Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cavenagh posted:

This might work: Ottolenghi's sweetcorn polenta. Maybe soak the kernels in milk first though.

I ended up preparing the corn like I would for cheesy buttered grits and threw a spare tuna filet with spicy mayo on top. I think it ended up pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - That looks dope.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Really? I love the flavour of celery (but don't really eat raw celery ever). Celeriac is the perfect celery-flavour vessel.

Celery is more a texture to me than a flavor. Roasted or sauteed celery is a whole different ballgame, but to blend raw celery and render it into paste just seems all sorts of counter-productive.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Drifter posted:

^^^ - That looks dope.

Celery is more a texture to me than a flavor. Roasted or sauteed celery is a whole different ballgame, but to blend raw celery and render it into paste just seems all sorts of counter-productive.

Celery has a flavor a little like cucumber to me. Light, slightly sweet, crisp. Cooking it changes and concentrates the flavor, but it is essentially similar.

I like to make a gin and tonic with some celery muddled with cucumber and a cucumber garnish. Generally, just cucumber, but a little celery in there makes it more refreshing.

There's also a drink called Cel-ray if you want to taste it strongly. Or celeriac, of course, for a raw super celery flavor. I always use both celeriac and celery for celery soup.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

There's also a drink called Cel-ray if you want to taste it strongly. Or celeriac, of course, for a raw super celery flavor. I always use both celeriac and celery for celery soup.

I usually use celeriac and celery leaves. Celery flavour owns.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The only way to eat raw celery is with raisins and peanut butter. The way God, Mother Nature, and Jesus Christ America intended. :colbert:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Your lentils might be old. They dry out and take longer to cook.

Hmmm. They were bought last week, but of course that says nothing about packaging. Didn't look. Will try again.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I usually use celeriac and celery leaves. Celery flavour owns.

I fry the leaves and garnish with them. Sprig or two of thyme and nothing else, other than a bit of cultured cream and maybe some asparagus or Brussels sprouts if I've got them and need to use them up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

angor posted:

I live in the Middle East and there's no way for me to get Mexican stuff here. I have a friend coming back from the US and has graciously offered to bring stuff back for me.

I want to stock up on dried chillies. Ancho, Pasilla, Guajillo, California, Arbol, New Mexico, Negro, and Morita. Doesn't have to be ALL of them, but as many varieties I can get would be great. Preferably a kilo of each. It'll need to be shipped to Phoenix so he can pack them. Where is the best place to order something like this from?

https://www.penderys.com is where I get all of my dried chilies delivered from. You left out chipotle on your list, which needs to be remedied.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Brown Rice takes a long time to cook. If I freeze it, can I reheat it without losing the consistency?

If not, I may look into keeping some instant brown rice bowls costco sells around for sudden rice needs.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

Drifter posted:

The only way to eat raw celery is with raisins and peanut butter. The way God, Mother Nature, and Jesus Christ America intended. :colbert:

I think you meant cream cheese and paprika.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The Baroness posted:

I think you meant cream cheese and paprika.

That's a funny way to spell sumac.

(I just tried it, really good)

E: can we get a celery thread going? This thread is poppin with celery facts

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nuru posted:

Brown Rice takes a long time to cook. If I freeze it, can I reheat it without losing the consistency?

If not, I may look into keeping some instant brown rice bowls costco sells around for sudden rice needs.

It takes 45 minutes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nuru posted:

It handles being frozen wonderfully. Freeze it flat, if possible - like put it in a ziploc baggie and try to make it as thin as possible. For ease of use, mostly.

When you reheat it in the microwave, add a tablespoon or two of water per cup of rice.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It takes 45 minutes.

Which is longer than most times where a meal is, "What do I have on hand to cook with quickly?".

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any tips to get gas grease off the cover of cookbooks. I have a gas range range with very bad ventilation and all of my cook books have a light amount off grease on them. Any tips to get that off without damaging them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

vuk83 posted:

Is there any tips to get gas grease off the cover of cookbooks. I have a gas range range with very bad ventilation and all of my cook books have a light amount off grease on them. Any tips to get that off without damaging them.

