Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Got my book. Corners crushed, whiteboard archetypes appear to have errors from original draft of the rules. Well that's the last time I back an Atlas KS.

I too blame people who make things when they get delivered to me in less-than-stellar condition, especially without asking if you can get another copy to replace what was probably done by USPS, UPS or someone outside of Atlas.

More seriously, it is a little annoying that they got the wrong PDF in there, but it strongly effects like 4 archetypes. Unless you plan on exclusively running con-style one-shots, it's usually not going to be a big deal especially if you own scissors and scotch tape. It makes me less happy, but not enough to swear off a company for a mostly on time, mostly complete, mostly successful kickstarter. Plus, if they decide to make them not a KS exclusive, there's a good chance they'll give discounted/free versions for those who backed them. Nothing they've done so far has made me think they're not going to try to fix errors on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am pretty salty about the error-ridden archetype sheets, myself. I really think they should have been checked better before any kind of print run. (The current ones still have some issues, but nothing too huge.) I wouldn't be so annoyed if they hadn't cost $30; I really wish I would have gone with the shot counter instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Have there been problems with the other KS rewards?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How many of the archetype sheets have errors and how bad are they. I got my kickstarter stuff the other day and am really satisfied with the look and quality of everything. The only complaint I could muster is I kind of wish the front of the gm screen showed some action going on instead of just the name of the game and some of the characters. I backed at the Sifu level so I got like all of the extras and later on bought the PDF packs of Feng Shui. I went all in for this game.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Just got my package! Everything seems really good so far, the book's in fine condition. But flipping through my emails, I don't think I ever got my Crazy Pack PDFs or Blowing Up The Movies. Who/what would I contact to ask about that?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

American goons, how is Feng Shui coming? USPS or UPS/FedEx? I haven't received mine yet and I'm getting needlessly nervous about it. :v:

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

USPS, I believe.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

American goons, how is Feng Shui coming? USPS or UPS/FedEx? I haven't received mine yet and I'm getting needlessly nervous about it. :v:

I got mine with USPS Priority Mail.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slightly Lions posted:

Just got my package! Everything seems really good so far, the book's in fine condition. But flipping through my emails, I don't think I ever got my Crazy Pack PDFs or Blowing Up The Movies. Who/what would I contact to ask about that?

Yeah I had missed out on my Crazy Packs as well a few months back. I'd send them a message via kickstarter and they'll sort it out with you. Blowing Up the Movies was a great read I read the whole thing the day I got it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thelazyblank posted:

I too blame people who make things when they get delivered to me in less-than-stellar condition, especially without asking if you can get another copy to replace what was probably done by USPS, UPS or someone outside of Atlas.

You're a condescending asswipe.

I spent a lot of money on this KS because I'm a huge OG Feng Shui fan and even own the first printing of the original Daedalus edition of the game. So I backed real deep on this one, and imagine my surprise when I received my my $160 worth of Feng Shui poo poo and saw that it was stacked haphazardly in a pile and then wrapped in a thin cardboard shell that provided no protection. Literally all my poo poo got a corner crushed: the GM screen, my shot counter, the book, etc. with the Archetype sheets being the only thing undamaged because they're uncrushable. I'm unhappy with cheap shipping and that is 100% Atlas's fault, not the carrier.

I do run almost exclusively one shots which means the expensive and bug-ridden Archetype sheets are a real problem, I barely have any free time outside of my dedicated game night and I really don't want to spend it pulling out scissors and a pen and scotch tape to fix stupid-rear end errors on a product I paid a premium for. In addition, a bunch of tape and hand-written numbers that weren't put there in the course of play ruins the aesthetics of the sheets IMO.

Now I've contacted Atlas and I'll let this thread know what happens and if they do right by me. Until that moment it's 100% acceptable to be mad about getting 160 dollars worth of cheaply-shipped damaged product and bug-ridden player aids. Not. Happy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My copy arrived perfectly fine. It had the same packing style yours did I imagine, but my mail never gets mangled.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Mine came in great shape, but the archetypes are bugging me for much the same reason.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm not saying that it was literally impossible for my stuff to come to me undamaged, I'm saying it was shipped cheaply with substandard packaging that failed to protect my stuff IF the shipper got handsy (which, as somebody who has sold his RPG stuff on Amazon, you have to account for).

