Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Byolante posted:

Unironically Maxwell should get a go. He did alright against india.
I genuinely think Maxi will play tests for Australia again. If he can curb his sillier tendencies he'll be an excellent first class bat.

If.

I do genuinely think we should get Faulkner in ASAP though. I reckon he'll be a linchpin of the side once he gets a proper crack.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The 05 ashes side which was regularly bowled out by England had Katich at 6, 06/07 Clarke, 09 and 10/11 ashes side North, 13 Philip Hughes and the 13/14 had Bailey.

Not all of those guys succeeded but they were batsmen. Again I'm willing to give Mitch Marsh a chance but a bloke batting at 6 needs to be test quality as a batsman. Any bowling is just a nice bonus.

This is a bit of furphy as Watson was batting at 3.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If I was picking the side from what we have.

1. Rogers
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. S Marsh
5. Clarke
6. Voges/ m Marsh (based on the pitch)
7. Nevill.

However, I still don't love that side.
I don't mind this team really. I prefer Clarke at 5, 4 is demonstrably too high. I don't think Voges will play another test regardless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Guptill gonna Guptill.

Lol Latham

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Shmoses posted:

I do genuinely think we should get Faulkner in ASAP though. I reckon he'll be a linchpin of the side once he gets a proper crack.

me too but first he needs to complete the proper comeback narrative after being done for dui so everyone can talk about his inspirational story of redemption and how hes a great bloke

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
This innings has not been very impressive so far.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Kane getting out on 97. Truly a great batsman.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Noxin of Shame posted:

Kane getting out on 97. Truly a great batsman.

As is Taylor and his 46 off 82 against Zimbabwe.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

As is Taylor and his 46 off 82 against Zimbabwe.

Taylor has now got his eye in, and will start taking more risks to really cash in during these last ten overs.

I was honestly expecting him to be out by the time I finished writing that sentence.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

http://www.espncricinfo.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-2015/engine/match/804789.html hat trick off the first 3 balls of the game

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Taylor ran someone out. Who woulda thunk it?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The Jav continues to be Really loving Good since his recall.

edit: averaging 50 at better than a run per ball.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 2, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Thats some bowling.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

:eyepop:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's worrying that no-one in the NZ setup seems to have realised how bad McClenaghan is these days.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Um are Zimbabwe going to win

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Probably. This bowling attack is pitiful.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
At the moment it looks like they're going to fail to make it with wickets in hand

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh no two deliveries have bounced off a length so lets call the whole loving game off.

No wonder teams get skittled out for 50 runs on anything other than a road.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Good win for Zimbabwe

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And still lost the match

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Shmoses posted:

I don't mind this team really. I prefer Clarke at 5, 4 is demonstrably too high. I don't think Voges will play another test regardless though.

I never got all the bitching about how Clarke was a coward or whatever for batting at five. It was his natural loving position, if he bats well there then leave him the gently caress alone - not everyone can hack it against a newer ball, and his (formerly I guess) good technique against spin screams lower middle order. Nobody bitched about Border batting at five, did they? (I know he moved around a bit though.)

Also, it's both funny and sad that this thread is supporting the inclusion of SMarsh.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
With his back the way it is Clarke should move back to 5.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Or get a new back.

They're just gonna pepper him with short poo poo, and unlike last Ashes or South Africa, I doubt he's all that capable of coping and taking advantage of it. His footwork has deserted him, too, and he dropped an important regulation catch. All bad signs.

Smith's gonna be under huge pressure now, he's had one excellent Test but apart from that Rogers has been carrying us. I doubt we'll drop Clarke, but I wouldn't be surprised if he retires as soon as we lose the Ashes.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Coucho Marx posted:

I never got all the bitching about how Clarke was a coward or whatever for batting at five. It was his natural loving position, if he bats well there then leave him the gently caress alone - not everyone can hack it against a newer ball, and his (formerly I guess) good technique against spin screams lower middle order. Nobody bitched about Border batting at five, did they? (I know he moved around a bit though.)
I've been saying this about Clarke for ages and I never understood the move up the order. I don't think anyone bitched about Border (although most of his career was while I was an infant), but they certainly did about Steve Waugh. It's dumb, you need to be a specific type of batsman to bat at 3 and neither Clarke nor Waugh are/were that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Doctor Cave posted:

With his back the way it is Clarke should move back to 5.

I think it's pretty clear from the way he moves on the field that he can't move his back anywhere

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I thought he was moved up because of top order instability. But now that we have a batsman that can consistently get out of the Watto zone in Steve Smith, he may as well be moved back down the order.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Steve Waugh dropped himself down the order when he got a bit older. Plenty of batsmen do it, Clarke should as well. I think he's been putting himself at 4th to will himself back into form but he needs to go down a spot.

The only other thing I can think of is because since he moved up the number 5 position has rotated more than been held onto, my guess it was his effort to take some of the pressure off whomever was being brought into that spot.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

webmeister posted:

I think it's pretty clear from the way he moves on the field that he can't move his back anywhere

I genuinely figured he'd have retired by now for this reason alone

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ponting moved down to 4 towards the end of his career. There is no shame in protecting the crippled out of form captain that we desperately need to get at least a few more tests out of.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stick him at 7, tell him to hold up an end while the bowlers go big.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i like the way that clarke was groomed for a decade before he became captain and now the side is suddenly bereft of developed leaders

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

snaeksikn posted:

i like the way that clarke was groomed for a decade before he became captain and now the side is suddenly bereft of developed leaders

our inability to plan for the future is renowned

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Surely someone is patting Smith on the head and telling him what a great Captain he will be?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but have they been teaching him how to captain at the same time?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Play your natural game mate, you'll be fine!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dead Goon posted:

Play your natural game mate, you'll be fine!

He's been smashing them in the press

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

goatface posted:

Yeah, but have they been teaching him how to captain at the same time?

The general opinion of Clarke seemed to be that he was a superstar batsman and an absolute oval office behind the scenes, right?

Smith can't do much worse (?), and already has a world-class season with the bat under his belt

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Surely someone is patting Smith on the head and telling him what a great Captain he will be?

clarke was earmarked as the next captain before he made his debut, everyone had been caught out by smith becoming not terrible

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hyperriker posted:

The general opinion of Clarke seemed to be that he was a superstar batsman and an absolute oval office behind the scenes, right?

My cousin's sent his kid to multiple cricket training camp things that have featured sessions with Clarke coaching. He says he's great with the kids and parents.

Maybe he just doesn't manage egos well.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

goatface posted:

My cousin's sent his kid to multiple cricket training camp things that have featured sessions with Clarke coaching. He says he's great with the kids and parents.

Maybe he just doesn't manage egos well.

A guy I used to work with claimed to know him and had met him on a few occasions, pretty negative review.

Maybe it is an ego thing like you say, or an alpha thing. Perfectly fine when nobody's challenging dominance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I know plenty of vapid cunts who are very nice to (1) children and (2) authority figures. A formal setting such as a training camp isn't the best place to gauge such things.