Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Marjane Satrapi is tired of God's poo poo:

(from Persepolis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a kitten posted:

Did the Ultimate one ever get finished? It went on some huge hiatus and during that time I completely forgot about it.

Yeah, several years later. It's pretty good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another badass Batwoman moment (not sure which issue):

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I'm not really familiar with the character, is there a reason why her skin is Joker white?

Her whole aesthetic is not just bat, but VAMPIRE bat when in costume.

Alhazred posted:

She's a goth.

Also this, but not really. She's got a kind of rock-chick look more than anything.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Parahexavoctal posted:

stuff about the Spectre

Here it is from The Spectre v3 #7 by John Ostrander. She's just executed a CEO because his business pollutes within federal law but still destructively, killing people and the Earth. She dunked him into a vat of toxic waste. Prior to that she castrated a pimp and instructed his hos to let him bleed to death as an example.

What gives Corrigan extra badass points is that he doesn't take the chance he has at moving on. People he cares about need protection and somebody's got to do it. Only he will do it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Also he's pretty sure he can't really help.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
edit: Eh, whatever.

I really enjoyed Punisher MAX until Barracuda or whatever. That guy was awful.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 2, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Barracuda was loving awesome, you just have to realize that arc was actually about corporate malfeasance, not Barracuda. I didn't like the second time he showeed up in Punisher MAX though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ManiacClown posted:

What gives Corrigan extra badass points is that he doesn't take the chance he has at moving on. People he cares about need protection and somebody's got to do it. Only he will do it.

Ostrander did something similar with GrimJack; GrimJack was killed, and somehow got into Heaven, where he reunited with Maethe and Rhiann, was told that it was a near thing that he got in at all, but he walked out on Heaven so he could save his friend BlackJack. He eventually did, but this began his cycle of eternal reincarnation, because neither Heaven or Hell would let him in.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ManiacClown posted:

Except didn't he just get done saying that the Spectre doesn't give a gently caress about anything but murdering people who crossed some arbitrary line? How's he going to protect his loved ones with that?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

FredMSloniker posted:

Except didn't he just get done saying that the Spectre doesn't give a gently caress about anything but murdering people who crossed some arbitrary line? How's he going to protect his loved ones with that?

By knowing that it could have gone to someone worse...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Barracuda was great. He was another force of nature and then he clashed with frank

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Barracuda was loving awesome, you just have to realize that arc was actually about corporate malfeasance, not Barracuda. I didn't like the second time he showeed up in Punisher MAX though.

It also have Frank telling a rape victim to man up. The story was so bad that even Frank was reluctant to be a part of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The best Baraccuda story is Punisher vs Eminem.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I liked it when Frank chopped off Barracuda's arms.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Because he's describing the Sepctre as an entity. With Corrigan in the blend, he can temper the Spectre and introduce, however minuscule, some manner of mercy to the Spectre's actions. My understanding is the host is the driving personality, with the Spectre trying to subvert them to it's "primary mission". If the host is aware and of strong enough will, they may be able to assert their own agenda in some way or form.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Loki Agent of Asgard #15: Future Loki has decided "gently caress it", he's gonna burn it all down at the end of the multiverse, so Asgard's making it's last stand using some... unconventional weaponry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Loki Agent of Asgard #15: Future Loki has decided "gently caress it", he's gonna burn it all down at the end of the multiverse, so Asgard's making it's last stand using some... unconventional weaponry.

God drat. :dance:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

TwoPair posted:

Loki Agent of Asgard has been my favorite comic in print for a good while.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

flosofl posted:

Because he's describing the Sepctre as an entity. With Corrigan in the blend, he can temper the Spectre and introduce, however minuscule, some manner of mercy to the Spectre's actions. My understanding is the host is the driving personality, with the Spectre trying to subvert them to its "primary mission". If the host is aware and of strong enough will, they may be able to assert their own agenda in some way or form.

Incidentally, I should point out that the mission to protect Jim Corrigan's loved ones ... failed.

Jim's in love with Amy Beitermann. She gets a prophesy that she will soon be murdered by a serial killer.

Jim decides "gently caress THAT" and begins hunting the killer.

Unfortunately, this draws him into battle with Azmodus, and while he's busy with that, someone knocks on the door of Amy's apartment.

As Amy's opening it, Madame Xanadu sends her a telepathic message - don't open the door! It's the Reaver! RUN!

And Amy decides, maybe this bastard IS going to kill me, but that doesn't mean I have to make it easy for him.

And instead of running for the fire escape... she runs to the kitchen and grabs a knife. She has a knife fight with the serial killer who she knows is going to defeat and murder her.

THAT... is badass.

now, unfortunately, Amy Beitermann wasn't trained in knife fighting. She was a social worker. And she didn't have superpowers: in the words of the OHOTMU, she had the strength of a normal human female of her age and physical condition.

She slices him up a bit, to slow him down, but he's outfighting her. She flees. He chases. She runs into an alley, then realizes that it's the alley from the prophesy: this is where she's going to be hacked to death.

And as Madame Xanadu casts spells in a desperate attempt to distract Azmodus so the Spectre can get the hell out of the fight and come protect Amy... the Reaver catches up with Amy and begins stabbing and slicing.

