Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I chose no because people who earnestly want to end their lives on a Spinal Tap reference aren't in the right frame of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

While we're on the subject of crazy speculation, the game has frequently invoked Native American folklore in associating several characters with their own spirit animal. Max is the doe, Chloe is the butterfly, Samuel is the squirrel, and so on. Episode 4 has introduced a new animal, the owl, in two key areas. Its first appearance is in the barn shortly before Max and Chloe enter the darkroom. It returns again in the junkyard, where it briefly swoops by Max and startles her. Here's what wikipedia, the well-regarded online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, has to say about owls:

So owls are an omen of bad luck and impending doom in two areas highly connected to one specific character. It's also funny that in the West, owls are conversely seen as a symbol of wisdom and intelligence. Wonder who the owl represents?

I imagine it's inspired more from Twin Peaks where the owls were a vessel for Killer Bob and let him track what people were doing in the town, rather than being taken from Native American folklore, although I'm sure that also influenced them. But yeah nice catch.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Killer BOB as the main villain in LiS (along with that ending) would be all kinds of hilarious/hosed up.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, everyone chose to let Chloe die in the alt-world, right? If I was in her position it's what I'd want

I did. It was a tough decision for me. Like, I understood that ideally she could talk this out with her parents and they would all decide together, but practically I was worried that her parents wouldn't--what parents would agree to essentially kill their own child? And, I hate to admit this, but I didn't want to upset Chloe. Much as I hate to admit it, my Max is a little bit of a pushover for her friends. When they want to do something she tends to agree to it because she really values their friendships.

Plus in the end I reasoned that I was going to switch timelines so it wouldn't matter all that much anyways :v:

Air is lava! posted:

Yeah. Brooke is kind of rude. She said something like "I hope Max isn't pissed, that Warren invited me." everytime Max ran past her, just to rub it in. And literally every conversation leads to her gushing over him. I know my Max doesn't really like Warren, but Brooke assumes she does and tries to hurt her this way.

God, Brooke needs to get over herself. Like I know she's got a thing for Warren and all that but 1) You're a goddamn adult, girl, stop being pissy because you can't control who your crush likes or who the people your crush likes decide to do with your crush, and 2) I'm not even really into Warren romantically anyway. I'm going to the movies with him because it seems like a fun thing to do (and for that matter I don't condone Warren putting his arms around me at the end of Episode 2.Friendliness and apes do not equal affection, bruh).

Have I mentioned this game is incredible? What other game could get me this invested in my relationships with a bunch of teenagers and their teenage concerns?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

While we're on the subject of crazy speculation, the game has frequently invoked Native American folklore in associating several characters with their own spirit animal.

In Nathan's files isn't it also mentioned that one of the things he did was to try and steal the totem pole?

Also, I've been replaying the third episode picking different choices, and one thing I forgot was that, whilst wearing Rachel's clothes in the diner, Nathan for a moment thinks Max is Rachel. Which suggests he doesn't know she is dead, despite the stuff you see in the forth episode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Air is lava! posted:

Yeah. Brooke is kind of rude. She said something like "I hope Max isn't pissed, that Warren invited me." everytime Max ran past her, just to rub it in. And literally every conversation leads to her gushing over him. I know my Max doesn't really like Warren, but Brooke assumes she does and tries to hurt her this way.

I thought it was funny. She's super passive aggressive about it in her gloating, but I'm just like "that's cool Brooke. I'm glad you and Warren are gonna date :) " so it didn't bother me. Plus she let me fly her drone! I wish they would've let you control it though.

I've seen a playthrough where the person was receptive of Warren's come ons, including the date, and Brooke is WAY more mean to you if you talk to her. Every sentence she mentions it and won't let you fly her drone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brook has never let me fly her drone. :(

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Asuron posted:

I imagine it's inspired more from Twin Peaks where the owls were a vessel for Killer Bob and let him track what people were doing in the town, rather than being taken from Native American folklore, although I'm sure that also influenced them. But yeah nice catch.

