Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ah yeah I think I remember something about yeah if it was towards a specific degree it was ok. And aside from not accepting the transfer credits some classes "expire" too

Ugh don't listen to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I'm looking at tuition for 2015-2016 cost of $53,484 -- Columbia University, 2 year program.

80% GI Bill Eligibility so 16,188/yr in tuition paid.

$20k/year scholarship.

So I'm eating $17,296 per year (assuming I don't get a TAship or other position for my 2nd year) in loans.

I'm eligible for federal direct unsubsidized loans through Columbia:

quote:

This loan is borrowed through the US Department of Education, is not based on financial need and you are responsible for all interest accrued while you are enrolled in school and during approved periods of grace and deferment. For the 2015-2016 school year, the interest rate is 4.29% for undergraduates and 5.84% for graduate/professional students. This loan also carries an upfront origination fee of 1.073%. For loans disbursed on or after October 1, 2015, however, the origination fee is 1.068%. Loan repayment begins 6 months after you graduate or cease to be enrolled at least half-time.

Is this reasonable? Should I look elsewhere for these loans?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Student loans are never reasonable. I don't know what the going rates are, but as I recall there isn't much variation.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
For those on IU or P&T disability, your student loans (like from the Department of Education, i.e. Stafford loans) can be discharged.

http://www.disabilitydischarge.com/Home/

Very easy process for veterans, I'm in the middle of it now.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I retook classes that I had previously taken 8 or so years ago with no problem. The school I retook them at did not know I was repeating them however, so I'm not sure that it was strictly speaking allowed. You should probably ask the certifying official at your school how they handle these type of situations.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I've been using GI Bill benefits for about 3 years and provided an initial letter of eligibility to my old school. I am at a new school and they are requesting a letter of eligibility. How do I get a new one? I can go to the VA portal and see my remaining entitlement but I think they are requesting some kind of document be provided.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just call the regional VA education office and they can mail you one an official cert of eligibility stating how many months you have left the exact entitlements etc. The lady I spoke to was able to email it but I don't think they're normally allowed to

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
So...I started class June 16th...how does the bah payment work? Will I see half a months worth on July 1st? Or am I going to be waiting two months for anything

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

You'll get BAH for June 16-30th on July 1st. Prorated by day I believe, as long as its been processed by the VA already.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

FireTora posted:

You'll get BAH for June 16-30th on July 1st. Prorated by day I believe, as long as its been processed by the VA already.

Ok cool thanks and yeah it has

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya just keep in mind the start of semesters and summer school etc payments are a bit wonky and could be a month late

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010
I'm freaking out that I might have to pay the VA back $2000 because they sent me a first check for 1g on the 15th for this summer semester then another one today for another 1 grand.

Problem is I dropped my 5 unit math class, about a week ago, but still taking 2.50 units this summer semester. I contacted both my school (which didn't do jack poo poo) and now waiting for a call from the VA. Am I tripping that they over paid me?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

25 lighters posted:

I'm freaking out that I might have to pay the VA back $2000 because they sent me a first check for 1g on the 15th for this summer semester then another one today for another 1 grand.

Problem is I dropped my 5 unit math class, about a week ago, but still taking 2.50 units this summer semester. I contacted both my school (which didn't do jack poo poo) and now waiting for a call from the VA. Am I tripping that they over paid me?

You'll be notified if you owe them anything.

One of those was BAH. Was the 5 unit math class running at the same time as the other 2.5 credits? Did it start yet? If all 7.5 of those credits are staggered over different time periods it can be a headache to figure out when you are or aren't supposed to be receiving 100% of your BAH.

The other is probably book stipend, which even if they want a certain amount back equal to 5 credits worth, you'll get it right back again if you enroll in the fall. It's pretty easy to exhaust your annual book stipend so I wouldn't sweat it.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

Victor Vermis posted:

You'll be notified if you owe them anything.

