Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I mostly want to know EXACTLY how big the thing is

Here's the best picture I've seen of it and the mon cal next to a victory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
So maybe 1.5 victories long?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Reynold posted:

Went 2-1 in the Armada tournament at Gencon today. Sitting at 19 points going into the last two matches tomorrow. Lots of double assault frigate builds present, and while I did see some unsportsmanlike conduct, most everybody was pretty chill. Hoping I can pull down another two wins tomorrow! I'm running:

+++ SWA Rebel Experimental 300pts (297pts) +++

++ Rebel Alliance (Standard) (297pts) ++

+ Assault Frigate MkII (198pts) +

Assault Frigate Mark IIB (83pts) [Advanced Projectors (6pts), XX-9 Turbolasers (5pts)]

Assault Frigate Mark IIB (115pts) [XX-9 Turbolasers (5pts), •Adar Tallon (10pts), •Gallant Haven (8pts), •General Dodonna (20pts)]

+ Squadrons (99pts) +

B-Wing Squadron (14pts)

Y-Wing Squadron (10pts)

•"Dutch" Vander (16pts)

•Keyan Farlander (20pts)

•Luke Skywalker (20pts)

•Wedge Antilles (19pts)

+ Objectives +

Assault Objective [Precision Strike]

Defense Objective [Fleet Ambush]

Navigation Objective [Superior Positions]

In hindsight, dropping the XX-9's (which have thus far triggered only once) and advanced projectors (useful, but limited), then downgrading the generic B-wing (so slow!) to a Y-wing would allow me to put Enhanced Armament on both assault frigates, which I think would seriously increase my firepower over six rounds. Still, I'm happy with my performance thus far, and deserved the loss in my last match for screwing up my command dials for turn 4.

What kind of imperial lists did you see?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Weissritter posted:

What kind of imperial lists did you see?

The only one I faced so far was double vic2s with a gladiator (went 200-0 for the win), relying on Motti and leading shots, but I saw several TIE bomber heavy builds with Rhymer, and a single double gladiator with vic1.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/1/return-to-hoth/

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is that HK-47.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Statement: It's definitely a HK droid, but from this angle I can't tell if it's HK-47, or a 50 or 51. You do get 4 of them though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Never though i'd see a Star Wars game where you can play as the drat Medical Droid that gives Luke his robot hand. ImpAss doesn't really seem like the kind of game that really needs a healer type either. Considering you have pretty good amount of healing whenever you rest.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Played a friendly Armada game last night with a squadronless Imperial fleet. 1x VSD (admiral motti), 3xgladiators, (insidious, demolisher, expanded launchers).
We won by quite a bit. Once we pinned down, rammed and destroyed their Assault Frigate with the VSD and a Gladiator, their Neb B was easy to take out with 2x Gladiators (ramming again). Once that was done they had Luke and a couple of B-wings which were easy to outrun without any of their ships around to give squadron commands but not before they could finish off the VSD after concentrating on it all game. After that nothing else was in range and their CR90 was doing loops just out of range at the end.

There are enough points to do a 2xVSD 2xgalaxy build, and we might try that too, since the hull points you have are just stupendous you can afford to be a bit reckless and slowly take out their ability to deal damage before they've even scraped the surface of your 10HP VSDs and 6HP Glads (with Motti). Crazy stuff.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Gencon Armada tournament day 2 wasn't as kind to me. First, I took a narrow victory over some guy who took forever ALL game and forced us to go to time. Admittedly, he played decently, being the only person in the tournament who was able to take out a single one of my fighter squadrons. and I predicted my turn 4 dials poorly, and if we had gone to turn 6, he would've taken the match by about 80 points. He realized this with 5 minutes left on the clock, three ship activations left to go, plus my six squadrons, and tried to rush me through the rest of the turn. So the judges called time before the next round had begun, and he starts accusing me of stalling, and asks the judges to do something about it. They were watching the whole time, since we were at the front tables, disagreed with him, and declined his request. No dice, jerk. I hope you placed poorly.

My second and final match of the day saw me face off against a six CR90 list, with Mon Mothma as admiral. I behaved foolishly in the face of this swarm, and only managed to take out a single one of his ships losing an assault frigate in the last round of the game. A combination of having a ridiculously low initiative bid, fast ship related objectives, and lots of concentrate fire dials and ramming my ships proved quite effective. This was my only serious defeat, at 8-2. The guy was really friendly however, and I was surprised to hear that I was responsible for one of only two corvettes lost from his fleet the entire tournament. Next time, I'm gonna turtle up with my bombers against that sort of thing. He told me that a friend he came with brought virtually the same list. Spamming the tournament with corvette spam. Hilarious.

