Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
How do I un-station a guard? I wound up with three of mine patrolling the visitation room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

How do I un-station a guard? I wound up with three of mine patrolling the visitation room.

RIght click in the deployment view to remove deployments.

If you just mean a guard you told to move there, he'll get bored and leave eventually.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I had a crappy common room that was hotly contested by all three gangs in my prison. However it go to a point where with the crackdowns and armed guards, everyone was supressed.

So I got twenty-four gang members, eight of three gangs, that would simulataneously try and make a play for the common room, but due to the small guard presence plus their being suppressed, nothing ever happened. They just stood around awkwardly for two to four hours doing absolutely nothing, then putting their shirts on and leaving.

I can only imagine the conversations after about an hour of awkward silence.

quote:

"We're in a gang."
"So are we."
"Us too."
"When is lunch?"
"About an hour and a half."
"Ok."

I also found that if you simultaneously put your gang leaders in solitary, that will almost guarantee a catastrophic, prison-destroying riot. Instantly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Three-Phase posted:

I had a crappy common room that was hotly contested by all three gangs in my prison. However it go to a point where with the crackdowns and armed guards, everyone was supressed.

So I got twenty-four gang members, eight of three gangs, that would simulataneously try and make a play for the common room, but due to the small guard presence plus their being suppressed, nothing ever happened. They just stood around awkwardly for two to four hours doing absolutely nothing, then putting their shirts on and leaving.

I also found that if you simultaneously put your gang leaders in solitary, that will almost guarantee a catastrophic, prison-destroying riot. Instantly.

That is hilarious. I have just started playing again and I am hoping for stuff like this.

My only wish at the moment is for some way to direct that THIS inmate have THIS cell so I can sort the gangs. Right now the only real way is to screw with the danger rankings and I feel bad mixing tax evading accountants with the Crips

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

That seems like it'd make for a pretty suspenseful scene. The three gangs loitering on their sides of the common room and eyeing each other down as the handful of guards sweat bullets, but nothing ever happens.

Right now there's equilibrium but as soon as the day-to-day life of prison sees one gang lose enough members to parole, release or solitary, then poo poo will hit the fan.

I would watch that bottle episode.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Three-Phase posted:

After a few month break from the game, I think I just found what I'm going to go for tonight.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there a reason why my framerate is fine in every situation and layover, but utterly tanks when i go to the Deployment menu?

VVVV Oh, uh, I guess you can. For some reason it wasn't working the last time I did it so I thought I imagined that I could do it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 1, 2015

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My only wish at the moment is for some way to direct that THIS inmate have THIS cell so I can sort the gangs. Right now the only real way is to screw with the danger rankings and I feel bad mixing tax evading accountants with the Crips

Can't you still left click on a prisoner, and then right click on a cell to assign them to that cell?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is there a reason why my framerate is fine in every situation and layover, but utterly tanks when i go to the Deployment menu?

I don't know why, but I'm definitely getting that too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Can't you still left click on a prisoner, and then right click on a cell to assign them to that cell?

I think you can, but with the new system for cell quality, manually assigned prisoners are likely to get moved automatically again due to being reassigned to a higher/lower quality cell.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What happens if you load a save from the previous update in this new one?

Prison Architect is pretty good about that iirc... I just finished building a nice prison and I don't wanna rebuild :(

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tehan posted:

That seems like it'd make for a pretty suspenseful scene. The three gangs loitering on their sides of the common room and eyeing each other down as the handful of guards sweat bullets, but nothing ever happens.

Well the other thing is that the common room in this case is just a repurposed hallway into my secured area containing the library, classroom, and two workshop. It's used to funnel people into those areas through a set of metal detectors. It's just a bunch of chairs and some telephones, so it's the crappiest little place but for some reason it was very hotly contested.

That hallway also had a staff door that went to a security room. So the one or two times a major fight broke out there, it was snuffed pretty quickly. Then it just turned into a multilateral staring contest.

One other thing I did was take the three gang leaders and three of their lieutenants and throw them all into a highly isolated superman area. I think that with the leaders isolated, there is no new recruitment, and with the lieutenants isolated, there aren't any "plays" for territory. I think they need to implement some kind of system where if a gang leader is isolated that way, one of the lieutenants will eventually be promoted to a leader.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

One other thing I did was take the three gang leaders and three of their lieutenants and throw them all into a highly isolated superman area. I think that with the leaders isolated, there is no new recruitment, and with the lieutenants isolated, there aren't any "plays" for territory. I think they need to implement some kind of system where if a gang leader is isolated that way, one of the lieutenants will eventually be promoted to a leader.

I think it'd be cool if isolated gang leaders could send orders around through some form of contraband. It might be a bit more than the contraband system is built for, but it'd be atmospheric as hell. Judging by what they said in the demo video, real-life gang leaders are generally in pretty much constant solitary but they sneak messages out to their underlings.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tenebrais posted:

I think it'd be cool if isolated gang leaders could send orders around through some form of contraband. It might be a bit more than the contraband system is built for, but it'd be atmospheric as hell. Judging by what they said in the demo video, real-life gang leaders are generally in pretty much constant solitary but they sneak messages out to their underlings.

