Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Don't knock a talent for cheap shots, either. They get results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Can't forget Spender kind of had no idea what was even happening in the fight with Forge. It was mostly miscommunication and machismo that led to them duking it out at all, which is its own kind of incompetence.

Compare Isaac and the Sphinx, with Isaac doing everything he could to avoid escalating the conflict (and even noted non-pacifist Max recognizing that Isaac getting violent was a poor solution), and it eventually was resolved by pointing out a logical inconsistency. And the Sphinx wanted to eat them. Forge was attending to business entirely unrelated (which, admittedly, Spender seemed to both understand and think was not what Forge believed it to be.)

... I get why Zach compared Paranatural to X-Men, because he plants plot seeds the way Claremont did in the Bronze Age. You come away with the impression that all these passing little glimpses of bigger pictures are building to something, and we'll come to them, some time after the current thing. Right now the current thing is hit ball, but it's always something. It flows. The character stuff keeps you week to week, and the impression that something is happening keeps you looking to the future. It's great. Paranatural is great. Life is beautiful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Spender's need to be the Hard Man Making Hard Choices has led him to making a bunch of hard choices that weren't actually necessary, like fighting to the death with Forge, who he should have been able to make into an ally, and leaving his students in mortal peril to do so, leading to the effective destruction of a team member (not that Spender noticed or cared). He's also keeping secrets from Isaac for some reason in a way that's leaving his most powerful and unbalanced charge increasingly alienated, which is almost certainly a bigger problem than whatever basic data Spender wants to keep away from the storm spirit.

Spender is technically competent in pretty much every area. He is bad at his job not because he isn't good at it, but because he continues to make incredibly bad decisions.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
He's the talented but immature anime protagonist who thinks he's grown up to be the cool and wise leader but hasn't.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I actually think Spender's self-esteem is quite a bit lower than that, and his bumbling comes from overcompensating.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cody is going to call Jeff his nakama, isn't he? I can smell it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nephthys posted:

I actually think Spender's self-esteem is quite a bit lower than that, and his bumbling comes from overcompensating.

I agree, I don't think Spender has that high of an opinion of himself. Francisco's presence is pretty grounding for him and Lucifer is always there to give him the harshest of truths.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nephthys posted:

He's a grown man who has shown basically zero ability to forge (no pun intended) or maintain meaningful relationships with his age group and peers. Who compensates by finding potentially at-risk children with unique life conditions and, using his position of authority, forces said children to spend time with him and do as he tells them. Even when it (often) means putting them in serious danger, usually due to callous negligence on his part. All while enforcing a strict code of secrecy about their private activities, even and especially as it relates to proper authorities who might be able to actually help them.

Spender's kind of a mess, and a bit of a terrible person. Based on the end of the last chapter I'm pretty sure it's going to disastrously bite him in the rear end at some point. Possibly in the near future, for a given value of near.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Old Man Guerra trusts his granddaughter with Spender, and despite saying otherwise obviously has some level of respect for him, so Spender isn't a complete failure and train wreck. But yeah, I'll agree that his self-imposed vows of secrecy and isolation from his peers is a major flaw that has and will continue to get him into major trouble.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Old Man Guerra trusts his granddaughter with Spender, and despite saying otherwise obviously has some level of respect for him, so Spender isn't a complete failure and train wreck. But yeah, I'll agree that his self-imposed vows of secrecy and isolation from his peers is a major flaw that has and will continue to get him into major trouble.

Yeah, Guerra telling that he respects his skill to his face is telling. That might even be his way of saying, have some drat confidence as that's probably what Spender lacks the most. At least it seems that way given that he seems fixated on approval from both his spirit and Guerra.

It probably doesn't help that Lucy is probably always knocking him down a peg. Maybe, Spender is probably a product of the current teaching/consortium training system, dealing with all those overwhelming personalities. Clearly it's Max's future if he ever succumbs to the anime. :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given Isabel's own issues with her grandfather, it's rather likely Francisco's not the best teacher (in terms of personability and such at least) either.

Also, in regards to the thing about kids a few posts up, if nothing else Spender's guidance is probably better than none for spectral kids; imagine seeing all that crap and having no idea what any of it is or ever receiving any explanation. And then getting eaten by some evil cat. That would suck. (And for the "forces" them thing, joining the Activity Club is optional, as stated in the first chapter. Also since we're speculating that Dmitri left, well.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I definitely don't think we're supposed to view Spender as a bad person yeah. He's portrayed as bumbling, absentminded, and melodramatic, but never cruel or openly uncaring. Like people said, those are the characteristics of a protagonist who is still coming into their own. If anything, Spender is supposed to come across as an unfortunate goof who's in over his head, someone we can empathize with.

But he keeps loving up, so I sorta feel that Zack (who clearly likes Spender quite a bit - and not as a villain - if you read any of his social media) is starting to wear out the reader's patience in Spender actually being a decent guy because he sure hasn't been showing us that.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

Countblanc posted:

I definitely don't think we're supposed to view Spender as a bad person yeah. He's portrayed as bumbling, absentminded, and melodramatic, but never cruel or openly uncaring. Like people said, those are the characteristics of a protagonist who is still coming into their own. If anything, Spender is supposed to come across as an unfortunate goof who's in over his head, someone we can empathize with.

