Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Only one way to find out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
What is it about aikido that does this to people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06olLYiMvM4&t=8987s

Keg fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 30, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Keg posted:

What is it about aikido that does this to people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06olLYiMvM4&t=8987s

I remember listening to this live and immediately discrediting everything else the dude said because the aikido bullshit was so strong. "It's about redirecting the energy of their force and allowing it to pass underneath you, neutralizing their momentum."

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

LionArcher posted:

Only one way to find out...

One of us, one of us...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

LionArcher posted:

Looking for a challenger I meant to say. Dammit. As for why percent wise nobody shows up to rings... I don't know. I've been considering cross training simply because I feel pretty confident I'd do just fine... And I find myself annoyed that anytime this is brought up this is often times the response.
Whether you practice a combat sport or a non-resisting martial art, cross training is where it's at. In my judo club we had a 3rd dan aikidoka show up one night with the same attitude. 6'3", 200lbs, and we all tooled him the first couple of months. But he kept at it. 1.5 years later of training with us and he's gotten good enough that he did a few competitions and earned his brown belt. He even takes what he's learned with us and applies it to his aikido training. His aikido background definitely helped him with his learning curve but it only got him so far - his training didn't mean a thing without testing it against a skilled resisting opponent. So don't get cocky thinking you feel pretty confident, otherwise you'll end up like many of the bruised egos that only show up for 1 or 2 classes then never comeback on the mat again. Even worse, you show up to class and tool the other newbies (with no prior martial arts experience) then stop going because you've satisfied your narcissism, when in fact you're just king of the white belts.

Cross training will point out the gaps in your base martial arts system as long as you go in with an open mind and a yearning for continual self improvement. For myself, I began with TJJ (throws are akin to judo kata) which helped me with muscle memory in judo but I still got tooled when I first began. Then 6 months ago I began cross training at an MMA gym and even with a judo background, I constantly get caught in bad positions (MOTHERFUCKING LEG LOCKS). I didn't consider the switch to MMA feeling confident I'd do just fine - I made the switch feeling confident that no matter how bad I would get tooled, I'd continue to learn and better my skills to fill in the gaps in my game. It's awesome. I would bet most of us who practice combat sport in this thread feel the same way.

In short - definitely cross train. As fatherdog mentioned, we come across guys with your mind set all the time on the mat. Your aikido will help to a certain extent (tai sabaki, kzushi, etc.) but there will always be someone better who will tool you. Learn from it then elevate your game. Report results back to the thread.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

This is usually the response because most of us who've trained BJJ or Judo or another grappling art for long enough have seen several dudes like you, who train aikido and are "considering cross training simply because [they] feel pretty confident [they]'d do just fine...". I've seen around six or seven. Spoiler: Never once have they "done just fine".

same

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Cross training into aikido is better than cross training out of it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I won't be near a gym for a few weeks but I'll update the thread when I do go. Also, absolutely not approaching it with a cocky attitude. There is always somebody better out there... I'm wanting to cross train because I'm always down to learn more and push myself harder. I'll be entering any new gym with the attitude I'm a beginner, regardless of my rank or how "good" I am at aikido or my bouncing experience.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1st AD posted:

I remember listening to this live and immediately discrediting everything else the dude said because the aikido bullshit was so strong. "It's about redirecting the energy of their force and allowing it to pass underneath you, neutralizing their momentum."

Ah yes, the mobn philosophy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

All this talk about aikido made me curious, so I took a peek at the Finnish aikido federation's graduation requirements. Turns out you're expected to know counters to the techniques at the second dan exam – in other words, your uke doesn't start actively countering you until you've been training at least six years and received your black belt. Until then, it's all just memorizing kata. Which, for fairness's sake, I honestly believe are mechanically sound. They might not be entirely tactically sensible, but that doesn't really matter because it's six years before your partner starts resisting anyway. :v:

Man, I miss aikido all of a sudden. I should go back sometime, I still have about three years to go before my black belt.

In any case, I'm cheering for you, LionArcher! Keep us updated.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I would just like to articulate the state of my goal posts:

I predict LionArcher as a reasonably big dude that knows wrist locks and who , based on his previous experience shouldn't be much of a spazz starting out, will pick up BJJ pretty quickly.

If I were in the unfortunate predicament of being in a battle to the death (or even loss of eyeball/trachea) vs LionArcher in a year's time, I would feel much better about my chances if he spends that time as a practitioner of Aikido as opposed to one of our beloved combat sports.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Does the front chancery position have any other name? I'd love to find a video showing me more options from there.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Does the front chancery position have any other name? I'd love to find a video showing me more options from there.

It looks like a "standing guillotine" to me, but someone more experienced can probably point to the distinctions. (or that may just be the bjj-ified name)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Kekekela posted:

I would just like to articulate the state of my goal posts:

I predict LionArcher as a reasonably big dude that knows wrist locks and who , based on his previous experience shouldn't be much of a spazz starting out, will pick up BJJ pretty quickly.

If I were in the unfortunate predicament of being in a battle to the death (or even loss of eyeball/trachea) vs LionArcher in a year's time, I would feel much better about my chances if he spends that time as a practitioner of Aikido as opposed to one of our beloved combat sports.

