Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

syscall girl posted:

walmart is the top fortune 500 company

ownage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i work at a fortune 500 company

syscall girl posted:

just like to reiterate that your a fag and your fail humblebrag got poo poo on by this dude on YOSPOS

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im not trying to brag it's just not 100% a clown company

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
drat, that recruitment stuff is gonna suck when i leave startup la la land
at every job i've worked for whoever's need a new hire sends hr (which is like 2 people) a list of stuff to look for on linked, and gets a stack of resumes brought back. if they bitch about us hiring someone (from their list or just some dude the hiring manager knows) for any reason other that salary they get lit up and will basically always back down
granted the old job fired a lady because she got pregnant so, you know, there are definitely pros and cons to this approach

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hr is bad but the alternatives are worse so...

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

fart simpson posted:

All fortune 500 companies are clown companies

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

funroll loops posted:

any of you consider not working at literal circus clown companies

lol if you arent embedded deep inside the dysfunction of a massive multinational corporation, cashing a paycheck doing nothing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah well the company i wprk at is on the s&p 500 what now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

wal-mart is a nodejs shop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

All fortune 500 companies are clown companies

he meant "not a 100% clown company"

they have a diverse workforce that's not more than roughly half white, male clowns

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mishaq posted:

lol if you arent embedded deep inside the dysfunction of a massive multinational corporation, cashing a paycheck doing nothing

government is also an acceptable choice if you want to trade some of the paycheck for more job security

waste more taxpayers money every day

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

mishaq posted:

hehe, my idol is wally the lazyman from the comic dilbert, i really relate to him

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

government is also an acceptable choice if you want to trade some of the paycheck for more job security

i'd rather make bank AND do nothing

my career thus far proves it's not an either/or decision

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vicas posted:

hehe, my idol is wally the lazyman from the comic dilbert, i really relate to him

wally's not lazy, he's just consciously useless. there's a difference

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i work at a fortune 1682 company :smug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

hr is bad but the alternatives are worse so...

yeah i'm trying to think of a solution to hiring and everything else is basically about as bad, but with bitcoins internet

social problems are hard to solve without humans, who knew

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I work at one of the 5000 fastest growing private companies according to the TV in reception

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the thing about hiring is that loving it up and hiring an imperfect candidate isn't half the problem that people make it out to be. it happens all the time. nearly everyone you hire isn't gonna be exactly who you thought

everyone likes to think they hire the best people and it's clearly not true

(almost) every stupid person you knew in college has a job

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
everyone is stupid as hell and incredibly bad and that rules

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PLATONIC ANAL VORE posted:

everyone is stupid as hell and incredibly bad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

yeah if there is anywhere that dumb hiring things take forever it is large companies

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i actually got hired at apple, the worlds largest corporation by market capitalization pretty quickly. like within 3 days of submitting a resume

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beeftweeter posted:

i actually got hired at apple, the worlds largest corporation by market capitalization pretty quickly

i got hired at my current company in less in two days, and i have also seen people at this company sit in limbo for months while visas get worked out or the hiring manager says yes and goes on vacation and doesn't tell forgets to tell HR and comes back all "what they should have started 3 weeks ago" and other such things

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
at a small company you can't have that kind of communication breakdown because there is no one to communicate with

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anecdotally, the faster people have been hired at different companies I've worked for, the smarter and more skilled my coworkers have been.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bhodi posted:

Anecdotally, the faster people have been hired at different companies I've worked for, the smarter and more skilled my coworkers have been.

same, except the inverse. the worst hiring processes correlated with the best coworkers

maybe anecdotes are a bad source of correlation?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

same, except the inverse. the worst hiring processes correlated with the best coworkers

maybe anecdotes are a bad source of correlation?

last time i compared an anecdote to reality it was pretty close, so

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
wall street journal website:

wall street journal print edition:

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 3, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i actually got hired at apple, the worlds largest corporation by market capitalization pretty quickly. like within 3 days of submitting a resume

i applied for a developer job with a 10-employee local company on craigslist and got a phone call to set up an interview 3 hours later

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

daft punk railroad posted:

new york times website:

new york times print edition:

don't worry, they apply the same orwellian revisions to the print edition

that particular copy is probably like a 5am printing instead of the late edition

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Beeftweeter posted:

im legit jelly

i mean i havent tried but by now ive settled as an enterprise java guy so i have nothing they want

even though i would be a great steve jobs replacemtne

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

to what extent can you candidly discuss somewhat illegal poo poo or really illegal poo poo you've done in a computer security interview

because i'm guessing there's a degree of that within the computer security profession

asking for a friend

yeah i was pondering this at one point. it seems like some sort of judgement-free 'foibles' interview segment might be useful.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

oh nice can you tell them to get back to me with an offer? i had coffee with my potential-manager the other day and hr is apparently being clowntown about it.

or do retail employees not have that kind of sway?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rekt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

daft punk railroad posted:

new york times website:

new york times print edition:

:cripes:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ultramiraculous posted:

or do retail employees not have that kind of sway?
:boom:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Soricidus posted:

federal govt owns.

state... not so much usually

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

uninterrupted posted:

granted the old job fired a lady because she got pregnant so, you know, there are definitely pros and cons to this approach

lmao that's illegal as hellllllllll

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

probably said she wasn't a "culture fit" any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

prove she was fired for getting preg net

oh wait you can't sorry you lose

• Locked thread