Overall, I placed 18th. I thought I had done much better than that, but apparently I was caught up in the bottom of the mid 20s MoV group, with the top 3 or so having just obliterated everyone they played against.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 2, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
So corvette hordes aren't a terrible yet awesome idea then? Cool. :)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Ugleb posted:

So corvette hordes aren't a terrible yet awesome idea then? Cool. :)

It's definitely viable, as their performance in the tournament proved, but I think it's got a good deal to do with how nobody really knew how to handle them. I think that if I'd turtled up, taken Dangerous Territory for his objective, stuck my three in a corner, and just waddled over to them and tucked my bombers in close, the outcome would have been quite different. Mon Mothma helps to keep your CR90s from getting one shotted, but they still can't handle much before they go down.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My initial reaction there was "how the gently caress do I deal with that" but I think the turtling with double victories and a small tie/bomber group would be pretty good, just try and reach out an touch one a turn with all the reds. Are corvettes limited to mainly blues? I forget - but trying to snipe out one a turn an then points deny might work.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FFG revealed the wave 7 stuff for X-Wing at Gencon, and it heavily featured ships from Star Wars Rebels, so I'm guessing we're gonna see some Armada entries from that in wave 3 or 4 - the Pelta command frigate (medium), Gozanti class cruiser (small), Ghost as part of a second Rogues and Villains squadron pack

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 2, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

FFG revealed the wave 7 stuff for X-Wing at Gencon, and it heavily featured ships from Star Wars Rebels, so I'm guessing we're gonna see some Armada entries from that in wave 3 or 4 - the Pelta command frigate (medium), Gozanti class cruiser (small), Ghost as part of a second Rogues and Villains squadron pack

Small point of correction, that was Wave 8 that got revealed.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Never though i'd see a Star Wars game where you can play as the drat Medical Droid that gives Luke his robot hand. ImpAss doesn't really seem like the kind of game that really needs a healer type either. Considering you have pretty good amount of healing whenever you rest.

He's really interesting to me. I've been playing the Imperials for most of the time, but having a dude heal others helps their efficiency, and he focuses when he doesn't attack, which means he's getting an edge to shoot when he's busy doing what he should be doing. General Beardo is pretty handy, too, but don't dismiss the importance support characters in games like these.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Reynold posted:

Gencon Armada tournament day 2 wasn't as kind to me. First, I took a narrow victory over some guy who took forever ALL game and forced us to go to time. Admittedly, he played decently, being the only person in the tournament who was able to take out a single one of my fighter squadrons. and I predicted my turn 4 dials poorly, and if we had gone to turn 6, he would've taken the match by about 80 points. He realized this with 5 minutes left on the clock, three ship activations left to go, plus my six squadrons, and tried to rush me through the rest of the turn. So the judges called time before the next round had begun, and he starts accusing me of stalling, and asks the judges to do something about it. They were watching the whole time, since we were at the front tables, disagreed with him, and declined his request. No dice, jerk. I hope you placed poorly.

My second and final match of the day saw me face off against a six CR90 list, with Mon Mothma as admiral. I behaved foolishly in the face of this swarm, and only managed to take out a single one of his ships losing an assault frigate in the last round of the game. A combination of having a ridiculously low initiative bid, fast ship related objectives, and lots of concentrate fire dials and ramming my ships proved quite effective. This was my only serious defeat, at 8-2. The guy was really friendly however, and I was surprised to hear that I was responsible for one of only two corvettes lost from his fleet the entire tournament. Next time, I'm gonna turtle up with my bombers against that sort of thing. He told me that a friend he came with brought virtually the same list. Spamming the tournament with corvette spam. Hilarious.

Overall, I placed 18th. I thought I had done much better than that, but apparently I was caught up in the bottom of the mid 20s MoV group, with the top 3 or so having just obliterated everyone they played against.

I played my first round against the other guy playing the corvette swarm. Like he said, similar list, but your guy was running red die corvettes and my guy was running all blue die. I very narrowly took out two of his vettes before getting tabled. For my second game I got paired with the guy you fought against and almost lost my mind at the prospect of another swarm battle. At the last moment they redid pairings and I got matched with someone else. Both dudes were super friendly.

