Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Skwirl posted:

For some reason I thought the weird physics of his powers plus the visor made everything look yellow, but I might be thinking of dogs.

You are correct. He sees yellow, so cyclops loves blondes...not by choice

trashbuilder fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Morrison was trying to be clever but it doesn't really work because there should still be a red tint being added inside the visor.

And by the rule of whatever was written most recently, Whedon made it red.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

I thought you were mentioning it to make a "butte sex" joke, but somehow held back. You have more will power than I.
I mean, they totally had butte sex. It's true. I don't want all my posts in BSS to be about sex though, in case it makes me seem more like Claremont.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All this wordiness talk and nobody busted out old Stan Lee? Where's that page scan where each of the x-men narrate in great detail totally mundane actions like walking over a ditch and opening a door?

Letting Jack Kirby draw whatever he wants is usually a great idea, but too many word balloons is sometimes not.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is there a recommended reading list for the Avengers somewhere? Like the best runs? I wanna get into Busiek's soon. I've only read his Ultron story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does the art in Manhattan Projects ever get beyond mind-warpingly lovely? Because I kind of want to see where the story goes but it literally makes me queazy to read it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

Is there a recommended reading list for the Avengers somewhere? Like the best runs? I wanna get into Busiek's soon. I've only read his Ultron story.

New Avengers volume 1 is some of my favorite comics ever, but it starts to really go off the rails once civil war starts.

Someone is going to recomend Avengers 200 as what they think is a joke, but at this point I think it's tantamount to a hate crime.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Avengers 200 is a must-read, but not because it's good. Just to confirm to yourself that yes, this exists, this is a thing that happened. Someone wrote this, then several levels of editors gave it the go-ahead, then several artists worked on this, then it was printed and distributed and at no point during any of that did someone say "What the gently caress, guys, we can't print this, this is literally insane!"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does the art in Manhattan Projects ever get beyond mind-warpingly lovely? Because I kind of want to see where the story goes but it literally makes me queazy to read it.

It's all been by the same artist.

And is awesome throughout!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phylodox posted:

I think Avengers 200 is a must-read, but not because it's good. Just to confirm to yourself that yes, this exists, this is a thing that happened. Someone wrote this, then several levels of editors gave it the go-ahead, then several artists worked on this, then it was printed and distributed and at no point during any of that did someone say "What the gently caress, guys, we can't print this, this is literally insane!"

When Chris loving Claremont thinks a comic is too rapey you've done hosed up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's not even just rapey. How hosed up is it that only rape is a step up? It's loving meta-incestuous-mind-control-rapey. I can only imagine that staggering amounts of drugs were involved.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The worst thing about that story isn't just that it contains rape; rape can happen in a story and be tasteful. This isn't even untasteful, though. It's like anti-tasteful. It goes out of it's way to treat the rape as a good thing. Imagine if Carol was assaulted physically and everyone still just smiled and let her rapist walk off with her on his arm. It's deplorable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
At least, as Skwirl pointed out, Chris Claremont of all people came to the rescue in Avengers Annual #10 and had Captain Marvel call everyone out on that bullshit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phylodox posted:

At least, as Skwirl pointed out, Chris Claremont of all people came to the rescue in Avengers Annual #10 and had Captain Marvel call everyone out on that bullshit.

She only called out the characters, she didnt address the writer directly :v

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are we talking about Avengers 200 again?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
In answer to the question about good Avengers runs: I'd say the whole run through Englehart's departure somewhere in the 150s is pretty solid. Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek are also strong choices. Bendis I cannot speak for, but Hickman I have loved.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Mods, please rename me to Taseful Rape.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

SynthOrange posted:

She only called out the characters, she didnt address the writer directly :v

Characters who were later revealed to be mind controlled by the guy mind controlling her.

Which is a great reason to explain giving a baby a blow torch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's on me, my attempt at undercutting whoever was going to recommend it (probably Rhyno) ended up creating the very conversation I was trying to avoid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's on me, my attempt at undercutting whoever was going to recommend it (probably Rhyno) ended up creating the very conversation I was trying to avoid.

I didn't do it this time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I didn't do it this time.

Because I cut you off at the knees.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Because I cut you off at the knees.

I wasn't even paying attention to the conversation this time so NYAH.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who's the bigger fish, Darkseid or Anti-Monitor?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Who's the bigger fish, Darkseid or Anti-Monitor?

Remember when Anti-Monitor joined the Sinestro Corps? I think Darkseid is way above him nowadays.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Darkseid is overrated. Not as much as the Joker, but Jesus Christ, I want to see him get the smug smile punched off his face some more. He's so unflappable. A good villian falls from their heights.

Anti-Monitor is an event villian and might as well be an unnamed giant space flea for all his personality matters.

Conclusion, they both suck and I hope their war is mutually assured destruction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Conclusion, they both suck and I hope their war is mutually assured destruction.

WRONG!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Both Darkseid and Thanos have both been power creeped over and over again since their creations so that they are the biggest and baddest villains each company has.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Darkseid is overrated. Not as much as the Joker, but Jesus Christ, I want to see him get the smug smile punched off his face some more. He's so unflappable. A good villian falls from their heights.

Darkseid has a weakness for comfy couches!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Basically what I want is him finding someone sitting on his throne, and he's as powerless as everyone else is to him in that situation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Both Darkseid and Thanos have both been power creeped over and over again since their creations so that they are the biggest and baddest villains each company has.

I dunno, Thanos took a punch from Thor and the Thing combined in one of his early stories. He was always pretty OP, but the entire point of him was that you didn't need to actually fight him because he always fucks himself over.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When you're being hit by Thor being hit by the Thing at the same time is like pouring a bucket down a waterfall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, Thanos took a punch from Thor and the Thing combined in one of his early stories. He was always pretty OP, but the entire point of him was that you didn't need to actually fight him because he always fucks himself over.

There have numerous in story moments where Thanos has become more powerful though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An Avengers villain kind of has to be able to eat a punch from Thor to be a threat anyway.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Anti-Monitor is evil for evil's sake, and you beat him by punching him really hard, and then he reveals his final form and you beat him again by punching him really hard. He is literally a Final Fantasy end boss.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Monty's just misunderstood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Anti-Monitor is evil for evil's sake, and you beat him by punching him really hard, and then he reveals his final form and you beat him again by punching him really hard. He is literally a Final Fantasy end boss.

On the Green Lantern cartoon they blew up his head and one of the side characters decided to become evil and start controlling the body like a puppet from his head stump.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
In Preacher, who was Jonathan supposed to be? Up to now I still have no idea what Cassidy meant when he said "You're loving dead!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kurtofan posted:

Monty's just misunderstood.

Mo, actually. As of DARKSEID WARRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just want the deadpool movie to have a smoking hot chick at some point that turns around to reveal a skull for a face.