But he keeps loving up, so I sorta feel that Zack (who clearly likes Spender quite a bit - and not as a villain - if you read any of his social media) is starting to wear out the reader's patience in Spender actually being a decent guy because he sure hasn't been showing us that.

Spender isn't a bad person, he's just kind of a lovely one.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prawn Salad posted:

Yeah, nothing about him really reads as villain. If anything he's trying to be the cool anti-hero but is failing at it. I think he's pretty sympathetic, especially since his mentors treat him terribly most of the time apparently.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Countblanc posted:

I hate to keep bringing this up but I really this is just a pacing issue. Spender has been around for years but this is like Max's first week at school and Spender isn't around this adventure, we can't explore his entire character arc in one adventure.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, this is only like Max's third or fourth day at school, and the story started with his first. The story arcs of paranatural are just beginning. Webcomic pacing.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Prawn Salad posted:

I'm just waiting for Francisco to recover Eightfold and find out what happened on that train.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Webcomic pacing is my only critique of Parantural, because it's a lot of fun, well-written and well-drawn but the scope of story he's been staking out over several years is not one he can likely reasonably complete. It's been 350 pages over 4 years and I'd hazard we couldn't be more than a quarter of the way through - is Zack going to keep making Parantural for another 12 years?

As a webcomic, Parantural might work better with a faster pace, with arcs and sequences that don't last longer than a dozen pages, skipping ahead days at a time and communicating more of the consequences from these big scenes with hints. Or, the story he's telling might work better as a novel with plenty of room to explore scenes like this hitball battle without having to worry about the art making it take months to complete. If this were some big commercial venture it'd make a great animated T.V. show.

Of course, as it's Zack's own project and he's having fun with it he's free to do what he likes and write it for as long as he wants (even if it's another dozen years) and he certainly doesn't owe anyone anything. I just find it hard to be sure that all the cool stuff he's setting up he'll actually have time to get to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gunnerkrigg Court turned 10 this year. It's not inconceivable for story driven webcomics to last a long time without wearing out their welcome. (I realize your point was more about Zach's willingness to go for that long.)

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
If Zach has likened Paranatural to X-Men, then does that mean that Spender is Cyclops? :v:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tupperwarez posted:

If Zach has likened Paranatural to X-Men, then does that mean that Spender is Cyclops? :v:

Professor X. But with less crushes on his students.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Spender's more like 80's Magneto when he was in charge of the New Mutants

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

Spender's more like 80's Magneto when he was in charge of the New Mutants

But Max is Magneto...

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So hungry for that update.... I'm starvin' here.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Rotten Cookies posted:

So hungry for that update.... I'm starvin' here.

Let the anime flow free

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
The student council might as well be the Spender Fan-Club for how much unnecessary effort they go through to try and be cool.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dimitri, Max and Johnny are slowly fusing together.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Dimitri, Max and Johnny are slowly fusing together.

Imagine if Max with his magnet-snake-bat fused with Johnny and his soon to manifest Forge powers did a fusion dance. They'd be like, super goddamn powerful.

Come on Zach, go maximum anime, do a fusion dance. And a tournament arc.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

red plastic cup posted:

The student council might as well be the Spender Fan-Club for how much unnecessary effort they go through to try and be cool.
Yeah, but they actually look cool though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm genuinely surprised the Student Council President (?) didn't botch the landing like Spender did.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Hmm. The bit with the rectangles might be a JoJo part 7 reference. Golden rectangles are kind of a thing there.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this is getting a bit too anime. also a bit too many featureless backgrounds

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Cody being a dweeb makes his friendship with Jeff super the best. 'Cause Cody could easily be a cool kid, and hang out with other cool kids? He's affable, socially competent, conventionally attractive, and laughably good at sports. But, at heart, he's a huge dork. Jeff is his people. idk I just think it's great. Dork bros.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
See though, that's the thing. He is one of the cool kids. He's just one that's intensely dorky, painfully sincere and bffsies4lyfe with a massive nerd.
Which is also pretty great, I think.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Cody is the best character in a comic full of best characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

I was not consciously aware of the background until I read your post

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you didn't get the clue way back when Spender got a sparkle of light on his shades while pushing them up and then threw it like a ninja star I really don't know what to tell you. poo poo's been anime forever.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

A big flaming stink posted:

So there needs to be an elaborate background to distract from the action because...???

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

So there needs to be an elaborate background to distract from the action because...???

There doesn't, but it's something you notice if you go looking for it. Particularly if you compare the latest pages to his earlier chapters:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-20

It's not so much a "problem" as it is "something that could be better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

readingatwork posted:

There doesn't, but it's something you notice if you go looking for it. Particularly if you compare the latest pages to his earlier chapters:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-20

It's not so much a "problem" as it is "something that could be better".

that's hardly a fair comparison page

I mean two pages later:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-22

full of no background panels