drive into you sooner than you'll make the turn.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Most of Virginia's road issues are due to spending a long time as a conservative state with the accompanying refusal to spend proper amounts on infrastructure. So especially when you leave the Norfolk area or Nova, you quickly run into roads that jussst barely meet requirements and safety, if at all.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where I live, people who bike to work arrive wet whether its raining or not, its just a question of what they smell like.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Here in Tampa, We've successfully turned our streets into canals so that you can jet ski instead of driving when it rains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYxDYkmVfnw

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So this just happened :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nTLIuk6Hk

They're searching for people under the rubble, not clear yet if anyone is actually hurt.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

John Dough posted:

They're searching for people under the rubble, not clear yet if anyone is actually hurt.

In the video comments there's an alleged witness who says there is one fatality and 20 injuries.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

In the video comments there's an alleged witness who says there is one fatality and 20 injuries.

We talked about this case in detail here in the OSHA thread.

Latest news is that the whole area has been searched. Total injuries: 1 guy with a hurt hip and 1 dead dog. That's it. Luckily there didn't happen to be many people in those buildings.

(The 20 injuries was a first guesstimate based on how many people dialled 911 to say there might be people injured.)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

Latest news is that the whole area has been searched. Total injuries: 1 guy with a hurt hip and 1 dead dog. That's it. Luckily there didn't happen to be many people in those buildings.

That makes a lot more sense given the area was so residential. I could see one unlucky fatality, but the 20 injuries seemed pretty incredible to me unless it landed on a cafe or something.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Well, it did. There was security camera footage from inside a bar, but there was only an employee there who managed to get away in time. It also fell on top of a store, but all the customers had been told to get out already. Apparently there was a snapping sound before it happened, and the locals had been eyeing the thing suspiciously the whole day, so people managed to get out of the way in time.

e: http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6672939/db309656/caf_cam_in_alphen_aan_de_rijn.html
Video from the bar. Something happens at 0:55 in the video already, with an employee checking it out at 2 minutes and getting the hell out, and then the big crash at 3:20. Looks like this place was already deserted though.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 4, 2015

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

13 year old girls posted:

Maybe this question is too broad, but can anybody succinctly explain why Virginia's roads are just a bunch of clusterfucks? I thought we had strange roads up here in New England but I have never been so blatantly yelling "what the gently caress" as the passing lane on a three-lane highway ends and merges right with less than 250ft notification, or as I pull into a deathtrap U-turn configuration where cars from the other side of the road will drive into you sooner than you'll make the turn.

I drove from Connecticut to North Carolina on Saturday, and I was wondering the same thing. We came across the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge into Virginia Beach and Norfolk. Norfolk seemed ok, but poo poo got weird outside the beltway. And North Carolina was weird too, 795 had 70mph speed limits, then within 500 ft, drops to 50mph, and then....a stoplight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not directly traffic engineering but I'm working on the deep rock tunnel connector in Indiana.

280' underground and about 150' under top of bedrock. It's awesome.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
This kerb is big news now in Amsterdam:

It separates the pink bike path from the tram tracks. Apparently it's causing cyclists to crash, because it's hard to see that there is any kerb there. Some neighbours even put up a camera recently, capturing a bunch of crashes:

And now there's a Youtube channel :v: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5U5FyH2hxjE3O7PH5vYwPg

Over the last few months there were various injuries, and one person got killed because they fell in front of a tram. After that, they added the solid lines, but it only seems to make people think that it is crossable. The local news station said there are some people in the hospital with complex fractures just from falling there without any other traffic involved.

I'm just surprised they still haven't done anything about it yet, despite the media outrage. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to make it a sloped kerb?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Could they just stick some of those tall bendy plastic reflector guys on it?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not directly traffic engineering but I'm working on the deep rock tunnel connector in Indiana.

280' underground and about 150' under top of bedrock. It's awesome.

What is the tunnel for? Obviously not a subway in Indy. Water/sewage?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reminds me of the Yucca Mountain tunnels. I mean I guess one TBM tunnel is the same as another, but still :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kakairo posted:

What is the tunnel for? Obviously not a subway in Indy. Water/sewage?

