Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

zenemarch posted:

WHM is actually super cool and fun; in 2.0 it was mainly a clutch healing class in that it had access to huge heals on demand with Cure 2 and emergency Benediction, with Regen/Medica 2 as a filler HOTs for low damage portions of fights. It did have mana trouble despite Shroud of Saints, but with the addition of Succor in 3.0 my mana problems have almost entirely cleared up. In 3.0 it's become even more of a HOT class with the addition of Asylum on CD. It has some great damage options and is king of AOE with Aero 3, Holy, and Succor used in Cleric Stance. You can also cross class Blizz 3 for a decent-ish instant cast. Opening with a Divine Seal'ed Regen and Asylum combo can easily give you ~20 seconds of uninterrupted DPS at the beginning of any fight, longer if you're willing to let the tank get low and just Tetragrammaton him when things get dicey. You have native access to Stoneskin and Protect so you can cross class stuff like Eye for and Eye and Virus to up your party's DPS even further. Single target DPS isn't super engaging with Aero 3>2>1>Stone 3 until DOTs fall off, but it is easy to keep track of which is largely a boon for healing. Depending on whether your problem is with low level play or not, it could still be a class worth looking into! I've enjoyed it a lot in 2 and 3.0 and am only now leveling SCH, and that's only for my raid group to have more options beyond double WHM fights.

Areo 1 is less damage than stone 3 so only do it when you have fluid aura or assize up. Also I'm sure you meant Blizz2 and Assize. Succor is the scholar shield aoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of the difference between healers, do people still consider SCH to be the go-to for healer dps? Now that WHM has Aero 3 and Stone 3, I find myself matching or exceeding most Scholars, if only because they have to juggle like 5 dots and all I have to do is spam Stone 3 and cast Aero 2/3 occasionally.

I don't do much high-end raiding however and wouldn't mind seeing what the pros think.

EDIT: Astrologians can chime in as well, though personally those are rare as hell in my experience.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Sarrisan posted:

Speaking of the difference between healers, do people still consider SCH to be the go-to for healer dps? Now that WHM has Aero 3 and Stone 3, I find myself matching or exceeding most Scholars, if only because they have to juggle like 5 dots and all I have to do is spam Stone 3 and cast Aero 2/3 occasionally.

I don't do much high-end raiding however and wouldn't mind seeing what the pros think.

EDIT: Astrologians can chime in as well, though personally those are rare as hell in my experience.
From what I've seen (as SCH) in 3.0, WHM and SCH can reach pretty much the same DPS, but WHMs have to be a lot more careful because theirs will empty their MP really goddamn quick. Even with Broil added to give them an MP sink, SCH still almost never have MP problems at all if they're good about energy drain and using Aetherflow on CD.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Sarrisan posted:

Being DoTs is kind of irrelevant - if anything, a limiter on Scholar DPS. It just means it's more visible when your Scholar is tossing out attacks. Scholar's edge is in potency and side effects - Bio is 240 potency, Miasma is 300 potency, Bio II is 350 potency, and of those only Miasma checks accuracy. 2.0 White Mage can't match any of those. 3.0 can, with Assize doing 300 and Aero III doing 370, but Stone III is a little behind.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sarrisan posted:

While AST may have Gravity, it's vastly inferior in every way to Holy. Holy stunlocks, and that which is stunlocked does not deal damage. Gravity does bupkis for the same cost and output.

Single target, it's no different from the others. Stack Combust II (cast time), Combust (instant), Aero (instant), and spam either Malefic I or II depending on how fast you want to run through your mana.

Having Ewer become a Refresh really hurt, especially when using Gravity.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 3, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
AST has an aoe stun on off gcd dummy

Also lmao if you think the ewer changes were bad

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

only good buff to AST was FATE exp change so you could switch job faster

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

While AST may have Gravity, it's vastly inferior in every way to Holy. Holy stunlocks, and that which is stunlocked does not deal damage. Gravity does bupkis for the same cost and output.

