Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Law And Order SVU is hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZDZ4Mvmrl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EglK8YA5-c

About Todd's Hanson episode, a couple of schools (the second one is on my island) used MMMBop as a tactic to annoy the students into donating money to charity.

Wikipedia posted:

Like many songs that achieved extreme popularity, this song has experienced a backlash against its once ubiquitous airplay. Delone Catholic High School in McSherrystown, Pennsylvania held a student-created fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina called "Stop the Bop". The school played the song before classes began in the morning, and between each period over the school PA system. It was only stopped when the school raised $3,000 for hurricane relief.[4] After the fundraising had concluded, Hanson responded by matching the students' donation as well as sending a copy of their 2004 album Underneath to every student in the school.

This tactic was also used in the "Stop MMMBop" charity campaign at Mount Douglas Secondary School located in Saanich, British Columbia, Canada when the song was played repeatedly before and after classes and even during lunch hour. It would play until students raised enough money to build a school in Sierra Leone. A small group of students also created the "Keep MMMBop" charity, which got students to donate to the same cause, but allow the playing of the song to continue.[5]
Hanson is cool.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
SVU is a never ending show full of insanity. There was an episode where the DA got totally wasted and accidentally showed this hilariously bad CGI recreation of the crime with the defendant's face clumsily pasted on it during trial. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I wish I could find a gif of it.

DStecks posted:

I realize that this is the official thread of people who seek out terrible experiences for the fun of it, but why would I want to watch a TV show on the recommendation that it will infuriate me?

I think he might be making a joke man.

Blue Bloods can be a fun background noise show but holy poo poo the worst part is the clunky ~dinner time chat~ halfway through every episode where everyone gathers around a table like it's Thanksgiving and discusses the big issue of the episode.

V----Edit: "DAMMIT you know that's crap that creep knew what he was doing!" ~throws chair through a window~

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 2, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I'm ready to audition for a part as a defense lawyer on SVU.

*ahem*

"Not guilty... By reason of mental disease or defect." :smuggo:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Everybody should watch A Touch of Cloth

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 2, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

echopapa posted:

*ahem*

Sometimes I ponder the fact that Clarence Darrow would have to be a villain on Law and Order.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

echopapa posted:

*ahem*

There was one episode where they were talking of relationship abuse with three people. The actor kid looked like the Fonz. They could've made a point where U.S. law was way too prudent and have the abused girl head to prison and end on a dark note. But they have to make the kid dress up as the Fonz, have the Judge be sending kids to prison on commission. Then they end it on a 'happy' note where the Girl is free, the kids in prison are still stuck in prison and the head judge has the judge's charges dropped. :what:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OldTennisCourt posted:

SVU is a never ending show full of insanity. There was an episode where the DA got totally wasted and accidentally showed this hilariously bad CGI recreation of the crime with the defendant's face clumsily pasted on it during trial. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I wish I could find a gif of it.

I think he might be making a joke man.

Blue Bloods can be a fun background noise show but holy poo poo the worst part is the clunky ~dinner time chat~ halfway through every episode where everyone gathers around a table like it's Thanksgiving and discusses the big issue of the episode.

V----Edit: "DAMMIT you know that's crap that creep knew what he was doing!" ~throws chair through a window~

More in a sense if you wanna know how bad cop shows in America can get. During one of the dinner time chats Tom Schelick tells a story about how he randomly stops a guy to frisk him and finds a gun that had been used in a murder. Then at the trial he lies and says that he saw the suspect's weapon on his waist. He stopped the guy "On a hunch". Keep in mind, Shelick's character is the Commissioner of the NYPD. I got SOOO angry when I saw that.

I use to love CSI: Las Vegas in middle and high school. In fact that show made me wan't to take up Criminal Justice in college in the first place. Besides learning that real police work on any level is nothing like these shows, you learn these shows exist to make white middle class people feel safe and learn not to trust people who aren't them and Blue Bloods is the worst of them I feel.