A little bit of dawn dish soap on your rag/sponge, and then dry off with another towel if there's any wetness.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

nuru posted:

The medium grain brown rice I use takes 25 minutes to cook. Maybe you can find something like that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What is the best cheap meat for people who are too drained/lazy to deal with anything complicated after work? Lately we have been eating a lot of cheap brats. I had done a bunch of chicken thighs with an herb rub, but only the surface had any flavor. I also didn't like surprise mouthfuls of fat with the thighs.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Beef chuck roast on special, slow cook it with stuff. The stuff can be anything: classic american pot roast, german sauerbraten, 'italian' pot roast, chili. All easy to make, really hard to gently caress up (difficult to overcook), easy to freeze. Dump ingredients into dutch oven or slow cooker, wait a while, voila.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What is the best cheap meat for people who are too drained/lazy to deal with anything complicated after work? Lately we have been eating a lot of cheap brats. I had done a bunch of chicken thighs with an herb rub, but only the surface had any flavor. I also didn't like surprise mouthfuls of fat with the thighs.

You can cook thighs a little longer and the fat will render off. They're not delicate pieces of poo poo like chicken breasts. The only effort on your end is that you'll have to forget about them for a while longer while they cook a little more.

Look into braising them if you'd prefer stronger flavour.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I bought some mushrooms and want to cook them all at once and store them, about how long would they last being ziploc'd and thrown in the fridge?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

I bought some mushrooms and want to cook them all at once and store them, about how long would they last being ziploc'd and thrown in the fridge?

Just in a fridge, I'd say they'll last a week or two, easy. I regularly saute and store them in a glass airtight container and they're definitely good for 10 days. I've never kept them longer than that because I eat them.

A year or so?

If you are going to saute them I'd add a little oil into the baggie you freeze them in, just because. If you just wanna blanch them well...be sure to dry them off a bit first, I guess. I don't know.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 3, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Perfect, these should be gone by then. Gonna throw mushrooms on everything :getin:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a method to keep the leaves of Shanghai bok choy from turning yellow by the fifth or sixth day of refrigeration?

My local asian mart sells it pre-bagged, and it's always more than I use, unless I learn more recipes or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, the Hannibal tv series is being cancelled. I'm hosting a series finale dinner at the end of the month. I'd like some advice on the menu, whether the order needs to be changed or if there's something that doesn't fit and should be replaced, etc:

- fruit plate
- oyster with chardonnay
- batter fried lamb brain with parsley sauce
- roasted (lamb?) heart with carrot and potato
- punch romaine (champagne rum and orange juice on shaved ice)
- lamb merguez sausages
- smoked roast (lamb? pork loin? pork belly? beef?) with some sweet sauce
- bone marrow ice cream on blood brownies

Questions:
Should I go with a salad instead of a fruit plate?
What vegetable side would go with the lamb sausage?
Is there a particular beef cut that would fit inside a cake dome and lends well to being smoked?
What side would go well with a smoked roast?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

goodness posted:

I wonder if the FDA has done a study on the bacteria in dirty pillows or their computer chair. Probably a lot worse.
I don't know of anything that would count as a study (that is, something subject to peer review), but culturing poo poo off household items is something that gets done for TV shows, news programmes, and that kind of thing. And it turns out pretty much like you'd expect---pillows are usually harbouring a large quantity of bacteria, most of which are human skin, oral, and GI bacteria. And it turns out you can't really get sick from poo poo that's coming from you in the first place. So if you're worried about it, I guess avoid borrowing pillows from hobos.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It's not 100% solid yet, but you can find bacteria (e.g. lactobacillus) on plants that are considered beneficial in other kinds of food like yogurt.
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-08575-3_44
`Not 100% solid' is being very generous.

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a method to keep the leaves of Shanghai bok choy from turning yellow by the fifth or sixth day of refrigeration?

My local asian mart sells it pre-bagged, and it's always more than I use, unless I learn more recipes or something.
Kimchi.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there a big difference in taste/consistency if I roll instead of stretch the pizza dough? Some pizzeria Youtubes only stretch it, can't say that I noticed that big of a difference.... but it's been a while since I last made pizza.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What method are you cooking it?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Doom Rooster posted:

https://www.penderys.com is where I get all of my dried chilies delivered from. You left out chipotle on your list, which needs to be remedied.

