Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Howmuch posted:

I really want to put that modpack on my server for my friends that have never really played with mods.
I've only installed modpacks through point-and-click installers at my hosts control panel so I don't really know where to start with setting up a server for BFSR. :(

I'll have to look it up later when I'm in front of my main computer, but I remember setting up the server files was generally easier than setting up the client distribution. It had less steps. The one little killer is that some mods are client-only and crap out if they're included in the server's mods folders. Assuming it's still up-to-date, I should have that list on my main computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Howmuch posted:

I really want to put that modpack on my server for my friends that have never really played with mods.
I've only installed modpacks through point-and-click installers at my hosts control panel so I don't really know where to start with setting up a server for BFSR. :(

Install Forge (there are instructions for that all over), run it and accept the eula etc., copy the modpack files and folders into the server, and delete any client-only mods if there are any (they'll crash on launch). That's it. Setting up a server is pretty easy.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for good progression oriented modpacks? I'm hitting the point in Blightfall where the game is pretty much "plant Ethereal Blooms, wait a while, collect and replant Ethereal Blooms" to get my island base cleaned off, so I'm looking for something new.

I've been playing Paradox Mindfold and it's really great. The map is in an ocean biome so passive mobs won't spawn but there's actually a quest for getting around that (or you can cheat in spawn eggs once you have some grass), also uh, the manual for Essential Craft 3 is pretty crashy. Try to avoid using it.
A tip if you play it: be careful when creating mobs. The Appearifier will try once per tick, and once you've got a liquid stockpile of Paradox feeding it, that can result in a LOT of mobs really fast.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 1, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I've been playing Paradox Mindfold and it's really great. The map is in an ocean biome so passive mobs won't spawn but there's actually a quest for getting around that (or you can cheat in spawn eggs once you have some grass), also uh, the manual for Essential Craft 3 is pretty crashy. Try to avoid using it.
A tip if you play it: be careful when creating mobs. The Appearifier will try once per tick, and once you've got a liquid stockpile of Paradox feeding it, that can result in a LOT of mobs really fast.

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! The timer mechanic looks pretty nifty

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Taffer's got the gist:

Taffer posted:

Install Forge (there are instructions for that all over), run it and accept the eula etc., copy the modpack files and folders into the server, and delete any client-only mods if there are any (they'll crash on launch). That's it. Setting up a server is pretty easy.

This is what I have in my old spreadsheet for mods to apparently take out of the server pack:
Damage Indicator
Mouse Tweaks
JourneyMap Client-side -- but do use JourneyMapServer, which you probably have to go fetch.

I think you are clear with that. Note though that I was running the server for this for a little corporate team-building thing months--and quite a few revisions--back.

The client is using Forge 1408, so you want to use the 1408 server jar.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I really wish that the crash logs were more readable. I could fix this problem, but it's an incomprehensible mass, so instead I get to abandon my 80% done Clouds of Darkness world.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Carados posted:

I really wish that the crash logs were more readable. I could fix this problem, but it's an incomprehensible mass, so instead I get to abandon my 80% done Clouds of Darkness world.

Pastebin the crash report, someone here will help you sort it out.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

mechaet posted:

Pastebin the crash report, someone here will help you sort it out.

http://pastebin.com/2dqwVEbT

The message it gives me is "server closed" before going to main menu for a frame or two then just closing back to launcher.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Carados posted:

The message it gives me is "server closed" before going to main menu for a frame or two then just closing back to launcher.
What version of Applied Energistics 2 is in that modpack? If it's an old one that's the problem

Reading crashlogs for beginners:

pre:
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
        at java.util.TreeMap$PrivateEntryIterator.nextEntry(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.TreeMap$ValueIterator.next(Unknown Source)
        at appeng.util.item.MeanfulIterator.hasNext(MeanfulIterator.java:22)
That's the first appearance of a mod name in the crash log, so it's likely (but not guaranteed) that it's in that mod. So we google that line and end up here which says it's the same issue as this which claims to be fixed somewhere around October of last year. So any newer version of AE2 should fix the issue.

Threep fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Carados posted:

Looks like there's a problem with an export bus with AE. Did you place any recently?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

How do I update Forge for a pack?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Carados posted:

How do I update Forge for a pack?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Moving the pack into MultiMC is the easiest way. Modifying packs in their parent launchers is usually a hassle, and sometimes the changes will be reverted when you launch it. Best to migrate it somewhere where changing it is easier.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

nevermind.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

This one isn't a mod exception, but an out of bounds exception?

http://pastebin.com/tubtqFjE

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Just been trying out the new HQM packs on the FTB server (so you don't have to). Refuge is boring and grindy, with a hint of an interesting idea that it never follows through on. Obscurity is just insanely, brokenly, unfairly difficult. Void World's blurb is so badly written that I couldn't bring myself to try it. Going to go try Hubris now, although I'm predicting a cheap knockoff of Blightfall.

Summary - all poo poo, don't bother. I wonder if Blast Off is in a playable state yet.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Taffer posted:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Taffer's got the gist:

This is what I have in my old spreadsheet for mods to apparently take out of the server pack:
Damage Indicator
Mouse Tweaks
JourneyMap Client-side -- but do use JourneyMapServer, which you probably have to go fetch.