Single target, it's no different from the others. Stack Combust II (cast time), Combust (instant), Aero (instant), and spam either Malefic I or II depending on how fast you want to run through your mana.

Having Ewer become a Refresh really hurt, especially when using Gravity.

Gravity costs way less MP than holy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Doublestep posted:

Whereas WHM can chainstun. And as long as they're chainstunned, they're not doing damage that has to be healed. From level 45 onwards. Gravity + Stellar Opposition is low-rent compared to Holy. The nicest thing I can say about Stellar Opposition is that it benefits from Spear.'

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Gravity costs way less MP than holy.

Thank you for the correction, my WHM is still at 50, so I don't have an exact number to compare to.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 3, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Do you know what diminishing returns are

Do you know what mana cost is

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Doublestep posted:

As a Dark Knight, new Ewer is a lot worse than old Ewer for me.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

From what I've seen (as SCH) in 3.0, WHM and SCH can reach pretty much the same DPS, but WHMs have to be a lot more careful because theirs will empty their MP really goddamn quick. Even with Broil added to give them an MP sink, SCH still almost never have MP problems at all if they're good about energy drain and using Aetherflow on CD.

Part of the problem is also that WHM DPS is very heavily dependant on accuracy, whereas SCH is somewhat less so (3/6 dots can't miss, and one is barely ever used)

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
That sucks but no decent astrologian would be giving you old ewer anyway unless they drew like 3-4 in a row and you would probably not be full mp to actually take advantage of it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kafziel posted:

As a Dark Knight, new Ewer is a lot worse than old Ewer for me.

Never mind the fact that old Ewer got better if you were using anything other than Benefic I.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ewer has a lot more uses than just casting it on yourself.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Looking at the numbers, that all makes sense. I guess my issue with SCH is that watching dots is a pain in the rear end. Not a problem for people who aren't bad, I imagine.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
ewer = extra f4 if you can fit it, instant b3 after flare

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Square enix please let me dye my turrets

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Question, did MCH got a buff, when I played them around 3.0 it was a huge RNG mess. is the class better then it was at 3.0 launch?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cyron posted:

Question, did MCH got a buff, when I played them around 3.0 it was a huge RNG mess. is the class better then it was at 3.0 launch?

For MCH and BRD they increased the stance bonus to 30% and decreased the damage of exclusive skills by 10%. It was a flat DPS increase across the board.

They still have that RNG combo, though.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
It's really not that rng you have 2 skills that garuntee procs and it's already a 50% chance. Not to mention that your full combo is an average of like 173 potency vs the 140 of just spamming split shot.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Vermain posted:

Speaking of DRK AoE: What're the situations where you want to use Unleash vs. Abyssal Drain? Is Abyssal better for initial AoE enmity generation?

They both do the same enmity.

I use Abyssal to pull if the mobs are close enough together. Then it gets used instead of Unleash on any fight where I think the fight will end before I have to worry about my MP or if the mobs are bunched up weird.
Unleash is slightly more efficient (7.95 MP per potency at 60 instead of 8.1) and less visually noisy to look at. Dark Magic Sea Urchin is funny and all but holy poo poo you can't see anything while it's going off. That said, in one MP pool without Blood Price or anything you're looking at 8 Unleash vs 7 Abyssal Drain, which is 40 potency in favor of Drain.

I also almost never bother with DA Abyssal Drain because the amount you heal is almost never worth tripling the cost of the thing.

Klades fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 3, 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Pixel Pals is looking for a new Scholar to begin Alexander savage progression. Our founding scholar has some things going on irl which is keeping them from being able to commit at the moment. We are looking for a full replacement, not a sub.

We are newbie friendly, most of the founding group was new to XIV raiding or raiding in general. Play well together and get pretty good clear times. We just want someone serious about being a big nerd and killing robodad. Most important thing is you are interested in improving your button pushing. Past raiding pedigrees are garbage, just be a good player and let's learn some fun fights.

You can check our thread http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27495 there, post interest or find Yevea in game. M/W/F 8:30p EST - 11:30p EST.

e: we could also use a couple subs of any variety

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Klades posted:

They both do the same enmity.