Proof: my stuff has a big 'ole dent in it.

I probably wouldn't have given that much of a poo poo normally except the Archetype sheets were a very expensive add-on that I agonized over and they're complete poo poo. So all my stuff is damaged or defective in some way. Except the dice.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 3, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Folks like Evil Hat have come out and straight up said that they pick cheaper shipping because it's less expensive in the long run to replace a handful of damaged packages.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cool, well, I guess I drew the short straw and gotta waste my time with this. It's bullshit but whatever.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

Folks like Evil Hat have come out and straight up said that they pick cheaper shipping because it's less expensive in the long run to replace a handful of damaged packages.

These companies that do mid-range kickstarters aren't full of money and are trapped in a shipping situation that sucks for everyone involved. If it's actually cheaper to send someone two books cheaply than one book well packed, then no one is coming out ahead.

Sorry about your stuff, dude. Also, sorry about adding onto the problem. Logistics is one of those business aspects that people don't talk about enough and right now it sucks to be shipping anything over a pound. Blaming any producer for the shipping situation right now feels like it's missing the point, but I forget that logistics isn't something that most people think about on a day-to-day basis.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thelazyblank posted:

These companies that do mid-range kickstarters aren't full of money and are trapped in a shipping situation that sucks for everyone involved. If it's actually cheaper to send someone two books cheaply than one book well packed, then no one is coming out ahead.
No, it's more like

Everyone well packaged + miniscule re-sends

vs.

Everyone mediocre packaged + somewhat more re-sends.

Most packages probably arrive fine. I know mine did. And of those that don't, some backers are content to leave it be. (I generally am, for example, within some limits, if I plan to use it in a game.) It was pretty noticeable how minimal the FS2 packaging was, I have to say. Pretty much just a thin cardboard wrapper.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

You shouldn't want to resend anything because that's lost product, which is significant waste on full-color hardcovers. If they've looked at a situation and thought "It's cheaper to get a little ill will due to having to resend more books plus having to ship out an extra book than it is to risk the package being heavier or bigger", it's not a good situation for either the recipient or the sender.

This is a weird tangent that I'm willing to chase because I'm anxiously waiting for my stuff to arrive tomorrow and it's a real problem that a lot people don't think about/don't know about. I did basic mailing of checks and remits for nearly a year, and the few times we had to ship anything over half a pound, it'd turn into a minor fiasco because of needing expenses approved and etc etc, and all we shipped was expensive pieces of folded paper. It's just a terrible time to be shipping things that are considered packages.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So how messed up are the archetype sheets? I haver compared them to what's printed in the book or the fixed pdf yet?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Here's some of my comments...

* Full Metal Nutball, Bag Full of Guns II has lopped off the leading 1 for the Rhino and Mossberg damage values. Homemade guns aren't capitalized, but I'm not sure if they should be.
* Bounty Hunter's signature weapon bonus is not included in the damage values on the right hand side.
* Maverick Cop doesn't have accurate damage values on the S&W Model 29, or else it's not really a .357. I'm kinda confused. Damage value should not be 8.
* Gene Freak "Push" should have the dark box shot cost in the lower left corner, just like the Ghost does for Chi Blast (Good job on the gene freak, btw)
* Ghost Chi Blast shouldn't have a Magic cost in the lower left corner
* Sifu's Healing Chi has the boxes backwards. Should indicate 3 shots and 1 chi; right now it is displaying 1 chi and 3 shots. Sifu's Corners of the Mouth's doesn't cost 3 chi, I think?
* Sorcerer's Scroll power has the header "Heal Wounds" - also listed as a Heal specialty.
* Supernatural Creature's Awesoming Up box overflows off the right
* Pg 27, The Way the Wind Blows - should this be called an Immunity Bonus?
* Pg 73, Aerial Pushaway, shows a chi cost of 1, when it recovers chi.
* Is the Masked Avenger supposed to have an 18 defense? I am guessing this is a typo due to the normal ranges for other values.
* Bandit p29. Hard to Kill refers to a Death Check outcome. This doesn't happen until after the fight, but the shtick is to let them get back into a fight.
* With his Fu shtick, Ex Special Forces should have a Chi stat, not Fortune.
* Karate Cop p. 59. Ouch! - if the Swerve is negative, and it seems like it would usually be, how does this shtick work?
* Masked Avenger. The armor's stat line and description mismatch for Thunk and Pop Back.
* Should the Martial Artist have a Martial Arts value of 13? (no.)
* Is the Everyman Hero supposed to have Attack and Defense of 15 (no)
* Scrappy Kid can pick Seduction when Awesoming Up.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Basically, from the list above, it looks like they used the initial PDF release, carrying through the errors to the archetype sheets, rather than the updated PDF that doesn't have these errors.