I think you are clear with that. Note though that I was running the server for this for a little corporate team-building thing months--and quite a few revisions--back.

The client is using Forge 1408, so you want to use the 1408 server jar.

Probably going to go through with that in the next few days, thanks!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

Just been trying out the new HQM packs on the FTB server (so you don't have to). Refuge is boring and grindy, with a hint of an interesting idea that it never follows through on. Obscurity is just insanely, brokenly, unfairly difficult. Void World's blurb is so badly written that I couldn't bring myself to try it. Going to go try Hubris now, although I'm predicting a cheap knockoff of Blightfall.

Summary - all poo poo, don't bother. I wonder if Blast Off is in a playable state yet.

Blast Off isn't even a playable concept

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

What's awful about obscurity? The premise blurb sounded cool and I like both hostile world games (ie why I've been digging blightfall so much) and I really love mechanics that involve lighting.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

What's awful about obscurity? The premise blurb sounded cool and I like both hostile world games (ie why I've been digging blightfall so much) and I really love mechanics that involve lighting.

Obscurity takes place almost entirely in the Deep Dark. If that wasn't enough, torches are nerfed to barely emit light, and you have next to no supplies.

Wolfsbane posted:

Obscurity is just insanely, brokenly, unfairly difficult.

How far did you get? I survived the mad dash to the first compact machine, got the supplies from it, then died and realized that if your interdiction torch is in your gravestone and you have no backup supplies you're pretty much screwed. Then I found out there's a patch coming out soon that changes the oregen and all kinds of poo poo that I would want to start over for anyway. I think what you're supposed to do is get the supplies from the compact machine, then climb down the side of the hole a little ways so you can dig into the cobble and make an underground area you can grow a tree in. The interdiction torch is way brighter than torches so you can probably use that to grow trees.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For what it's worth, Obscurity includes Thaumcraft and Thaumic Tinkerer, so if you sprint for Hyperenergetic Nitors as hard as you can (minimum resources for a hyper nitor is like 10-15 coal, 2 wood, 10 iron, and a glowstune dust). My only experience with the Deep Dark was playing FTB Infinity, after I had gotten to hyper nitors. Hyper nitors almost entirely trivialize the Deep Dark, because they light up any area you move through.

Though if they nerfed torches that much, they probably nerfed hyper nitors, and getting to them in the first place in that kind of environment sounds hard :shrug:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

McFrugal posted:

Obscurity takes place almost entirely in the Deep Dark. If that wasn't enough, torches are nerfed to barely emit light, and you have next to no supplies.

How far did you get? I survived the mad dash to the first compact machine, got the supplies from it, then died and realized that if your interdiction torch is in your gravestone and you have no backup supplies you're pretty much screwed. Then I found out there's a patch coming out soon that changes the oregen and all kinds of poo poo that I would want to start over for anyway. I think what you're supposed to do is get the supplies from the compact machine, then climb down the side of the hole a little ways so you can dig into the cobble and make an underground area you can grow a tree in. The interdiction torch is way brighter than torches so you can probably use that to grow trees.

In my best run I grew a tree (on a pillar above the compact machine), then collected all my stuff and ran back to the starting tower. I was busy building an underground room when I accidentally made a hole in the roof and a million double health, double damage zombies dropped on me. While I was carrying all my wood.

I don't know why it bothers with lives, the first death is almost always game over.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

In my best run I grew a tree (on a pillar above the compact machine), then collected all my stuff and ran back to the starting tower. I was busy building an underground room when I accidentally made a hole in the roof and a million double health, double damage zombies dropped on me. While I was carrying all my wood.

I don't know why it bothers with lives, the first death is almost always game over.

/gamemode keepinventory true

Corpse runs usually add nothing to minecraft.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

senae posted:

/gamemode keepinventory true

Corpse runs usually add nothing to minecraft.

I got in a full on dumbass nerdrage argument with my friends about this who were running an MC server (nobody is not an idiot when arguing about MC) - modded minecraft is so far away from a survival game that corpse runs are useless.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Falcon2001 posted:

I got in a full on dumbass nerdrage argument with my friends about this who were running an MC server (nobody is not an idiot when arguing about MC) - modded minecraft is so far away from a survival game that corpse runs are useless.

I would love if a mod came up with an appropriate death penalty, right now either keepinventory is on and death is trivial or it's off and in a modpack that either makes it unwinnable or is so soul-crushing many folks just stop playing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If only Minecraft had currency to drop on death, or had a setting to allow you to lose levels on death while keeping your inventory.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
blightfall come back!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

McFrugal posted:

If only Minecraft had currency to drop on death, or had a setting to allow you to lose levels on death while keeping your inventory.

Ugh, yes, this is the mod (or maybe a console command) that I want.
I'd think losing all your xp and not being able to get it back would make things interesting, but I cannot play with inventory loss on, it's too loving awful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

blightfall come back!