Edit: I would go on, but this belongs in DnD chat. Long story short, I can't watch ANYTHING related to crime shows on TV anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Nothing tops the time SVU covered Second Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljQ2HEJkP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2O6XKURcxE

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A rare instance of SVU de-sensationalizing something. It's weird in that it kind of seems like promotion for Second Life, but I bet it's probably just them making sure their older viewers understand the premise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Holy gently caress. That website. About the Movie: "In this movie you will hear from the following: Phil Mason aka Thunderf00t... Name... Jack Thompson... Name... Karen Straughan (who appears to be three people)... And more!"

For a man obsessed with being taken seriously by other people, Davis Aurini really loving sucks at acting like a professional adult.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
My favorite MRA is Name. Name changed my life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyges posted:

They actually made a CSI:Cyber? Fuuuuuuuuck.

Miss Wallace posted:

This gives me life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcC00LLJygw
:munch:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Although SVU sounds like it might give it a run for its money, I'll always have a soft spot for this clip from NCIS:
https://youtu.be/u8qgehH3kEQ

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

Although SVU sounds like it might give it a run for its money, I'll always have a soft spot for this clip from NCIS:

I always have to wonder: is this parody? Or are they deadly serious? Both? I can never tell with these shows.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

"hot new piece of code" oh my god

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

It's kind of sad that I'm used to technical stuff on TV being so bad that this is actually kind of a step up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Little Bow Wow is a Cyber cop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyges posted:

Little Bow Wow is a Cyber cop?

Better. He's a Black Hat hacker who got arrested and Patricia Arquette's brought him in to reform him :allears:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I wonder how many takes it took for Patricia Arquette to say "Install the backdoor trojan" without giggling.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jimbot posted:

I always have to wonder: is this parody? Or are they deadly serious? Both? I can never tell with these shows.

Basically, due to the demographic of these shows being technologically illiterate, the writers of these shows made it sort of an inside joke to write really absurd things regarding computers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Holy gently caress. That website. About the Movie: "In this movie you will hear from the following: Phil Mason aka Thunderf00t... Name... Jack Thompson... Name... Karen Straughan (who appears to be three people)... And more!"

For a man obsessed with being taken seriously by other people, Davis Aurini really loving sucks at acting like a professional adult.

And just look at all these articles:

Ariticles - The Sarkeesian Effect
http://www.sarkeesianeffect.com/ariticles.html

I never knew they had such an interest in solar roadways. How much money did they take in, again?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Robert Denby posted:

I love the part with 2 people trying to stop the hack by typing on the same keyboard :allears:

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Jack Gladney posted:

I never knew they had such an interest in solar roadways. How much money did they take in, again?

Of course they bought into solar road ways. Believing in stupid poo poo is what they do best.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, of course. I mean Anita Sarkeesian first came to prominence thanks to her series of videos examining the portrayal of and tropes associated with solar roadways in video games.

Also, holy gently caress "to be changed" just right there beside the article title in full on red text. Did whoever (or whatever, if Owen and/or Aurni Aurini are to be believed) coded this site not know about HTML comment tags?

At this point that HELP US page on the site map seems less like a crowdsourcing appeal and more like the protracted wail of the damned crying out "HELP US! SOMEONE PLEASE HEEEEEEELP UUUUUUUUS!!! :byodood:"

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I don't get the Sarkeesian hate. I watched her videos and I didn't agree with all of her arguments and thought she was reaching at some points, but she wasn't saying anything extreme. It was basically Feminism 101.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's the Internet. "I didn't agree with all her arguments" and "she was reaching at some points" is literally Hitler for some people.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Clochette posted:

I don't get the Sarkeesian hate. I watched her videos and I didn't agree with all of her arguments and thought she was reaching at some points, but she wasn't saying anything extreme. It was basically Feminism 101.

Some people take any criticism of their personal golden calf as a grave offense, no matter how slight.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Also even feminism 101 is considered too extreme for some people.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

emeriin posted:

Also even feminism 101 is considered too extreme for some people.

