Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dastardly posted:

Looks like a beetle/cockroach with a skull for a face.

How kafkaesque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Dastardly posted:

This. There were human characters I thought were roosters until I emulated the game. It's a shame since the textures are pretty drat detailed but it's hard to see thanks to how compressed they are and then stretched onto ps1 models.
It's kind of amazing how vast and varied the populace are in FFIX, and the thing is they don't even actively try to make it a racial thing like they do with Ivalice, it's all just people hanging out and going all over the place. You got duck people, tapir people, rodent people like Freya, humans, dog people, hippos, and it's really cool that the game never makes it a huge thing, they're just there and they're people.

If anything the only divides in this game are basically classist which we saw a small portion of with the rich people in the audience and the poor people on the roofs back during the theatre play. It comes up a lot more further on down the line but that's one of the things I love about this game. Freya herself I extremely love as a cool lady with a rather interesting moveset that kind of befuddled me when I first played this.

But I was just like "wait she's a rat lady that is so cool :allears:"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I think it's cool how FFIX is full of animal people but weird that only humans and rats really seem to have their own civilizations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The whole Regent thing bothered me, since a Regent is just someone who rules in the interim because the actual ruler is a minor/absent/incapacitated, while it's pretty clear that the Cids are actually the Kings.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Kheldarn posted:

The whole Regent thing bothered me, since a Regent is just someone who rules in the interim because the actual ruler is a minor/absent/incapacitated, while it's pretty clear that the Cids are actually the Kings.

Might be a Gondor thing going on.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
For all my problems with this game, I do really like Freya's little introduction there. Such quality characterisation for Zidane.

And even though I'm kind of sick to death of the Lindblum Castle music, it's still incredibly loving good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is on the disc, a thing that room never does!
For real? That's pretty insane.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Bet it's a real pain if you have two people on the opposite ends of those stairs trying to get to the other side.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dastardly posted:

Looks like a beetle/cockroach with a skull for a face.

Oglops are great, because often in games there are characters who are "beautiful" or "tough" and you kinda have to take the character's word for it. In this game though, most people are freaked out by oglops, and they're legitimately freaky looking. They give me the creeps.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

The German translators apparently thought the same: Here, Lindblum is the Großherzogtum Lindblum (Granddukedom of Lindblum) and Cid is a straight up Großherzog (Grandduke) reigning over Lindblum like an absolutist monarch.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Oglops are great, because often in games there are characters who are "beautiful" or "tough" and you kinda have to take the character's word for it. In this game though, most people are freaked out by oglops, and they're legitimately freaky looking. They give me the creeps.

Until that art was posted, I just though they were a type of frog. Now I think they're related to Skulltulas. From the family Creepyas Fuckus.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER FOUR: "Hold on," Kukri panicked. "We are driving right into a black waltz."

Dali is the first nonitem shop in the game. Naturally weird poo poo happens as a result.

My fortune, for those who care. This game has quite a few, for something a player checks once per playthrough.

My color's still the same as Mega64's, though.

For some reason "Makin' Crazy Money! Vol.2" mentions buying all the wrists...!?

So, out of Pinions, I sell Ethers. I can make those back later and don't use them much anyway.

Anyway, I buy all the wrists. Not immediately, but by the time I leave Dali I have 99.

With the shreds of money left, I get new hats and some gloves for Steiner (since I missed the pair in the Prima Vista).

Stellazio. Somehow I actually recall where they all are, though a few I forget the specific spot.

"This whole level 1 thing is actually a scheme for pity points."

Tetra Master is in-universe a mysterious game. This makes it really weird as the players do not know how the game works. Is it magical?

Anyway the second character is attack type. P targets the third value, M targets the fourth, X targets whichever is the smaller, and A does that but can target attack power too.

There are two big points, in early disc 2 and 3 respectively, where we'll get cards for the Battle City Tournament. Winning the Three Egyptian God Cards is somewhere between "literally mechanically" mandatory and ".002% chance you can survive without" mandatory.

