Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Szmitten posted:

Sure, check Tumblr.
What am I checking for exactly..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It's a Saddle Stapler. I grew up with my Dad working in a print shop, so the Independent Printing Resource Center felt a little like home to me. I mean, it didn't smell like cleaning solvents and there wasn't a huge 4 color Heidelberg that could take your arm off, but it was close.

These staplers not too expensive on Amazon if you don't have one you can go borrow.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

What am I checking for exactly..?

I left you a message there. I'm too cheap for PMs here.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Well I deduced which tumblr yours is, but I never got a message.

That's twice now tumblr's done that, that I know of.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

Well I deduced which tumblr yours is, but I never got a message.

That's twice now tumblr's done that, that I know of.

Ah whatever, my username at gmail. Note I'm in the far flung future of BST.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 30, 2015

harrodeleted
Apr 14, 2015
(Hey Scribblehatch!) Totally missed that this is the place to post self promotion for comics, so I might as well start-

I've been doing a comic (http://demonsmirror.com) that's in the final pages now (15 pages until it's done) and I'd love to get some last feedback that I can push into my next comic.

I went into it knowing I'd mess up a bunch, and so understandably the pacing is wonky especially in the beginning and middle. I'm also positive there's some awkwardness all around, but what I really want to know about is if there's something that makes you grind your teeth/stop reading/or just generally makes you unhappy with it. Can be art, writing, etc.

Its become pretty hard to see it critically after doing it for a few years now.

thanks!

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Nothin' to say except I love your comic and super congrats on getting a Tapastic feature.

Hmm, re-reading it, still love it all but (hopefully this is constructive for you) didn't enjoy the huge string of story revelations getting threaded into the big final showdown fight scene, and the allegiances were too easily changed. Cesar was more sympathetic when he was just a screw-up student. Would also have liked to see more time spent on the Winter Queen's forces being spooky, giant, kinda nonviolent-looking but still irreversably changing the landscape, as well as more character development for the Tiniest Monster Hunter ever. Sometimes it felt like the characters behaved in certain ways for the plot, as opposed to the plot being on the characters' shoulders. Having some space to breathe in between each and every dramatic revelation would have really nailed a lot of the sympathies that I wanted to feel for each and every character.

GreatJob fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 31, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've upgraded to Windows 10, and MS5 is just straight up refusing to install. The installer hangs whether it's 5.0.0 from the disc or 5.0.5 from the web.

I'll try it again tomorrow with different compatibility options, but that's something to watch out for. No idea if it runs when it's already installed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've upgraded to Windows 10, and MS5 is just straight up refusing to install. The installer hangs whether it's 5.0.0 from the disc or 5.0.5 from the web.

I'll try it again tomorrow with different compatibility options, but that's something to watch out for. No idea if it runs when it's already installed.
Maybe you should make some Poser models and trace them. I hear it works wonders.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

If I may make a suggestion on the modeling-program subject, sass aside: Check out Design Doll. It's got a much better UI than Poser in my opinion, and it's free to download. The only feature it keeps to premiums, is the ability to LOAD files.

Of course, no program like this should be used as a tracing crutch. There are simply some angles and some Jojo poses that do not exist in photography, and it never hurts to get a good look.

harrodeleted posted:

(Hey Scribblehatch!)
Hey buddy!

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 31, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scribblehatch posted:

If I may make a suggestion on the modeling-program subject, sass aside: Check out Design Doll. It's got a much better UI than Poser in my opinion, and it's free to download. The only feature it keeps to premiums, is the ability to LOAD files.

Of course, no program like this should be used as a tracing crutch. There are simply some angles and some Jojo poses that do not exist in photography, and it never hurts to get a good look.
I think the tracing crotch is a bigger problem for this thread.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oh, I haven't checked the comicry thread in a while, I wonder what's

:catstare:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scribblehatch posted:

I'm really glad programs like Design Doll exist, because it's goddamn impossible to find certain perspective shots with good lighting, especially extreme top-down/down-up.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, using 3d Modeling to explore various perspectives to use as reference is a smart use of the tool. It's an old trick too, traditionally you'd make a clay maquette but it's the same kind of thing.

Can also build your own models in Maya or Zbrush or whatever and move those around to get an idea of how a character might look with different angles/lighting.

harrodeleted
Apr 14, 2015

GreatJob posted:

Nothin' to say except I love your comic and super congrats on getting a Tapastic feature.

Hmm, re-reading it, still love it all but (hopefully this is constructive for you) didn't enjoy the huge string of story revelations getting threaded into the big final showdown fight scene, and the allegiances were too easily changed. Cesar was more sympathetic when he was just a screw-up student. Would also have liked to see more time spent on the Winter Queen's forces being spooky, giant, kinda nonviolent-looking but still irreversably changing the landscape, as well as more character development for the Tiniest Monster Hunter ever. Sometimes it felt like the characters behaved in certain ways for the plot, as opposed to the plot being on the characters' shoulders. Having some space to breathe in between each and every dramatic revelation would have really nailed a lot of the sympathies that I wanted to feel for each and every character.

