Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

What's this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

What's this from?
Blade of Agony.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Guessing by the HUD, it's from Tormentor667's Blade of Agony.

E:f;b

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

laserghost posted:

Guessing by the HUD, it's from Tormentor667's Blade of Agony.

E:f;b

Thanks for the quick replies:tipshat:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
https://youtu.be/lgUB8aH9eZI?t=11m5s

So hey,

"Everything that we're doing on the mod side is going to be through SnapMap"
You will not be able to create outdoor spaces with SnapMap.
You will not be able to create large open spaces like in the opening of the demo with SnapMap.
SnapMap only does smaller interior spaces.
PC will not receive additional modding tools beyond SnapMap.

:v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Thanks, now I can safely stop giving a poo poo about D44m.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some dumb idiot posted:

So hey,

You will not be able to create large open spaces like in the opening of the demo with SnapMap.

That is amazingly dumb, kinda makes it seem pointless to even include it in the first place considering it can't even do anything useful, really hope they catch a ton of flack for that and either include something useful or just remove it entirely cause there's really no point to it if it's going to be that neutered

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I rather get a more interior oriented Snapmap than get nothing at all to be honest. From what I understand on that video, you can still make big maps, just not huge buildings. And who knows, maybe the backlash will make them upgrade Snapmap. Hell Farcry 2 had a funny level editor on consoles that let you make stupid stuff (don't know about 3/4).

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I hope the themes extend beyond Tek because that could get tedious fast

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Szymanski posted:

I hope the themes extend beyond Tek because that could get tedious fast

"SnapMap will only have access to 3 of the 5 environment styles"
"SnapMap can only use pawns and objects from the 'TekBase' style"
"SnapMap? More like TekMap!" (Pete Hines' bow tie spins so fast he launches into space)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I was certain that they said modding tools beyond snapmap were going to be available.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I was certain that they said modding tools beyond snapmap were going to be available.
It doesn't really matter if it's still the same Id Studio as Rage, that son of a bitch makes Hammer look like Klik 'n' Play.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

It doesn't really matter if it's still the same Id Studio as Rage, that son of a bitch makes Hammer look like Klik 'n' Play.

That might be true but I thought there were options to import new "pieces" into Snapmap.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Not sure if I missed it earlier, but about a week ago an old 3DO FPS called Killing Time was re-released on PC on some obscure DD service called Zoom. Anybody have any experience with the game or the service? Is it worth a look? I've heard some good things about the game, mainly from some people who were pretty into the 3DO way back when.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 1, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's not a single Heretic server on Doomseeker. What the hell!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

SparkTR posted:

Not sure if I missed it earlier, but about a week ago an old 3DO FPS called Killing Time was re-released on PC on some obscure DD service called Zoom. Anybody have any experience with the game or the service? Is it worth a look? I've heard some good things about the game, mainly from some people who were pretty into the 3DO way back when.

No experience with the service, but I played a Mac port of Killing Time ages ago and remember having a good time. It's not an especially complex game, just your basic mid-90s corridor crawl, but the art style and FMV cutscenes give it a lot of charm. It also has a pro-tier themesong, which is always important.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Some dumb idiot posted:

So hey,

Why are they trying so hard to diminish my excitement for this game?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There is nothing about Doom 4 that seems good. They talk like they're trying to recapture what made the original Dooms so good but they're missing all of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I might have asked about this before in another thread, can't remember, but I'm trying to think of a first person shooter that I played on my friend's mac, circa 95-96. I only remember that one of the levels was a hospital. The game might have been mac-only, at least at the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I might have asked about this before in another thread, can't remember, but I'm trying to think of a first person shooter that I played on my friend's mac, circa 95-96. I only remember that one of the levels was a hospital. The game might have been mac-only, at least at the time.
Prime Target?

That's the only Mac-exclusive shooter from that era I can think of. I wonder if Aleph One can be nudged into handling it...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kazvall posted:

There's not a single Heretic server on Doomseeker. What the hell!

If I were able to figure out how to set up Port Forwarding, I'd totally host a Heretic server for you(among other things I'd host)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sensory Overload?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHG8tMjy0fc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Prime Target?

That's the only Mac-exclusive shooter from that era I can think of. I wonder if Aleph One can be nudged into handling it...

Close, but...

This is it, thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus that FOV is nauseating.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SparkTR posted:

Oh man, I've wanted to play this. Looks sorta like a silly Blood to me. Hope it comes to GOG at some point, I don't want to make another account on yet another DD service.

