Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Drawing 4 Thoughtseizes in a control match seems like a pretty reliable way to win. I suggest everyone try that one out.

As much bitching as there was about Thoughtseize being in Standard again, I'm sure gonna miss that little guy and the look on people's faces on turn one when you play a basic Swamp. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
4-1'd FNM with Mono U Thopterbots.

The deck is so strong, I feel like it can handle anything after going 4-0 last week but I lost my last match against GB Elves.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah. I had 3 decks with some overlap (RG Tron, UR Twin and Miracles) plus a bit of random crap from old (banned) pauper decks. I sold it to one of the bot companies for a bunch of credit at their physical store, then used that credit to buy 4 Trops & 3 USeas to feed my Legacy habit.

So are you going to tell us which bot chain has a paper magic store? I wouldn't mind being able to cash out my account and transfer it to paper cards if the numbers were right.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Propitious Jerk posted:

Christ, the CG work in Duels is cringe-worthy. Wizards has access to hundreds of awesome art assets they could shop into an animatic and that's what they choose to go with instead? Why? Who thinks that poo poo looks good?

Wizards is making so much money but is still being run like it has a shoe-string budget, is my best guess

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

PleasantDirge posted:

So are you going to tell us which bot chain has a paper magic store? I wouldn't mind being able to cash out my account and transfer it to paper cards if the numbers were right.

I haven't played magic online in forever but I think cape fear games is the paper store for eh fever the biggest bot netword is, card-something?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sigma-X posted:

I haven't played magic online in forever but I think cape fear games is the paper store for eh fever the biggest bot netword is, card-something?
Yes, it was MTGO Traders/Cape Fear Games; I didn't want to sound like I was advertising for them. The reason I did so well was that they had those duals priced fairly competitively (15% over TCG for condition on the USeas, basically at TCG low for condition on Trops) and gave me a 20% bonus for store credit.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's the consensus best deck looking at the Pro Tour? If it's mono-red, I'm thinking of buying into it (I normally only play MTGO) for GP London, where I live. Otherwise I'll probably not go to the GP, I think any other deck will probably cost me way too much to buy into just for one tournament.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lancelot posted:

What's the consensus best deck looking at the Pro Tour? If it's mono-red, I'm thinking of buying into it (I normally only play MTGO) for GP London, where I live. Otherwise I'll probably not go to the GP, I think any other deck will probably cost me way too much to buy into just for one tournament.

Probably one of the rally decks

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I'm watching yesterday's pt. In draft round 3 Gerry Thompson checks the art work of a basic land and Marshall makes mention of it (25.30 mark of the YouTube video) saying it's rare but it's good that he's thinking on that level. He also mentions that all the art is the same "obviously". What is he referring to? Are they trying to get information about how many of a particular source in their opponents deck?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kamakaze9 posted:

I'm watching yesterday's pt. In draft round 3 Gerry Thompson checks the art work of a basic land and Marshall makes mention of it (25.30 mark of the YouTube video) saying it's rare but it's good that he's thinking on that level. He also mentions that all the art is the same "obviously". What is he referring to? Are they trying to get information about how many of a particular source in their opponents deck?

If someone thoughtseizes you and see's a theros pens island in your hand, but then next turn you play an m15 island, they know you draw an island that turn. It can add up over multiple cards/turns,but that's the simplistic example.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

mehall posted:

If someone thoughtseizes you and see's a theros pens island in your hand, but then next turn you play an m15 island, they know you draw an island that turn. It can add up over multiple cards/turns,but that's the simplistic example.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Tomoharu Saito today on Facebook

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Obvious joke: the 3D renders in Magic Duels look twelve years old.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Obvious joke: the 3D renders in Magic Duels look twelve years old.

I think you are selling 2003 short. Graphics were better than that back then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Propitious Jerk posted:

Christ, the CG work in Duels is cringe-worthy. Wizards has access to hundreds of awesome art assets they could shop into an animatic and that's what they choose to go with instead? Why? Who thinks that poo poo looks good?