Time to move my gang members to their own little isolated area.

I'm even putting it's own electric generator just for that area. And it's far away from any structures.

And it's gonna be remotely monitored.

And it's going to have zero sprinklers.

I'm sure everything will go fine.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 2, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Three-Phase posted:

In my prison the gang problem immediately went away due to a terrible unforeseen disaster.

The entire gang population was moved to an isolated superman area - even with it's own generator. The firefighters visiting the facility were doing a little test when some water was accidentally sprayed on the generator, and I accidentally ordered the firefighters to leave after that. And I needed a cup of coffee so the instant I turn my back on the prison, lo and behold the entire cellblock has burned to the ground and those helpless gang members all perished.

The CEO was a bit upset and I had to tread carefully for 24 hours.

That is a terrible combination of accidents and coincidences that no one could have foreseen.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Dareon posted:

That is a terrible combination of accidents and coincidences that no one could have foreseen.

Sometimes justified bad things happen to people innocent people.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah that would be cool. I don't know how it would work either but something you see a lot in prison movies/TV shows is the old "messages written on toilet paper and smuggled to another part of the prison."

Actually something that probably would work would be if staff members could be subverted to do things for prisoners. It would require staff to be given more individual personality than they have now, but it would make a lot of sense if particularly corrupt guards could be bribed by gang leaders to pass notes from supermax to their lieutenants in gen pop, since guards generally move all over the prison and would be the perfect conduit.

I don't think it will happen since that would be a pretty fundamental change to how the game works so close to the official "release", but it would be a fairly natural way for gangs to communicate between isolated cell blocks.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah that would be cool. I don't know how it would work either but something you see a lot in prison movies/TV shows is the old "messages written on toilet paper and smuggled to another part of the prison."

Actually something that probably would work would be if staff members could be subverted to do things for prisoners. It would require staff to be given more individual personality than they have now, but it would make a lot of sense if particularly corrupt guards could be bribed by gang leaders to pass notes from supermax to their lieutenants in gen pop, since guards generally move all over the prison and would be the perfect conduit.

I don't think it will happen since that would be a pretty fundamental change to how the game works so close to the official "release", but it would be a fairly natural way for gangs to communicate between isolated cell blocks.

Corruption is bound to be one of the new features before release. Maybe even in the next patch? It's such a massive thing in prisons. I can see the guard system being fleshed out at the same time, maybe attributes or a levelling / skill system for guards? EG Taking classes in conflict management would make prisoners calmer?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm disappointed to hear that the game will be "finished" (I assume they mean "Feature Complete") soon. I keep hoping for better simulation of barrack-style prisons, or at least for bunkbeds within cells. Or multiple beds per cell. Best yet, two bunkbeds per cell.

Yes, I know "holding cells" are kindof like barracks, but they don't properly count the number of beds for your prison when using them, and there's the ridiculous "privacy" need to STRONGLY discourage their use, despite the vast majority of American prisons using them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They've said they would continue to support the game, just probably no longer 1-month interval updates. For the rest, there's always mods as this game is highly moddable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like Chris finally got that package Valve sent him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFOI-xjeM4

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have spent the last couple days playing this game near continously, only stopped because having 350 prisoners plus appropriate staff was lagging my computer. Forgot how fun this was.

Next I should make an aethstetically pleasing and realistic prison like they have in the videos instead of playing the "oh I can squeeze another cooker in front of the door, they will just path over it anyways" tricn

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you make a Jurassic Park prison with basic feeders somewhere and most of the territory free for the gangs to fight over?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I really like this game but some of the bugs drive me nuts. Is there a mod to fix healing injured prisoners? It always works for awhile, but then I hit a point where doctors and paramedics refuse to do anything for some prisoners.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Iunnrais posted:

Yes, I know "holding cells" are kindof like barracks, but they don't properly count the number of beds for your prison when using them

It does now. Your capacity includes the number of beds in the holding cell.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Anyone know how I would edit or spawn a legendary prisoner? I want to play with gangs but even with gangs enabled, 100 prisoners (50% max sec) it's just not happening.

Legendaries are super rare and I'm out of patience!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

ModestMuse posted:

It does now. Your capacity includes the number of beds in the holding cell.

When did that happen? I haven't played in a few versions, only been watching the blogs... that was a major complaint of mine.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Three-Phase posted:

Time to move my gang members to their own little isolated area.

I'm even putting it's own electric generator just for that area. And it's far away from any structures.

And it's gonna be remotely monitored.

And it's going to have zero sprinklers.

I'm sure everything will go fine.

This reminds me of mandate processors in Dwarf Fortress.

Oh, you want a ruby-encrusted platinum throne or you'll have the sheriff beat the poo poo out of my master jewelcrafter? Please step right into this room and pull the lever and we'll deliver ten tons of lava the throne to you.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have spent the last couple days playing this game near continously, only stopped because having 350 prisoners plus appropriate staff was lagging my computer. Forgot how fun this was.