I use Abyssal to pull if the mobs are close enough together. Then it gets used instead of Unleash on any fight where I think the fight will end before I have to worry about my MP or if the mobs are bunched up weird.
Unleash is slightly more efficient (7.95 MP per potency at 60 instead of 8.1) and less visually noisy to look at. Dark Magic Sea Urchin is funny and all but holy poo poo you can't see anything while it's going off. That said, in one MP pool without Blood Price or anything you're looking at 8 Unleash vs 7 Abyssal Drain, which is 40 potency in favor of Drain.

I also almost never bother with DA Abyssal Drain because the amount you heal is almost never worth tripling the cost of the thing.

What are the hard numbers for enmity potency on all the Dark Knight stuff, out of curiosity?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Vermain posted:

Speaking of DRK AoE: What're the situations where you want to use Unleash vs. Abyssal Drain? Is Abyssal better for initial AoE enmity generation?

Seems to me that, aside from being a spike heal on a large pull (I can see niche cases where dark arts could be worth it, but generally I'd agree that it currently doesn't justify the cost. Maybe if it got a solid potency boost too?), the main use for abyssal drain is having a ranged AoE pull, which is unique to DRK unless I'm forgetting something. There are plenty of fights where adds will spawn in a cluster together at some distance from you where unleash won't reach and it's a faster way to nab all of them at once than individual unmends while being much safer than trying to run over and unleash.

I haven't tried running A2 yet as anything other than SCH, so this is purely conjecture, but it seems like a case where Abyssal Drain would be useful for its ranged AoE aggro generation aspects.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Seems to me that, aside from being a spike heal on a large pull (I can see niche cases where dark arts could be worth it, but generally I'd agree that it currently doesn't justify the cost. Maybe if it got a solid potency boost too?), the main use for abyssal drain is having a ranged AoE pull, which is unique to DRK unless I'm forgetting something. There are plenty of fights where adds will spawn in a cluster together at some distance from you where unleash won't reach and it's a faster way to nab all of them at once than individual unmends while being much safer than trying to run over and unleash.

I haven't tried running A2 yet as anything other than SCH, so this is purely conjecture, but it seems like a case where Abyssal Drain would be useful for its ranged AoE aggro generation aspects.

Generally in A2 I find that I have plenty of time to just walk into the middle of the mobs and Unleash. In some cases hitting the full pack with Abyssal would involve wrestling with the lovely targeting system in this game so it's faster to just walk into them. The exception is picking up the two Jags that spawn next to each other toward the end, I usually fling an Abyssal at them if I'm grabbing south adds.

kafziel posted:

What are the hard numbers for enmity potency on all the Dark Knight stuff, out of curiosity?

I can't get the enmity overlay plugin to work for whatever reason, so this is secondhand info, but:
Grit is 2.3x enmity
Spinning Slash is 3x (1397 enmity potency with Grit+Darkside)
Power Slash is 5.5x (3491)
DA Power Slash is 6.5x (4126)
Unmend is 3x (952)
Unleash is 6x (1656)
Abyssal is 5x (1656)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got DRG to 56 tonight. Feels good to have that fourth hit and make the HT and Phleb timers line up again, that was driving me loving nuts :v:

58 just adds RNG to the 4th hit basically, right, and 60 is where the next real moneymaker is? Can't wait for it. :)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So doing Rav Ex tonight, I noticed I would rather do Fire 4 x 3 > Bliz 3 > Bliz 4 > repeat. The damage seemed higher than doing Fire 4 x 2 > Fire 1 > repeat till oom > refresh. It also allowed me to use Thunder 3 procs because I end up having more free time. Anyone double check this for me?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 3, 2015

zenemarch
Oct 20, 2012

ps am no frog posted:

Areo 1 is less damage than stone 3 so only do it when you have fluid aura or assize up. Also I'm sure you meant Blizz2 and Assize. Succor is the scholar shield aoe

