Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Microsoft just launched a new home launcher for Android:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/407146,microsoft-testing-out-new-android-home-launcher.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I surprised at the lack of Cortana integration.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
*pls excuse the typos, I have a very broken finger*

So I've been using a dual SIM 640 for the last week - it's great! One SIM for work, the other is personal. One gripe is I can't tell who's calling which SIM so I need to be in professional "Hi this is ABCD" if an unknown number comes in which can be annoying.

The toggles between SIMS are great and on the fly for SMS and calls but the differentiaton between them is too slight - with a blue theme SIM1 is the same blue as the theme, SIM2 is a slightly darker blue. It's obvious when they're side by side but in isolation they're too subtle.

In other news my visual voicemail has disappeared - is is the phone or is is T-mob? Anyone have similar reports? How do I re-enable? Calling for voicemail is such passe "press 7 to delete" bullshit.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 29, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I noticed that visual voicemail didn't work when I switched off data and I had to dial in. Turning data back on reenabled it. This is on AT&T.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My VVM also stopped working when I switched from an on-contract 920 to an unlocked international dual-sim 640XL. Probably has to do with it not being an official AT&T phone :shrug:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Eh it looks like it's a general problem (missing feature) for the 640:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-640/360739-visual-voicemail-t-lumia-640-dual-sim.html
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7677282-enable-visual-voicemail-on-dual-sim-phones

apparently ok for 521, 720, others?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ae/mobi...8C65B829-8_10_1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ae/mobi...8C65B829-8_10_1

p annoying really.

EDIT: um there seems to be a page with directipns though:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ph/mobi...8C65B829-8_10_2

This is why we need more models with barely discernible variations.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 29, 2015

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

My VVM also stopped working when I switched from an on-contract 920 to an unlocked international dual-sim 640XL. Probably has to do with it not being an official AT&T phone :shrug:

VVM is a carrier implementation almost always so it will only work on a carrier branded phone while using the original ROM.

You would also probably have to be on the specific carriers data network for it to work as well.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I've been using unlocked international Lumias with TMob LTE for a few years now: 920 (CA Rogers), 1520 (Mexican? Brazilian?), and I have a both 640 standard (TMob brand from Walmart) and dual SIM (Expansys) each with various ROMS including fast track previews, and various SIMs swapped and changed.

All have VVM except the Dual SIM. This is the only pattern i see.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr Funkface posted:

I've been using unlocked international Lumias with TMob LTE for a few years now: 920 (CA Rogers), 1520 (Mexican? Brazilian?), and I have a both 640 standard (TMob brand from Walmart) and dual SIM (Expansys) each with various ROMS including fast track previews, and various SIMs swapped and changed.

All have VVM except the Dual SIM. This is the only pattern i see.

Which carrier for VVM, it can be implemented in several different ways. MS has VVM built in but many carriers use a different implementation.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just realized that VVM wasn't enabled on my 640 (no one calls me :smith: )

For the record, I'm using a GoPhone 640, just dropped the SIM from my locked ATT 920 into the new phone. To get VVM working, all I had to do was:

1. Call my voicemail from the new phone.
  2. Hang up.
  3. Get prompted to enter my password.
  4. Realise I'd forgotten it :downs:
  5. Reset it online at ATT's website.
  6. Enter password.

In other 640 questions, does anyone know of a reasonable arm band that I could stick the phone in for working out?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Which carrier for VVM, it can be implemented in several different ways. MS has VVM built in but many carriers use a different implementation.

TMob, US - while the other phones set up VVM from the first press of the voicemail icon, the dual SIM 640 calls the voicemail number to speak with the relevant TMob robot.

Chasiubao posted:

Just realized that VVM wasn't enabled on my 640 (no one calls me :smith: )

For the record, I'm using a GoPhone 640, just dropped the SIM from my locked ATT 920 into the new phone. To get VVM working, all I had to do was:

1. Call my voicemail from the new phone.
  2. Hang up.
  3. Get prompted to enter my password.
  4. Realise I'd forgotten it :downs:
  5. Reset it online at ATT's website.
  6. Enter password.

In other 640 questions, does anyone know of a reasonable arm band that I could stick the phone in for working out?

Do you have a dual sim or single sim 640?