Thank you, and thank you for taking that time to analyze!

Yeah, breathing room and character constancy are big ones-- I always feel so rushed at only having two pages a week to move the story along, but in the end the reader reads it all at once (often times).

Thank you!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the tracing crotch is a bigger problem for this thread.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Does anyone have any good guides or resources on costume design? I struggle a lot with designing clothes for characters and I'm not sure on how to start correcting it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

painted bird posted:

Does anyone have any good guides or resources on costume design? I struggle a lot with designing clothes for characters and I'm not sure on how to start correcting it.

What are you struggling with- coming up with designs, rendering clothing, setting? There's a lot of different stuff depending on how out-there the setting is.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Coming up with designs, most of all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

painted bird posted:

Coming up with designs, most of all.

If you are looking for modern regular clothes you might want to try street photo blogs. If you want something fancy then can try high end fashion blogs and the like. Or can do both and try something like http://www.thesartorialist.com/ that has a mix of fancy fashion plus everyday wear.

There is a lot of variation in how people dress themselves so I think you can get a ton of ideas by looking at real life. Even for fantasy you can look up historical examples though I'd recommend to look at a wide variety of cultures and styles rather than just default to what people in one part of England wore.

So yeah, I'd definitely just look up fashion blogs of all kinds (pinterest might help as well) and see if anything gives you ideas.

Also there is a fashion/health forum here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179 , you might get some good ideas from there as well.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 1, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Be aware though that fashion is not your only concern in character design. More important is often stuff like:

1. Keeping the thing easy to draw, since you will be drawing it a lot.
2. Making the thing distinctive, and also coherent in that it's easily recognizable as that character, even from a range of perspectives and zoom levels.
3. Having stuff in the costume to convey character. In particular for characters that need to move around, having stuff that helps convey motion - e.g. Ribbons, loose cloth, and yes, capes - helps a lot.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Another good thing for modern design is peoplewatching: Go to various different areas in your locality and just sit back and observe what people wear. Restaurants at lunch time are good, as are public spaces and shops. Try to guess things about people based on what they're wearing- age, occupation, how much they pay attention to pop culture, income level, etc. Go to the mall and check out the windows of various clothing stores. Maybe grab a fashion magazine or two, if you like having physical references. Don't forget to observe hairstyle and accessories!

In general, you also want to bear in mind local climate: Characters in Alabama in September will wear something very different from characters in Ontario in September.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Attention assholders, hold on to your asses: You may now submit applications for TCAF 2016.

We've put in an app on behalf of Toronto Comics Vol 3, and hopefully we'll be able to launch our next volume there. You should definitely apply!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TCAF was great but I wish I'd done a year as an attendee before I tabled. It ended up hard to check in on everything cool going on.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Okay, I've put together a book proposal. Anyone want to flip through and spot if they see anything horrifying or offensive? I'm trying to exhaustively plan everything before we go live.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xcv-_lsd_pyNKFKKCd0CJwXGN8cMJmoHaHkepOucoVo/edit?usp=sharing

Pick posted:

TCAF was great but I wish I'd done a year as an attendee before I tabled. It ended up hard to check in on everything cool going on.
I have literally no idea about anything that happened more than 5 feet away my table. Tunnel vision doesn't even begin to describe those crowd-jammed days.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

painted bird posted:

What period are you going for? The Kyoto Costume Institute has many lovely books which catalog their (mostly western) clothing collection from the 18th to the 20th century.

They even have digital archives for you to browse free of charge, though what's on there is far more limited

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
My goal is to have fashion that roughly corresponds to the 1920s but if the starting point had been Russian traditional dress and not Western dress. :v: It's not that hard to research, but it's hard to come up with designs and I don't know if it'll become easier or if it's something one has to have talent for.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Having a disposition towards fashion certainly helps in these kinds of matters, but just figuring out the general patterns and themes from clothes is a big start.

So, I'd just do research on why Western and Russian dress caught on in their respective countries at the time and extrapolate from there. If you can find clothes similar to the feeling you'd prefer, don't hesitate to copy the outfit outright. It's the same as clothes for real: no shame in buying/wearing an outfit you think looks cool, even if someone has worn it before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What I like to do is find representative articles from different period outfits or styles, set them on hangers, and line them up on the laundry line. Then I generously daub each one with a flavor of jam and see which attracts more wasps. More wasps = better.

Ha ha, just kidding! Just have everyone wear a t-shirt.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I have a fairly hefty collection of books about historical costume of various areas and times; I also like to use this digital archive of an 1800s book of historical costume as a general inspiration. This tumblr has a good tagging system for historical clothes (mostly Western). Here's a good collection of French 20s fashion. This one's a general blog dedicated to folk costumes; a quick search of "russia" seemed to have fruitful results. You might also check out some Soviet propaganda posters from the period you're working with.