A fair bit of the level one game is like that.

Not a whole lot else matters in Dali, so I move on.

Didn't need to steal this not-useful item from the Plant Brain after all.

I don't open the door since the Pinion isn't worth having encounters. Besides, one fewer Pinion is one more I have to steal as part of getting 834 cumulative.

I'm glad you get the bit with Morrid to equip Tinhank, so he can have his gloves on.

Because this boss happens really fast. By the way, Kukri has nothing but a Rod equipped.

Like the Plant Brain, the plan of action is Fire Swords.

Papito can't cast a thing without #2 countering rather painfully, so he and Kukri are on support.

Most of #2's attacks fall under barely surviable.

Except the Fira. I... left the Silk Shirt on Gitan.

Aaaaand teleport finishes Tinhank off. We're in deep poo poo.

A small part of the level 1 run is remembering tricks. The true test is the ability to respond to the deepest poo poo. It looked like an impending game over, but reviving Gitan meant I could get Tinhank upright before #2's next round. Without a specific trigger he hits one person, so I could have both Tinhank and Kukri around to revive and Gitan can shank him.

If he keeps me on the back foot then I never win because I'm never moving forward. The gap between just-revived and full health is barely any here, compared to having more people standing, so I just revive until I have both thing-doers and a turn.

Specifically, Gitan shanks him again and he falls over.

Oh yeah Papito is mostly useless. He's revived at the end to get a little AP for some reason.

I need to restock these things after that. I also need 1000 gil sitting around.

Transition shot.

Each Black Waltz has a different specialty element, kind of. #1 has his blizzard, #2 uses Fira on his own, and #3 will use Thundara on the entire party at a specific point in the fight.

This is a damage race. One we'll win.

Even Gitan has to go into attacking to get this fight to go right.

After a point, he'll flutter up. This makes Gitan not work but Papito and Tinhank are using abilities.

Papito just doublecasts Fire both rounds he has Trance. It's enough.

He used his first action to flutter, and his next is a multi-target Thundara.

16 attack, -7 from hats, halved by Gitan and Papito's shirts and Tinhank just has a beautiful massive 120 health pool.

Another Fire Sword ends the fight.

He doesn't give rewards like #1 or #2, so I had to have my 1k without this.

That's it for pre-Lindblum gameplay. Next time, contests are a farce before the power of technicality.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Midgard might be actually bigger but Lindblum feels bigger to me. The subtle work that goes into reinforcing it's size is incredible.

You have the Aircabs which allow you quick access to where you need to go which emphasize how large Lindblum is to need such a service,
there's tons of houses/buildings in most of the backgrounds that mirror many cityscape pictures,
and where you can walk/get to is decently big enough to help you fill in the details of everywhere you can't get to.

It helps that it's memorable as all heck. I can't remember half of Midgard thanks to that half being the nebulous slum section with filler travel-through rooms in it to bulk it up. Lindblum doesn't have those (though it does have 'filler' rooms that exist to be places unto themselves.)

The Grand Castle also has my favorite track playing in it. Lindblum is great.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

It helps that it's memorable as all heck. I can't remember half of Midgard thanks to that half being the nebulous slum section with filler travel-through rooms in it to bulk it up. Lindblum doesn't have those (though it does have 'filler' rooms that exist to be places unto themselves.)

I'm the opposite. I remember Midgar really well, but not Lindblum.

