Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Put a new tensioner pulley on my LS1 trans am. Still some light pulley and belt noise but no more loud chirping under hood. Checking other things found out the hard way I need an alignment. Don't want to spend $300 on two tires so I'm attempting to find a stock set of wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Used a hacksaw to cut the last bushing sleeve from the old shackle, used the ball joint press to zip a new one in. Popped the 9/16 bolt Chevy bushings out of the Chevy springs and put some International ones with a 5/8 bolt hole and slightly shorter inner bushings in. Fortunately the new bushings popped out with a bfh and a impact socket I don't use often. The ball joint press and Milwaukee cordless impact drives them straight and speedy.

Then rode the struggle bus putting a tire on the axle off truck and lifted it on end for easier painting. It was like a lovely strong man competition.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Abjectly failed to change the rear brakes over the weekend, gave up and let the garage do it along with the torn CV boot.

I want to work on my own car but it's stressful when it's your only transport. All I need is a second car, and a flat driveway, and a garage, and, and... :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah the hell with working on your only pseudo street legal ride, I did that from fall 2013 through summer 2014 and never again. I keep two crapcans legal and marginally driveable now.

Related: now that the Justy is fixed again, I drove it to the airport for my flight to the bay area. Sanfran/san jose AI goons: I am in your base, chilling with your dudes. There will be a lot of junkyards and beer involved, who wants to go?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Abjectly failed to swap out my swaybar bushings and end links. While the bushing mounts came off without a hitch, only one bolt will fit back in the hole it came out of. :suicide:

Trying to force one, hoping I needed to break through some corrosion or something, just resulted in chewing up the threads. :suicide:

The end link bolts just plain won't break free. I'd bust out the air tools, but after the rest of the morning, I'm pretty sure that would just round the heads off in an instant.

Good times all around.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ugggh so loving black. I asked for a slightly darker black but they were out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

StormDrain posted:

Ugggh so loving black. I asked for a slightly darker black but they were out.

The answer is none. None more black.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
New rear sway bar :banjo:

New Steeda bar vs stock mushy Ford bar

Don't have a chance to really stress it out today but I'll be doing some thorough testing tomorrow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The answer is none. None more black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUNc6yxp2g

I'm loving beat today. I've installed Chevy 4" lift springs on my International, and removed the factory 2" lift blocks. What did that do? I took measurements from the ground to the top of the flatbed rail, and went from 41" on the drivers side to 45 1/2". That's about 3 inches more than I was expecting, since I've heard Chevy springs on my truck would give an inch less of lift than they would on a Chevy, and I was pulling a goddamn 2" steel block out. Apparently 4" - 1" - 2" + (40 year old spring sag) = 4".

They were still only half the cost of having new springs made to the old spec and maybe they'll sag a bit. The shackles are perfectly upright too, which is nice, shows they're about right. The drive shaft has good travel available on the slide portion, and everything except the shocks fit.

I also made new hard brake lines from Cunifer, replaced the passenger side wheel cylinder, put the drum brakes back together, mounted the entire axle obviously, I removed the driveshaft and painted it IH Off White (I feel like I'm going to regret that but it looks sharp now), and... that's it. My U-bolts were too short so paid an extra $6 each to get them rightfuckingnow and got a Hat from the woman at NAPA. All I need are new shocks, to fill the diff with oil, and bleed the brakes.

Then drive around the block, and put the truck back in the garage in the opposite direction to do the front. :suicide:

IH Off white shaft.

Look at this rake! Shelves level for reference.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Sanfran/san jose AI goons: I am in your base, chilling with your dudes. There will be a lot of junkyards and beer involved, who wants to go?

You should post this in the chat thread. Maybe you did and I missed it with the changing of the thread. I'm a san jose goon who is currently out of the area, so I'm of no help at all, but maybe there's a Viper in your future?