drat, that does suck. I'm gonna wait until I get them before e-mailing them, in case there's other stuff wrong with what I get, but there were a lot of silly errors in that first PDF.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Here's some of my comments...

* Full Metal Nutball, Bag Full of Guns II has lopped off the leading 1 for the Rhino and Mossberg damage values. Homemade guns aren't capitalized, but I'm not sure if they should be.
* Bounty Hunter's signature weapon bonus is not included in the damage values on the right hand side.
* Maverick Cop doesn't have accurate damage values on the S&W Model 29, or else it's not really a .357. I'm kinda confused. Damage value should not be 8.
* Gene Freak "Push" should have the dark box shot cost in the lower left corner, just like the Ghost does for Chi Blast (Good job on the gene freak, btw)
* Ghost Chi Blast shouldn't have a Magic cost in the lower left corner
* Sifu's Healing Chi has the boxes backwards. Should indicate 3 shots and 1 chi; right now it is displaying 1 chi and 3 shots. Sifu's Corners of the Mouth's doesn't cost 3 chi, I think?
* Sorcerer's Scroll power has the header "Heal Wounds" - also listed as a Heal specialty.
* Supernatural Creature's Awesoming Up box overflows off the right
* Pg 27, The Way the Wind Blows - should this be called an Immunity Bonus?
* Pg 73, Aerial Pushaway, shows a chi cost of 1, when it recovers chi.
* Is the Masked Avenger supposed to have an 18 defense? I am guessing this is a typo due to the normal ranges for other values.
* Bandit p29. Hard to Kill refers to a Death Check outcome. This doesn't happen until after the fight, but the shtick is to let them get back into a fight.
* With his Fu shtick, Ex Special Forces should have a Chi stat, not Fortune.
* Karate Cop p. 59. Ouch! - if the Swerve is negative, and it seems like it would usually be, how does this shtick work?
* Masked Avenger. The armor's stat line and description mismatch for Thunk and Pop Back.
* Should the Martial Artist have a Martial Arts value of 13? (no.)
* Is the Everyman Hero supposed to have Attack and Defense of 15 (no)
* Scrappy Kid can pick Seduction when Awesoming Up.

Jesus some of these are bad and make them pretty much unplayable right out of the box without heavy modification. Which defeats the purpose of just picking them up and playing. Hell waiting for these was half the reason I haven't run a game if it yet. Have people been complaining on the Kickstarter about them sending out the sheets in such terrible order?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I don't know, man. Yeah, I can't use these as is. I feel like a huge nerd for it, but there you go. I spent a ton of time checking those characters on the initial pdf in part because I knew I'd be getting the archetype sheets. And, welp.

I wrote an initial email and kind of blew it off buy honestly it's bothering me more and more how much these lovely sheets cost, so I'll probably email them again.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

No I understands exactly how you feel I backed at the Sifu level just to get these sheets and all the the other bells and whistles to run this game and now in kind of pisses me off that these sheets are useless for quick pick up and play. I had thought that people were exaggerating but I hate to see you guys weren't. I hope Atlas Games will do the right thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think these sheets are, honestly, one step above worthless and if anyone wants to put something together I'll be glad to join in. I haven't sent my email to Atlas quite yet - hung up with real life stuff - here but I'm honestly thinking about just asking them for a refund on them. They suck.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, the main reason I backed Sifu was so I could just drop the sheets in front of people and run a 1-shot. If I can't do that then they're worthless - I could have just printed out the ones from the book and laminated them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cam said on RPGNet that the archetype sheets were from the original PDFs, not the final one. He didn't say what Atlas planned to do about it one way or the other, probably because it was GenCon weekend so they didn't have the ability to sit down and hash it out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think these sheets are, honestly, one step above worthless and if anyone wants to put something together I'll be glad to join in. I haven't sent my email to Atlas quite yet - hung up with real life stuff - here but I'm honestly thinking about just asking them for a refund on them. They suck.
I've emailed them about it. Once "oh haha look at this" and then last night a bit more directly, looking for options and letting them know I was really dissatisfied. Because, yeah, they are pretty well useless.