People honestly think "Hey this game is really fun and cool, but it has some elements that reflect how we as a society are sexist, maybe we could work on that" as destroying video games.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lots of people who were never socialized properly grew up on the internet and don't know how to handle nuance or balanced perspectives about anything. Now that they have to share that space with normal people they are losing their minds and have a huge persecution complex about not being able to use racist language or threaten women with rape.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think some of it is aging gamers who grew up in a time when there WERE people actively trying to literally censor video games with mature content. Just that, where most people realize that "this person makes points similar to the points made by that person" is not the same as "this person is trying to do THE EXACT SAME THING as that person," these guys are stuck in a black and white, zero sum worldview. (Similarly, a lot of these guys have their identities wrapped up in their entertainment of choice, so an "attack" on the thing is an attack on them directly.)

Basically dudes don't understand the point of criticism, which is no surprise in a subculture where a game getting a rating of less than 9.5 is a serious insult.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Jack Gladney posted:

Lots of people who were never socialized properly grew up on the internet and don't know how to handle nuance or balanced perspectives about anything. Now that they have to share that space with normal people they are losing their minds and have a huge persecution complex about not being able to use racist language or threaten women with rape.

But enough about us,

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Clochette posted:

I liked it when she called out Binary Domain for having a Japanese prostitute, because having a prostitute in a game is bad enough, but making the prostitute Asianand speak with an accent is racist and otherizing. Apparently unaware of the fact that Binary Domain was a Japanese game made by Japanese people.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jack Gladney posted:

When all you have to do to make your voice heard is make a quick quip or hit the Retweet or Reblog button, there's just not much incentive to pause, reflect, research, and consider the opposite side's points. Then you bring in group identity and self-righteousness, and it just becomes downright frustrating to watch. And it's not as it only happens in GG. Winterfox/RequiresHate thrived in this kind of environment. On the other side (GG-related, but still its own thing), so do Vox Day and the Sad/Rabid Puppies. Same for that whole "Let's insinuate and reblog that John Green is a creepy pedophile" flap on Tumblr from a few weeks ago.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

I liked it when she called out Binary Domain for having a Japanese prostitute, because having a prostitute in a game is bad enough, but making the prostitute Asianand speak with an accent is racist and otherizing. Apparently unaware of the fact that Binary Domain was a Japanese game made by Japanese people.

See also her and McIntosh's comments on Fallout 4 and Hotline Miami.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Time posted:

I think some of it is aging gamers who grew up in a time when there WERE people actively trying to literally censor video games with mature content. Just that, where most people realize that "this person makes points similar to the points made by that person" is not the same as "this person is trying to do THE EXACT SAME THING as that person," these guys are stuck in a black and white, zero sum worldview. (Similarly, a lot of these guys have their identities wrapped up in their entertainment of choice, so an "attack" on the thing is an attack on them directly.)

This is why it's hilarious that GamerGate welcomed the support of Jack Thompson, a man who actually tried to wreck video games, because he criticised Anita Sarkeesian, who they think is trying to wreck video games.

Honestly, I actually quite like how Hbomberguy described it a while back - Sarkeesian is, to some of these people, a kind of "load-bearing feminist". She is the most prominent commentator who critiques computer games from a feminist perspective, and is thus emblematic of all commentators who critique games from a feminist perspective. Thus, if only she can be destroyed, then the entire edifice of feminism in game criticism will come crumbling down with her.

Now, I'd say to some extent it can go both ways, and some of her supporters can take the same perspective from the other direction. However, to the best of my knowledge, they're not sending out death threats or doxxing anyone (they're certainly wrong to do it if they are, it should go without saying), so I'm less inclined to think they're a major problem.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just watched Todd's newest video, and I would never have guessed that Todd is a fan of Hanson.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

boom boom boom posted:

So how's that Captain Rapemerica movie going.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So how's that Captain Rapemerica movie going.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

She did the same with a game centered around the Vietnam war.. Cause thats totally not a thing that happened in real life or something.

• Locked thread