How long ya here for?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Changed out a faulty brake light switch.
Sprayed grease all over the squeaky clutch linkage.
Noticed rust on the weld points of the subframe. Its only been through 3 northeast winters.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Started getting to my hosed wrx wheel bearing. Realized that the abs sensor and the axle are hosed so I'm in a holding pattern till those come in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Finished up pretty much all the paint details on the Civic. Just gotta stick the painted trim on with some 3M tomorrow and it should be all set to sell. Spent a bit too much time on this car but hopefully I get a few bucks back in profit.
I also did some more work on my friend's Focus, did an oil change for her and replaced the rear hatch reflector so her wiper nozzle would function again. Little by little her car will be safe again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Bled rear brakes, ordered new longer shocks. All I need is some torquing of bolts, oil in the differential, said shocks and the rear is done.

Shocks don't get here until Friday if I'm lucky, so perhaps I'll take a bouncy ride around the block to get the front springs started. Preliminary measurements indicate I'll be able to get the truck out of the garage on new springs, with 1 1/2 inches of clearance, and a safety factor of a sloped driveway and some air in the tires.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I POR-15'd my frame.

Then I used it to haul some stuff.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Bought some high mileage 10w40 to put in the T/A when it gets to the point of being a quart low. I've read some people have had luck running high mileage heavy weight oil to stop minor leaks which my car appears to have. Also bought some paint for the wheels. I was planning on chasing down my slightly squeaky pulley but that is being pushed off for tomorrow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Torqued my u-bolts and shackles now that it's on the ground, pulled the old shocks off entirely since new ones are in the mail. Put on the lube locker and filled the differential, then took a mildly bouncy ride around the block and backed it in the garage so I could start work on the front suspension.

It's great fun to back a truck into a garage uphill when you have to align the flatbed with only a few inches of clearance, on a cold motor so you get to three foot the drat thing. Add in a suspicion that the headache rack might touch the top of the garage with this geometry, mirrors that have to be folded in all of the way to fit, and a quarter sized hole in the exhaust below the driver and you've got a real E-Ticket ride.

In the annoying timing department, when I shut the hood before pulling out, the rear bolt on the passenger side hood hinge came loose entirely. Rather, the sheet metal surrounding the bolt hole crumbled into nothing. There's a little play in it now and it's a two-step process to shut the hood. I may as well take that fender off entirely so I can get to work patching that in, it'll give me some clearance for removing the springs anyway. And I can paint it with POR 15 while I've got it apart - the timing is actually not too bad now that I think about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Found a 2003 Grand Marquis in the wrecking yard with minimal damage, and pulled out the seats and carpet for my P71 crown Vic a while back.
Put the back seat and carpet in last weekend. Just plopped the carpet right over the cop-spec rubber floor mat. It was thin enough that there was no problem, and I should get a little bit more sound and heat barrier out of it.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Cleaned all of the lower plastics while they were out to fit the carpet, too.

Front seats will be dealt with later. I'd like to keep my center console, so may have to do some modifications to the Grand Marq seats.

Also grabbed the underdash panels with courtesy lights, and the headlight switch and daylight sensor out of the Grand Marquis. A little under-the-dash wiring needed for that, and it's finally blazing hot and humid here in TX, so that will likely wait for a month or two.
Need to build another subwoofer box specifically for the CV's trunk shelf - the test box sounds fine, but it's your basic cube, and takes up a third of the cargo well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hard to see but that is the inner fender as viewed from the outside. I removed a gas vapor expansion tank which was mounted there, and the other side is where the hood hinges mount. The place where the rearmost bolt attaches has completely rusted away, two layers of sheet metal gone. Thankfully there's enough left that I can build a patch panel rather than spending $40 on a premade one, and I can justify buying a small brake.

With the front suspension at full drop the shocks are limiting my flex, which I guess is good since the brake lines are taught too. I put the new spring against the old one and the new spring has more curve loose than the old one at full droop. Both the shock and line are the specified equipment, so I'm in a weird place. I'd rather have more travel, so I think I'll be taking another trip through the shock catalog to fine a suitable replacement and getting some brake hoses made up.