I'd recommend just researching how lines and silhouettes changed over the decades, and doing similar exaggerations with the Russian styles. Probably the most pronounced thing about the 20s silhouette for women was the emphasis on straight lines and a shorter hemline. In general, the 20s introduced a lot more casual clothing, particularly for men.

As a final note, you'll probably want to study the fashions of the previous two decades as well, since a lot of the time normal people (particularly poor or elderly folks) will keep wearing older fashions for everyday wear.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I recently bought a variety of books about clothing styles, as Puppy Time mentioned, from the period my story actually takes place and then going back a little bit. Sucks to be doing this so late in the game but it's better than never doing it at all.

This one is particularly divine with regard to my needs, but search around as mentioned- there's a lot of free stuff you can find online (I mostly wanted print resources so that I don't have to turn on my laptop/tablet every time I need a reference picture because I'm way too easily distracted by it once its "on" and "available to be used"). In general for design advice listen to the other people in this thread, they're smarter than me & looked before they leapt.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Squidster posted:

Attention assholders, hold on to your asses: You may now submit applications for TCAF 2016.

We've put in an app on behalf of Toronto Comics Vol 3, and hopefully we'll be able to launch our next volume there. You should definitely apply!

I haven't clicked the link yet to check because I'm on my phone which crashes the app when I try and open external links, but I thought they were really cracking down on the 'if you tabled last year, you can't have one this year' rule this year to combat the sheer volume of applicants and keep things varied?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

They have, yes. They still allow you to submit if you have a new book release or important milestone at TCAF itself. I don't know if we'll get a table, but I figure it's worth a shot!

Incidentally, I've taken our pitch doc live to http://tocomix.com/2016.html , so any Toronto-minded folks in this thread can now submit stuff!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I used to make comics when I was way younger and would sort of like to get back into it, but I'm also a poor college student so I have a question! Amazon has Manga Studio ex 4 for like half the price of base Manga Studio 5, would it be a bad idea to get the old software/is there anything super better in Manga Studio 5? Also, as an art student would it maybe be better to get a more well-rounded program like Paint Tool Sai or do Manga Studio's comics-oriented features outweigh the opportunity cost of maybe having to get a different program if I want to do digital art for school?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

I used to make comics when I was way younger and would sort of like to get back into it, but I'm also a poor college student so I have a question! Amazon has Manga Studio ex 4 for like half the price of base Manga Studio 5, would it be a bad idea to get the old software/is there anything super better in Manga Studio 5? Also, as an art student would it maybe be better to get a more well-rounded program like Paint Tool Sai or do Manga Studio's comics-oriented features outweigh the opportunity cost of maybe having to get a different program if I want to do digital art for school?

Manga Studio 5 works really well as a digital painting program and is worth buying even if you never make a single comic with it. While it won't have every tool photoshop has, you get plenty for the price and you can easily make very good art with it.

I've not used MS4 so I can't tell you what features you'd be missing if you went with it. That said, MS5 does go on sale frequently and I've seen it go as low as 20-something before during one. So if you wait a bit you might be able to get a good deal on that version.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
If you buy Clip Studio from the authors of the software directly and not the Manga Studio version that never gets updates, the pro version is only $50. You probably do not need EX, I only buy EX to throw money at Celesys.

http://www.clipstudio.net/en/

Edit; also: Be prepared to spend time learning how to create brushes in [Clip|Manga] Studio to use it for painting; the default brushes are rather lackluster. You will likely learn to do this if you are trying to make effect lines with the pen tool for regular linework, anyway. It's much easier than it sounds.

windex fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

MS4 is an entirely different program to MS5. The main deficiency is in handling colour, but there are other things as well. As people have said, MS5 has sales fairly regularly.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

windex posted:

Edit; also: Be prepared to spend time learning how to create brushes in [Clip|Manga] Studio to use it for painting; the default brushes are rather lackluster. You will likely learn to do this if you are trying to make effect lines with the pen tool for regular linework, anyway. It's much easier than it sounds.
Or you could just let Frenden take care of that for you!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there an easy way of previewing the Frenden brushes for MS5? I've got them, but the only way I know of to actually see what they look like is to individually import them into MS5 and test them on the canvas, unless I've missed something somewhere.

edit: MS5 works just fine in Windows 10 now, it just needed the new update.

Double edit: Duh, there's a screenshot for each pack right there on the store. I am an absolute cretin.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Thank you all for the information! I just remembered that my computer doesn't actually have a disc drive so buying the CD for MS4 off of Amazon would be pretty dumb! I'll wait for a bit and hope they have a sale soon, and if not I should be able to afford MS5 at base price in a paycheck or two