But that's probably due to my only ever having played this game once, around 2001 or 2002. I could never beat the game on my own. I had to go download a save file that was made at the very last save point, copy it to my card via DexDrive, and play from there. The farthest I made it was the save point before that one, so I came close.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Lindblum really does have a huge number of screens. You don't realize how big it is at first either, which I suppose is an achievement in and of itself.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 3, 2015

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Putting together my first trivia/analysis post. It'll be up shortly.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 3, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Could you not spoil things at least?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

What did I spoil? Discussing the themes of each character's role? This was info available on the box of the game.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 3, 2015

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Mistaken post. Please ignore.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm loving this level 1 run, but I can tell we're just scratching the surface. We haven't really gotten to the "Holy poo poo, how is that even possible?" yet. Which is equally intriguing since that shows how far you can get in the game at level 1 without having to do much.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
IIRC, the first real hurdle a level 1 run faces is Gizamaluke's Grotto.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

The German translators apparently thought the same: Here, Lindblum is the Großherzogtum Lindblum (Granddukedom of Lindblum) and Cid is a straight up Großherzog (Grandduke) reigning over Lindblum like an absolutist monarch.

It's actually that in Japanese too, I'm not really sure why the English translators went with Regent. Regent is probably (slightly) more familiar to people than grand duke, at least.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

It's actually that in Japanese too, I'm not really sure why the English translators went with Regent. Regent is probably (slightly) more familiar to people than grand duke, at least.

In Germany, Grand Duke is far better known than Regent, which is probably the reason for the change back. (Or the translators started from the Japanese script and translated normally, without ever knowing about English shenannigans.)

Interesting fact: Oglops are "Juckzirpen" in the German version. It's a wordplay on the German slang for locust or cicada-like insects, coupled with the word for "itchy": Oglops are itchy locusts, essentially. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Libluini posted:

Interesting fact: Oglops are "Juckzirpen" in the German version. It's a wordplay on the German slang for locust or cicada-like insects, coupled with the word for "itchy": Oglops are itchy locusts, essentially. :v:

In Japan, they're "burimushi" (ブリ虫). I'm not sure what the 'buri' is (it sounds like some sort of Japanese onomatopoeia, honestly) but 'mushi' is literally insect, so it really sounds like the German version was a more direct translation.

I'm not even sure what the word oglop's origins are. I'm vaguely assuming that 'glop' is based off of the 'gwok' noises Cid is making, but past that... :shrug:

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
I remember Minister Artania

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

KataraniSword posted:

I'm not even sure what the word oglop's origins are. I'm vaguely assuming that 'glop' is based off of the 'gwok' noises Cid is making, but past that... :shrug:

"Glop" is an English word that has fallen out of the vernacular that means an unpleasant mass of something mushy - a cheap diner meal might be, for example, described as oily chicken with a glop of mashed potatoes. I wonder if the translator was inspired by the sound of the Japanese name instead of the meaning.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Let's try this again.

Hey everybody, this will be the first of a series of posts where I :spergin: out about this amazing game. Since it owes so much to Shakespeare, we'll be starting the series off with a look at our dramatis personae. This will be a look at the characters as they start the game. Later posts will discuss their character arcs as they emerge. (P.S. I apologize for not having the artistic skill to create a cool banner; I also couldn't figure out how to upscale the size of things like "Dramatis Personae").

So, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen:

Dramatis Personae

Role: Physical attacker, stealing, some debuffing (with Soul Blade/Annoy)
Skillset: Steal, Skill (Yes, Zidane's personal command is called Skill; it has various utility abilities like Flee to escape battle or Detect to scan enemy steal-ables)
Trance: Dyne Commands

Zidane's Starting Stats:

HP: 105
MP: 36
Speed: 23
Strength: 21
Magic: 18
Spirit: 23

"A womanizing thief seeking fulfillment and adventure."

Our roguish protagonist, Zidane is a member of the Tantalus Theater Troupe and more or less the adopted son of the troupe's leader, Baku. Zidane is an unabashed skirtchaser and in the early game something of a dick, if a funny one. Zidane unquestionably falls into the realm of a Guile Hero and in a game heavily drawing from Shakespeare, is the character that most draws attention to the presence of Shakespearean themes and tropes. Zidane begins the game on a mission to kidnap Princess Garnet, only to have his heart stolen instead.