Wait what happened to blightfall

noooooo

E: Has anyone played the FTB packs Void World, Refuge, or Hubris? I'm probably gonna try em all and will trip report, but if anyone knows if any of them are horrible/great it'd be lovely to know in advance

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 3, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You die. Where you respawn there is a fairly harmless looking, yet ghostly creature (perhaps a mouse? Skeleton Dog? Undead Horse?), or if you want to be more edgy, some ghostly looking reaper like spectre. I prefer the prior because its more subtle, but either-way, you are dealing with Death. Capital D.

The creature asks you, for the return of your items that it spirited away, you must pay a price. Your memories (XP), Your wealth, (A coin of some kind, perhaps found or created using a process) your valuables, (Death takes a randomly selected number of items and leaves you the rest) or ask for Death to hang around while you sort something out.

I think thats simple enough?

You could expand upon this, perhaps in substitute to "challenging death to a game of chess" you could offer to duel and get a fight of random difficulty (to surprise the overconfident!) or earn the favour of Death by performing a certain task, say laying the dead to rest in a way that would please Death's sensibilities or building monuments and/or tombs and all that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Clearly it should be: Build death a goku.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
openblocks does something like that, and there are gravestone mods

The run back over previously covered ground with less than what you had getting killed to try and save your drop is just aggravating and not fun, especially with the despawn time limit until poo poo that took hours to make disappears forever. It's just stupid and aggravating.

There's no need to punish the player that hard, especially in a game that's as unbalanced as modded minecraft. I am never playing with having to do that on again.

Losing XP progress would be enough, since you have to be alive to collect it and bigger levels require more work.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Not to mention that in vanilla, you're at most losing diamonds, but in modded MC you could be losing literally days of work due to a creeper or lava problem.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*spends multiple days crafting a bunch of weird poo poo to get a very valuable thing, watches as a lag spike is followed up by a chain-explosion of creepers that spawn out of nowhere* This Is Fun

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Not to mention that in vanilla, you're at most losing diamonds, but in modded MC you could be losing literally days of work due to a creeper or lava problem.

Well, in vanilla you can theoretically work real hard on getting a set of really good enchanted diamond gear. Dealing with the random enchantment system can take some time, even with a good xp farm and stacks of diamonds.

Magres posted:

Has anyone played the FTB packs Void World, Refuge, or Hubris? I'm probably gonna try em all and will trip report, but if anyone knows if any of them are horrible/great it'd be lovely to know in advance

I've played a bit of Hubris. As with every tainted land-based modpack out right now, the mob cap is a serious limitation because of all the tainted mobs that don't despawn. In Hubris, the main issue seems to be tainted creepers.
Other than that it's fine. It's a more dangerous modpack than Blightfall and there's dungeons with loot and stuff.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 3, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

The guy behind Fluxed Crystals does not appear to be very good at coding.

You just described 99% of mod writers

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

You just described 99% of everyone that touches code

McFrugal posted:

Well, in vanilla you can theoretically work real hard on getting a set of really good enchanted diamond gear. Dealing with the random enchantment system can take some time, even with a good xp farm and stacks of diamonds.

I've played a bit of Hubris. As with every tainted land-based modpack out right now, the mob cap is a serious limitation because of all the tainted mobs that don't despawn. In Hubris, the main issue seems to be tainted creepers.
Other than that it's fine. It's a more dangerous modpack than Blightfall and there's dungeons with loot and stuff.

Does Hubris avoid the issue Blightfall seems to have where eventually the game turns into "plant Ethereal Blooms, wait ten minutes, move Ethereal Blooms" and repeat ad nauseum (hopefully this will change some with the big update that's coming out soon, because the pack is really good until you hit the ethereal bloom war)

E: vvv my bad I'm dumb. In my defense I was phone posting

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 3, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Magres posted:

E: Has anyone played the FTB packs Void World, Refuge, or Hubris? I'm probably gonna try em all and will trip report, but if anyone knows if any of them are horrible/great it'd be lovely to know in advance

Wolfsbane posted:

Same loving page. I didn't actually play Hubris though, I played Vanilla Quest. It's pretty fun, and an interesting change of pace.

e: fixed, ta

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 3, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Does Hubris avoid the issue Blightfall seems to have where eventually the game turns into "plant Ethereal Blooms, wait ten minutes, move Ethereal Blooms" and repeat ad nauseum (hopefully this will change some with the big update that's coming out soon, because the pack is really good until you hit the ethereal bloom war)

Well, Blightfall does have the Totems which clear bigger areas, but they don't chunkload so you have to watch them. That said, the upcoming update DOES have a new multiblock that works fast, covers a large area, chunkloads, and can be moved around by airship. So that's how you're expected to clean the world in the end.

As for Hubris, I didn't get far enough that I needed/wanted to clean up areas. I don't think there's any special reason to, as hostile mobs are set to spawn in tainted land, and you're encouraged to build a floating base that won't have any issues with taint.

Wolfsbane posted:

Same loving page. I didn't actually play Hubris though, I played Vanilla Quest. It's pretty fun, and an interesting change of pace.

That link is wrong, you managed to cut off the 9 at the end.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Taffer posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.

bukkit mods, however bukkit mods are lame and bad

or just have them use technic platform with a mod pack you create