Placed a huge order. Added chipotle. Thanks!!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
How well does pork sirloin roast hold up to slow cooking? I grabbed some on special and I was thinking to make Serious Eats's chile verde recipe using it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

How well does pork sirloin roast hold up to slow cooking? I grabbed some on special and I was thinking to make Serious Eats's chile verde recipe using it.

For the record, I had a pork sirloin roast last week and made pork bulgogi with it. It was terrific. In case you want to try something sorta unique with a strange (at least to me) cut.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr. Wookums posted:

What method are you cooking it?

Cooking? I put the pizza in the oven.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Questions:

Fruit plate should be fine, but look at the food in the show as inspiration. Don't do cantaloupe and pineapple, do pomegranate and other dark fruit, maybe with something very pale for contrast.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
TL; DR: Is there a Goontested Pirozhki?

My theater group is presenting Chekhov's "Uncle Vanya" to a 10 person audience on two nights this weekend, and they are also being given food and drink between acts.

There isn't a lot of prep space, so cold and pre-made foods are the order. I volunteered to make a bunch of Pirohzki's, even though I've never made them, because I recently acquired something that looks like a very large dumpling press (6" diameter crimping thing), I have some oxtail in my freezer that I thought would make a great pie filling, and I loving love all savory pie and dumpling like things.

Researching recipes has yielded a lot of questions:

- Yeast dough or pastry dough?

- Baked or fried?

- What is a good "Russian" flavor profile? DIll and sour cream seem to show up a lot in vegetable dishes.

- I only have 5 pounds of oxtail. I'm hoping to end up with 40 or 50 little pies. Should I add some bacon and/or some other beef?

Here's the basic plan I've been formulating in my head:

1. Some time before the weekend, brown the oxtails in a bunch of butter and dump them in a crockpot with some stock, red wine, and probably some worcestershire for 8 hours or so.

2. Separately: Cook some diced potatoes, carrots, browned onions, and cabbage.

3. Cook up some beets and beet greens.

4. Make a vegetarian filling for about third of them out of the beets and some of the veggies. Dump the rest of the veggies in with the oxtail and then let it meld in the fridge. De-scum, season and add dill and sour cream.

5. Make a dough like this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/traditional-russian-pirozhki/?scale=60&ismetric=0

6. Bake them all the day of the thing and refrigerate half of them for the second day. Will they keep OK like that or should I bake them just for each day?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When I made bierocks, which are pretty much a larger, Volga Mennonite version of pierogies / pirozhkis / transliteration, I froze them and they came out just fine. Maybe they would have been better fresher, but not enough to be worth it. Refrigerating them for a day should be even less of an issue. That way you have one less thing to Chekhov your list.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, the Hannibal tv series is being cancelled. I'm hosting a series finale dinner at the end of the month. I'd like some advice on the menu, whether the order needs to be changed or if there's something that doesn't fit and should be replaced, etc:

- fruit plate
- oyster with chardonnay
- batter fried lamb brain with parsley sauce
- roasted (lamb?) heart with carrot and potato
- punch romaine (champagne rum and orange juice on shaved ice)
- lamb merguez sausages
- smoked roast (lamb? pork loin? pork belly? beef?) with some sweet sauce
- bone marrow ice cream on blood brownies

Questions:
What vegetable side would go with the lamb sausage?
Is there a particular beef cut that would fit inside a cake dome and lends well to being smoked?
What side would go well with a smoked roast?

I am seriously disappointed that I have to be the first to suggest you prepare ortolan.

I don't think it's banned in the U.S. at least!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

I am seriously disappointed that I have to be the first to suggest you prepare ortolan.

I don't think it's banned in the U.S. at least!

While he's at it he should just pick up some stray kittens, drown them in chocolate sauce and then sprinkle powdered sugar on top of them.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Drifter posted:

While he's at it he should just pick up some stray kittens, drown them in chocolate sauce and then sprinkle powdered sugar on top of them.

Ugh, that's horrible.

At least get the fur off first, and then debone them. Siamese Galantine, maybe?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3LO9H_Yq0

I don't normally dislike people, but the people in this video just piss me off for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3LO9H_Yq0

I don't normally dislike people, but the people in this video just piss me off for some reason.

Chefsteps guys are the cool hipster cats.