Mechanically, Zidane has a slight emphasis on speed and no real weaknesses. His skillset is versatile but situational (except for Flee, which is always useful) and tends to focus on aspects of combat that other character's don't like running away and applying status effects. In short, he's a rogue character.

Character Trivia: An arguably more accurate translation of Zidane's name is "Gitan", French for "gypsy".

Role: Magical attacker
Skillset: Black Magic, Focus (raises magic power for the battle)
Trance: Double Black

Vivi's Starting Stats:

HP: 60
MP: 48
Speed: 16
Strength: 12
Magic: 24
Spirit: 19

"A young black mage struggling to understand the meaning of existence."

The deuteragonist of the game, Vivi is a thoughtful, shy, inquisitive young black mage who, like Zidane, doesn't know where he comes from or who he is supposed to become. Where Zidane projects his anxiety outward with his attention-seeking, flashy behavior, Vivi directs his emotions inward and is fairly self-contained in the early parts of the game. Vivi also serves as a counterpoint to Zidane's forward-looking journey of self-discovery by focusing more on his mysterious past and origin. Vivi begins the game in the humblest way possible: he wants to see Tantalus's performance of I Want to Be Your Canary.

Mechanically, Vivi's role should be clear to anyone who has ever played a Final Fantasy game. Cast the spells that make the people fall down. Rinse. Repeat. Vivi is the character most capable of taking advantage of elemental weaknesses, and the only party member able to inflict non-elemental magical damage with any kind of ease or regularity.

Character Trivia: Vivi is one of, if not the, youngest playable Final Fantasy characters, and one of the youngest playable characters is video games generally.

Role: Physical Attacker, secondary Elemental Attacker, Tank
Skillset: Sword Arts (including Break skills), Sword Magic (only usable with Vivi in the party; adds elemental damage to Steiner's attacks)
Trance: Chivalry (doesn't actually have a name in the game; when under effect of Trance, Steiner's physical damage triples)

Steiner's Starting Stats:

HP: 120
MP: 24
Speed: 18
Strength: 24
Magic: 12
Spirit: 21

"A devoted knight questioning the bounds of his duty."

Orphaned at the close of the Alexandria-Lindblum-Burmecia War, Adelbert "Rusty" Steiner threw himself into his quest to become a knight. He succeeded, and at the start of the game is the inflexible, humorless captain of the Knights of Pluto, a privilege which he won after defeating Beatrix in a duel through sheer luck. As one of the few men in the overwhelmingly female Alexandrian military, Steiner handles the discomfort of his role and status by following his orders to the letter. He and Beatrix have a tense relationship and are often forced to work together seeing to the protection of the princess. He opens the game in pursuit of the blackguards who have kidnapped Garnet.

Mechanically, Steiner is as straightforward as it gets: hit things with your sword and tank hits for squishier party members. Because of the wonky way his Break skills work, unlike Auron from FFX, for example, most of the time you're better off just attacking. With Vivi in the party, Steiner gains access to Sword Magic, which imbues his attacks with various elemental buffs.

Character Trivia: In the Japanese version, Steiner speaks with a very archaic dialect. Also, at 33, Steiner is one of the few playable Final Fantasy characters older than 30 but younger than 50.

Role: Healing, Needing Rescue
Skillset: White Magic

Dagger's Starting Stats:

HP: 70
MP: 46
Speed: 21
Strength: 14
Magic: 23
Spirit: 17

"A princess concerned for her kingdom's welfare."

Garnet Til Alexandros XVII, or Dagger, is the female protagonist of the game and Alexandria's naive, theater- and book-loving princess. Garnet starts in the game in the role of Peach but quickly demonstrates an iron will and a firm stance against Zidane's bullshit. Dagger is characterized by an almost total lack of experience with the outside world and the conviction that royalty has a duty to do well by their people, a rarity in Final Fantasy games.

Mechanically, Dagger is your classic white mage in the early game. Low HP and above-average MP mean she is firmly a heal-bot in your early fights, but gradually gains better abilities to buff up your party.