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 30, 2015

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

GoPhone is ATT's prepaid brand so I doubt it's dual.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Lumia 1520s unlocked on ATT are dirty cheap right now on Expansys.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/s.aspx?sid=74357682&search=lumia%201520&f=100001

$200 is what it will take to fix my screen. This is a good deal y'all.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
So I installed Win10 on my 920.

I cannot downgrade fast enough.

A simple list of my grievances:
  • 3 out of 4 times when I press something, there's no response from the UI at all.
  • No more unified inbox
  • Things have somehow regressed with the Music app (now Groove music? WTF?) to the point of being practically useless
  • Selecting a notification rarely, if ever, actually takes me to the app that issued the notification. My text messages often bring me to Outlook
  • I really miss the swiping for categories/views
  • Nothing feels as tightly bound as before. This might not be a bad thing for others, mind you.
  • I know it's a debug build, but it's almost painfully slow.

:sigh:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Captain Capacitor posted:

• 3 out of 4 times when I press something, there's no response from the UI at all.
  • No more unified inbox
  • Things have somehow regressed with the Music app (now Groove music? WTF?) to the point of being practically useless
  • Selecting a notification rarely, if ever, actually takes me to the app that issued the notification. My text messages often bring me to Outlook
  • Nothing feels as tightly bound as before. This might not be a bad thing for others, mind you.

The minute you upgrade to Windows 10, reset your phone. That's the only way I can actually use it after upgrading in order to avoid most of those issues. But I would never run this as a daily driver anyway. Not yet.

Also I think Groove Music is wayyyyyyyy better than Xbox Music. The UI kinda makes sense now, and it looks far better. But that's me :shrug:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

The minute you upgrade to Windows 10, reset your phone. That's the only way I can actually use it after upgrading in order to avoid most of those issues. But I would never run this as a daily driver anyway. Not yet.

Also I think Groove Music is wayyyyyyyy better than Xbox Music. The UI kinda makes sense now, and it looks far better. But that's me :shrug:

But "Groove" though? Jeez MS.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Mr Funkface posted:

But "Groove" though? Jeez MS.

I have laid out so many gripes over the years about the music experience. "Groove" is not a bad name. It can even be interpreted in a musical context! It's certainly not worse than "Xbox Music".

Here, I'll even link you to their not-bad web app: https://music.microsoft.com/explore?target=web

Except they didn't bother to register any "groove" domains

:ughh:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Mr Funkface posted:

Looks reasonable, but wary on throwing 200$ now, and possible flagships coming soon.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Partycat posted:

Looks reasonable, but wary on throwing 200$ now, and possible flagships coming soon.

On the other hand, it's cheaper than the 640 XL and has better specs. If I hadn't had to desperately replace my 920 after damaging the SIM card slot, I would have gotten this 1520 over the 640 XL. Still, my 920 was already on it's last legs with a poor battery life, poor stability, fading screen, and very hot running temperature. As a result, I was tempted to get the 640 XL either way since I didn't consider the 1520 would get this cheap. I would have also have to figure out a way to get Qi on that particular 1520 thanks to stupid AT&T and the PMA.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

• No more unified inbox

I tolerate the bugs on the basis of 'it's a beta' but it's clear Microsoft has changed tack fairly dramatically on UI. I've pretty much decided to get an iPhone 6 plus come September.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Funkface posted:

Welp, I bit. I could have gotten half off on a 640XL, so ~$125 + $25 tax assuming they tax based on retail like they usually do. For $50 extra I get a better spec'd phone with the color I want (Bright-as-gently caress Yellow). Thanks for posting this!

e: hope I don't get shafted with phantom touch/swipe issues. Going to get a hard case so that it never flexes. For $200 though I'm willing to take the risk.

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 2, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I tolerate the bugs on the basis of 'it's a beta' but it's clear Microsoft has changed tack fairly dramatically on UI. I've pretty much decided to get an iPhone 6 plus come September.

iPhone 6s Plus should be out by that point. Either wait for the better phone or the discount on last year's.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I picked up a 640 on a whim, this phone feels,looks and works so much nicer than the 635 it's unreal. It got me interested again in seeing what a windows phone that costs more than $80 off contract can be like. :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Uthor posted:

iPhone 6s Plus should be out by that point. Either wait for the better phone or the discount on last year's.

