Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Sneaky Kettle posted:

So what's the deal with being on fire at higher tiers? Lost eight out of ten games tonight, mostly in battleships, and I was on fire for literally the entire time. As in, this:

Forever.

Once, I actually survived and got Dreadnought and Fireproof. But these goddamn Atlantas and Myogis and whatever the hell just set you on fire, and keep you on fire and I don't particularly enjoy it after hours of that. They just chase after you lighting you on fire over and over, and if you try to charge them and close the distance, you just die that much faster because they out-DPM you. Or they torpedo you.

This is terribly discouraging for playing my new Fuso. :rant:

What are we cruisers gonna do, shoot AP at you from less than optimal ranges? Might as well keep you on fire and citadel shoot other cruisers while our Battleships go to town on your flaming rear end. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I feel like HE spam on a BB should knock its secondaries and AA, leaving it vulnerable to others in your team, but it shouldn't really do much very actual HP damage.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
It alredy knock off secondaries and AA in adition to HP damage from fire.
And possibly more HP damage from secondaries and AA exploding and doing "mini crits", not sure about this.
On the north carolina, every time one of your 20mm AA gun get disabled you lose exactly 1848 HP, and as you're covered by AA you lose a lot of HP from HE.

What a splendid way to spend 11k Exp.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 1, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I got a 2255 base xp game in my Phoenix, is that event still going on(EU)?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Not sure how a Kongo who survives until the end of a round gets only 150xp, but thankfully it was someone on the other team, and we got a comfortable win by capping (and killing off their entire team except her).

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

I got a 2255 base xp game in my Phoenix, is that event still going on(EU)?

Wasn't it a US only event?

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/premium-shop-flag-bundles/

They are now selling signal flags and warchest (gold + credits) in premium shop.

Signal flags are on sale for a limited time (1 month), so if you wish to spend :10bux: on this game, August is the time to do!
The warchest bundle is on sale FOREVER.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kresher posted:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/premium-shop-flag-bundles/

They are now selling signal flags and warchest (gold + credits) in premium shop.

Signal flags are on sale for a limited time (1 month), so if you wish to spend :10bux: on this game, August is the time to do!
The warchest bundle is on sale FOREVER.

Napkin math says Warchest bundle is ~4000 gold worth of credits bonus, on top of the amount you would get for converting the difference between 17,500 gold and 25,000 gold.

Completely converted, it comes out to 43,750,000 credits, or a rate of 441,919.19 credits to the dollar.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 1, 2015

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.
Glad I skipped the Furutaka, annoying string of losses in this thing aside. Aoba is good.

Thought this was another loss due to pretty much the entire team chasing a single Wyoming down the West edge on New Dawn and the rest of the enemy coming up the East side behind us. Managed to pop two Aobas and a Minekaze and bring a Cleveland down to 5k before he turned and ran and the rest of my team had caught up and got in range of the rest of them trailing up the East side.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I don't think i did too badly for my second match in my first BB, the South Carolina. My first match I tried to play it like a cruiser. The long reload times and extremely low speed got me murdered pretty fast. The enemy team had 8 DDs in my second match, so I just left HE loaded...

Full disclosure: I'm not very good at this game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

I feel like HE spam on a BB should knock its secondaries and AA, leaving it vulnerable to others in your team, but it shouldn't really do much very actual HP damage.

That's an awful idea. Simply making a shipline basically invunerable to 2/3ds of all damage thrown around is awful.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Sneaky Kettle posted:

So what's the deal with being on fire at higher tiers? Lost eight out of ten games tonight, mostly in battleships, and I was on fire for literally the entire time. As in, this:

Forever.

Once, I actually survived and got Dreadnought and Fireproof. But these goddamn Atlantas and Myogis and whatever the hell just set you on fire, and keep you on fire and I don't particularly enjoy it after hours of that. They just chase after you lighting you on fire over and over, and if you try to charge them and close the distance, you just die that much faster because they out-DPM you. Or they torpedo you.

