Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I'm currently Revolutionary Russia attempting to gobble up as much land as possible. I noticed i haven't been at war with anyone in Europe in 50 years, and Poland has some land that's just right for me to grab. My culture and everything. So I declare war on them. The screen looks absolutely normal. Then I'm suddenly at -3 stability (from +1 or so) and at 5 war exhaustion. I absolutely did not have a truce or a royal marriage or anything similar with them. I was at maybe 5% overextension (though I think I had just finished reducing that) and had little to no war exhaustion. I have no idea what caused this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

No CB?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I used the Spread the Revolution CB.

e: I had little enough RA that I slipped into a Republican Dictatorship and increasing stability from -3 to -2 cost 294 points. My ruler then died and I became a Revolutionary Enlightened Despot(?!) so at least I'm able to dig myself out from this now.

e2: Although my ruler is 0/1/5 so maybe not. Not unless I want to roll the die and hope I can get a good regency for my heir. But I wont' be able to conquer enough land to get 1,000,000 manpower by the end of the game if that happens. Probably couldn't even if I did wage war constantly though, which means this achievement is significantly harder to get than I thought.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 2, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TTBF posted:

So I'm currently Revolutionary Russia attempting to gobble up as much land as possible. I noticed i haven't been at war with anyone in Europe in 50 years, and Poland has some land that's just right for me to grab. My culture and everything. So I declare war on them. The screen looks absolutely normal. Then I'm suddenly at -3 stability (from +1 or so) and at 5 war exhaustion. I absolutely did not have a truce or a royal marriage or anything similar with them. I was at maybe 5% overextension (though I think I had just finished reducing that) and had little to no war exhaustion. I have no idea what caused this.

You broke a truce. The -5 Stab, +5 WE (and probably 50AE if you look) are dead giveaways. I'm betting you have in fact been at war with Europe more recently than that.

Mans posted:

higher morale means your troops fight longer but not better so you're basically just prolonging the beating the enemy will give you.

high moral needs more soldiers and more manpower to make up for the robocops discipline gives you.

which is why quantity is good.

Morale damage scales with max morale. Morale damage wipes stacks.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
If you're 100% sure you didn't have a truce, you may have had military access to them, which has a similar effect, but I don't remember exactly what it is.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

You broke a truce. The -5 Stab, +5 WE (and probably 50AE if you look) are dead giveaways. I'm betting you have in fact been at war with Europe more recently than that

I last went to war with a European power before I began racking up debt to become the target of the revolution. I started that in 1740 and it is currently 1791. I absolutely did not break a truce. Upon checking the European nations bordering me and Poland, no one has an aggressive expansion penalty to me.

Lori posted:

If you're 100% sure you didn't have a truce, you may have had military access to them, which has a similar effect, but I don't remember exactly what it is.

This might be it? I don't think I had military access through Poland but it is possible I got it decades ago and forgot about it. If that's the case, it is still weird it didn't warn me.

I'll have to make sure to double check next time.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 2, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ok, then yeah, it's this:

Lori posted:

I forgot about the military access penalty. But the penalty is the same as a truce break, minus the AE, so +5 WE, -5 Stab.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How do people feel about Economic and Adminstrative ideas? As Ethiopia I'm not gonna be making tons of money of trade until I can break through the Ottomans and I have tons of gold, so Economic seems like it'd be a good fit. Administrative would make it easier to conquer all the countries around me and also get me mercs to smooth my lovely manpower. Any suggestions?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

How do people feel about Economic and Adminstrative ideas? As Ethiopia I'm not gonna be making tons of money of trade until I can break through the Ottomans and I have tons of gold, so Economic seems like it'd be a good fit. Administrative would make it easier to conquer all the countries around me and also get me mercs to smooth my lovely manpower. Any suggestions?

They're both good, Econ will give you more money but the -20% development cost finisher might not be all that exciting since most/all your territory gets huge development penalties.

Is your expansion limited by coring costs and speed rather than AE, manpower, or OE? Are you fairly wealthy that you can afford a sizable mercenary crew, and would it be beneficial to stretch out your manpower like that? Take Admin. Otherwise I'd go Economic.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Admin ideas, plus Quantity ideas, plus the Admin-Quant policy will knock around a third to a quarter of the monthly maintenance cost off of mercenaries. Add in Economic and Defensive too and you will have dirt cheap mercs, and Defensive works very well since a lot of your land is arid so it will really hurt any invading siege stack.