The owls are not what they seem!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

shmee posted:

In Nathan's files isn't it also mentioned that one of the things he did was to try and steal the totem pole?

To be entirely fair to him if you got drunk on that campus you would try the same thing.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, everyone chose to let Chloe die in the alt-world, right? If I was in her position it's what I'd want

I didn't. I wanted to (and in fact it was my first choice), but I thought there would be more impact. Chloe being pissed at me was better than the alternative (potentially getting done for murder? Chloe's parents being angry at me? no thanks). Of course, none of that mattered for the rest of the episode.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

shmee posted:

Also, I've been replaying the third episode picking different choices, and one thing I forgot was that, whilst wearing Rachel's clothes in the diner, Nathan for a moment thinks Max is Rachel. Which suggests he doesn't know she is dead, despite the stuff you see in the forth episode.

Or that he thinks she's a spooky ghost come to haunt him for his sins.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

shmee posted:

Good spot to remember that moment, but still a little odd considering the photos relating to that in ep4.

e: Checked Steamspy and LiS seems to have sold 440k or so copies on Steam and 1 million total up to the 23rd of July. Sales on steam seems to have picked up 40k over all of july, half before the release of this latest ep. Pretty steady seller (and probably better than say, Pillars of Eternity). I wonder how big of a team dontnod got working on this, considering they are also making that vampire game?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 1, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nathan is also tweaked out of his mind and says things like "you're the man" to himself in front of the mirror, so paranoid delusions are probably not out of the question.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Wouldn't it be more Chloe's decision herself?

Well generally it's a bad idea to make major life decisions while on morphine. Though it seemed clear that Chloe's plan was always to ask Max to assist - Chloe's reasoning for asking Max to get the morphine seems kinda bullshit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

In retrospect, at first when I made that big choice in Episode 4, I figured I'd just be hopping back into my original reality anyway. But then I remembered that Alternate Max obviously had a whole life up until this point that our Max doesn't remember, so in that reality, what happened is Max was hanging out with her friends on the school lawn, suddenly had a dissociative fugue in which she went to her best friend's home and euthanized her, and then suddenly snapped back to reality staring at a picture of them as kids. She's probably gonna go to jail for a very long time after this.

It's kinda like at the end of Back to the Future when Marty's in his new life and his parents are all "Oh, Marty, we thought you were in Switzerland". SO WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT MARTY?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
If your best friend tells you "The one percent of my body that still works is shutting down, killing me slowly; I'm in pain so bad I need constant shots of morphine. Don't want my parents - who are drowning in debt - to live their lives carrying this burden. Help?" and you answer "nope", then maybe you are the villain and Jefferson's the hero. Well, part-time hero, when he's, uh, not busy killing and raping.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Guys, please don't euthanise anyone who hasn't had extensive counselling first to ensure that that's what they really want and that it isn't due to, for example, depression temporarily changing their desires. Thanks in advance.

Doubly so if it's the first time you've seen them in years.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Guys, please don't euthanise anyone who hasn't had extensive counselling first to ensure that that's what they really want and that it isn't due to, for example, depression temporarily changing their desires. Thanks in advance.

Doubly so if it's the first time you've seen them in years.

Hello friend I haven't seen it years, thanks for a great night of hanging out, now if you could go ahead and kill me that'd be great seriously they should have gone the route of Chloe telling Max how to put the morphine in wrong, and having Max unknowingly kill Chloe, then the choice is to rewind and save her or let her stay dead in peace

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How many on screen deaths is Chloe up to now? Let's see: gunshot, gunshot, train, euthanised, gunshot. Have I missed anything?

I think the universe is trying to tell you something Chloe.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I don't understand why Chloe didn't just ask of the many people close to her (not her parents). Like her zero number of friends or any other type of visitors beside butt-cleaning nurses. "I don't think I've talked this much the whole year" - Chloe, after one conversation in one afternoon.