It was hard to stop there but the next step for my front spring replacement was much more involved than I was interested in.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Changed the oil in the Abarth and swapped the grey mirror caps for the red ones from our beater 500. I'll plastidip the old Abarth caps white to match the stripes and wheels I'm throwing on the red one.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Hopefully got this pig to stop squealing:

Replaced the tensioner pulley a few days ago only to have the chirp come back. Got it isolated to the idler pulley on the drive belt. Quick test start and rev and no more squawk :buddy: I really wish it stays that way when I start it up tomorrow morning :ohdear:

Next step: some better looking wheels for the thrillbilly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Next step: some better looking wheels for the thrillbilly.

Nah man, salad shooters own

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
I've toyed with painting them black. The plastidip is sitting in the backseat. Maybe next weekend.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I've toyed with painting them black. The plastidip is sitting in the backseat. Maybe next weekend.

I think it's perfect just the way it is, but the nice thing about plastidip is that you don't have to commit.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
i buckled one of my front rims driving on our perfect city roads and no one can sell me a pair right now

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For once I got to just drive my poo poo boxes. 300 miles on the Justy in the last two days and it is getting 31mpg doing 70-75 with the CEL on and seeming almost reliable.

Still needs balance chain and timing belt work, figure out what code it is throwing, and maybe wheel bearings soon. Oh, and rustproofing and order some studded tires for it, winter is approaching fast.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I added some mud flaps and some cheap-O $10 tint because it gets hot in there with no A/C.

It also got new exhaust because the old one broke. But that is what you get when you buy a 22 yo pile.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Pulled the ac belt off the thrillbilly and an attempt to isolate my squeaking. So far so good, cross your fingers something doesn't develop over the night.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Not a car but I worked on it today anyway. I bought a mid-90s Hero Gizmo Majestic (50cc moped from India) earlier today and spent the evening getting it to run. Got it for a song since parts are pretty much impossible to source. Someone was mean to the carburetor and it needed an air filter. Ended up at the dirtbike shop and bought a pod filter that fit. Got one that's basically a spring on the inside then I used zipties to shorten it until it cleared the pedals. Runs like a champ!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Finally made a build thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735359

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
2003 Suburban was going into "Reduced Power Mode" which meant a max speed of about 20mph, really loving awesome on the expressway! Showing codes for throttle position sensor, and since it was the original throttle body with 205,000 miles on it I replaced the throttle body with a new sensor on it, $166 overnighted from amazon, parts stores wanted $200+ and would still be next day. Still going into Reduced Power Mode but now the code is for TAC to PCM, looked online and a common problem is the wiring from the throttle body, or loose ground wires. Well it ended up being a loose (ground?) wire between the back of the motor and the firewall. Cleaned up and re-attached, no problems since.

I'm telling myself that the suburban runs better now with the new throttle body on it and that I didn't just waste $166 :colbert:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Changed the oil in the Abarth and swapped the grey mirror caps for the red ones from our beater 500. I'll plastidip the old Abarth caps white to match the stripes and wheels I'm throwing on the red one.

Dude, don't put motor oil in your bong!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

subscribed. I'll help you get a kickstarter and source a porsche motor if you let me drive it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

subscribed. I'll help you get a kickstarter and source a subaru motor if you let me drive it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

PlastiDipped the chrome whiskers black to match the new black badges I put on the other week.

Before:

After:

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Also subscribed. I can live vicariously through you now that I don't have a car I work on anymore :(

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Attempted to wrap spoiler with vinyl.

Note to self take off spoiler completely before trying... will give it another go next week.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Put in a cool-ish air intake from Mountune. Next up has gotta be a huge intercooler from Dead Hook.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
A little (entire can) of rubbing compound to get rid of the mostly oily gunky fingerprint paint job. A rotella t6 oil change to try and shut the lifters up and a new HVAC control panel because the old one was gross looking.

It's almost not a trashy looking car again. Almost.

Still dreading the fun times of pulling every disintegrated bushing out of the suspension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It finally looks kind of like a motor again! :woop:

Just gotta finish putting on the windage tray and oil pan and bolting down the intake for real (need the little gasket thingies for the steam tubes), then I can see how it plugs into this lil guy: