Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MonsterEnvy posted:

These are really cool and I want to show them off here.

What is this? Looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Details about the Demon Lords and how the Madness rules will work with them. (As Madness rules are going to be present in Out of the Abyss and Rage of Demons.)

Pretty much in the Adventures if you do something like encounter a Demon Lord or stay in an area corrupted by them for too long, you have to make a saving throw. On a failure your madness level increases by 1 and you are infected with a madness that depends on which Demon Lord is responsible. How long the Madness lasts depends on your madness level. It starts at 0 and goes up to 3. First time your score goes up to 1 and you have short term madness. (Lasts 1d10 minutes.) Second time it goes up to 2 and you have long term madness (Lasts 1d10 x10 hours.) third time your score goes up to 3 and you have indefinite Madness (Lasts until cured.) After this if you fail your score resets to 1 and the cycle repeats.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

In some some respects a mediocre RPG is worse than a terrible one cause it causes people to waste time trying to fix it instead of moving on to something better

Personally I assume 5e has at most another year or two left before either 6e gets announced(or a extremely heavy 5.5 overhaul), or WOTC shutters the RPG department entirely

My guess is the latter, with production of the obligatory videogame tie in book every six months outsourced completely to some other company.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Details about the Demon Lords and how the Madness rules will work with them. (As Madness rules are going to be present in Out of the Abyss and Rage of Demons.)

Pretty much in the Adventures if you do something like encounter a Demon Lord or stay in an area corrupted by them for too long, you have to make a saving throw. On a failure your madness level increases by 1 and you are infected with a madness that depends on which Demon Lord is responsible. How long the Madness lasts depends on your madness level. It starts at 0 and goes up to 3. First time your score goes up to 1 and you have short term madness. (Lasts 1d10 minutes.) Second time it goes up to 2 and you have long term madness (Lasts 1d10 x10 hours.) third time your score goes up to 3 and you have indefinite Madness (Lasts until cured.) After this if you fail your score resets to 1 and the cycle repeats.
The artwork is fantastic and the Sanity mechanic could be neat, but a lot of it is going to hinge on how the 'Cure Sanity' angle works. If the Cleric just has to fart off a spell and voila, you're membrane's sane, then any sense of tension just kinda flies out the window. Also, I'm hoping they'll go with the 'discovering the unfathomable' angle driving the party towards madness instead of just having a countdown timer for combat rounds because the party is huffing evil fumes or something lazy like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Father Wendigo posted:

The artwork is fantastic and the Sanity mechanic could be neat, but a lot of it is going to hinge on how the 'Cure Sanity' angle works. If the Cleric just has to fart off a spell and voila, you're membrane's sane, then any sense of tension just kinda flies out the window. Also, I'm hoping they'll go with the 'discovering the unfathomable' angle driving the party towards madness instead of just having a countdown timer for combat rounds because the party is huffing evil fumes or something lazy like that.

I's fairly simple to cure but I don't think the tension will go away, because how often and easily characters can get it, it can be a waste of spell slots to try and cure it all the time. Plus high level magic that can be out of their reach will be needed in some cases.

Here the currently known rules on it.

quote:

At the best of times, the Underdark is a bizarre, alien, and inhospitable world, but the influence of the demon lords has transformed it into a domain of madness and chaos. The radiation faerzress acts as a catalyst, spreading the demon lords’ madness throughout the Underdark.
When adventurers enter the Underdark, begin taking into account the effects of demonic madness on the characters’ sanity. At various times during Rage of Demons, characters will be called upon to make a saving throw to resist some madness-inducing effect. In addition, characters might have to make a saving throw against madness whenever one of the following events occurs:
• The characters encounter or witness something particularly alien or disturbing (such as a demon lord).
• The characters stay in a faerzress-suffused area for a long time (eight or more consecutive hours).
• A character takes psychic damage, particularly in an area suffused with faerzress.

In adventures set during Rage of Demons, madness is measured in three levels.

Level 1 Bout of short-term madness (lasts 1d10 minutes)
Level 2 Bout of long-term madness (lasts 1d10 × 10 hours)
Level 3 Bout of indefinite madness (lasts until cured)
A creature’s madness level starts at 0. When the creature fails a madness saving throw, its madness level increases by 1, and the creature immediately suffers the level’s effect (as determined by rolling on the Short-Term Madness table, the Long-Term Madness table, or the Indefinite Madness table in the Dungeon Master’s Guide,). When the effect ends, the creature’s madness level doesn’t change. Any time the creature’s madness level increases, it suffers the effect of the new level.
If a creature with level 3 madness fails a madness saving throw, its madness level becomes 1. In this way, characters can potentially accumulate multiple forms of madness.
Bouts of short-term and long-term madness can be cured as described in the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Given the demonic source of the madness, remove curse and dispel evil and good are also effective as cures.
A greater restoration spell or more powerful magic is needed to cure indefinite madness, and also resets a creature’s madness level to 0.
Additional information on madness and its effects can be found in specific D&D Adventurers League adventures throughout the Rage of Demons season, and the "Out of the Abyss" adventure.

Likely more stuff related to the Demon Lords and their types of Madness will be added in the Adventure.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 3, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For reference, the DMG has this on curing madness:

quote:

A calm emotions spell can suppress the effects of madness, while a lesser restoration spell can rid a character of a short-term or long-term madness. Depending on the source of the madness, remove curse or dispel evil might also prove effective. A greater restoration spell or more powerful magic is required to rid a character of indefinite madness.

Calm Emotions and Lesser Restoration are level 2 spells, Remove Curse is a level 3 spell, and Dispel Evil and Good and Greater Restoration are level 5 spells

EDIT: The DMG has three different 1d100 tables for Short Term Madness, Long Term Madness and Indefinite Madness. An example of each would be:

"The character experiences an overpowering urge to eat something strange such as dirt, slime, or offal."
"The character feels compelled to repeat a specific activity over and over, such as washing hands, touching things, praying, or counting coins."
"I must bend the truth, exaggerate, or outright lie to be interesting to other people."

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 3, 2015

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
So just by going in the underdark, your characters will need magic spells to heal their minds.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Unless something is different, faerzress is not that common.

It was the special magic-mineral stuff that Drow protected/controlled to make their "automatically magic" weapons (that dissolve/de-power in sunlight).

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Roadie posted:

My guess is the latter, with production of the obligatory videogame tie in book every six months outsourced completely to some other company.

This is probably the closest guess, judging by their gencon showing this year. They barely showed up at all, had no product or d&d store, and had about 2 employees total. Everything was done as third-party sales. Even running their games is outsourced. They are also skipping all support for Pax.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FRINGE posted:

Unless something is different, faerzress is not that common.

It was the special magic-mineral stuff that Drow protected/controlled to make their "automatically magic" weapons (that dissolve/de-power in sunlight).

Actually it's magic radiation and can be found pretty much everywhere in the Underdark. Lots of creatures there live on a diet of Fungus affected by the stuff.

It also interferes with Some magic like Scrying so Drow makes their cities in area that have a high concentration of it.

ritorix posted:

This is probably the closest guess, judging by their gencon showing this year. They barely showed up at all, had no product or d&d store, and had about 2 employees total. Everything was done as third-party sales. Even running their games is outsourced. They are also skipping all support for Pax.

To be fair the adventurer's league stuff at Gencon is rather cool.

There was an interview with Mearls actually. Here is a link containing the highlights http://merricb.com/2015/08/02/mike-mearls-speaks-tome-show-interview/

Also some of you may be happy to know that Mearls himself thinks they did a bad job with the Fighter.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
No, he thinks they did a bad job branding the fighter. He has no issues with the mechanics.

Laffo that spellcasters are now even MORE necessary though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: The DMG has three different 1d100 tables for Short Term Madness, Long Term Madness and Indefinite Madness. An example of each would be:

"The character experiences an overpowering urge to eat something strange such as dirt, slime, or offal."
"The character feels compelled to repeat a specific activity over and over, such as washing hands, touching things, praying, or counting coins."
"I must bend the truth, exaggerate, or outright lie to be interesting to other people."

To expand on this. Short Term Madness results tend to be stuff that can disable or impede them for an encounter. Or just make them look goofy. Long Term Madness goes for things that lower the characters performance or makes them have to act odd until it wears off. (With one result that disables them for a while.) Indefinite madness acts as a new character flaw that changes how the character is role played but has no mechanical influence.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

To expand on this. Short Term Madness results tend to be stuff that can disable or impede them for an encounter. Or just make them look goofy. Long Term Madness goes for things that lower the characters performance or makes them have to act odd until it wears off. (With one result that disables them for a while.) Indefinite madness acts as a new character flaw that changes how the character is role played but has no mechanical influence.

Not gonna lie, this sounds awful and reinforces to me that D&D is goddamn terrible at implementing stuff like this. If i want this kind of stuff im going to go play CoC or dark heresy or something.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair the adventurer's league stuff at Gencon is rather cool.

There was an interview with Mearls actually. Here is a link containing the highlights http://merricb.com/2015/08/02/mike-mearls-speaks-tome-show-interview/

Also some of you may be happy to know that Mearls himself thinks they did a bad job with the Fighter.

It was ok, some modules were better than others. There was a module about a flotilla of airships all roped together that was awesome. The two undedark-themed ones I played were also cool. Everything I played this year was with my level 8-9 monk.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Not gonna lie, this sounds awful and reinforces to me that D&D is goddamn terrible at implementing stuff like this. If i want this kind of stuff im going to go play CoC or dark heresy or something.

I think they are fine. They are optional rules for the most part and it seems like the Demon Lords individual madness will be overpowering the chart in the actual adventure.

Out of curiosity why do they sound bad to you.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Wow, yeah, I just read the bullet points of that interview and it's... completely bullshit. Like, entirely. Besides the quick nod to UPCOMING VIDEO GAME TIE-IN PRODUCT SETTING BOOK, I don't think I saw anything that wasn't completely disingenuous. Though, here are my favorite nuggets:

quote:

* The slow release schedule is driven by Wizards’ desire to learn what the players want and are using. If Wizards do something with D&D, it’s driven by player feedback. They’re starting smaller, because they’ve consistently seen that players weren’t able to absorb the volume of information that was released in a short space of time.

* They’re paying a lot of attention to what people want – one advantage of the slower release schedule is they can do more analysis and more playtesting.

* Wizards won’t use errata while Mike is there to fix something that is otherwise fine; only if something is horribly broken will they alter it. The idea is not to fix with errata, but give new alternatives instead.

Though, I think these two, which are back to back on that log, got me the hardest.

quote:

* D&D is a very stable business – a lot of fan speculation magnifies small events beyond what they warrant.

* Mike wouldn’t talk about the reduction in staff.

Thanks, Mike, I needed the laugh today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The ones without rules support are going to be inconvenient to adjudicate at the minimum.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MonsterEnvy posted:

1) Actually it's magic radiation and can be found pretty much everywhere in the Underdark. Lots of creatures there live on a diet of Fungus affected by the stuff.

2) It also interferes with Some magic like Scrying so Drow makes their cities in area that have a high concentration of it.
Was part 1 added at some point? I knew about part 2.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Something like the madness rules might be a cool alternative to just dying you run out of hitpoints.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Was part 1 added at some point? I knew about part 2.

It's been around since at least early 3e, in the first Faerun sourcebook. It may be older, but I've never looked at pre-3e setting material.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they are fine. They are optional rules for the most part and it seems like the Demon Lords individual madness will be overpowering the chart in the actual adventure.

Out of curiosity why do they sound bad to you.

Because its all falling a very lovely and poorly thought out resolution mechanism. Its resolved by a save or suck effect that if you dont stop and cure it immediately you get really bad long term problems that you cant just fix instantaneously. So this just forces the party to carry a healer around and stopping any time someone gets hit by one of these effects or you risk being completely screwed. So again, its giving even more strength to the 'well ive gotten as crazy as you can for the day, guess lets go home and rest'. Additionally in a game where you become demi-gods pretty quickly (if youre playing the right class obviously) its all hugely irrelevant since you only need a level 3 spell to cure 90% of the problems you're going to come across. Level 5 characters are mostly making this system irrelevant long term and then it just becomes a save or suck spell that some enemies can cast.

There's no gradual buildup or risk when participating in it, theres no narrative going on, some classes straight out ignore it or have saves that just let me pass it (im going to assume the DCs are going to be all over the place). Theres also no ability to ignore or avoid this stuff as a player since you're specifically going to be facing it without any alternative. Reducing it is dependent on having the right spellcasting classes to just fix the issue too. None of this sounds remotely appealing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fool_of_sound posted:

It's been around since at least early 3e, in the first Faerun sourcebook. It may be older, but I've never looked at pre-3e setting material.

It's in the 2e monstrous manual under the dark elf ecology section. Also in the complete book of elves I think where their adamantite chain is described. Might be in 1e, but I don't have access to that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Because its all falling a very lovely and poorly thought out resolution mechanism. Its resolved by a save or suck effect that if you dont stop and cure it immediately you get really bad long term problems that you cant just fix instantaneously. So this just forces the party to carry a healer around and stopping any time someone gets hit by one of these effects or you risk being completely screwed. So again, its giving even more strength to the 'well ive gotten as crazy as you can for the day, guess lets go home and rest'. Additionally in a game where you become demi-gods pretty quickly (if youre playing the right class obviously) its all hugely irrelevant since you only need a level 3 spell to cure 90% of the problems you're going to come across. Level 5 characters are mostly making this system irrelevant long term and then it just becomes a save or suck spell that some enemies can cast.

There's no gradual buildup or risk when participating in it, theres no narrative going on, some classes straight out ignore it or have saves that just let me pass it (im going to assume the DCs are going to be all over the place). Theres also no ability to ignore or avoid this stuff as a player since you're specifically going to be facing it without any alternative. Reducing it is dependent on having the right spellcasting classes to just fix the issue too. None of this sounds remotely appealing.

Bards, Paladins, Druid, Rangers, and Clerics can fix it. But no it's not really needed for you to cure every time. Most of the effects are not debilitating enough to bother fixing in some cases. Like becoming an Alcoholic. Some are worse then others. Some are just disadvantage on charisma checks, while others disable you.

As for the saves they are Wisdom and Charisma for madness so no classes ignore it.

Anyway noone really knows how it's going to work. Well Ritorix might if it was involved in the games he played in Gencon.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is largely what's happening in real life game that's been real off and on I got drawn into. Dude absolutely adores 3.x and has binders and binders of worldbuilding he's done with it...and not a single person in the group cares. We want to murder some fuckers and loot shinies. Every game inevitably turns into that whole "5 hours of game, half an hour of fun" as he tries to talk up the runes on graves and the cultures in the area and the political strife between two factions nearby, and meanwhile our party has literally Laura Croft The Elf and a rastafarian bard, and none of us give a poo poo. We get long monologues of how this culture treats their horses and precise measurements on how this graveyard is set up and our response every time is "Is anyone here hot we can score with, and then can we kill something and take it's sweet magic items and gold?" We play maybe once a month, if that, because it's more or less "whenever he corners us"

People talk up 3.x as being the "player" edition because of all the different classes and multiclasses and combos and the dreaded "player entitlement" but I don't think it is. I think 3.x is the not actually playing edition, because it pushes DMs to spend all their time making pointless details nobody cares about, and players to make character builds they'll never actually play.

