Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I've mostly heard bacon being called slices or strips. It took me a while to get used to British bacon and now I miss it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, so it's bacon? Insert joke about Brits having lovely teeth here.

I've heard the UK keeps the bones in the bacon. Confirm/Deny?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

27,000 block? Holy poo poo, everything is bigger in tejas

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

It makes sense that a city of strippers would have a blowjob test

Cumslut1895 has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Aug 2, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Das Boo posted:

I saw the word "rasher" and without ever having heard it before or even knowing what it was, I knew it must be British.

Wrong!

Irish actually - Swords is in north county Dublin, but to be fair, we do use a lot of the same food terminology as they do over there.

Choco1980 posted:

I've heard the UK keeps the bones in the bacon. Confirm/Deny?

I'm only familiar with irish rashers and I'd cautiously deny this - you might occasionally come across a hard bit but it wouldn't be a regular thing.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Aug 2, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Not british but we call them rashers in Aus too and this is the first I've heard of boned bacon.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
British but vegetarian, but if you find bones in your bacon you should probably sue the pig

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe in Britain, but over here suing pigs just gets you constant harassment.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I never saw bones in my bacon. Here are some bacons:

Left is Canadian, upper right is US and lower right is British. All of them are delicious.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Karma Monkey posted:

Left is Canadian, upper right is US and lower right is British. All of them are delicious.

We have the upper-right style (streaky) in the UK too. All from the same magical animal.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Karma Monkey posted:

What's wrong with the Canadians? Bacon is supposed to come from the back or belly where all the fat is, not the loin which has too much lean.

BgRdMchne has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Aug 2, 2015

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nobody in Canada calls that bacon. That's ham.

Canadians do have a unique bacon, called peameal bacon. It's basically the round part of the English bacon rolled in cornmeal, pickled and sliced. You want to call something 'Canadian bacon,' it should be that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dennis the Menace used to have a pet pig called Rasher.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

When I was a kid, giving someone a "rasher" was a common school prank - you used a swift swipe of steel ruler to "slice" a rasher off their arse, all done while shouting "Rasher!"

Fun times.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dennis the Menace used to have a pet pig called Rasher.

Not our Dennis the Menace :patriot:

The UK Dennis the Menace is more menacing. The U.S. Dennis the Menace is mostly just annoying.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir SIR if you can't do this blowjob properly I'm going to have to put you under arrest. Now, start again please.

Keep blowing, keep blowing

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Stoatbringer posted:

We have the upper-right style (streaky) in the UK too. All from the same magical animal.

Sure, Lisa

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

davidspackage posted:

Sir SIR if you can't do this blowjob properly I'm going to have to put you under arrest. Now, start again please.

Keep blowing, keep blowing

And less teeth this time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BgRdMchne posted:

What's wrong with the Canadians? Bacon is supposed to come from the back or belly where all the fat is, not the loin which has too much lean.

Nobody in Canada actually eats that stuff.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RandomFerret posted:

Nobody in Canada calls that bacon. That's ham.

Canadians do have a unique bacon, called peameal bacon. It's basically the round part of the English bacon rolled in cornmeal, pickled and sliced. You want to call something 'Canadian bacon,' it should be that.

I thought peameal bacon was what other people call Canadian bacon so now I'm very confused.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Didn't the White House recently troll Fox News by leaving off the "News" part off their seating cards at the correspondent's dinner?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Didn't the White House recently troll Fox News by leaving off the "News" part off their seating cards at the correspondent's dinner?

I thought they had to change their name to Fox News Entertainment at one point for truth in advertising.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

syscall girl posted:

I thought they had to change their name to Fox News Entertainment at one point for truth in advertising.

I don't think so; but there was a case where a court determined that they can lie, since calling yourself news doesn't mean you have to tell the truth.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The exact way they get around it is by having opinion shows where people say crazy poo poo, then news shows that report on the crazy poo poo that people said. It's rather brilliant, actually.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pththya-lyi posted:

The exact way they get around it is by having opinion shows where people say crazy poo poo, then news shows that report on the crazy poo poo that people said. It's rather brilliant, actually.

It's quite cool how awesome Murdoch is at being a jerkass but it would be even cooler if he dedicated his talents towards good.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Like I can't even be mad about it anymore. I don't think he can help himself. It's like a force of nature, or a James Bond villain.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Frostwerks posted:

Like I can't even be mad about it anymore. I don't think he can help himself. It's like a force of nature, or a James Bond villain.

No that was based on Bill Gates, any insinuation that it was based on Rupert Murdoch will be met with a lawsuit!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Hotlinking doesn't work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, my mistake. Can't access any image uploading sites while I'm at work and hoped that would do until I could replace it. :shobon:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mulva posted:

I don't think so; but there was a case where a court determined that they can lie, since calling yourself news doesn't mean you have to tell the truth.

This is how Chinese media absolved themselves from fault after reporting an Onion story as real.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
19th Century tabloid "Illustrated Police News" had some pretty amazing headlines.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

So, whats the French remedy?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Unfiltered cigarettes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cacafuego posted:

Félix Faure.

:v:

Anyway, here's the picture I wanted to post earlier - the Grauniad gets pretty dark:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

19th Century tabloid "Illustrated Police News" had some pretty amazing headlines.

There are great and are there more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

quote:

A Nearly white sparrow has been shot at Pattingham, near Wolverhampton. The bird was slightly streaked with brown, but the white preponderated.

London Journal, 29 December 1883