Character Trivia: Her name, Garnet, matches her birth month of January.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 4, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Vivi is pretty young but if I remember correctly Palom and Porom from FF4 are both 5 years old. Wonder if anybody else here remembers someone even younger?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
If you step outside of Final Fantasy, there're a few characters in Chrono Cross who are literally born/hatched/created in the same cutscene where they join the party.

Also, Relm is, like, six, isn't she? Older than the Mysidia Twins, but still younger than Vivi.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are a few plot-related details about it but Vivi is essentially the youngest in any FF.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 4, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

uh

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Edward_Tohr posted:

If you step outside of Final Fantasy, there're a few characters in Chrono Cross who are literally born/hatched/created in the same cutscene where they join the party.

Also, Relm is, like, six, isn't she? Older than the Mysidia Twins, but still younger than Vivi.

Palom and Porom are 5, Rydia is 7, Vivi is 9, Relm is 10, Mog is 11, Gau is 13, and Krile, Luneth, Arc, Refia and Ingus are all 14.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

I'd also mention Grunt from Mass Effect 2 who is literally about a week old but he was full-grown in a tank like a dumb goldfish of insta-awesome :v: as for other outside-FF characters in JRPGs we have Justin and Sue from Grandia who are both 12 and 7 respectively (I think), Ryu's Breath of Fire III incarnation who at the start of the game was most definitely a kid around 6 or 8, and also um...no that's all I could think of. I did not know that Steiner had been orphaned by the war between the three kingdoms.

Good thing he didn't turn into Lu Bu.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 3, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

(Or the translators started from the Japanese script and translated normally, without ever knowing about English shenannigans.)

I believe that, for FF9 at least, all the european translations used the japanese script instead of the english one.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TravelLog posted:

Mechanically, Vivi's role should be clear to anyone who has ever played a Final Fantasy game. Cast the spells that make the people fall down.

Dammit now you got me wanting to read through 8-Bit Theatre again.

Speaking of FF1 though, it's nice how this early party sticks to the classic FF1 setup of Fighter, Not-Fighter (Thief or Black Belt, maybe a Red Mage), White Mage, Black Mage.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Lol thanks. Fixed.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Petiso posted:

I believe that, for FF9 at least, all the european translations used the japanese script instead of the english one.
Which is probably the best idea in order to get the best translation from the original source rather than work on the translation of a translation...which was what Final Fantasy VII's European teams did by just working from the English translation...which was not translated explicitly well either so cue hilarious confusing moments like the Spanish translation of FF7 calling Aeris both a "he" AND a "she" in the same scene.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

FinalGamer posted:

cue hilarious confusing moments like the Spanish translation of FF7 calling Aeris both a "he" AND a "she" in the same scene.

Considering the English translation implies that she was chilling out in a flower patch in the slums when a church suddenly fell on top of her.... :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Polsy posted:

I want to say that we're more familiar with Duke/Grand Duke than Regent, but that might just be me, because I read a lot of fantasy...

Gnoman posted:

"Glop" is an English word that has fallen out of the vernacular that means an unpleasant mass of something mushy - a cheap diner meal might be, for example, described as oily chicken with a glop of mashed potatoes. I wonder if the translator was inspired by the sound of the Japanese name instead of the meaning.

It's also a form of onomatopoeia. "When the lunch ladyman put the mashed a-taters on muh tray, they went 'GLOP!'" :v:

TravelLog posted:

Since it owes so much to Shakespeare

Ugh. :suicide: gently caress Shakespeare.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I've heard about Steiner's duel with Beatrix before, but I didn't know he won through dumb luck. That's kind of disappointing to me, I always imaged Steiner had some wicked combat skills despite acting like such a buffoon, and that was how he initially proved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There's skill, and then there's skill versus skill, experience, superior equipment and mental conditioning.

Since he's actually sired now and he still has bargain basement equipment he obviously had less than that during the duel.

• Locked thread