Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

People complaining about the way evol posts are more annoying than the way evol posts.

That's not possible tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hey great it's tha time of the month where people are angry about other people's posting styles

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So is anyone ever going to actually use windows 10 in a real business environment?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Methanar posted:

So is anyone ever going to actually use windows 10 in a real business environment?

If you care about security, you will.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We plan to switch very (too) soon. Once all our software becomes supported.

We're currently on a 7/8.1 mix.

Obviously I want to wait 6+ months for patches and bugs to surface but my boss is fairly gung-ho about it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methanar posted:

Rolled out Windows 10 to one test machine on Friday, people are already screaming bloody murder because we're coming off of 7 and the new start menu setup is utter poo poo, a sentiment I wholly agree with, but I'm not about to PDQDeploy Classic Shell or whatever to the entire organization so they can deal with it and address their complaints to Microsoft I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We plan on switching to it soon as well. Most of dev is on Windows 8.1 at this point anyways, so there's not going to be much of a shock.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a couple test machines on 10, but am recommending against installing it in volume until some of these launch issues are worked out.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Methanar posted:

Yup. The Great User Mutiny of 2013 ("I HATE WINDOWS 8 GAAAAH" :argh:) made us look fondly upon Windows 10.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Fool posted:

I have a couple test machines on 10, but am recommending against installing it in volume until some of these launch issues are worked out.

It makes sense now on fully locked down systems where you can verify every bit of software is working. You'll probably need to hold off on any computers that need more flexibility for now - even native Microsoft stuff like RSAT isn't available yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My first experience with Windows 10 involved firing up Edge, searching something, clicking the first result in Bing and having the browser lock up. I think it's probably worth it to give it a little time.

Honestly, the best parts of the OS are the consumer-oriented first-party apps like Mail and Calendar -- these things are not terribly useful in an enterprise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

I keep arguing with this (along with NippleFloss and Helmut) because my experience and the experience of other people I know who have contracted just doesn't bear that out. It seems like there's less security when you look at it, but it doesn't turn out that way when you do it, and the statistics for labor inputs don't back that theory either, though it's possible that those are skewed by the government's contractor culture and long term stability.

What statistics?

evol262 posted:

IRS reclassification is a big threat, and the reason that lots of companies with a lot of contractors have limits on the amount of time you can be there in a period of however many months, and Microsoft just made this change. The "perma" is more like 18 months.

The problem with the presentation: the idea that long-term contract workers at Microsoft (for example) have no option but to stay there. And this isn't some "the free market will solve the problem" thing (it won't), but there is a thriving job market in most of the localities that have "permatemps".

They have the option (and the job market) to leave. They're not wage slaves in a company town in 1870.

Permatemps are on 18-month contracts but that isn't the issue. It's that after the 18-month stretch you're effectively banned from working at Microsoft or one of it's partners for 6-months. Even if you happen to work in Redmond or Las Colinas - which not everyone does - it's going to significantly impact your future employment prospects if you're specialized in the Microsoft "stack".

evol262 posted:

But Microsoft's employees sue basically for the opportunity cost of being at Microsoft but not getting stock.

How kindly you immediately focus on stock but in reality it was Healthcare, Pension and Stock. Microsoft can't have it both ways either.

GOOCHY posted:

Your posts remind me of another "linux guy" I used to work with at an ISP. The condescension leaks through your keyboard and into the SA IT bitching thread.

:lol:

As he said, he's blunt and although I have no issue, it may ruffle feathers however what I find more peculiar is thread's unseemly disdain for any discussion with labor rights. If you don't like the conversation, change it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Methanar posted:

Yes, at least on machines that currently have 8.1. Employees at my job keep opting for Surface Pro 3's instead of new laptops, but then never stop complaining about Windows 8 and/or asking us to install 7. 10 is still a fair bit different than 7, but I think it'll be a much lower learning curve for them. Some hate Win 8 so much they spend their entire time in the VMware client so that they can use Win7, and basically turning their Surface into a $1,200+ VDI.

I'm also blindly hoping it will solve the issues we're having with SP3s and daisy chaining display port. We've reached out to both Dell and Microsoft about that, and of course each company blames the other without offering any sort of fix...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Windows 10 Edge

Is this suppose to replace IE?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

Is this suppose to replace IE?
Yeah, though most of the nice features like the extension marketplace (or support for user extensions at all) won't launch until some time TBD.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah, though most of the nice features like the extension marketplace (or support for user extensions at all) won't launch until some time TBD.

I'm perplexed, why not just go with IE 12 or whatever version?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

I'm perplexed, why not just go with IE 12 or whatever version?

Mostly the same reason we did not get Vista 2.0 instead of Windows 7. Edge strips all of the legacy poo poo out of IE and moves forward as a modern and lean browser. This is the direction that needs to happen to get these companies (mine included) off these IE6 and IE8 poo poo hole applications and onto something that is actually platform independent. Windows 10 does ship with IE11 for said legacy applications.

In the week I've been using Win10 on my work laptop, I've tried using Edge in place of IE for Office 365 stuff, and while somethings are really fast, some elements don't render right which makes it a pain to use until they update it.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
IE also has a poo poo rep with pretty much everyone. Re-branding!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One positive about those telemetry things and forced updates etc. in Windows 10 Home: Might keep cheapass business owners from buying lovely laptops with Home preinstalled.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Umbreon posted:

Well, after I got my CCNA, job offers started coming in from recruiters!

I now work for Windstream, and it's overwhelmingly better than my previous job (pay included!). Do you guys think a CCNP would be better for NOC work, or should I start branching out to stuff like ccna voice/security?

