Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

What's the best way to get the roulette, just do arcades? I've done a few RB's and SB's but I rarely get it to pop up at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vadoc posted:

What's the best way to get the roulette, just do arcades? I've done a few RB's and SB's but I rarely get it to pop up at the end.

AB for faster rounds yeah. Slot only a single vehicle so that you won't end up with your BR pulldown vehicle getting the talisman you wanted :argh:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

That explains it. Not so much as the pulldown vehicle but that I rarely even have the loving thing pop up despite doing numerous games.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mazz posted:

My first Talisman was on the P-40

My second Talisman was on the Mc.202

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFN_tBT-xZE

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My free talismans are on the T-34 1940 and the A6M2-N. I'm OK with it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I could swear I've had talismans come onto tanks I've not had slotted... I'd need to check what I actually have talismanned, though.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

spectralent posted:

It's probably the worst Yak (I haven't played jets so I can't comment on the 15) but that's like saying "The least-bad nazi" so it's still a great plane.

Tanks or planes? Tanks you will get the hang of as you learn maps, mostly, where good cover is and the like. Cover is OP in tanks like going faster is in planes. The real secret is that ground forces is actually a stealth game. Getting the shot off before your opponent can end the fight, either by racking them or killing everyone or more likely killing their gunner then getting a better shot off while they're helpless. So, cover is amazing, not just for putting more things between you and enemy rounds, but also for meaning the bit of you that's exposed is smaller. Flanking is good for similar reasons and gives you juicy side armour, even. When you're flanking and see groups, by the way, you want to pick the target at the back of the group first; pubbies are idiots and usually won't noticed the bars behind them vanishing on the minimap while they advance until they get ammo racked. Whereas they will notice their column lead exploding and will start trying to shoot you.

EDIT: Has the tiger mail slot had some change to it's damage characteristic? I've fired on it several times, including with the 155's APHE round, and the shot only ever seems to damage the optics.

Thanks man!

I ended up playing some more arcade last night, and I don't know what happened but I went from one-shotting things with a BT-5 to getting zero penetration on green on anything.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I feel real bad for anyone who hasn't got a free talisman on the Po-2.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I got a free talisman for the Aircobra that is in all the SB tanks events. So that's pretty nice given how great it is in arcade but I will likely never put it to good use.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vadoc posted:

Thief reminded me with his above post: If you regularly do well and earn points in RBGF/SBGF to fly a lot, that will be the #1 way to trigger the roulette wheel, like the chance to get it increases depending on how many vehicles you've used. Sometimes having two digits of talismans of tanks and planes comes in handy, also mod research gifts. Just f'all talismans with my luck.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

D9 trip report: gud plaen.

Its armament isn't as good as the D13s, but to be fair the D13 has arguably the best weapon fitting for a single engine fighter in the entire game. Flies really nicely at lower altitudes, and despite having only 0.3 BR difference from the D13 the matchmaking is far more favourable, as whenever I played in my D13 I was uptiered basically every single match.

Might pick up the russian one if it ever goes on sale.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Thief posted:

I got a free talisman for the Aircobra that is in all the SB tanks events. So that's pretty nice given how great it is in arcade but I will likely never put it to good use.

Shame it's just a (realistically) awful plane in realistic. That engine placement is just dumb. You will never, ever climb enough to be useful, just because it is so drat unstable.

That, and a single shot to the middle and you are hosed.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Speaking of the D-13, is it still a good deal at 30 euros? I kinda want one, but didn't buy one when it was at 15bux a month ago :(

In other news I've been doing a golden wager in a T-34 '41 solo. At 17-0 wager stats I just had to check my stats in this thing. 52 games, 94,2% win ratio, 206 ground and 2 air targets destroyed. Gaijin loving sucks at ground balance. The T-34-76s should all get another 0.3 or 0.7 BR increase, or preferably, their ammo should be nerfed from nuke-tier to more sensible levels.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Trogdos! posted:

Speaking of the D-13, is it still a good deal at 30 euros? I kinda want one, but didn't buy one when it was at 15bux a month ago :(

In other news I've been doing a golden wager in a T-34 '41 solo. At 17-0 wager stats I just had to check my stats in this thing. 52 games, 94,2% win ratio, 206 ground and 2 air targets destroyed. Gaijin loving sucks at ground balance. The T-34-76s should all get another 0.3 or 0.7 BR increase, or preferably, their ammo should be nerfed from nuke-tier to more sensible levels.

Its a good plane but you will basically fight jets every match. I'd wait until another sale rolls around and stick with the D9 for now.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The thing is, I've barely broken into german tier 3 planes. I'm not looking for a grinding plane though. I just love the way my Fw 190 A-4 flies and if the D-13 is that on steroids and on top of that, is good at unlocking more toys, then I'd like to have one. The price tag just worries me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Trogdos! posted:

The thing is, I've barely broken into german tier 3 planes. I'm not looking for a grinding plane though. I just love the way my Fw 190 A-4 flies and if the D-13 is that on steroids and on top of that, is good at unlocking more toys, then I'd like to have one. The price tag just worries me.