One of those was BAH. Was the 5 unit math class running at the same time as the other 2.5 credits? Did it start yet? If all 7.5 of those credits are staggered over different time periods it can be a headache to figure out when you are or aren't supposed to be receiving 100% of your BAH.

The other is probably book stipend, which even if they want a certain amount back equal to 5 credits worth, you'll get it right back again if you enroll in the fall. It's pretty easy to exhaust your annual book stipend so I wouldn't sweat it.

Yes, my math class was running while I was doing a fire class, 1.0 unit, and my other 1.5 unit class begins next week. This fall I'm right back at it again 15 unit semester. Starts pretty soon too I guess. Thanks though for the response.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Just had a few questions about the GI Bill and about your personal experiences with private institutions.

1. With the GI Bill, I have my own, but I found out my dad had actually transferred some of his to me before he was med boarded out. Is it possible for me to use both the time he allotted to me and my own?

2. I'm looking into various schools and a friend of mine suggested I use Service To School to see if I could get into a private institution. I spoke with one of their reps and he said that they actually have pretty good grants at private institutions to pay for a veteran to attend, ending up with a decent amount of money that you can actually live off of. Have any of you had success with this? I can't find anything that says they're a scam, it just sounds really good to be true, especially for someone that plans on working towards a PhD in Biochem as time in school can get really expensive.

3. Has anyone here done something in Biochemistry outside of the mil or worked in a lab while in school? I did some work in high school through a program the university had with them. What are the chances at scholarships or is there a person with a particular title at a university I should speak with concerning this?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Just had a few questions about the GI Bill and about your personal experiences with private institutions.

1. With the GI Bill, I have my own, but I found out my dad had actually transferred some of his to me before he was med boarded out. Is it possible for me to use both the time he allotted to me and my own?

2. I'm looking into various schools and a friend of mine suggested I use Service To School to see if I could get into a private institution. I spoke with one of their reps and he said that they actually have pretty good grants at private institutions to pay for a veteran to attend, ending up with a decent amount of money that you can actually live off of. Have any of you had success with this? I can't find anything that says they're a scam, it just sounds really good to be true, especially for someone that plans on working towards a PhD in Biochem as time in school can get really expensive.

3. Has anyone here done something in Biochemistry outside of the mil or worked in a lab while in school? I did some work in high school through a program the university had with them. What are the chances at scholarships or is there a person with a particular title at a university I should speak with concerning this?

I attended Tulane, a private university, and CU Boulder and the financial situations couldn't be more different. Tulane did not offer complete coverage through their yellow ribbon program, meaning a portion of my Pell grant money was used to cover the difference before I could collect the remainder. At CU Boulder all University expenses, including my health insurance, are covered by my GI Benefits (had to opt out at Tulane or pay.) Additionally CU Boulder matches pell grant contributions, giving me about 14k+ in grant money each year, which on top of my housing payments is pretty sweet.

There are work study positions for lab work and required lab sessions for classes. I'm not really following what you're asking about scholarships

Are your highschool transcripts any good? If not attending a community college for a semester or two might be worthwhile. Really you should just contact the financial aid office of any University you are considering attending to get a complete rundown on the money side of things from them specifically, as different schools do very different things.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I attended Tulane, a private university, and CU Boulder and the financial situations couldn't be more different. Tulane did not offer complete coverage through their yellow ribbon program, meaning a portion of my Pell grant money was used to cover the difference before I could collect the remainder. At CU Boulder all University expenses, including my health insurance, are covered by my GI Benefits (had to opt out at Tulane or pay.) Additionally CU Boulder matches pell grant contributions, giving me about 14k+ in grant money each year, which on top of my housing payments is pretty sweet.

There are work study positions for lab work and required lab sessions for classes. I'm not really following what you're asking about scholarships

Are your highschool transcripts any good? If not attending a community college for a semester or two might be worthwhile. Really you should just contact the financial aid office of any University you are considering attending to get a complete rundown on the money side of things from them specifically, as different schools do very different things.