I actually didn't know that about Aero 1, thank you! & the Assize icon is green and yellow, always makes me think of Scholar abilities.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

Got DRG to 56 tonight. Feels good to have that fourth hit and make the HT and Phleb timers line up again, that was driving me loving nuts :v:

58 just adds RNG to the 4th hit basically, right, and 60 is where the next real moneymaker is? Can't wait for it. :)

Yes and yes. Your 58 ability is a rear positional, so if you're like me and started playing when heavy thrust and chaos thrust still had the really strict positional requirements it's like second nature.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Klades posted:

Generally in A2 I find that I have plenty of time to just walk into the middle of the mobs and Unleash. In some cases hitting the full pack with Abyssal would involve wrestling with the lovely targeting system in this game so it's faster to just walk into them. The exception is picking up the two Jags that spawn next to each other toward the end, I usually fling an Abyssal at them if I'm grabbing south adds.

I can't get the enmity overlay plugin to work for whatever reason, so this is secondhand info, but:
Grit is 2.3x enmity
Spinning Slash is 3x (1397 enmity potency with Grit+Darkside)
Power Slash is 5.5x (3491)
DA Power Slash is 6.5x (4126)
Unmend is 3x (952)
Unleash is 6x (1656)
Abyssal is 5x (1656)

Someone made a spreadsheet with all the info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlYDnsRpLZrk2wsiaaulwY8JTNe9tXZDQ33Qr_MgDDw/edit#gid=1936655652

I don't know if anyone has actually done the testing to corroborate though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ignimbrite posted:

Yes and yes. Your 58 ability is a rear positional, so if you're like me and started playing when heavy thrust and chaos thrust still had the really strict positional requirements it's like second nature.

I was playing MNK at 60 first, so no big deal. Just the RNG nature is a little odd :v:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Vermain posted:

When you've got more mana than you know what to do with from Blood Price being active.

e: This is when you're pairing it with DA.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

I was playing MNK at 60 first, so no big deal. Just the RNG nature is a little odd :v:

It's not really RNG, you always get a skill, just which part of the mob you have to be pointing your stick at changes. And since they buffed the attack from 100 to 200 if you don't hit the positional it's very forgiving too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

DrNutt posted:

Just a general noob question: does this game get really hard at level 30 or did I miss something? I did my job quest and got Ninja, and the first training mission took me like 4-5 tries (My First Mudra). Overall even doing random quests I feel far more fragile than I ever did before and I'm just wondering if I would have been better if playing a more tanky class.

Kind of late on this, but that quest is just incredibly annoying and precise. There's no sharp step up.

Boten Anna posted:

Also as I recall you need to use Perfect Dodge to do that quest.

Old Perfect Dodge would probably help. New Perfect Dodge doesn't do as much against the single big hits.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Half of me is salty they changed Perfect Dodge but i 100% understand the reasons tbh.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Kind of late on this, but that quest is just incredibly annoying and precise. There's no sharp step up.

Old Perfect Dodge would probably help. New Perfect Dodge doesn't do as much against the single big hits.
Basically, what they DON'T tell you is that the little will-o-wisp guys will murder your HP if you ever get close to them. So you fuma shuriken one, and then throw daggers at the others from afar. Drag any subsequent enemies away from where those guys spawn (there will be more.) and take subsequent waves of them out the same way. Then it's cake.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
As much as I hate comparing my MMO's is there a theorycrafting site the masses would recommend, like icy veins for WoW?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What bosses/situations are you guys having tp issues? I have yet to struggle for tp as a drk. Are people not hitting all their other non tp abilities on cd? Like plunge, stun, dark passenger, slice and carve(I think that's what it's called), the death and decay type spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Holyshoot posted:

What bosses/situations are you guys having tp issues? I have yet to struggle for tp as a drk. Are people not hitting all their other non tp abilities on cd? Like plunge, stun, dark passenger, slice and carve(I think that's what it's called), the death and decay type spell.

you realize the point of offgcd attacks is they're off gcd

and dont take up gcds

which wouldnt help TP situations at all????

• Locked thread