This is terribly discouraging for playing my new Fuso. :rant:
Basics of Survivability tier 1 captain skill, -15% to time of fire extinguishing.
Fire Prevention tier 2 captain skill, -7% chance of fire.
Damage Control System Modification 1 250k credit upgrade, -5% chance of fire.
Damage Control System Modification 2 1m credit upgrade, -15% to time of fire extinguishing.

Total: -12% chance of fire and -30% time of fire extinguishing.

Those are pretty much mandatory for tier 5+ battleships and reduce the problem considerably.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Just had a DD game where I killed 3 battleships, then with 27 health remaining, I torpedoed an oblivious carrier, then as the last person on my team I chased down their last carrier and 2 torpedoes found their mark a split second before a shell from a cruiser took me out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

Welp, I only completely hate myself and the game after the grind, but here we are.... :911:
But hey, first game in it stock and I ran a train on another Iowa, a NC, and most of the enemy team for a win.

I'm still 26k from the Ibuki. More importantly, I'm 4mil from being able to afford fully upgrading it.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

orange juche posted:

Napkin math says Warchest bundle is ~4000 gold worth of credits bonus, on top of the amount you would get for converting the difference between 17,500 gold and 25,000 gold.

Completely converted, it comes out to 43,750,000 credits, or a rate of 441,919.19 credits to the dollar.

So basically, the table that was posted about 10 pages back for what the best rate is... would be negated by this correct?

If you're going to spend a 100 bucks on the game, this is probably a good deal. Enough for a premium ship, subscription, and not worrying about buying modules or converting xp.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

grrarg posted:

Basics of Survivability tier 1 captain skill, -15% to time of fire extinguishing.
Fire Prevention tier 2 captain skill, -7% chance of fire.
Damage Control System Modification 1 250k credit upgrade, -5% chance of fire.
Damage Control System Modification 2 1m credit upgrade, -15% to time of fire extinguishing.

Total: -12% chance of fire and -30% time of fire extinguishing.

Those are pretty much mandatory for tier 5+ battleships and reduce the problem considerably.

I've got Basics, and the first DCS upgrade already. The second DCS upgrade is a million bucks and I'm poor, but I'll invest in it. Fire Prevention make that big a difference? I guess 7% is better than 0. :shrug:

Good to know that there's not some clever hidden option I'm missing, though.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I'm still 26k from the Ibuki. More importantly, I'm 4mil from being able to afford fully upgrading it.

Man those Japanese Bofors sure are expensive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Krogort posted:

Man those Japanese Bofors sure are expensive.

It's because 75% of the payment sent by submarine to Sweden gets sunk.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sperglord Actual posted:

I just had the best round ever. Not because of anything I did, but because matchmaking put a Murmansk on the other side and a Clemson on his own team went "WALLET WARRIOR DETECTED" and torpedoed him at the start of the round.

Then the Clemson got TK'd by someone else, I defended our point, and we won.

Relevant Reddit post
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3fepuf/wallet_warrior_detected_skip_to_130/

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

The hilarious part is he could have lived if he hit repair instead of going "J'ACCUSE" or whatever in chat.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Am I the only person who absolutely loving HATES the BB scout plane view shift? I can't land shots worth a drat with that on.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

cheese posted:

Am I the only person who absolutely loving HATES the BB scout plane view shift? I can't land shots worth a drat with that on.

You can replace it by a cruiser like fighter plane at tier 6.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I for one and totally ok with the HE meta. A ship the same as mine fires HE at me, I fire AP and get a citadel. Rinse repeat. They die, i dont.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

cheese posted:

Yeah I would prefer to have the catapult fighter on the Murmansk instead of the scout.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
"It's about the spirit of fairness in video games."

Classic.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krataar posted:

I for one and totally ok with the HE meta. A ship the same as mine fires HE at me, I fire AP and get a citadel. Rinse repeat. They die, i dont.

How do you even find the citadel? I pretty much only get it by luck.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Once, I actually survived and got Dreadnought and Fireproof. But these goddamn Atlantas and Myogis and whatever the hell just set you on fire, and keep you on fire and I don't particularly enjoy it after hours of that. They just chase after you lighting you on fire over and over, and if you try to charge them and close the distance, you just die that much faster because they out-DPM you.