Lots of DMs do this sort of thing, it's not exactly a 3E thing. In a certain amount I find it welcome because eventually LOOT/SMASH/REPEAT can get a little old if it's all you're doing, but games that are 90% storytime do tend to stink up the joint.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bards, Paladins, Druid, Rangers, and Clerics can fix it. But no it's not really needed for you to cure every time. Most of the effects are not debilitating enough to bother fixing in some cases. Like becoming an Alcoholic. Some are worse then others. Some are just disadvantage on charisma checks, while others disable you.

As for the saves they are Wisdom and Charisma for madness so no classes ignore it.

Anyway noone really knows how it's going to work. Well Ritorix might if it was involved in the games he played in Gencon.

The dm made a few checks for it but everyone passed. In AL you can probably just pay for a cure too, it's not like money does anything else.

I did get turned to stone by a gorgon once. That was fun, er at least it gave me a chance for a food break, because that's a "you can't play anymore" move.

Best move from the con was a twinned banishment spell. OP as gently caress. Also I got polyed into a giant ape once to tank a boss fire giant. 150thp lasted 2 rounds. He was a loving pain to kill.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Clerics have wis and cha dont they? Also yeah if they turn into long term -> permanent debuffs then they need to be cured asap or you are going to have to spend higher level spells to get rid of them. This is like wizard 101 stuff.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mecha Gojira posted:

quote:

They’re starting smaller, because they’ve consistently seen that players weren’t able to absorb the volume of information that was released in a short space of time.
Thanks, Mike, I needed the laugh today.
Ahahaha, Mearls is literally calling his targeted player base slow-witted morons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of the effects are not debilitating enough to bother fixing in some cases. Like becoming an Alcoholic.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

quote:

* The game can become unmanageable with too many options; Organised Play has the idea of only one expansion book allowed per season, which is somewhat analogous to Magic: the Gathering set rotation. The designers will try to make things compatible, but “one expansion book per campaign” is likely to be a better way of balancing things and guarding against unforeseen combinations.

The thought expressed by Mearls is that every campaign should use only a single splat book. Someone* in the interview was quick to backpedal and say that of course you can do otherwise at home, but then Mearls doubles down and says you won't get a balanced result out of it because it's too hard to balance with multiple splats (which is actually reasonable when you're talking about 3.X's release schedule). It's so good that Core is already well balanced and not at all prone to accidental abuse of long rests leading to ridiculous power discrepancies.

*Mearls with a momentarily hoarse voice? The interviewer? Some PR handler? I'm not good enough with podcasts to tell who exactly it was.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kingcom posted:

The fact that's it's just Level 1, 2 and 3 is really kinda terrible since it can just suddenly happen with no warning. IMO, it'd be better as a track like HP with triggers at 1/4, 1/2 and max or something so that there's an actual buildup in tension as the character slowly feels like they're going to snap at any moment and the players have something to really illustrate an actual sort of growing sense of dread.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So was the last Unearthed Arcana the Psionics one? And if so, or not, how far back was it? When should we expect a new Unearthed Arcana?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of the effects are not debilitating enough to bother fixing in some cases. Like becoming an Alcoholic.

You're really this dense, aren't you?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
yeah this game's pretty obviously doomed, Mearls is just saying otherwise to avoid getting fired

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I goddamn love MonsterEnvy. If you scare him off I will fite you irl.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Well how debilitating would, in game, alcoholism be?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Xelkelvos posted:

That's up to your DM.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I don't see how being turned into a Dwarf is a problem.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Speciesist.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Addiction is a disease.

Roll a constitution save. :rolldice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

This is my point. Plus you would be in the underdark not going to find any easily there.

drrockso20 posted:

yeah this game's pretty obviously doomed, Mearls is just saying otherwise to avoid getting fired

I don't care much for Mearls but this is not true. Game is selling too well and is too popular to go down anytime soon. This thread is one of the few places that hates it.