Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm definitely buying another monitor once I have the money to spend. Preferably a nice super-wide one, and I'll put my current one vertically for coding. But I don't have anywhere near the money to spend on the kind of monitor I want, and my only spare monitor right now is a 20" CRT that I don't think would take well to being arm-mounted. Is there a way to tell if my monitor has the proper screw placement for an aftermarket mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a way to tell if my monitor has the proper screw placement for an aftermarket mount?

Either look for "VESA Mount" or some variant thereof on Newegg/Amazon/Manufacturers website, or just look on the back for four holes in a square. You may need to remove the stand to find them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I got a cheap rear end 70 dollar desk from amazon 4 years back but I kinda want a new one that looks a lot nicer and also doesn't block my patio's door.

Was thinking about getting one of those gladiator workbenches since they're on sale, but I'm not sure. I'll probably be replacing my computer and monitor this fall with the black friday sales and will probably go for an ultrawidescreen monitor and a mini ITX form factor PC that I can put on the desk, so I'll need more desktop space.

Any thoughts on getting one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiato...6MTZG/204246902

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I got a cheap rear end 70 dollar desk from amazon 4 years back but I kinda want a new one that looks a lot nicer and also doesn't block my patio's door.

Was thinking about getting one of those gladiator workbenches since they're on sale, but I'm not sure. I'll probably be replacing my computer and monitor this fall with the black friday sales and will probably go for an ultrawidescreen monitor and a mini ITX form factor PC that I can put on the desk, so I'll need more desktop space.

Any thoughts on getting one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiato...6MTZG/204246902

There are a few people that have them in this thread and they look/work great.

Off the top of my head, you can look for Dema's post.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

With that sort of thing, do you have to fasten on a keyboard tray, or is it low enough you can just put your mouse and keyboard on top?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

With that sort of thing, do you have to fasten on a keyboard tray, or is it low enough you can just put your mouse and keyboard on top?

The table's height is adjustable so..

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh. I should have noticed that.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Finally got around to taking a picture of desk after getting the 40" 4K monitor about a month and a half ago. At this point I basically have no room to put anything else on the desk and still have space for a laptop that I occasionally need for work. Even as it is I couldn't find a good spot for the DAC/headphone amp.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

:10bux: says that dog is named "Ein".

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

IUG posted:

:10bux: says that dog is named "Ein".

Nah, that's too cliched. Her name is Fenny, short for Fenchurch. :hfive: to anyone who gets the reference.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Nah, that's too cliched. Her name is Fenny, short for Fenchurch. :hfive: to anyone who gets the reference.

I should have (not) wagered 42 dollars then.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

IUG posted:

I should have (not) wagered 42 dollars then.

:cheers:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't know if that's real or a troll.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

El Scotch posted:

I don't know if that's real or a troll.

Not sure what about it makes you think it's a troll, but I'm sorry that it doesn't conform to your standards of what a desktop should look like.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GokieKS posted:

Not sure what about it makes you think it's a troll, but I'm sorry that it doesn't conform to your standards of what a desktop should look like.

Don't take it too personally. Having a buncha screens with anime backgrounds is sort of a running joke in this thread.

For a while people were posting pics of their desks with guns and jugs of milk on them and the most *weeaboo* desktop backgrounds they could find.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GokieKS posted:

Finally got around to taking a picture of desk after getting the 40" 4K monitor about a month and a half ago. At this point I basically have no room to put anything else on the desk and still have space for a laptop that I occasionally need for work. Even as it is I couldn't find a good spot for the DAC/headphone amp.

What's your electric bill like?

EDIT: As an I.T. person I bet this is what my coworkers assume my home setup looks like.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Don't take it too personally. Having a buncha screens with anime backgrounds is sort of a running joke in this thread.

For a while people were posting pics of their desks with guns and jugs of milk on them and the most *weeaboo* desktop backgrounds they could find.

The wallpapers are just on a random rotation, and most of them aren't actually anime-related, especially for the 4K screen (since the most common 4K wallpaper available are just high-resolution photos).

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: As an I.T. person I bet this is what my coworkers assume my home setup looks like.