This is unfortunately the frustrating part about cruisers and HE. If the cruiser is paying attention to you, and you're at a considerable range of fifteen kilometers or more, you have about a snowball's chance in hell to kill said cruiser, because they're just that good at kiting battleships around. Because of their good rate of fire, if you try to close in the distance, they will outpace you, adjust their aim if you move, and continue to shower you with hits. Trying to run away is unviable unless you have an island to hide behind, since you are just not maneuverable enough to disengage from again, their stellar rate of fire.

It doesn't even matter what type of ammunition we're talking here: the cruiser may very well kill you in this fashion by spalling damage from AP shells alone. HE shells obviously do more damage because of the fire chance. Like it's been said, you can spec against it, but you can never get the fire chance completely to zero, and HE shells still do area damage anyway so it hardly matters if there was no fire at all.

Not really sure it needs to be changed or tweaked though. When I find a cruiser doing that poo poo to me, I just try to disengage as fast as possible, since there's not that much I can try to do to hurt him. I can try to shoot around the place where I think he'll turn, but with battleship dispersion that's just an even bigger :rolldice: than before. You need your team to help you against good cruiser players.

So I guess this solidifies that for a bit, they're not going to stop selling the Atago, even though it's kinda all over the place right now. They'll just double down on it and sell even more Atagos!

cheese posted:

That view is garbage. I'd rather just close the distance and fire that way.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Standard match on Hotspot, I'm trying out the IJN carrier because I hate myself, and for the first time, I'm not facing 2v1 on carriers, its just me. Entire team just bolts in every direction, while 3 of their DDs drive right down the middle and I end up running the entire match. Not a single ship was in the middle.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Krogort posted:

You can replace it by a cruiser like fighter plane at tier 6.
Not on the Fuso apparently.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
That happened to me once except I somehow torpedoed two of the destroyers when they got carrier-target-fixation and the last was caught by a cruiser who turned around to cover me, bless him. One of my team had the gall to congratulate me.

We won the match, but it could have been a stomp if there had even been one more ship in the way.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

The hilarious part is he could have lived if he hit repair instead of going "J'ACCUSE" or whatever in chat.

Uh he was left with like 10% health and would have removed some of the evidence against the tk'er. If WG actually look into it they can see the TK. I'd of let myself sink too. Report the idiot and then jump into another ship. Repairing would have been the worst thing to do.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

cheese posted:

Not on the Fuso apparently.

Sorry for getting your hopes up, it might be T7.
Nagato it is then.

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you even find the citadel? I pretty much only get it by luck.

They generally run the length of the center of the ship, under the smokestacks and fore and aft gun turrets. Aim for the waterline under the smokestacks and you should be able to hit it if you can penetrate.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

wdarkk posted:

Nice, my bad on not coming back last night, forgot i promised to play/ teach some a3 stuff to a couple friends + a goon. I'm on awhile today for sure.
I'm a horrible person and bought the warchest, figuring that it would be the last amount of money spent on this game ever.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Had a silly fight, ended up with 2 new yorks duking it out, ours with no health, theirs with full. there's was firing HE and died. The net result with my omaha was:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So what's up with the Atago? Is it not worth getting, it seems to preform decently from what I've seen of it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Pharnakes posted:

So what's up with the Atago? Is it not worth getting, it seems to preform decently from what I've seen of it.

Its average performance is really awful even for top 10% players, but who knows how much of that is due to being a premium ship. I would rather just buy a Murmansk for credits but :shrug:
It is a nice looking boat.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Really not enough difference with regular IJN cruisers to be worth that much money imo.
It's not bad but it's not that good nor special.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pharnakes posted:

Its a tier 8 myoko with better torp tube placement. If you can play IJN cruisers at all, you will print money with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
From what I understand, the Atago beats the Murmansk's credit-making ability handily. To get 450-500k in the Murmansk, you need a monster game every time. That's just the average on the Atago, apparently.

OSad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 1, 2015