This has been my experience with aikidoka who break through to reality. They usually learn quickly and then are able to wristlock people who are are not Bernie after the voodoo curse wore off.

Also same^2 Fatherdog. I've seen this story at least 10 times.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Generally my experience with aikido has been that it's a grab-bag of mostly-useful techniques with no coherent strategy or delivery system and some of the worst training methodology I've ever encountered. So when a judoka or someone else with an established ability to grapple against an existing opponent studies aikido (or, vice versa, an aikidoka puts their ego aside and studies another grappling art) you wind up with a decent grappler who's good at wristlocks. When someone with no other experience just studies aikido, you get somebody perpetually surprised that nothing they do in class seems to work outside of it.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
theres a aikido dojo like 100 meters from where i live. i want to go there to try a class because i have a friend who used to be extremely into it (did aikido every day in a community college type deal, went to japan for aikido)

he has serious ukemi skills though, ive managed to talk him into doing some pretty insane concrete ukemi after we have been drinking.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I did a hapkido class afte doing Judo for about a year when I decided to branch out and crosstrain, and it was scary how poorly those guys were able to strike and grapple

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Nierbo posted:

I did a hapkido class afte doing Judo for about a year when I decided to branch out and crosstrain, and it was scary how poorly those guys were able to strike and grapple

Same, only I did boxing once a week for 6 months and watch mma a lot, and I was scared how poo poo everyone was.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

fatherdog posted:

Generally my experience with aikido has been that it's a grab-bag of mostly-useful techniques with no coherent strategy or delivery system and some of the worst training methodology I've ever encountered. So when a judoka or someone else with an established ability to grapple against an existing opponent studies aikido (or, vice versa, an aikidoka puts their ego aside and studies another grappling art) you wind up with a decent grappler who's good at wristlocks. When someone with no other experience just studies aikido, you get somebody perpetually surprised that nothing they do in class seems to work outside of it.

I think this is a good summary. Aikido can offer an experienced martial artist something, the techniques can be sound but the methodology of teaching is poor.

Hapkido is retarded.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dysgenesis posted:

I think this is a good summary. Aikido can offer an experienced martial artist something, the techniques can be sound but the methodology of teaching is poor.

Which actually makes a great deal of sense given the initial creation of the art; Ueshiba was already experienced in multiple forms of martial arts and his early students were almost exclusively the same. He never bothered creating a curriculum of basics for people who didn't already have a base to start from, and his students' students just cargo-cult copied what he did create.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dysgenesis posted:

Thinking back to my training, the training we did consistently chased a perfect form. "Speed doesn't correct mistakes" was something that the instructors would keep repeating, and that reminded me of a thing my current HEMA teacher wrote a few years ago: http://guywindsor.net/blog/2012/10/i-am-slow/

Basically, I learned aikido as a fine motor skill akin to music or shooting. I didn't realize it at the time, but the way I was training did a brilliant job preparing for the belt exams, but also made me really slow. Of course, tactics-wise I don't know what the gently caress, either, so it's all a mess.

Some random dude from the 15th century got an opinion on the matter:

quote:

Here begins the wrestling composed by Master Ott, God have mercy on him, who was wrestler to the noble Princes of Austria.

In all wrestling should there be three things. The first is skill. The second is quickness. The third is the proper application of strength. Concerning this, you should know that the best is quickness, because it prevents him from countering you.
Source.

Edit: Out of curiousity, what do you regular grapplers think of the medieval wrestling article above? Did old man Ott get it right?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 31, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Which actually makes a great deal of sense given the initial creation of the art; Ueshiba was already experienced in multiple forms of martial arts and his early students were almost exclusively the same. He never bothered creating a curriculum of basics for people who didn't already have a base to start from, and his students' students just cargo-cult copied what he did create.

This. The main teacher of of the koryu I'm studying, does multiple martial arts (including aikido under Ueshiba) and he can move. He's pushing on 80, so he runs out of steam quickly, but his level of body control is amazing.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I had a roommate who found out I was doing martial arts and swore up and down that he could school me with his hapkido skills from high school. No really, if he hit me with the bone in his wrist on the top of my head it'd cave my skull in.

I honestly haven't even wikipedia'd it, that's all I know about it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

the JJ posted:

I had a roommate who found out I was doing martial arts and swore up and down that he could school me with his hapkido skills from high school. No really, if he hit me with the bone in his wrist on the top of my head it'd cave my skull in.

I honestly haven't even wikipedia'd it, that's all I know about it.

Did you shoot a double on him?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Ah, the old reverse wrist-headbutt. Not quite as effective as the regular headbutt to wrist but still classic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dysgenesis posted:

Hapkido is retarded.