The second battle I did end up playing was not super great either. He started his entire force moving at speed 3 moving away from me. We spent there turns with me chasing him and nothing happening. Game was almost a tie but I forgot about all my salvation + x19 special abilities at a crucial turn and a assfrig that should have gone down didn't refilling in a 17 point loss for my fleet. The dude playing this game was also super chill, but the game was just really boring and long due to his setup. I would have rather fought the other swarm guy. I dropped from the tournament after that to go do some rpging.

I ran into both the swarm guys later. Blue die vette swarm came in 8th overall. Red die swarm missed the first game and took a full loss for it so I don't think he could have placed very far.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
With Wave 8 of X-Wing being all about Star Wars: Rebels I wonder if we're going to see a Star Wars: Rebels set for Imperial Assault down the line after the Hoth set.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Kai Tave posted:

With Wave 8 of X-Wing being all about Star Wars: Rebels I wonder if we're going to see a Star Wars: Rebels set for Imperial Assault down the line after the Hoth set.

Oooh, some Lothal maps would be neat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Feeple posted:

Oooh, some Lothal maps would be neat.

Also a Sabine Wren hero :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kai Tave posted:

Also a Sabine Wren hero :getin:

Or the most dangerous member of the cast, C1-10P.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna be real disappointed if Chopper doesn't wind up as an Astromech card in X-Wing is all I'm saying.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I'm gonna be real disappointed if Chopper doesn't wind up as an Astromech card in X-Wing is all I'm saying.
The Ghost has Chopper as a pilot option and crew cards for him and all the other members of the Rebels cast. Doesn't prevent him from getting an astromech version in the future though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

sarmhan posted:

The Ghost has Chopper as a pilot option and crew cards for him and all the other members of the Rebels cast. Doesn't prevent him from getting an astromech version in the future though.

Well I mean R2-D2 has both an Astromech and Crew card, so there's precedent. Dangit, I just wanna shove him in a Y-Wing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I'll be disappointed if his ability isn't to pick random actions and performing them instead of what the player ordered.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Does anyone on here have a source for the top lists on the Nationals for Armada. I know #1 and #2, but I was hoping to see top 8 or so.

Needless to say, everyone is FREAKING OUT over on the FFG forums that the top list had no squadrons, and the sky is falling. Squadrons are worthless and will never be used, etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Val Helmethead posted:

Does anyone on here have a source for the top lists on the Nationals for Armada. I know #1 and #2, but I was hoping to see top 8 or so.

Needless to say, everyone is FREAKING OUT over on the FFG forums that the top list had no squadrons, and the sky is falling. Squadrons are worthless and will never be used, etc.

Squadrons aren't very good, to be quite honest. This is based on my experience. There may be some trick that I haven't discovered, but it costs a ton to give them good activations and it just ends up not being worth the points overall.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Panzeh posted:

Squadrons aren't very good, to be quite honest. This is based on my experience. There may be some trick that I haven't discovered, but it costs a ton to give them good activations and it just ends up not being worth the points overall.

This was the consensus my BFF and I came to and one of the main reasons we don't play armada any more.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Panzeh posted:

I am of the firm opinion that squadrons are an upgrade to your ships, and should be treated as such. There are ways to build a perfectly viable ship with squadron support, but making squadrons the focal point of your build (i.e. with Carrier type builds) is asking for trouble.

Take the #2 build for example - it had two offensive focused AFIIs, but also had some A-Wings to tie up enemy fighters (if it ran into some) which are perfectly good craft for engaging ships as well. Rhymer Balls are another good example - that is what I am most surprised we haven't heard of in the context of Nationals, since you really don't need squadron activation to use it effectively, as the squadron blob becomes a makeshift CR90B - parks itself somewhere the opponent has to go through and fires every turn.

I think the issue of Squadrons is not that they aren't usable, but that they aren't AMAZING the way FFG built them up to be - namely "You can't spend more than 1/3 of your points on them", because there is no good reason why you'd want to do that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Val Helmethead posted:

I am of the firm opinion that squadrons are an upgrade to your ships, and should be treated as such. There are ways to build a perfectly viable ship with squadron support, but making squadrons the focal point of your build (i.e. with Carrier type builds) is asking for trouble.