I am very sorry you got sucked into telecom.

In recruiter chat: I have 1.5 years of enterprise voip/IP technician support and turnup experience and am constantly harassed by recruiters for dumb poo poo I am not qualified for like Sr Systems Engineer, Sr Network engineer and the like. Is there something I can do to stop getting all these bullshit throw whatever at the wall offers, and target my search towards something that better fits my experience?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

In recruiter chat: I have 1.5 years of enterprise voip/IP technician support and turnup experience and am constantly harassed by recruiters for dumb poo poo I am not qualified for like Sr Systems Engineer, Sr Network engineer and the like. Is there something I can do to stop getting all these bullshit throw whatever at the wall offers, and target my search towards something that better fits my experience?

If they're calling you, go for it. What's the worst that could happen, you don't get the job?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nielsm posted:

One positive about those telemetry things and forced updates etc. in Windows 10 Home: Might keep cheapass business owners from buying lovely laptops with Home preinstalled.

Will it gently caress. Those people will search out $300 returns running Windows not-10 until they become impossible to buy. Then they will swap to PCs with Home installed and apply some hack they found online to stop Windows Update working.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Pillbug
If they don't know enough to buy Pro, why would they know enough to stop updates?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Old Man Pants posted:

If you truly want to stay in VoIP, I might try adding a title ("VoIP Engineer" or something) or even an objective/summary to the top of your resume or you could always just field the calls after listening to their voicemails. You don't want to dumb your resume down too much though? What's your long term goal? I can't tell if your first sentence refers to the VoIP world as a whole or just telecom companies like Windstream.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evobatman posted:

If they don't know enough to buy Pro, why would they know enough to stop updates?

They will know they want to stop updates, but be too tight to buy Pro. So their mate who knows computers will sort it out for them.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Old Man Pants posted:

I am broken in the head, I actually love it. :smith:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evobatman posted:

Quick question about this: I have pro on both of my machines at home, but the "free" upgrade says it's for home premium. So am I going to boot up into 10 to find all of my hyper V shot gone because it replaced my pro copy with the home edition?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds wrong. My 8.1 Pro updated to 10 Pro.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yep, my 8.1 (not pro) updated to 10 home, 7 Pro and 8.1 Pro both went to 10 Pro without issues. I did use the USB tool to upgrade them though, not sure if that matters.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Creating AD and Exchange accounts is a pretty normal T1 job, right? Or is that just password resets?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Creating AD and Exchange accounts is a pretty normal T1 job, right? Or is that just password resets?

It could be, but I'd rather see that responsibility in either a security team or HR. At the very least, the paperwork should come from or be approved by HR. Not just a random ticket from Joe Manager.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Accounts should be created automatically once HR add employees into their systems :smuggo:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It could be, but I'd rather see that responsibility in either a security team or HR. At the very least, the paperwork should come from or be approved by HR. Not just a random ticket from Joe Manager.

Okay. We get tickets from HR, but then we send them to T2 to make the AD/Exchange/ some other stuff accounts, and then we get them sent back to us for some other accounts. We're trying to get more of that on us, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't something intricate that needed more expertise.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Depending on the company size, it really should be a mostly-automated process that lives with either HR directly or a security team that gets information from HR.

If you're a smaller company, it can fall at the bottom of the totem pole, with the folk(s) who do T1 tasks in addition to more advanced stuff. You should still have a detailed checklist of that's the case. And automate as much as you can. If it's automated, it should be repeatable and reliable. (key word: Should)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is midsized company, I don't think it's automated, and the general policy is that we don't need security because we're all grownups. Yes, I know how stupid that is, but I'm in no position to change it. Everyone is a local admin, a significant chunk of the users never change their password from the default, and the reason I know this is that I get at least one or two tickets a week where they volunteer their password.

I've got a few weeks off of school. Maybe if I can wrest it away from T2, I can put together a powershell script to do it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think a really good way to get started with automation would be to require that HR submit an excel spreadsheet or csv that has all the required fields.

It might be worth the effort to protect the spreadsheet to keep them from adding columns.

From there, Powershell makes it easy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

Accounts should be created automatically once HR add employees into their pile of paperwork. :smuggo:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

To get off of this derail whatever happened to MJP? Wasnt he throwing out some pay me more/extra pto ultimatum since his employer had him doing helpdesk on top of his normal job?

I've done most of my posting in A Ticket Came In... but the summary: they hired a part-timer, this part-timer will only be here two days a week.

I'm faking sick for an interview tomorrow AM.

Later this week I'm going to inquire on the status of my raise, given that this part-timer is only in two days a week thus leaving me with 60% more helpdesk than I'm willing to do.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think a really good way to get started with automation would be to require that HR submit an excel spreadsheet or csv that has all the required fields.

It might be worth the effort to protect the spreadsheet to keep them from adding columns.

I used to install phone systems. I'd give the client an excel sheet with fields for name, extension, direct number, email, and department that they could fill out and I'd just upload it to the PBX and it'd make all the extensions. On more than one occasion I was emailed a pdf that was a scan of a print out of the excel sheet filled in by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think I could get them to do that immediately, but I should at least be able to save time opening up all of the different programs we need to create accounts for separately. It looks like each of the systems the users need an account for has either powershell cmdlets or command line commands that I could use from Powershell. Maybe from there I could show them we could save even more time by making it an excel sheet, and putting the bug in their ear that it could be even faster with a web form to run the script and make the one email that needs to actually go to a person.