Bingo. It'll handle all sewer overflow so it doesn't get dumped in the rivers anymore.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Entropist posted:

This kerb is big news now in Amsterdam:

It separates the pink bike path from the tram tracks. Apparently it's causing cyclists to crash, because it's hard to see that there is any kerb there. Some neighbours even put up a camera recently, capturing a bunch of crashes:

And now there's a Youtube channel :v: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5U5FyH2hxjE3O7PH5vYwPg

Over the last few months there were various injuries, and one person got killed because they fell in front of a tram. After that, they added the solid lines, but it only seems to make people think that it is crossable. The local news station said there are some people in the hospital with complex fractures just from falling there without any other traffic involved.

I'm just surprised they still haven't done anything about it yet, despite the media outrage. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to make it a sloped kerb?

Kerb design is actually more important than you might think on cycle paths. Using a low, angled kerb means that it can be safely crossed from pretty much any angle by a bike and there's no risk of your pedals scraping off the top of them as there is sometimes with regular ones. As well as improving safety generally, this increases the usable width of a path as people feel much more confident going close to the side (unlike on a shared road where the gutter is pretty much the most dangerous place to be.) Cycle campaigners nerd out about kerbs quite a lot, and a properly angled kerb is one of the marks of a really well-done cycle path. It's therefore not surprising that there's so much fuss over this, particularly in a city where good cycling provision is pretty much taken for granted. Here's a really nerdy blog post about kerbs - he gets on to cycle paths at the end: http://therantyhighwayman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/kerb-your-enthusiasm.html

e: yeah, just watching those youtube videos now, it really helps to understand that Dutch cyclists are used to sloped kerbs and so think nothing of weaving over them. And highlights why they're so important.

e2: poo poo!!!

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 6, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Well, another guy broke his leg there today. They announced a solution now: raising the bike path to the level of the tram tracks.
Seems more expensive than just changing the kerb, but I guess it's better.

We are not that used to sloped kerbs actually, rather to there being no kerbs at all between the path and the road. Other parts of this street have no such kerb, so that also doesn't help.
The standard situation is that there is no kerb between the path and the road, only between the path and the sidewalk. This kerb is often not sloped, but also much higher and visible and everyone knows it's there.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 7, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

^^^ They'll do that next week, but today, they did this paint job:

And yes, only that little stretch.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Carbon dioxide posted:

^^^ They'll do that next week, but today, they did this paint job:

And yes, only that little stretch.

Must be where everyone is crashing. Or they ran out of pain. Or the guy painting said "F this is stupid"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

drgnwr1 posted:

Must be where everyone is crashing. Or they ran out of pain. Or the guy painting said "F this is stupid"

Or it was a citizen with two cans of spray paint and some masking tape.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Non-thermoplast? Unacceptable!

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Koesj posted:

Non-thermoplast? Unacceptable!

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

drgnwr1 posted:

It is part of the general human condition, "I don't care about your technical mumbo-jumbo science speech, I'm here to get my question answered and that is all I care about"

actually they go there to see if their driveways are getting screwed over, anything down the road, they dont care about.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

kefkafloyd posted:

They are indeed paving the middle lane, which is what is puzzling me that they didn't groove it out. They're already done with all three lanes on both carriageways from Nashua to 495, and this week they're moving south of 495. They're doing a lane mile or two a night.

might because the middle lane hasnt gotten the valleys pushed into it when you get lots of traffic driving on it. Typically they mill the old asphalt to get a even layer to put the new asphalt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Entropist posted:

Well, another guy broke his leg there today. They announced a solution now: raising the bike path to the level of the tram tracks.
Seems more expensive than just changing the kerb, but I guess it's better.

We are not that used to sloped kerbs actually, rather to there being no kerbs at all between the path and the road. Other parts of this street have no such kerb, so that also doesn't help.
The standard situation is that there is no kerb between the path and the road, only between the path and the sidewalk. This kerb is often not sloped, but also much higher and visible and everyone knows it's there.

This is part of why I suspect that Copenhagen's bike culture would be easier to port over to the US than Amsterdam's. Driving a car in the US requires some portion of the time spent on "autopilot" and curbs/ other clear demarcations help a lot with that. Of course sometimes even a curb isn't enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raRcYkvnoZ0