Seconds later, the Spectre arrives. But it's too late, Amy's sustained fatal injuries. The Reaver sees this glowing green guy and starts to back off... the Spectre becomes Corrigan, who kneels by Amy... she says "I'm dying... please, stay with me so I'm not alone at the end?"

and then the Reaver runs out of the alley

and Corrigan automatically transforms back into the Spectre and chases after the Reaver.

(Madame Xanadu teleports in and holds Amy's hand until the ambulance shows up, but Amy dies before she gets to the hospital.)

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 2, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Turning around to knife fight the crazy killer who is supposedly fated to kill you instead of immediately escaping, especially when you're a social worker with no fighting ability, seems more dumb as gently caress than badass but I guess the line blurs sometimes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If the prophecy was specific enough to say that I was going to die in an alley, then I would stay in my loving apartment come hell or highwater.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

If the prophecy was specific enough to say that I was going to die in an alley, then I would stay in my loving apartment come hell or highwater.

I like the way you think, but the real solution here is to kill yourself before you could ever end up in an alley.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chinaman7000 posted:

I like the way you think, but the real solution here is to kill yourself before you could ever end up in an alley.

And that paradox would elevate you to Godhood.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

That just means you meet Paul Newman, get seduced by his blue, blue eyes and die anyway.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Amy considered that, but the Spectre said "people who kill themselves go to Hell. Here, let's go on a brief visit to Hell so you can see that it's not just an idle threat."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Turning around to knife fight the crazy killer who is supposedly fated to kill you instead of immediately escaping, especially when you're a social worker with no fighting ability, seems more dumb as gently caress than badass but I guess the line blurs sometimes.

Being badass doesn't really mean you make smart choices.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sandman dealt with murderers a lot better than Punisher could ever hope to deal with them. And also in a more badass way:

(Sandman: Dolls House).

Basically by removing their twisted fantasies where they are the ubermensch, the heroes of a stupid society, the kings who can take what they want, Morpheus exposed them for what they really are....pathetic little people who hurt others to make themselves feel better. And by exposing that, they can no longer lie to themselves and they can live with the knowledge from now on that they are just terrible people. It is never stated but I always thought that the next stage from this would have the killers feel empathy for the first time in their life.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Lacks empathy/=/murderer, dude.

That is a really cool scene, though. Sandman rocks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Madkal posted:

It is never stated but I always thought that the next stage from this would have the killers feel empathy for the first time in their life.

Whoa whoa whoa, we can't have comics about actually REHABILITATING people.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, we can't have comics about actually REHABILITATING people.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Dream doesn't give a poo poo about rehabilitation or really relate to humanity very well (see what he did with a woman he loved out of wounded pride). He really only cares about the Dreamlands and he was there to reign in the Corinthian. I always got the sense he punished the "Collectors" because he found them offensive. It usually seems his punishments are meted out to those that offended or attempted (or have) harmed him directly or those under his care.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

flosofl posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Dream doesn't give a poo poo about rehabilitation or really relate to humanity very well (see what he did with a woman he loved out of wounded pride). He really only cares about the Dreamlands and he was there to reign in the Corinthian. I always got the sense he punished the "Collectors" because he found them offensive. It usually seems his punishments are meted out to those that offended or attempted (or have) harmed him directly or those under his care.

Yea Dream doesnt really care for the killers one way or another and only deals with them because of their connection with Corinthian but he still deals out punishment that fits the crime. There isnt something spiteful about it. He dislikes the people because he sees Corinthian in them, and he sees Corinthian as his failed experiment.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It probably isn't a mild thing for anyone to have their capacity for self-delusion removed. Even relatively grounded people are going to have a couple of comfortable illusions about themselves.

For most of the serial killers set up in that arc, it's going to wreck them, because a lot of them were high on their own weird legends about themselves. No, you aren't a great hunter in the wild, pursuing prey; you're some idiot with a gun going after unsuspecting targets. It'd mean they can't go into "idea phase," which is ostensibly the start of the serial-killer cycle.

Madkal posted:

Yea Dream doesnt really care for the killers one way or another and only deals with them because of their connection with Corinthian but he still deals out punishment that fits the crime. There isnt something spiteful about it. He dislikes the people because he sees Corinthian in them, and he sees Corinthian as his failed experiment.

I walked away from that TPB with the notion that the Corinthian had spent a fair amount of time outright influencing and inspiring a lot of those killers, particularly given the reaction he causes when he walks into the con.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TwoPair posted:

That is badass.

Odin's speech bubble in the last panel was totally unnecessary though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Infinity War.
Adam Warlock verbally bitchslaps Thanos.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Infinity War.
Adam Warlock verbally bitchslaps Thanos.

"Beings of immense cosmic power just hanging out in someone's living room" is my favourite comic book trope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Omega Men #3

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

Lacks empathy/=/murderer, dude.

True, we can safely assume you haven't murdered anyone yet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair wicked doesn't lack empathy, she is just a sadist who understands its not okay to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Huh. Might have to try reading this now. I distinctly remember reading Omega Men 1 and hating it but this looks good.