I was thinking along the lines of work study positions, I know some of them are a bit competitive or have a deadline. The professor I helped was doing stuff under money the school received from the NIH. I imagined there'd be lab work involved, since that's pretty much where you learn a lot of the applications for science courses there.

From what I've experienced, the high school/community college transcripts are still good, whether when I was asking for information on transferable credits at universities close to my home of record or when I was applying for classes here on base. I was told by one of the VA reps at UT Austin that I'd receive a list of the credits from my JST that were accepted after applying the ones from high school/CC to becoming a transfer student.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

VA reps at UT Austin that I'd receive a list of the credits from my JST that were accepted after applying the ones from high school/CC to becoming a transfer student.

The list will be: zero. I go there and I did not get poo poo, and I was in a technical field in the Navy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

The list will be: zero. I go there and I did not get poo poo, and I was in a technical field in the Navy.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was a Submarine Nuke and while I got no credits other Sailors in different rates at my University did.

With that said I wouldn't really expect much credit for your time in the Navy. If you think you know a subject well though it might be worthwhile to try and CLEP out prior to getting discharged as I believe those tests expenses are covered by TA and would reduce the number of credits you need to graduate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
CLEPs are covered by TA.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

NYC apartment hunting with GI bill as my income is really fun

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What's your BAH for NYC?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My buddy in NYC just got out. Works at a bar, school, and I think unemployment

Pulling $7k/month

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holocaust bloopers posted:

What's your BAH for NYC?

code:
GRADE	WITH DEPENDENTS	WITHOUT DEPENDENTS
E01	    $3,474      $2,610
E02	    $3,474	$2,610
E03	    $3,474	$2,610
E04	    $3,474	$2,610
E05	    $3,759	$2,997
E06         $3,780	$3,228
E07         $3,897 	$3,492
E08	    $4,029	$3,765
E09	    $4,212	$3,771
W01	    $3,783	$3,366
W02	    $3,951	$3,762
W03	    $4,113	$3,774
W04	    $4,251	$3,807
W05	    $4,413	$3,927
O01E	    $3,924	$3,759
O02E	    $4,089	$3,768
O03E	    $4,275	$3,780
O01	    $3,762	$3,189
O02	    $3,777	$3,663
O03	    $4,104	$3,777
O04	    $4,476	$3,912
O05	    $4,740	$3,987
O06	    $4,788	$4,113
O07  	    $4,836	$4,194
Read more: http://militarybenefits.info/bah-rates-state/new-york/#ixzz3fR9K7knM

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 9, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

What's your BAH for NYC?

I'm 80% qualified, so it's $2995 for E-5 in Manhattan.

People usually budget $1k or more to get by depending on how much of a loft-dwelling filthy Brooklyn vegan hipster lifestyle you're going for.

Considering my VA funbux and some part time work, I will effectively have a decent salary while in school, and may skate by with zero loans after 2 years.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Did you apply for UAH at all or are you just going to look around?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

Did you apply for UAH at all or are you just going to look around?

I'm using OCHA -- UAH doesn't like pets.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Calling all benefit pros - let's get into a hypothetical about using the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

I am entering medical school with about 10 months of benefits remaining. Each 'term' maxes out my annual tuition payment at $21,084 (note that tuition is ~$23,000/term). For example, my school certified me for 32 credit hours for the period of August to December: I get a 21,000 tuition payment this fall term, but for spring term I won't get any tuition benefit because I'm already at the annual cap.

If I only certify my enrollment for the fall terms, I can stretch my benefits into three consecutive fall terms for a total of 63,000 dollars. This means I won't be using my benefits during spring semesters because I wouldn't get a tuition benefit anyway (I would only be getting the BAH payments). When I'm not using my GI Bill I will be taking out the standard medical school loans.

Someone tell me why this won't work.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 16, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

sharkbomb posted:

Calling all benefit pros - let's get into a hypothetical about using the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

I am entering medical school with about 10 months of benefits remaining. Each 'term' maxes out my annual tuition payment at $21,084 (note that tuition is ~$23,000/term). For example, my school certified me for 32 credit hours for the period of August to December: I get a 21,000 tuition payment this fall term, but for spring term I won't get any tuition benefit because I'm already at the annual cap.