Next I should make an aethstetically pleasing and realistic prison like they have in the videos instead of playing the "oh I can squeeze another cooker in front of the door, they will just path over it anyways" tricn

This is what I am going to do. I am going to aim for 300 people in my prison then cash out and start one with gangs. What is appropriately staffed? My goal is to start using remote doors and cctv for more things. The trick I learned with remote doors is to hook them up to two door controls so it is less likely the guard manning it will be taking a poo poo or whatever.

I'd like to try the max sec/super max on one side of the road, and min and normal on the other. The downside is I'll have to not take prisoners while doing research I guess.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

This reminds me of mandate processors in Dwarf Fortress.

Oh, you want a ruby-encrusted platinum throne or you'll have the sheriff beat the poo poo out of my master jewelcrafter? Please step right into this room and pull the lever and we'll deliver ten tons of lava the throne to you.

Lil' Boss Andy has a strange mood!

Lil' Boss Andy needs a razor blade!
Lil' Boss Andy needs a toothbrush!

Andy begins a strange construction...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is what I am going to do. I am going to aim for 300 people in my prison then cash out and start one with gangs. What is appropriately staffed? My goal is to start using remote doors and cctv for more things. The trick I learned with remote doors is to hook them up to two door controls so it is less likely the guard manning it will be taking a poo poo or whatever.

I'd like to try the max sec/super max on one side of the road, and min and normal on the other. The downside is I'll have to not take prisoners while doing research I guess.

I basically have 50/50 max/normal prisoners, both of which are separated by an airlock and have their own version of everything. For me "appropriately staffed" means somewhere around 2:1 prisoner:guard ratio, as well as probably 20 of each of the other types except gardener, since it is an entirely indoor prison for once. Even with hundreds of staff members I still stay around +$20k income every day because Max sec prisoners give so much.

Honestly, I am surprised that they didn't tweak max sec to be even more of a nightmare. Get enough guards with enough tazers and you can easily handle mass quantities of them.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
This was my biggest and most successful prison so far (from a34). It's not perfect - the stuff around the edge could have been more efficient, and the max-sec canteen is too small, but it mostly ran pretty smoothly. I had issues with morning near-riots (and a couple actual riots) in max-sec until I gave them their own chapel. The northern section of the main prison (with protected custody and supermax cells) is 'airlocked' by staff-only areas between the other buildings (but occasionally a PC got out after his parole hearing or visitation and wandered around in the main yard before I noticed). Most of the doors (especially the outdoor ones in the cross-intersections) are locked open most of the time, and I have a guard stationed at each cross and in most of the 'corridors.'

I don't have a shot of the grading screen, but it had something like 14% reoffending rate, 50-some deaths (because of the pre-chapel max-sec riots), and 0 escapes. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it runs pretty smoothly. I'm using the basic layout in my new prison, and trying to plan more things out in advance before I even start construction.

The prison did run kind of slow most of the time (no difference between >> and >>> that I could see), and it took a minute or two to register all the cells when I loaded it, but that might be partially my computer's fault.

Also:

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Very pretty prison!

I sometimes wonder if my prisons look so hideous because my favorite part of the game are the riots.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Okay, this new update sounds cool. Makes it sound like more an RTS if you get too much gang poo poo. Wonder if I can use my $1.6mil save for the newer stuff.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Very pretty prison!

I sometimes wonder if my prisons look so hideous because my favorite part of the game are the riots.

I actually stopped playing the game for awhile because at that point I had played the game enough to know what needed to be placed but I couldn't work out exactly where I wanted to place stuff. I got so caught up in trying to build the perfect prison that I would get frustrated/bored and quit during the planning phase because nothing would be good enough.

This changed when I discovered that people will accidentally upload terrible prisons on occasion so I started downloading their terrible half-built prisons and I try to salvage their terrible operation. I don't worry about trying to make everything perfect because I'm too busy keeping everything from exploding.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

Okay, this new update sounds cool. Makes it sound like more an RTS if you get too much gang poo poo. Wonder if I can use my $1.6mil save for the newer stuff.

I mean, it basically is "people took over the common room, send in guards to flush them out with a press of a button"

I am kinda disappointed that only a couple rooms could be taken over, I wanted to see the gangs taking a kitchen or something else that would seriously disrupt the prison

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean, it basically is "people took over the common room, send in guards to flush them out with a press of a button"

I am kinda disappointed that only a couple rooms could be taken over, I wanted to see the gangs taking a kitchen or something else that would seriously disrupt the prison

I want to say Update 36 to 40 add a bit more to it? Like, with the next one or so, every room's controllable by gangs. And then sometime after release, even outdoor hallways could be taken. And eventually, you get the "Uncontrollable Riot" ending if you let gangs take over everything, leading to what must be one loving amazeballs shootout that you forgot to lift Lockdown up for.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Gangs don't tend to meet up, or hang out in kitchens.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How do I tell if a gang has a leader? The gang view doesn't seem to have any indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

texasmed posted:

Gangs don't tend to meet up, or hang out in kitchens.

True, but who cares about common rooms? I have never had a riot because people couldn't play pool in one specific spot

• Locked thread