Looking over the graph provided by my electric company, average per day in each month ranges from about 13 to 27 kWh/day (with A/C being obviously the primary differentiating factor). Comes out to be about $55 - $130/month.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

GokieKS posted:

Digging the LACK rack :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GokieKS posted:

The wallpapers are just on a random rotation, and most of them aren't actually anime-related, especially for the 4K screen (since the most common 4K wallpaper available are just high-resolution photos).

gently caress the haters, Summer Wars is the poo poo.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
1440p is bigger than I thought it was.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress the haters, Summer Wars is the poo poo.

Yes it is! :hfive:

Prescription Combs posted:

Digging the LACK rack :v:

Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised to find that the LACK coffee table is the perfect size for holding a 4U, and unlike with the cheapest LACK table you don't need multiple to fit a long 4U enclosure.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GokieKS posted:

Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised to find that the LACK coffee table is the perfect size for holding a 4U, and unlike with the cheapest LACK table you don't need multiple to fit a long 4U enclosure.

Huh, that's a pretty tidy solution.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

DethMarine21 posted:

Welp, here's what 3 years of "progress" looks like.

I love having a vertical 16:10 monitor; it makes reading comic books data sheets so much easier.

You definitely like the blue-black color scheme like I do. Nice keyboard - I guess you mixed and matched the keycaps to get that effect? Looks like you painted the side of that Cooler Master faceplate to navy blue, too? I don't think they sell them like that. Nice look!

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was still employed and working from home (Systems/Network engineer) this is not far off what my home office setup looked like. Only this one has more anime and is far more organised than mine.

On the plus side it was the best room in the house during the winter months.

Now that I am just an unemployed bum I just have one monitor and system like a regular person. Its nice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm glad you still haven't gotten murdered. I know you can't say anything about it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

PCPartPicker for the internals.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Odette posted:

PCPartPicker for the internals.

What's the monitor / monitor arm?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

kimcicle posted:

What's the monitor / monitor arm?

ASUS VE248H, the monitor arm is an old dual-monitor stand that I got off the equivalent of Craigslist. Can't find it anymore, and the monitor stands that I can find look terrible/cheap/flimsy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why not just wall mount?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Probably an apartment with a damage deposit.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Probably an apartment with a damage deposit.

Bingo. Desk clamp mount is also quite portable.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
For monitor arms, hard to go wrong with Ergotron. Not cheap, but well made and worth the money IMO. In fact, I just bought one for my 40" so I can finally have any sort of adjustment at all on it, though I still can't put it as high as I'd like due to the limits of the stands that my other 2 monitors have.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Slightly off-topic but theres a lot of talk about VESA mounts in here so figured it is the best place to ask.
I have a 32" TV that I want to put on a small TV stand that has wheels. To keep the TV from tumpling over, I am looking for a vesa mount for a 32" that I can mount vertically and attach firmly to the stand (preferably with screws).

In short I a monitor desk arm but with screws instead of a clamp, any suggestions?

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

My Instagram is blowin' up 24/7.

GokieKS posted:

For monitor arms, hard to go wrong with Ergotron. Not cheap, but well made and worth the money IMO. In fact, I just bought one for my 40" so I can finally have any sort of adjustment at all on it, though I still can't put it as high as I'd like due to the limits of the stands that my other 2 monitors have.

seconded, I have this same unit and it's well worth the money.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

does that desk convert into a standing? What is that, it's classy as gently caress.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Photex posted:

does that desk convert into a standing? What is that, it's classy as gently caress.

It's adjustable height, but it looks like adjusting the height is a pain in the rear end especially if the table is loaded, and I think it doesn't go nearly high enough to act as a good standing desk.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Iirc that is an ikea desk right? Which model is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It's from the desk bar. The tabletop and legs are sold separately.

The point behind the pegs is to make the tabletop slant adjustable (to make a writing or drafting/drawing surface). It doesn't go high enough to be a standing desk in its stock form, but lots of people mod theirs to do so. Kits are available online but I think the DIY instructions are also easy to find and carry out if you're relatively tool-savvy.

The desk bar doesn't get enough recommendation, I think, but it's a good place to get a relatively sturdy, attractive desk cheaply. I've had mine for about 3 years and I've been super happy with it.