Merc maintenance is affected by regular land maintenance, so it can get very cheap.

e; as Ethiopia, since you will be taking Kaffa, Kilwa and Mutapa you will eventually be throwing gold around like it is nothing. Definitely go this path. The road to the defeat of Ottoman is by making them look weak.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you haven't already taken an Admin idea group (like Religious or something), I'd get both Admin and Econ. Probably Admin early on since that will get you the most benefit from the coring and tech discount, then Econ as your fourth or fifth group.

That's pretty much my standard picks, if not colonizing. Admin, Influence, Defensive in whatever order to start. Then Econ, other military ideas, Diplomatic probably. Bog standard "get big" picks for non-colonizers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Larry Parrish posted:

People like to simply stick to X/4/X armies and 'get discipline over everything' but it's simply not true that those are always the most effective strategy in every case.

You can stick with this for a couple hundred hours of gameplay and pretty much do fine, though. V:shobon:V

<--- Case in point

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never have manpower problems when I'm playing some super-country, I just want to win battles. Sure I'll lose 20k troops to their 16k losses but my 40 stack just beat their 60 stack in mountains because their morale ran out before mine did, and that wins the war so long as I keep having more young men to grind up to paint the map my colour.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My Muscovy game is done. My main problems were a series of alliances in the middle of the game delaying my ability to take Danzig for maybe 40 years, as well as that blunder where I accidentally declared war on a nation I had military access through. I also had tried the colonial empire route, but found that the European powers had entirely skipped Brazil and La Plata in order to go right for the spice islands. That was just some rotten luck.

I was hoping to get the one million manpower reserve achievement and in the last 20 years it looked like it'd be a race to see if I could make it.

:suicide:

One more year and I'd have had it. I'm not feeling another Muscovy game anytime soon but I think I know where I went wrong. Straight up annexing Japan instead of making it my march (which was constantly suffering rebellions and thus never very useful) would have given me the manpower even with 75% autonomy. At one point I was feeling cornered in a war and took a military tech at +70% when I probably could have waited a while. That extra miltech invested in manpower development could have done it. I had a nice lull period I could have used to take out Yarkand but never felt it was worth taking troops away from either China or Europe to deal with them and their allies in Delhi and Bukkhara. Turns out I was wrong.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
I'm playing a game as Prussia, and I lucked into a union with France. I have a really lovely 1/0/1 leader. I got an event that popped up saying something along the lines of "Our ruler is an incompetent moron, but has a competent cousin. Let's put him on the throne!" the two options were "that would be super disruptive, no" for +10 prestige, or "Sure, sounds great" that claimed it would put a 3/1/6 dude named XYZ on the throne, for -10 legitimacy. Taking the option to go for the new guy put him on the throne of France, but the incompetent dude stayed on the Prussian throne, and it broke the union. My reading of the tooltip did not make it sound like it would break the union, so I was super confused (non-ironman though, so I just reloaded). My question is: why would you ever pick the option to voluntarily break your union over someone and give them a good monarch for no personal benefit? This seems like a useless event, but maybe I just can't see some great situational benefit?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am going making my way through India and Rajput Traditons (+50% coring cost) and Local Nobility (+50% coring cost) is the worst thing in the game. The worst. I will have all the silk! All of ittttttt.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tsyni posted:

I am going making my way through India and Rajput Traditons (+50% coring cost) and Local Nobility (+50% coring cost) is the worst thing in the game. The worst. I will have all the silk! All of ittttttt.

Increased coring cost really is the worst thing in the game by a mile.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

TTBF posted:

I last went to war with a European power before I began racking up debt to become the target of the revolution. I started that in 1740 and it is currently 1791. I absolutely did not break a truce. Upon checking the European nations bordering me and Poland, no one has an aggressive expansion penalty to me.

This might be it? I don't think I had military access through Poland but it is possible I got it decades ago and forgot about it. If that's the case, it is still weird it didn't warn me.

I'll have to make sure to double check next time.