I suspect it depends a lot on the dojang; isn't hapkido basically jujitsu with taekwondo kicks?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
There's a good thread about the corrupt International Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Foundation here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122202

quote:

In 2010 the Carlos Gracie Jr led IBJJF instituted its belt registration system for black belts. In 2012, they instituted the same system for brown belts. The effects of this policy were severe. Through the use of drop down menus, registration procedures, signature requirements, membership requirements and other red tape, the Federation essentially forced instructors into expensive, long term contracts for which they provide no goods or services. Those who failed to comply were stripped of their ranks and forced out of the competition circuits. This removed many talented grapplers from the mats, conned people out of thousands, separated instructors and students, and costs others their ranks. It also put many high ranking grapplers in position to sell rank to those undeserving, and to price gouge legitimate grapplers.

The most visible example of the effects of this policy is the incident involving Sam Osman’s performance at Pan Ams :
In essence, Sam Osman, promoted by a second degree black belt to black belt, entered an IBJJF tournament where he was told by officials that he was not recognized as a black belt. Why not? It seems that his instructor was uncertified. Bullshido investigators called Schilling to find out what went wrong. According to Schilling, the signature policy represented a conflict of interests. How is one to ask their direct competition for signatures, many of which require free labor or large sums of money? Essentially, if he wishes to retain his independence, those degrees cannot be earned, only bought.

quote:

*They give the impression of being a Brazilian organization, sharing the same government endorsement as the CBJJ, when in fact they are a US for-profit corporation that happens to be owned by the CBJJ president.

*They give the impression of being the World Governing Body for the sport of Jiu-Jitsu that sits over the National Governing Body of Brazil (CBJJ), when in fact they are a private venture that does not conform to the standards for WBGs governing other international amateur sports (IJF, FIAS, FILA, etc).

*Dispite cultivating an appearence of being the National Governing Body for the US, the USBJJF is privately owned and run by Gracie Barra's Andre Fernandes, and is not comparable to the NGBs for other US grappling sports, or Brazil's CBJJ in any meaningful way. There is, for example, no US national team, or motive for having one.

Beware and don't pay these con artists anything.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ulmont posted:

I suspect it depends a lot on the dojang; isn't hapkido basically jujitsu with taekwondo kicks?

That's not exactly a stellar review

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This. The main teacher of of the koryu I'm studying, does multiple martial arts (including aikido under Ueshiba) and he can move. He's pushing on 80, so he runs out of steam quickly, but his level of body control is amazing.

Old Old ooold man strength

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

ulmont posted:

It's mean to be an all encompassing striking and grappling system. It take the most legitimate reason for tkd using complex kicks (it's a sport and they score highly) and removes it leaving you trying to apply complex low percentage strikes in a self defense setting.

The grappling part is similar in technique and teaching method as traditional Japanese jujitsu although it seems to value complexity over effectiveness.

It also seems to suffer more than average with koolaid syndrome and their uke looks like something out of pro wrestling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiRWqm6DKI

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

It's mean to be an all encompassing striking and grappling system. It take the most legitimate reason for tkd using complex kicks (it's a sport and they score highly) and removes it leaving you trying to apply complex low percentage strikes in a self defense setting.

The grappling part is similar in technique and teaching method as traditional Japanese jujitsu although it seems to value complexity over effectiveness.

It also seems to suffer more than average with koolaid syndrome and their uke looks like something out of pro wrestling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiRWqm6DKI

I won't lie, that looks ridiculously fun from a LARPing perspective.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Nierbo posted:

There's a good thread about the corrupt International Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Foundation here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122202

Beware and don't pay these con artists anything.

I think it should be noted that the villain/osiris guy is jordan tabor who has been caught up in a kerfuffle regarding the legitimacy of his belt. I know he recently lost his position of bjj coach at a local gym - not sure if it was related or if it was just bjj politics.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ulmont posted:

That sounds retarded.

Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMCwtyDjbd0

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

origami posted:

I think it should be noted that the villain/osiris guy is jordan tabor who has been caught up in a kerfuffle regarding the legitimacy of his belt. I know he recently lost his position of bjj coach at a local gym - not sure if it was related or if it was just bjj politics.

I only know the story from bits and pieces I've seen online, but it sounds like Jordan Tabor is mentally ill and a lot of people have said they've paid substantially less to register their belt with the IBJJF than what he says he was being 'extorted' for.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Sounds like it's less about learning basics and more about doing live sparring. If you do some aikido and you're also training judo or bjj or something to a high level, you get a chance to practice the techniques properly during live sparring. I mean it's not like wrist locks and throws aren't real, it's just that you can't learn to use them practicing only against unresisting opponents.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Who would even try a double lapel choke while being mounted?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its fine from guard right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KingColliwog posted:

Seriously...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

KingColliwog posted:

Liberty Bell Classic the years ago my friend knocked a guy out could doing a double lapel choke while pinned. Keep in mind this was against a green belt, but still.

I finally got around to having my shoulder reconstructed from a judo injury and am now searching for a place to get back into it(currently rank of Sankyu in judo). Either that or aikido. I don't suppose anybody knows a decent place in/around central Jersey they could talk up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

Liberty Bell Classic the years ago my friend knocked a guy out could doing a double lapel choke while pinned. Keep in mind this was against a green belt, but still.

Weird. I never knew you could get the leverage to finish the choke from there no matter the anatomy. *shrug* that's what learning grip stripping and armbars are for though I guess.

• Locked thread