I emailed both Cam and the "crowdfund" email, which is also probably Cam. I haven't heard back.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

So, everything got here in one piece. Not even bothering opening the archetype sheets if they're as hosed up as people say. But the GM screen and the shot counter are solid. GM screen has pretty much everything you'd need to run the game except for generic numbers for enemies, but that's probably something you should be prepping anyways. Shot counter looked broken at first, but they made it into a long line rather than the two-tiered one in the book. The number of tokens is pretty nice, and includes enough tokens to double-up on every archetype, plus a bunch of extra generic symbols for status effects and the like.

The leatherette book also looks nice while not feeling like something I should never touch again. The inside, from quick glance, looks gorgeous. If it wasn't for the archetype sheets, it'd be a job well done.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah got my package too. It thankfully arrived in good condition. A lot of it is nice but the archetype sheets stuff is a downer. Oh well the actual book is great and I'll be rainy it front to back in preparing for a one shot of it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Has anyone heard anything on the archetype sheets yet, from Atlas?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

Has anyone heard anything on the archetype sheets yet, from Atlas?

I have heard nothing, but it's post-Gencon and they clearly exhausted themselves trying to get this poo poo out in time for the convention. I'm giving them 72 hours, which I think is reasonable.

I've decided that I would send them another 5 bucks for reprinted Archetype sheets that are correct. Otherwise I want a 20 dollar refund for them and a new set of books + add-ons that aren't damaged. We'll see what happens.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 5, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I imagine Cam especially may be ducking some internet stuff because of the Ennies thing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What happened with the Ennies?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

KomradeX posted:

What happened with the Ennies?

You know Zak S? OSR game designer that's also a porn star, has been banned from pretty much every RPG forum on the internet for being an insufferable dick, encourages his fan base to harass people out of the industry? Well, he won four ENnies this year and a bunch of people walked out and now Zak's doing exactly what you'd expect him to be doing.

EDIT: Here is a nice collection of links on why Zak S is a bad person, on the subject.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 5, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Didn't he also get like ten times more votes on his thing that won than it has sales?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Didn't he also get like ten times more votes on his thing that won than it has sales?

It's based on voting at the website, as opposed to quality or casting a ballot irl, so I imagine it's pretty easy to spoof an IP and vote multiple times. 5E D&D won in just about every other category, including best screen with one of the worst screens ever produced, so the Ennies don't mean poo poo.

When Zak S. wins a Diana Jones award, that's when you need to start questioning the state of things.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, main thing is that Cam got identified as the 'conservative ringleader' of the walkout so I imagine he may be delayed responding to things because shitheads.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 6, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

You know Zak S? OSR game designer that's also a porn star, has been banned from pretty much every RPG forum on the internet for being an insufferable dick, encourages his fan base to harass people out of the industry? Well, he won four ENnies this year and a bunch of people walked out and now Zak's doing exactly what you'd expect him to be doing.

EDIT: Here is a nice collection of links on why Zak S is a bad person, on the subject.

I have never heard of Zack S or the RPGPundit before and I really loving wish I could go back to that.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, main thing is that Cam got identified as the 'conservative ringleader' of the walkout so I imagine he may be delayed responding to things because shitheads.

So what Zack S did is what the Sad Puppies did. So now because Cam was disgusted by this he and others walked out in protest and now he's being besieged by shitheads?

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cam is on twitter and seems to be functioning semi-normally. I think he's just trying to figure out what to do about this.

I haven't heard anything from Atlas. Used their contact form and everything. Starting to get annoyed, but they still have until tomorrow.

• Locked thread