Take the #2 build for example - it had two offensive focused AFIIs, but also had some A-Wings to tie up enemy fighters (if it ran into some) which are perfectly good craft for engaging ships as well. Rhymer Balls are another good example - that is what I am most surprised we haven't heard of in the context of Nationals, since you really don't need squadron activation to use it effectively, as the squadron blob becomes a makeshift CR90B - parks itself somewhere the opponent has to go through and fires every turn.

I think the issue of Squadrons is not that they aren't usable, but that they aren't AMAZING the way FFG built them up to be - namely "You can't spend more than 1/3 of your points on them", because there is no good reason why you'd want to do that.

The top builds in that tournament with squads used a desultory A-wing presence(Tycho and 2 A-wings), and honestly A-wings are the only rebel squad that's even remotely worth taking.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I faced no squadrons except a-wings the whole tournament, and I wiped them every time with mine. It was like a free 50 something points each game. I definitely had the most success with my rebel bomber-heavy build when moving slow and forcing the enemy to engage my fleet on my own terms. I agree that squadrons are a sort of upgrade to your ships, since as everyone has seen, a couple squadrons just left hanging out of range on turn 4 because they moved poorly becomes worthless for the rest of the game. However, if you can afford to move slowly and keep them close, and you have a squadron activation ready at the right time, they can be absolutely devastating.

Also, I can't imagine that Home One or the Imperial Star Destroyer are going to be moving all that fast, making it easier to keep your squadrons in screening/command range. Think about landing in long range of Home One to take your shots, and it's four b-wing escorts maneuvering into your path for the next round.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I use squadrons because the image of a swarm of fighters nipping at the heels of a huge capital ship is cool as all hell and totally awesome. When my friend's x and y wings burst through a tie screen to put a couple of criticals onto my victory, I curse because I hosed that up but I also think this is cool as poo poo. When my tie swarm mashes skywalker as he's hiding in an asteroid field then go on to do nothing to a capital ship at all, that's also totally awesome. That's enough for me to spend 50 points on them.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Reynold posted:

I faced no squadrons except a-wings the whole tournament, and I wiped them every time with mine. It was like a free 50 something points each game. I definitely had the most success with my rebel bomber-heavy build when moving slow and forcing the enemy to engage my fleet on my own terms. I agree that squadrons are a sort of upgrade to your ships, since as everyone has seen, a couple squadrons just left hanging out of range on turn 4 because they moved poorly becomes worthless for the rest of the game. However, if you can afford to move slowly and keep them close, and you have a squadron activation ready at the right time, they can be absolutely devastating.

Also, I can't imagine that Home One or the Imperial Star Destroyer are going to be moving all that fast, making it easier to keep your squadrons in screening/command range. Think about landing in long range of Home One to take your shots, and it's four b-wing escorts maneuvering into your path for the next round.

The ISD I think was speed 3 in the images we've seen. So faster than a Vic at least. But the base is going to be a lot larger too.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

The Gate posted:

The ISD I think was speed 3 in the images we've seen. So faster than a Vic at least. But the base is going to be a lot larger too.

With X-wing, base size matters for speed. A Large-base ship moving at speed 1 goes as far forward as a Small-base ship moving at speed 2. It kinda gives large ships a speed boost and makes it even harder for them to troll along and "fly casual". Armada does do that because it measures from the front of the ship at start to the front of the ship at the end. The base size doesn't make it faster or slower.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think his point with the larger base was that it's a lot more surface area for squadrons to attack and therefore will (theoretically) be harder to screen from bombers. Not the speed.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I think his point with the larger base was that it's a lot more surface area for squadrons to attack and therefore will (theoretically) be harder to screen from bombers. Not the speed.

That's a thing, yeah. I'm usually very aggressive with my squadrons, so I don't try to screen directly. My philosophy is more towards "you never have to screen from a cloud of dust bunnies, so blow your enemy's squadrons to dust bunnies".

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chomp8645 posted:

Yup. Speed three will probably not move the base entirely out of range of squadrons at the nose when it starts the move. Or at least it will be close. Depends on how much the turns swing the rear end end around I suppose.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

The Gate posted:

Yup. Speed three will probably not move the base entirely out of range of squadrons at the nose when it starts the move. Or at least it will be close. Depends on how much the turns swing the rear end end around I suppose.

Dem Imperial-class Star Destroyers got a big ol' rear end on 'em.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cobbsprite posted:

Dem Imperial-class Star Destroyers got a big ol' rear end on 'em.

Perfect for putting your torpedoes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Chomp8645 posted:

Perfect for putting your torpedoes in.

A dice roll is not consent.