If I only certify my enrollment for the fall terms, I can stretch my benefits into three consecutive fall terms for a total of 63,000 dollars. This means I won't be using my benefits during spring semesters because I wouldn't get a tuition benefit anyway (I would only be getting the BAH payments). When I'm not using my GI Bill I will be taking out the standard medical school loans.

Someone tell me why this won't work.

You'll lose your housing benefits for the second semester but that's about it. I did the same thing when I was transferring schools.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 16, 2015

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You'll lose your housing benefits for the second semester but that's about it. I did the same thing when I was transferring schools.

That's what I figured, but it would be okay. I have 10 months of benefits remaining, and I think if I ONLY use benefits during Fall terms I will be able to squeak into a third fall with a handful of days left, thus giving me the benefits for the full term.

Did the VA or school certifying officials give you any grief about stretching benefits like that?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

sharkbomb posted:

That's what I figured, but it would be okay. I have 10 months of benefits remaining, and I think if I ONLY use benefits during Fall terms I will be able to squeak into a third fall with a handful of days left, thus giving me the benefits for the full term.

Did the VA or school certifying officials give you any grief about stretching benefits like that?

No one mentioned it to me. I just explained to the certifying official that I wouldn't be using my benefits for that term, they said OK, and that was that.

Seems like a totally reasonable way to use your benefits to me. The yearly cap doesn't apply to state school tuition expenses for undergrad so I doubt anyone really cares all that much. People at the VA tend to seem pretty apathetic.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 17, 2015

Original name guy
Jul 11, 2013
Hey guys i got out at 11 months for non disabling medical. i was in from 2013-2014 so idk if rule of 48 type things apply to me

Im qualified for 11 months MGIB, and i think 36 months post 9/11 at 50% (called VA guy said you are always 36 month qualified for that, idk if true) but i thought i was gonna get 36 months of MGIB which would be better than 36 months 9/11 in my case.

Im wondering if anyone knows if i could use up 11 months of MGIB then switch to 9/11, or if ive slighty hosed myself by getting certified for MGIB already (havent sent letter to school yet though, but i imagine that doesnt matter).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pretty sure it's one or the other. And you better do your due diligence because my gut reaction is that the MGIB is in no way shape or form better than the Post 9/11 even at 50%

Original name guy
Jul 11, 2013
for me it is cuz tuition at my school is already all covered, and BAH for area would be like 550/mo at 50%

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Original name guy posted:

for me it is cuz tuition at my school is already all covered, and BAH for area would be like 550/mo at 50%

How is tuition covered? Is it a state program that pays for it, or some other method? I know in Illinois, in some circumstances, the MGIB is a better option because it pays more when used in conjuction with the IL Veteran's Grant.

Original name guy
Jul 11, 2013
Its school grants, no loans. illinois has MAP grant and it pays like 5k a year. School giving 10k too

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Original name guy posted:

Its school grants, no loans. illinois has MAP grant and it pays like 5k a year. School giving 10k too

OK yea then that might be one of those fringe situations where the full MGIB pays more.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is mostly for Vasudus but anyone can chime in: I hear a lot of chatter about how much graduate schools (especially professional programs, such as MBA/MPP) value veteran experience and leadership and whatever. Is that just fluff? Does being a vet really give you an edge over the typical high-achieving undergrads? Say you're a vet who did well in undergrad, but for whatever reason your GRE/GMAT wasn't so hot, and you didn't have a litany of high-powered internships to bolster your app. Were you anyone else, you'd probably be able to crack the 2nd tier MBA programs, maybe. Would vet status give you a better shot at the those top tier programs?

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Sacrilage posted:

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

What's your military background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Sacrilage posted:

seriously please tell more about this because im not actively doing this but info like this is priceless

• Locked thread