The key thing to note here is that the A4 is rather well tiered (and effectively cannot be uptiered) against its opposition, whereas with the D13 you can and will face much nastier stuff on a regular basis. If you want to spend some money on this game and have just broken into German T3, I strongly recommend you pick up this pack for the Romanian Bf 109 G2: https://online.gaijinent.com/story.php?title=Fire-Maneuver-Advanced-Pack

Unfortunately as someone pointed out earlier, you can't get the 109 on its own anymore (it was absurdly cheap at $14.99 for a T3 premium plane), which is a bit of a bummer but the tank is at least quite trolly.

The G2 is one of the best premiums in the game, its got cheap repair costs and prints money when competently flown. Plus as its tiered at 4.3 its capable of taking on more or less anything it encounters, and will absolutely murder the loving poo poo out of most US planes it encounters, like P47s, F6Fs and F4Us. You can also fit gunpods for triple 20mm goodness if you want to sacrifice performance for firepower, and it looks good too.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

spectralent posted:

I could swear I've had talismans come onto tanks I've not had slotted... I'd need to check what I actually have talismanned, though.

Yeah talismans don't drop only on the vehicles you have slotted, I had one drop on the first B17 which I haven't taken out in months and months.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ludicro posted:

I strongly recommend you pick up this pack for the Romanian Bf 109 G2: https://online.gaijinent.com/story.php?title=Fire-Maneuver-Advanced-Pack
Unfortunately as someone pointed out earlier, you can't get the 109 on its own anymore (it was absurdly cheap at $14.99 for a T3 premium plane), which is a bit of a bummer but the tank is at least quite trolly.

I can second that, the 109 G2 is drat good. And the Little tank is awesome. It does get some nice ammo, just has poo poo all for armor. I even include it in some higher BR tonk lineups. Since it's a :godwinning: BT-7. Just a bit slower, but a lot better in the gun department. I only regret buying the 109 G2 as a standalone first. Should have bought the combined pack.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Famethrowa posted:

Shame it's just a (realistically) awful plane in realistic. That engine placement is just dumb. You will never, ever climb enough to be useful, just because it is so drat unstable.

That, and a single shot to the middle and you are hosed.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but it's actually about as straight forward as any other plane in realistic battles to fly. Unless you're using a joystick or something which makes its flight characteristics a lot more noticeable.
edit: nevermind, I see it was in response to a post about SB. Yeah they're probably one of the less friendly planes to fly there. Although I find the stupid cockpit to be a bigger offender.

Speaking of cobras, we had a pretty great battle yesterday with J2M2s vs the rather rare soviet P-63C5. First time I remember seeing it in game, despite knowing of its existence for quite a while.

Ludicro posted:

The key thing to note here is that the A4 is rather well tiered (and effectively cannot be uptiered) against its opposition, whereas with the D13 you can and will face much nastier stuff on a regular basis. If you want to spend some money on this game and have just broken into German T3, I strongly recommend you pick up this pack for the Romanian Bf 109 G2: https://online.gaijinent.com/story.php?title=Fire-Maneuver-Advanced-Pack

The G2 is one of the best premiums in the game, its got cheap repair costs and prints money when competently flown. Plus as its tiered at 4.3 its capable of taking on more or less anything it encounters, and will absolutely murder the loving poo poo out of most US planes it encounters, like P47s, F6Fs and F4Us. You can also fit gunpods for triple 20mm goodness if you want to sacrifice performance for firepower, and it looks good too.
Not that this makes the D13 a bad plane or anything. It's perfectly able to deal with all these things and is one of my favourite premiums in the game. The 109G2 is a goddamn fantastic aircraft though, easily another favourite.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2015

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I got a talisman on the T-34 1942 the other day. It made me feel good about life.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
My first talisman was a PO-2.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Man the Ferdinard is a really bad tank when you haven't unlocked FPE :negative:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Azran posted:

Man the Ferdinard is a really bad tank when you haven't unlocked FPE :negative:

At least your experience so far has been authentic :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

At least your experience so far has been authentic :v:

Not until you get swarmed by infantry because you have no machine gun and some pissed off russians take a crowbar to your hatches and throw grenades down them

or was that the Elefant

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Bolow posted:

Not until you get swarmed by infantry because you have no machine gun and some pissed off russians take a crowbar to your hatches and throw grenades down them

or was that the Elefant

They're the same thing, basically.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Darcy posted:

Yeah talismans don't drop only on the vehicles you have slotted, I had one drop on the first B17 which I haven't taken out in months and months.