Bahahahaa

I just saw it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

All this makes me think is maybe I should buy some Fire of Kaladesh because he's running them in his list probably.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
As if Ari Lax couldn't be any more of a monster, he also hates the new mulligan rule.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

But the new mulligan rule is great.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
They better make a big huge announcement soon about whether or not the new mulligan rule will be in effect for regular REL events. Pretty much every event I've run since the initial announcement has started with someone asking if the new rule is in effect followed by a cascade of players asking what the new rule is, so I get to explain it in detail with the repeated caveat that nobody should be using it. I almost always catch someone using it if I explain it :smithicide:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

qbert posted:

As if Ari Lax couldn't be any more of a monster, he also hates the new mulligan rule.

I guess his point is that it makes aggro decks more consistent? No matter where he was going with it the logic just can't holdup.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Day 2 Standard Metagame Percentage:
1. R/G Devotion
2. Mono-R Aggro
3. Abzan Control
4. U/R Ensoul
5. U/B Control
6. Abzan Rally

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
It sounds so trivial and stupid but I can't watch an MTG match when players on stream are sperging out and constantly shuffing the cards in their hands. i had to turn this stream of constantly. it's a annoying loving habit i wish people would stop (they wont)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I want to build this Demonic Pact deck and play it forever.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'm not terribly in love w/ the new mull rule outside of standard and maybe modern, but i'd never throw my draft pod ! ! !

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I was so excited for Duels as a way to get back into MtG after many years away. But wtf is this interface and why do I have to right click to enlarge the cards? Why are the cards so small? Why is there so much empty space on the game board and why is everything so fuckin drab? Am I the only one who is thinking this? I'm glad they are trying but Hearthstone is so much slicker and easier to use.

E: I sound old as hell but seriously the cards are so small...

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 1, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Propitious Jerk posted:

It's extra weird because right before it there's a nice enough feature of the art over narration. That would've been good enough to get the story across.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

I was so excited for Duels as a way to get back into MtG after many years away. But wtf is this interface and why do I have to right click to enlarge the cards? Why are the cards so small? Why is there so much empty space on the game board and why is everything so fuckin drab? Am I the only one who is thinking this? I'm glad they are trying but Hearthstone is so much slicker and easier to use.

E: I sound old as hell but seriously the cards are so small...

I might be complaining about that, except the game literally will not run, saying "Fatal Error: Unknown Error" whenever I launch it. I am far from the only one.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Where can the PT deck tech segments and decklists be found? As a recovering enchantress player I need to try that g/w enchantments deck, looks sweet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Where can the PT deck tech segments and decklists be found? As a recovering enchantress player I need to try that g/w enchantments deck, looks sweet.

YouTube, they go up fairly fast.

Playing blue red thopters tomorrow for an iq. So fun.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Don't know about decklists, but all of the D1 deck techs are listed here.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Alright so I left magic shortly into shards of alara, and now that I have a job that can afford to feed the addiction I'm looking at getting into standard. Any rule changes I should worry about before looking at the meta?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Alright so I left magic shortly into shards of alara, and now that I have a job that can afford to feed the addiction I'm looking at getting into standard. Any rule changes I should worry about before looking at the meta?

I think that the biggest one has been the Legend rule change. Right now, you and your opponent can both have the same Legendary permanent out at the same time. Not 100% sure on when that happened, but I can't think of a more major one off the top of my head.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Wish I'd gotten in cheaper, but I just ordered the last two hangarback walkers I need from strategy products at 11.95 each before they went up any more. Figured it was a good idea with how many were in those deck techs.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Sounds like you missed the M10 changes then. Combat damage doesn't use stack anymore. Mana burn is gone, mana pool empties completely when a step or phase changes. Those are pretty much the big ones.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jeeeeze Mike Flores is back.

Man and here I wanted Sam Black to keep doing well. I miss his streams.

Edit: Wow good guy Matt Sperling.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 2, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Shrapnel Blast you. Sac my Hangarback. Ensoul the new thopter which has haste from engineer. GG, dude. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hangarback Walkers are 15 each :captainpop:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

kizudarake posted:

Wish I'd gotten in cheaper, but I just ordered the last two hangarback walkers I need from strategy products at 11.95 each before they went up any more. Figured it was a good idea with how many were in those deck techs.

Yeah I doubt they go below $10 for a long time now and, frankly, they're playable in Affinity.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I got in at 4!!!! Go me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

They are starting to give me flashbacks to Voice of Resurgence. Just straight value and almost a guaranteed two-for-one. Now my Russian box seems at little less lovely since I got two of them in there with a Jace.

• Locked thread