Checking out voluntarily - a little bit before her lungs stop working and force her to - on a high note after five years of mostly solitude and pain? CANNOT COMPUTE

edit: the only criticism I can muster is that she apparently didn't leave a letter to her folks. It isn't mentioned, at least, and that would be really lovely of her.

seravid fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 1, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

seravid posted:

If your best friend tells you "The one percent of my body that still works is shutting down, killing me slowly; I'm in pain so bad I need constant shots of morphine. Don't want my parents - who are drowning in debt - to live their lives carrying this burden. Help?" and you answer "nope", then maybe you are the villain and Jefferson's the hero. Well, part-time hero, when he's, uh, not busy killing and raping.

jefferson had no problem killing chloe either

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

seravid posted:

I don't understand why Chloe didn't just ask of the many people close to her (not her parents). Like her zero number of friends or any other type of visitors beside butt-cleaning nurses. "I don't think I've talked this much the whole year" - Chloe, after one conversation in one afternoon.

Checking out voluntarily - a little bit before her lungs stop working and force her to - on a high note after five years of mostly solitude and pain? CANNOT COMPUTE

edit: the only criticism I can muster is that she apparently didn't leave a letter to her folks. It isn't mentioned, at least, and that would be really lovely of her.

She asked her parents and they said no. Who else will she ask who she trusts?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I did it without any hesitation, because after going an entire episode without being able to die, a Chloe death was way overdue.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How many on screen deaths is Chloe up to now? Let's see: gunshot, gunshot, train, euthanised, gunshot. Have I missed anything?

I think the universe is trying to tell you something Chloe.

While I chose to go along with the assisted suicide option, at least I kind of felt bad about it. I laughed my rear end off when her dumb rear end shot herself that one time. Protip: a gun is not a toy.

Seriously though, Max needs to just not let Chloe have guns any more. Whenever she picks one up you know she's gonna get shot or accidentally shoot someone else or a dog or whatever else. Look forward to episode 5 when she accidentally shoots Max somehow.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kate manages to die way less often than Chloe, so I don't know what her problem with the time-stream continuum is.

It's probably firearms, aint it.

I wonder if she'll ask Max how many times it's been and Max will just shrug awkwardly.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i choose to euthanize her although in retrospect that was an absolute loving dick move to alternate universe max who will wake up and see her best friend dead and joyce going absolutely livid on her while william cries in his room

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I figured the timeline would reset anyway so I went with the euthanize choice. Of course it wasn't until afterwards when I realized it's like Looper where there aren't any established rules for time travel and for all I know nothing got reset and Max is hosed in an alternate timeline.

Time travel, how does it work? :shrug:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

Time travel, how does it work? :shrug:

gently caress if I know.

*tries to save friend's father, causes whales to go extinct instead*

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

She asked her parents and they said no. Who else will she ask who she trusts?

We're apparently on the same side here, check a few posts up.

I'm sure she didn't ask her parents, though. Where did you get that from? Just checked on youtube and she does mention it if you refuse. That... doesn't work at all for me. Nothing from your conversations with Joyce and William hints at it; they could be putting on a show for Max, but this is the kind of topic that would usually show up after some time travel shenanigans.
It's a terrible decision to make, to be sure, but refusing their dying kid the chance to take control of her life for the first time in five years, knowing it would only prolong her suffering? gently caress that, I'll stick to my version where you don't explore that option and simply assume Chloe asked Max first, preferring to spare her folks both from making the choice and doing the act. Which they totally would.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I was away for the week and finally got to play this.

:stare:

I had a good feeling that this would be one of my favorite games early on, glad I wasn't wrong. Telltale is dead, long live DONTNOD.

Also I hosed up with Frank right from on the onset and both he and his dog are dead, but I vowed to never rewind on any major choices, so sorry Chloe hope this finally teaches you that guns aren't toys. (Though I think it would have been more in-character for my Max to rewind) I successfully warned Victoria though.