Heck, I've had them drop on planes when playing tanks. My cannon MIG-3's talisman came from a tank battle.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Rayjenkins posted:

They're literally the same vehicle.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 2, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Rayjenkins posted:

Execu-speak posted:

same

e: content: there is a small but pretty crucial difference between the two

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Execu-speak posted:

quote:

In September 1943 all surviving Ferdinands were recalled to be modified based on battle experience gained in the Battle of Kursk. During October and November 1943, 48 of the 50 surviving vehicles were modified by addition of a ball-mounted MG 34 in the hull front for anti-infantry ability, a commander's cupola (modified from the standard StuG III cupola) for improved vision, and the application of Zimmerit paste. The frontal armor was thickened and the tracks widened, increasing the weight from 65 to 70 t. The improved vehicles were called Elefant. Possibly as a stopgap before the Elefant modifications were available for the original Ferdinand vehicles, the rarely seen Krummlauf curved barrel upgrade for the Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle was allegedly meant to allow crews of Ferdinands to defend their vehicle without exposing themselves. Three Bergepanzer Tiger or Bergetiger armoured recovery vehicles were built in Autumn 1943 from Tiger prototypes, and one battle-damaged Ferdinand not suitable for the Elefant modification was converted into a Rammpanzer Tiger or Rammtiger, an experimental breakthrough vehicle.

They're only like 99% the same :colbert:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Also, both vehicles are listed in the current release tree. So at one point we'll get the slightly improved Elefant and than can argue about what is better, and why the hull machinegun is worth its 0.3 BR increase.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Azran posted:

Man everything is a really bad tank when you haven't unlocked FPE :negative:

FTFY.

I will never not be salty about grinding for parts+FPE on high tier tanks. Additional complaint: Why do all tanks default to track research instead of parts, and why is FPE a tier II upgrade so you can't just make Parts+FPE your first two unlocks.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

spectralent posted:

I will never not be salty about grinding for parts+FPE on high tier tanks. Additional complaint: Why do all tanks default to track research instead of parts, and why is FPE a tier II upgrade so you can't just make Parts+FPE your first two unlocks.

:homebrew:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

As an aside I decided to take the plunge on the plagis Spit, and holy crap! Good plane.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
I would love it with these "bomber swarm" scenarios if Gaijin would take away the option for the defending team to field player bombers.

Having half your team as B29's 10km away is getting old now.

Edit: can I have some cheese with my whine please?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Had a hokkaido map where the entire team went off chasing an F8F miles out over the ocean and the enemy won on points in the center. :doh:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm returning after 6-8 months away from the game and thinking about leveling up either Russia or Japanese planes. When I left, Japan had good teams and a few decent planes that could hold their own, while Russian teams weren't known for being good and the planes themselves underperformed generally once you got above tier 1. Is that still the case?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

I'm returning after 6-8 months away from the game and thinking about leveling up either Russia or Japanese planes. When I left, Japan had good teams and a few decent planes that could hold their own, while Russian teams weren't known for being good and the planes themselves underperformed generally once you got above tier 1. Is that still the case?

Yaks are amazing and continue to be amazing for at least tier II and III, and I'd like to say they're still competitive at IV. As for teams, they have a bad rep, but to be honest most pubbies are bad. I'm noticing high tier planes players tend to be good, though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Russian planes are fine through tier 3, 4 gets painful though. Teams are another issue.

Japan is a lot of fun though, especially with all the new planes they've been getting lately. Britain is also a fun choice.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So, under tank controls if you bind "select machine gun" you can specifically switch to your rooftop AA MG if you have one.
Not only that, you can also then use the MG with it's own sniper view with an accurate range ladder out to 1,200m. Not only that, but if you use the "sight distance controls" the distance state for that is preserved between weapons, so if you have it set to 800m on your MG it will automatically be set to 800m when you switch back to your cannon by using the "reset weapon" button. This will be of massive loving help to tanks with long reload timers like the IS-3 or high arc shells on the ISU-152. So now you can slam dunk some publord at 1.2km with 152mm of HE first time every time! :getin:

It also goes without saying that you can fire more effectively on planes with your AA MG with this too as you don't have the main turret traverse throwing your aim off now.

EDIT: OH poo poo, the KPVT is ranged out to 2km. SU-122-54 and T-10M will benefit hugely from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

So, under tank controls if you bind "select machine gun" you can specifically switch to your rooftop AA MG if you have one.
Not only that, you can also then use the MG with it's own sniper view with an accurate range ladder out to 1,200m. Not only that, but if you use the "sight distance controls" the distance state for that is preserved between weapons, so if you have it set to 800m on your MG it will automatically be set to 800m when you switch back to your cannon by using the "reset weapon" button. This will be of massive loving help to tanks with long reload timers like the IS-3 or high arc shells on the ISU-152. So now you can slam dunk some publord at 1.2km with 152mm of HE first time every time! :getin:

It also goes without saying that you can fire more effectively on planes with your AA MG with this too as you don't have the main turret traverse throwing your aim off now.

:aaaaa:

I needed to know this badly. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, how does sight distance work?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread