Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Davincie posted:

its going to be alice fuckers

THIS.

Alice is da best. :allears::hf::swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

THIS.

Alice is da best. :allears::hf::swoon:

Once Alice is around in the anime, I may create an Alice Faces folder to go next to my Nozaki-kun Chiyo Faces folder. I hope they do Aliceface justice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Davincie posted:

Though your heart may desire it, your brain knows better.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

alice is top tier for sure

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

alice is top tier for sure

Manga authors are notoriously bad at constructing tier lists.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Davincie posted:

After the latest chaper i'm pretty sure it will be Nao. They'll bond over their love of cooking horrible things. :colbert:

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Manga authors are notoriously bad at constructing tier lists.

Manga authors are notoriously bad at not inevitably forcing a romance between their protagonist the first girl he meets, who is unduly malicious towards him.
Or more likely it's that the shonen-buying public is notoriously bad at not demanding exactly that.

We all knew before it was shown how the character popularity poll was going to shake out.

1. Protagonist
2. First girl protagonist met, who happens to be an unrepentant bitch to him at all times, that will inexplicably fall in love with him eventually
3. Rival who is fundamentally identical to protagonist, whom certain segments of the fan base are convinced that their rivalry is based on underlying sexual tension
4-6. Female characters that aren't terrible

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

After the latest chaper i'm pretty sure it will be Nao. They'll bond over their love of cooking horrible things. :colbert:

i like her too. tadakoro is ok too

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Soma will marry Erina, but at least Nao will marry Hishoko and we can celebrate their weird creepy love

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Davincie posted:

i like her too. tadakoro is ok too

Honestly, anyone but Erina. Unfortunate that Erina is the one he'll end up with, but that's Shonen for ya.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Actually according to many years of studying anime Soma is statistically most likely to end up with Kurase.

KoB
May 1, 2009
As an expert Shonenologist, its always the first girl. So Erina.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

KoB posted:

As an expert Shonenologist, its always the first girl. So Erina.

Wouldn't it be the childhood friend from his hometown then

KoB
May 1, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Only if in a surprise twist it turns out she was Erina.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

KoB posted:

Only if in a surprise twist it turns out she was Erina.

Considering Erina knows his dad, they've probably met as kids and just can't remember it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Considering Soma's dad apparently fell in love with some random woman completely unrelated to the high stakes world of super cooking, I half expect Soma's love interest to be randomly introduced midway through a future arc.

Or maybe she was already introduced and has been in the background this entire time. :tinfoil:

it's going to be erina

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you know guys, the first girl wasn't erina....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

Considering Soma's dad apparently fell in love with some random woman completely unrelated to the high stakes world of super cooking, I half expect Soma's love interest to be randomly introduced midway through a future arc.

Or maybe she was already introduced and has been in the background this entire time. :tinfoil:

it's going to be erina

It's gonna be Erina.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Generally speaking, childhood friends can only win if they haven't been present in the MC's life for a while prior to the start of the series. I.e., they are First Girl only if they re-enter the MC's life at the beginning of the series, and not First Girl if they've been living with him the whole time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wow, all this talk about how Soma's an rear end in a top hat, or something like that.

You guys forgot about the shokugeki against Mimisaka, didn't you? Where he returned 99 knives to their owners? (minus Takumi) I don't know about you, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't earn him major points around the entire campus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Davincie posted:

Alice already has someone though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alice has a side-harem in the making.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nothing wrong with having more than one dog.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nothing wrong with a group of harems linking up

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Generally speaking, childhood friends can only win if they haven't been present in the MC's life for a while prior to the start of the series. I.e., they are First Girl only if they re-enter the MC's life at the beginning of the series, and not First Girl if they've been living with him the whole time.

Cynic Jester posted:

Considering Erina knows his dad, they've probably met as kids and just can't remember it.

ding ding ding we have a winner.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pretty sure romance is the least concern for the author. If there is, it'll be at the last minute as the series wraps up and Soma is paired off with his one true waifu.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Begemot posted:

Alice has a side-harem in the making.

That's why she's a bro, not a love interest, to Soma. A couple hudnred chapters from now they'll be talking about their respective harem problems and fist bump.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

pentyne posted:

Pretty sure romance is the least concern for the author. If there is, it'll be at the last minute as the series wraps up and Soma is paired off with his one true waifu.