You can also get a truce if a nation is released - any countries that neighbor it will pick up a 10 year truce timer. That totally boned me when I was invading Asia - rebels forced the release of a country that I didn't have vision to, so I just deus vulted them since I figured I didn't have any truces in the area. Err. That was a nasty 5 stab hit.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How should I be using manufactories and where are the best places to place them? Obviously provinces with good trade goods are better, but is there more? As Russia, I've got a lot of cash and a lot of provinces to choose from.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Over a Thousand finally done :toot:

That's 1,003 provinces. Finished in about 1790, although it could've been done quicker if I focused on it more in the early game and if I just took over all the non-Ming provinces in Asia later on instead of messing around in Europe. But I got lucky and the major European nations basically broke all their alliances to each other so picking the HRE off 2-3 members at a time was surprisingly easy, as was chewing up all of Austria's lands since they counted as a co-belligerent every time I declared on one of their members. Managed to get the achievement for dismantling the HRE pretty easily thanks to that clusterfuck. Only major powers left in the world are a Spain who still has a bunch of land in North/South America and is holding onto the Iberian peninsula, a France who is similarly well colonized, a Scandinavia that I was allied with for a while that owns pretty much everything North of me, and a Ming that never imploded and controls most of that big grey blob in Asia on the map.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Nice. What nation were you playing as?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TTBF posted:

Nice. What nation were you playing as?

Surely Ottomans? Though the blue is odd.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Ottos, the blue is just because it's an in-game screenshot in coalition mode since I figured that would show me vs the rest of the world the clearest. Started off just going for the Sultan of Rum achievement since I realized I didn't have it. I just kind of went about expanding into Africa and Asia like I normally would and it wasn't until I realized that I could grab a ton of land fairly easily in about 1600 just due to the way alliances/coalitions were going that I actually buckled down and started grabbing provinces every chance I could get. In a way I guess it actually kind of helped since I got to build up my economy to a silly point before aggressively expanding, letting me actually have enough troops to deal with the constant rebellions from Overextension, which was easily the biggest obstacle of the run. Having a bunch of admin efficiency and coring cost bonuses doesn't do much to prevent the fact that taking 100% war score worth of land leaves you with like 200% OE in the mid/late game.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Just recently got into playing ironman and going for achievements. I was able to complete "Prester John" on my 2nd attempt. Decided I'd go for "A Sun God" next with Cusco.

Things were going along fine until Castile DOW'd me, landed on my western coast, and marched through my provinces till they got war reparations and 1500 gold I had recently acquired form my northern neighbors. What surprised me was I had no colonies bordering a western power and no coastal provinces on the east or south coast. Is it typically for the Europeans to attack that aggressively or was it just bad luck? Thinking about just starting over at this point as I only had 2 reforms through and rebels immediately spawned after I peaced out.

Also: Does the AI have to have "vision" to march through your territory? They were moving freely through my country without a conquistador.

TomEmanski fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 3, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

TomEmanski posted:

Just recently got into playing ironman and going for achievements. I was able to complete "Prester John" on my 2nd attempt. Decided I'd go for "A Sun God" next with Cusco.

Things were going along fine until Castile DOW'd me, landed on my western coast, and marched through my provinces till they got war reparations and 1500 gold I had recently acquired form my northern neighbors. What surprised me was I had no colonies bordering a western power and no coastal provinces on the east or south coast. Is it typically for the Europeans to attack that aggressively or was it just bad luck? Thinking about just starting over at this point as I only had 2 reforms through and rebels immediately spawned after I peaced out.

Also: Does the AI have to have "vision" to march through your territory? They were moving freely through my country without a conquistador.

If you're at war with someone you can move into terra incognita of theirs as if you had a conquistador. If you were Castille you'd have the same ability.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When they are at war with you they can move through your territory and discover it without a conquistador.

Obliterati posted:

If you're at war with someone you can move into terra incognita of theirs as if you had a conquistador. If you were Castille you'd have the same ability.

You suck

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TomEmanski posted:

That is some exceptionally bad luck in a lot of areas. Quite a few people here did Sun God runs not too long ago, and I don't think anyone mentioned Europeans showing up before the third reform was passed. I'd suggest trying again if you think your current game is unsalvageable. It's unlikely luck will be that bad again.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

How should I be using manufactories and where are the best places to place them? Obviously provinces with good trade goods are better, but is there more? As Russia, I've got a lot of cash and a lot of provinces to choose from.

Build them in iron, fur and copper provinces, prioritise your non-arctic provinces, provinces in trade nodes that only forward/primarily forward value to where you're collecting and your home node, which I'll assume is Novgorod. Trading in fur gets you +1 Prestige, which is handy, and also a shitload of money from the shitload of fur you have. Iron is your highest value good once the last price event fires for it, copper will be higher before then but never goes below 3.45, I think. Don't build them in the White Sea node unless you're collecting there for some reason (don't do that) or you've got enough money that you just don't care about efficiency.