Ultimately Frank dying definitely casts a shadow over my otherwise rather positive playthrough This game definitely feels like it would bleak as gently caress if you hosed up enough.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 2, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

seravid posted:

Well, part-time hero, when he's, uh, not busy killing and raping.

This might be a terrible question, but did anyone ever say anything about rape? Jefferson seems like the type who gets of from photos alone. I guess that word is only implied. But they could have been very professional in their little buisness.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a professional serial murderer, thank you.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

I was away for the week and finally got to play this.

:stare:

I had a good feeling that this would be one of my favorite games early on, glad I wasn't wrong. Telltale is dead, long live DONTDOD.

Also I hosed up with Frank right from on the onset and both he and his dog are dead, but I vowed to never rewind on any major choices, so sorry Chloe hope this finally teaches you that guns aren't toys. (Though I think it would have been more in-character for my Max to rewind) I successfully warned Victoria though.

Ultimately Frank dying definitely casts a shadow over my otherwise rather positive playthrough This game definitely feels like it would bleak as gently caress if you hosed up enough.

I really hope Frank dying will lead to a downer ending since it should, but honestly I expect the storm to conveniently destroy all evidence of the killing and have Chloe go away scot-free and most likely forgetting about it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ekusukariba posted:

I really hope Frank dying will lead to a downer ending since it should, but honestly I expect the storm to conveniently destroy all evidence of the killing and have Chloe go away scot-free and most likely forgetting about it

His RV's on the beach (and I assume they hid the body in/near it?) so the storm's going to utterly erase the whole thing if it actually touches down in the bay as-predicted.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Going back to alternative Max(es...Maxii?), having Obsidian style "three J.B.'s" with an option to play as total teen-girl diva Max would be just as hilarious as the meta-aware smugbert time-traveller Max.

"What-ever , Kate. Ger OVER yourself, god! :snoop:"

(The pressing need to make it very clear just how few shits Max gives enables her to freeze time in this version)

((I am a terrible person))

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Neddy Seagoon posted:

His RV's on the beach (and I assume they hid the body in/near it?) so the storm's going to utterly erase the whole thing if it actually touches down in the bay as-predicted.

They don't even hide the body. They actually leave the gun too if I remember correctly. I think the only way they could have made it easier to catch them is if they wrote a note saying "Chloe n' Max were here"

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Possible Episode 5 spoilers, though its just speculation on my part.

Chloe is alive. Well, she doesn't stay dead at any rate! Maybe.

At the end of episode 1, Max has another vision of the tornado and is snapped back by Chloe grabbing her shoulder in both the vision and in the present.

http://imgur.com/pHTl5XA
http://imgur.com/Z91UJpE

Are both hands Chloe? :iiam:

Mokinokaro posted:

They both have her blue nail polish.

:geno:

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 2, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wild guess is that Max is stuck in an endless loop, repeated however many times, because she keeps saving the town from destruction, and thus Chloe from death, on the fifth day by returning to her selfie in the classroom, which for reasons yet unexplained brings about the storm in Arcadia Bay. In order to break the cycle, Chloe has to die and Max has not allowed it to happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's not going to be the Donnie Darko ending, I think we should all have enough faith in DONTNOD at this point to not think they'd that be horribly lazy to just crib off another ending when they've done a really great job of wearing their influences on their sleeve but having the game have its own identity. It also isn't likely because Max was already having visions of the storm before that event, so the storm is its own thing.

I do agree that we will probably go back in time to that moment but for an entirely different reason. Also we're totally going to talk to Ghost Rachel, I just have a feeling that it would work well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Accordion Man posted:

Also we're totally going to talk to Ghost Rachel, I just have a feeling that it would work well.

I don't think they'd do straight-up Ghost Rachel :ghost: like the ghost doe, but there are plenty of photos of Rachel around that Max could use to go back and talk to her. Even Jefferson's lair is full of photos.

• Locked thread