IPhone 6S plus is what I meant. I just couldn't be bothered typing it all out on my phone, and assumed people would recognize that I'd buy the current generation, especially given that I made a point of saying Come september'

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Question for the 640 XL users (I hope there are). I'm thinking on selling my Galaxy S4 (it's been collecting dust as I like the 925 more). Would be a nice and cheap upgrade to the 925 considering that I'm only paying 50€ for it after selling my S4? I'm getting the LTE variant, dunno if white or black.

Edit: Just noticed that the 640 XL only has 8gb storage with about 3gb for the user but I do have a 32gb microSD card ready to use, as my 925 has 16gb (9 free) but no SD slot, don't know how WP handles micro sd when it comes to install apps, read music from it etc... Can anyone throw some imput in there? Should all apps work with my music folders on the microSD?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 1, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

IPhone 6S plus is what I meant. I just couldn't be bothered typing it all out on my phone, and assumed people would recognize that I'd buy the current generation, especially given that I made a point of saying Come september'

Ah, thought maybe your contract was up then or something. :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Even though I have and like desktop Win10 now I might still end up switching to Android in the fall if phone Win10 ends up sucking, or if it's anything like stock WP8 was. Time will tell :shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Uthor posted:

Ah, thought maybe your contract was up then or something. :)

Actually my contract isn't up for another year, but I've actually never bothered to see a 2 year contract to completion basically ever. All I need to do to end one early is to pay out the remaining handset repayments. Then I get a new phone (you don't pay upfront for phones on contract in Australia, you pay a monthly installment - $5/month for my current 930.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

Even though I have and like desktop Win10 now I might still end up switching to Android in the fall if phone Win10 ends up sucking, or if it's anything like stock WP8 was. Time will tell :shrug:

I hate the whole 3 way google-OEM-Carrier update delay/bloatware clusterfuck situation with android - especially in light of the recent serious security flaws uncovered in Android. At least with an iphone if something like that gets discovered, apple will release a fix and then I'll get the update - with Android even when google fixes something, you never know if your phone's OEM or your carrier will be bothered passing on the update.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Guillermus posted:

Edit: Just noticed that the 640 XL only has 8gb storage with about 3gb for the user but I do have a 32gb microSD card ready to use, as my 925 has 16gb (9 free) but no SD slot, don't know how WP handles micro sd when it comes to install apps, read music from it etc... Can anyone throw some imput in there? Should all apps work with my music folders on the microSD?

I've got a 32GB MicroSD in mine, and I've got most of my stuff stored on the MicroSD. No issues whatsoever with any apps other than that at one point I got a message stating the card was being scanned for potential issues, and it basically fixed itself. I do keep a backup around for obvious reasons though.

You can also tell the OS to store specific things(apps, music, photos) on the SD card while keeping others on the phone.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I got an iPhone 6+ a few months back. I really enjoy Apple Pay and using my thumb to unlock my phone, but I barely use it. I remember constantly being on my 1520 and 1020, but since I got the iPhone I use my SP3 a lot more. I can't stand the keyboard on the iPhone and Apple has the worst autocorrect. I miss Windows Phone. I haven't seen WP10 UI, but if it is like W10 on the surface I might pick up a windows phone again in a couple of years if the platform still exists.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The iOS keyboard was one of the many reasons I only lasted a week with a 16GB iPad mini 2.

The main reason was that it was full after said week.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

The iOS keyboard was one of the many reasons I only lasted a week with a 16GB iPad mini 2.

The main reason was that it was full after said week.

I'm impressed it lasted a whole week before getting full. I think it took me a half a day to hit the limit of my first iPad.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
A keyboard can get full? Please explain.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dr Tran posted:

A keyboard can get full? Please explain.

The iPad internal storage was full is what they mean.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The iPad internal storage was full is what they mean.

Correct. A considerable portion of which is occupied by the OS.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ElrondHubbard posted:

Correct. A considerable portion of which is occupied by the OS.

Yeah 16GB is pretty tight these days. The only issue I have with my beloved Xperia Z3 Compact. It's off for repair at the moment so I'm using a Moto G first generation with 8GB. It's fine for a few key apps but if I want more than one game at a time on it I can pretty much forget it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
IIRC it's about on par with a 32 GB windows tablet, which is to say bad for anyone that uses them for more than just Web/email.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr Funkface posted:

Ugh, god drat it. Should have waited for this. Well if that flagship phablet WP is true I'll just get that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Mr Funkface posted:

How long do sales like this typically last? I may be willing to splurge, but would need to wait for a paycheck before being able to justify it.