With Trade ideas and a ton of manufactories you can be very, very wealthy even before factoring in the production income.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the main thing with manufactories is to build them (at least at the start before you're actually rich) in provinces that are in trade nodes that you completely control in order to get the full benefits of both production income and the raised trade value. As Russia, that usually means keeping them up North since that trade route is fairly easy to control and direct into Novgorod with a trader or two without another country siphoning a bunch of the value off. If you build manufactories in provinces that are in trade zones that you don't control, you'll still get the production benefit, but you'll actually be making some of your neighbors richer because the added trade value from that production will be going to them. Once you're up to a point where money isn't too much of a concern you can throw some manufactories around in other trade nodes if they're for expensive goods just to get the +.5 income from production.

Also keep in mind that manufactories and the production bonus buildings work very well with each other, because a manufactory gives a straight +1 goods produced bonus, while the production buildings give a % based bonus. So keep an eye out on provinces that you build manufactories in because if they have another building slot then throwing a production building down to go with a manufactory can often give almost as much of a bonus as the manufactory itself while being way cheaper.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

TTBF posted:

That is some exceptionally bad luck in a lot of areas. Quite a few people here did Sun God runs not too long ago, and I don't think anyone mentioned Europeans showing up before the third reform was passed. I'd suggest trying again if you think your current game is unsalvageable. It's unlikely luck will be that bad again.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware about the terra incognita thing during war. Might give it another go in a few days.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Larry Parrish posted:

When they are at war with you they can move through your territory and discover it without a conquistador.

You suck

Don't make me a) build a fleet b) sail it over to Scotland c) come up with a CB

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Obliterati posted:

Don't make me a) build a fleet b) sail it over to Scotland c) come up with a CB

and then give me iceland

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Once the HRE has picked which religion it is definitely going to be, what happens if I vassalize 3-4 electors as someone of a different religion?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
With everyone talking about Russia lately, I decided to try an ironman Muscovy run:

Playing as the only major nation of a religion really highlights how terrible the Defender of Faith mechanic is. For the first half of the game whenever I wanted to gobble up more of Lithuania, I would always have to deal with France. Though I intentionally kept Georgia alive so I would at least have one Orthodox buddy on the map :3:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Once the HRE has picked which religion it is definitely going to be, what happens if I vassalize 3-4 electors as someone of a different religion?

They continue to not vote for you, because you are completely ineligible. Same deal as if you were a Republic. Once the HRE picks a religion, it is picked for good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

With everyone talking about Russia lately, I decided to try an ironman Muscovy run:

Playing as the only major nation of a religion really highlights how terrible the Defender of Faith mechanic is. For the first half of the game whenever I wanted to gobble up more of Lithuania, I would always have to deal with France. Though I intentionally kept Georgia alive so I would at least have one Orthodox buddy on the map :3:

DotF is pretty funny when you're the only person of your faith. I had a game as the Guarani where I became defender of the Catholic faith and never had to defend it, as I was the only Catholic on the continent.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It sucks when you get DotF calls from across the map. I can't save you, Ryazan. I'm in North America.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TomEmanski posted:

I've been messing around with Cusco/Inca for the achievement and just recently went from 1.12 to 1.13. What I noticed is that in my 1.12 run the Europeans showed up pretty late, around 1550 or so, which gave me time to get ready despite me forgetting about history and the civil war that spawns soon after you get hit with the first rounds of smallpox, and in the process losing my capital and 2 religious reforms to pretenders. I ended up giving up my 1.12 game because I played for a while with the 601 day colonization bug without realizing it, pretty much making it impossible for me to finish the achievement.

In 1.13, though the Europeans seem to get to South America much faster. Basically by 1505-1510 they're going to have a few colonies in South America and by 1520 they're going to be exploring the west coast. I managed to conquer the Andes by 1504, reform my religion by about 1545 and immediately westernize, but about 10 years in I just had Spain declare on me. Not to mention that France, Holland, England, and Spain (but not Portugal, weirdly, I think they own all of the Caribbean though) are all colonizing parts of South America. One thing to try is to move your capital close to one colony and see if you can get a European power to declare you their protectorate while you finish up your reforms, colonize like a mad Inca, and westernize.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Letting one of them beat you in a war but being made a protectorate as part of the peace deal can work sometimes too. There's that new subject interaction to steal a province from a protectorate though and IDK if the AI uses it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They do, but I don't think they use it intelligently. Plus it's just once province and you should have dozens of them, so unless they somehow steal Potosi from you it's not a huge deal. The key is to westernize before you get wrecked by white people. Once you westernize you can generally take them in a war since the AI can only ship so many soldiers to the New World at a time, while you should easily have a standing army of 30-40k.

• Locked thread