DoombatINC posted:

No experience with the service, but I played a Mac port of Killing Time ages ago and remember having a good time. It's not an especially complex game, just your basic mid-90s corridor crawl, but the art style and FMV cutscenes give it a lot of charm. It also has a pro-tier themesong, which is always important.

The pro-est-tier themesong, I love it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That reminds me, time to replay Radical Castle. :D

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

catlord posted:

Oh man, I've wanted to play this. Looks sorta like a silly Blood to me. Hope it comes to GOG at some point, I don't want to make another account on yet another DD service.
KT is a game where IDDQD kills you on the spot, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've wanted to play Shogo since its release and I'm jonesing for some anime robots right now, so I figured I'd grab it off GOG next week. Did it ever get any fan patches or anything? A quick Google didn't find anything.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've wanted to play Shogo since its release and I'm jonesing for some anime robots right now, so I figured I'd grab it off GOG next week. Did it ever get any fan patches or anything? A quick Google didn't find anything.
It runs, I think. There's not much to fan patch, the AI is brain dead and heavily relies on being placed in the right spot or set to run along the right path to get a shot at you when you least expect it. You use a door and the moment it starts sliding open a fucker at the other end of the hallway fires a rocket at you which, if it connects, will leave you nearly dead. That is if you opened the door with maxed out armour and health. The on foot sections of Shogo kill you so fast you'll need to quick save every few steps, and the health bar means nothing.
The robot levels are slightly better.

Somebody needs to fix, license and release Heavy Gear 2. It had giant robots doing their best impressions of Solid Snake in muddy swamps and outer space.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you haven't played Shogo you need to know that you're an anime robot pilot vampire, and the only real way to not die is to either not get shot or get headshots (which cause a giant purple colored lighting burst.)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SelenicMartian posted:

KT is a game where IDDQD kills you on the spot, right?

I have no idea, I've only read about it. Doesn't Heretic do that with the iD cheats?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus that FOV is nauseating.

You are experiencing SENSORY OVERLOADTM

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

catlord posted:

I have no idea, I've only read about it. Doesn't Heretic do that with the iD cheats?

Yeah, in Heretic, typing IDDQD kills you and typing IDKFA takes away all your weapons.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

SelenicMartian posted:

Somebody needs to fix, license and release Heavy Gear 2. It had giant robots doing their best impressions of Solid Snake in muddy swamps and outer space.

Yeah I remember having a lot of fun with that game but my disc vanished at some point. Would love to see it on GOG or something.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I loved the hell out of Heavy Gear 2. Its soundtrack left a big impression on me for some reason. It's pretty catchy for an orchestral piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpbZfcSiOL8

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Douk Douk posted:

I loved the hell out of Heavy Gear 2. Its soundtrack left a big impression on me for some reason. It's pretty catchy for an orchestral piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpbZfcSiOL8

This owns. Has a bit of a Turok 2 vibe.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The first game's soundtrack is great too. Dat Jeehun Hwang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtkXC4xUmoA

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Heavy Gear and Heavy Gear 2 were amazing games that sort of fell off the face of the earth at some point. The Gear customization in the first installment allowed you to build all sorts of ridiculous suits--take the torso off the heaviest model, throw the Cheetah's legs on it, arms from a third Gear, etc.--and field it in large levels that typically offered you a lot of options on how you approached objectives.

The second game did away with a lot of the mechanical customization but replaced it with RPG-esque point-based "Perks" (that consumed your allotment of points) and deficiencies (that gave you more points to spend). Its campaign was built around a bunch of large, open, alien environments that frequently involved commanding up to four other Gears to sneak into enemy territory, set up ambushes, and coordinate attacks. The Zero-G environments in particular were totally disorienting and their controls bordered on a sim; you had to have buttons for all axes of movement and then stuff like magnetically locking your feet onto the sides of large satellites and space stations.

If I remember correctly, there was also a sort of "create your own scenario" feature outside of the singleplayer campaign that enabled you to pilot a Gear from a humongous list of variants and choose from a gigantic arsenal ranging from different grades of lasers to autocannons, rockets, grenades, missiles, and mortars. It was really impressive.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 2, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Thank goodness lovely planet was only 2 bux, because I do not like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Gear was great. All mechs should have rollerskates. There's a recent F2P e-spurts revival by the name of Heavy Gear Assault, but the chances of it being any good are pretty middling.