See also Naruto and DBZ. Though that did give us dad-mustache Vegeta.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Saw the anime for the first time. It amuses me that Doujima is being played by Koyasu Takehito. It is a bit disappointing to see him reined in, relatively speaking, though. =D

I just looked at what he's done and he's the new voice of ZATO1 in Guilty Gear... that last boss type guy in Samurai Champloo... holy poo poo DIO?!

Please say his Manga appearances take on something worthy of the DIO voice

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he does pose naked constantly while showing off his massive muscles

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Davincie posted:

he does pose naked constantly while showing off his massive muscles

With this panel composition there was no way he wasn't going to be Koyasu

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've made apple and bacon risotto for dinner again, here's pictures.

Ingredients (for 1 serving)

Left to right: apple juice, white wine (about 1/3 glass), 80-100 grams rice (about half a cup), 1/4 onion (pictured: a whole onion, use either white or golden onion, not red), 1/2 apple (pictured: a whole apple, use a firm, tart apple, like you would for a cake, this one's a Fuji apple), pepper, 1 slice bacon (I cheated: bacon is nigh-impossible to find here, so what you see is pancetta). Not pictured: hot water and vegetable stock.

Dice the bacon and put in a non-stick pan, fry over low heat until crispy, set aside (drain the fat).

Peel and dice the onion, put in same pan, cook until slightly browned.

Add hot water (just enough to cover the onion), let simmer over low heat.

Meanwhile: peel, core and dice the apple.

When the onion's water is almost completely evaporated and the onion is translucent,

add rice, stir and leave it to get toasted over low heat for about two-three minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it doesn't burn.

Add white wine, just enough to cover the rice (drink the rest if you want), stir, let cook until the wine's absorbed or evaporated.

Add vegetable stock, once again just enough to cover the rice, and cook over medium heat. When the stock's about halfway gone,

start adding apple juice. Keep adding the juice as it's absorbed, stirring about once every minute so the rice's cooked evenly.

Cook until the rice's done (taste it to determine when it's cooked: it should be al dente, meaning that it must be firm under your teeth, but not crunchy). Turn off the heat and let rest for about one-two minutes.

Stir in the diced apple.

Plate: put the risotto in the plate, place the bacon over one side, add pepper to taste.

And I know I'll get lynched for recommending this (beer with a risotto? :argh:), but it goes really well with a light-tasting pale beer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd agree that something light like an apple risotto would require something light to drink like a white wine or a lighter beer. Ironically, Cider would probably be the wrong choice.

How did it taste?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd agree that something light like an apple risotto would require something light to drink like a white wine or a lighter beer. Ironically, Cider would probably be the wrong choice.

How did it taste?

Really sweet. Actually, I'd say too sweet, it probably needs a more salty component to contrast with the apple juice's sweetness. Next time I'll probably try mixing apple juice and vegetable stock in 1:1 ratio and use that to cook the risotto, rather than some stock, then all juice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

Really sweet. Actually, I'd say too sweet, it probably needs a more salty component to contrast with the apple juice's sweetness. Next time I'll probably try mixing apple juice and vegetable stock in 1:1 ratio and use that to cook the risotto, rather than some stock, then all juice.

It may just need less sweetness overall so you'd just need to water down the apple juice or possibly some apple cider vinegar to cut the sweetness with a sour component (or lemon if vinegar isn't your thing). Different countries and different brands make apple juice a little differently which may be part of the discrepancy. I would be a little wary about extra vegetable stock unless you felt that the dish wasn't salty enough as a whole, but the sweetness of the whole thing probably made that hard to gauge.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno if you're american but IIRC the japanese are often very surprised at just how sweet american (and possibly western in general) sweets are, so the recipe might've assumed a milder version of the apple juice.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Big souma: http://casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/129/page/2

Legitimately cracked up at the reveal

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I legitimately forgot that copy-dude was a character of vague importance in this series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
God that reveal was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I legitimately forgot that copy-dude was a character of vague importance in this series.

He's definitely the perfect guy to help out anybody. It'd actually be interesting to watch him go up against an Elite just watch them try and out prep-time and improvise over each other.