Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lurdiak posted:

This is just that part in FF7 where we get to see Sephiroth's tragic backstory.

Anthony Carver: The One Handed Angel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Kind of confused how anyone thought he didn't have a tragic backstory before this? We all knew he had to watch his wife die while he could do nothing and then see his daughter go through the same fate. It didn't excuse his horribly lovely behavior towards Annie then and it doesn't excuse it now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yeah the idea that Tony has had lovely horrible experiences is both A) not new and B) not justification for being a tremendous, abusive rear end.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Also note: "She didn't want her child born in this place" rather than, say, "our child". That's not exactly a healthy attitude to take towards your own daughter - "Nope, nothing to do with me - she's Surma's kid".

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Itzena posted:

Also note: "She didn't want her child born in this place" rather than, say, "our child". That's not exactly a healthy attitude to take towards your own daughter - "Nope, nothing to do with me - she's Surma's kid".

Makes me think she's actually not his but James's. There's obviously still a lot of history to be uncovered here.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Or maybe it's just a very stern british way of putting it. If Surma kept saying "I don't want my child raised in the court, that place is awful", Anthony might just be retelling it in the same tense.

I don't think he's a heroic figure by any stretch, but each new page makes him seem progressively less and less evil and more just.. done with the life he had.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Osmosisch posted:

Makes me think she's actually not his but James's. There's obviously still a lot of history to be uncovered here.

Oh man, that would be a ridiculously dramatic reveal that Annie doesn't need. But I seriously doubt it. She looks so much like young Tony.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've never thought that Anthony was evil. Just maladjusted, and maladjusted people can do bad things as a result of their lack of/resistance to socialization.

Remember, this might be the only person in the world that Anthony is capable of talking to honestly instead of just instinctively shutting down and retreating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Itzena posted:

Maybe she just said "I don't want my daughter to be born there" and that's how he remembers he saying it? Like chillax, it's not all DEEP LORE and PSYCHOLOGY TIME. It's a pretty straight forward thing going down right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GodFish posted:

Kind of confused how anyone thought he didn't have a tragic backstory before this? We all knew he had to watch his wife die while he could do nothing and then see his daughter go through the same fate. It didn't excuse his horribly lovely behavior towards Annie then and it doesn't excuse it now.

Yyep. I assumed there was a human somewhere behind the facade, but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I've never thought that Anthony was evil. Just maladjusted, and maladjusted people can do bad things as a result of their lack of/resistance to socialization.

Remember, this might be the only person in the world that Anthony is capable of talking to honestly instead of just instinctively shutting down and retreating.

I've always been of the mind that evil is in actions, not intent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I've always been of the mind that evil is in actions, not intent.
"What is the nature of evil" is an entire different philosophical question.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JT Jag posted:

"What is the nature of evil" is an entire different philosophical question.

What can change the nature of a man, tho?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

What can change the nature of a man, tho?
You, forums poster Lurdiak, as you changed MY nature forever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That Anthony Carver isn't abusive out of D&D-like chaotic evil malice, but out of personal flaws and that the intentions behind his actions aren't bad even though the results are isn't a new development, folks. Lots of goons seem to operate on the superheroic assumption that evil exists because of mustache-twirling, puppy-kicking villains going "mwahahaha I love being evil it makes me feel like an evil man who is evil because I am evil! Evil!" and that's why they can't compute anymore that Anthony Carver isn't one such caricature despite his horrible treatment of his daughter. You know the saying that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Anthony isn't evil for evil's sake, he's still a bad father even though he most probably means well for Annie.

Donald Donlan, by allowing Annie to see his dad without his mask, is doing great work, because Anthony's worst failing as a father is keeping his mask up around his daughter.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You guys are dumb , stop talking about the pointless superficial aspects of the comic yeesh.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Osmosisch posted:

That would be going into soap opera levels of drama there. I think this comic is dramatic enough, don't you?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Maybe half elementals don't need a human male to reproduce, they just start incubating a baby whenever they start running out of fuel in the old one so to speak. Surma self-impregnated. The similarities are because she chose him but they never boned.

Tony is mainly bitter over this 16 year blue balling he got. He chopped off his own hand because he's a good Catholic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Paramemetic posted:

Tony is mainly bitter over this 16 year blue balling he got. He chopped off his own hand because he's a good Catholic.
:agreed:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Anthony Carver: The One Handed Angel

One winged wanker

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Tom: "And now to make you love him."

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It feels so neat, to be constantly right about a character.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"So Tony you're being distant with Annie to try and protect her from The Court?"

"No she's just a thick and I hate her"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Blackheart posted:

It feels so neat, to be constantly right about a character.

Yeah, Tony having done nothing wrong continuing to be true is pretty nice.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Whoa there, you're getting a little too blatant

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Her room is too big and that's about it, but it'll be awesome if he gets her a bunch of Hot Wheel tracks and junk, girls like Hot Wheels right? No? Well then Tony is the devil.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She plays third wheel and fire is hot, so maybe she does.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Hot Wheels is more of a Kat kind of thing.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

YF-23 posted:

Hot Wheels is more of a Kat kind of thing.

As far as we know. By next week we'll laugh that we ever even saw Kat in such a way.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Maybe Annie could get into running and paint a track on the floor. I can't really think of something she could use the space for that she'd likely be into, but I'm not sure what her interests are outside of burning things, solving mysteries, and karate which doesn't require that large of a space.

Kat could use it for a million loving things.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Can't wait to see how "Couldn't bear to show my face around here" and "Sent Antimony to study here" mesh together.

I can foresee "I came back because the Court told me about the cheating and I realised I was failing someone, once again."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Could be that Anthony gave Annie a giant white room so that she could fill it and decorate it the way she likes instead of having someone else's aesthetic preferences imposed on her.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Maybe Tom was just being lazy and didn't feel like drawing a big ol room of stuff

what a bad artist

shame

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Could be that Anthony gave Annie a giant white room so that she could fill it and decorate it the way she likes instead of having someone else's aesthetic preferences imposed on her.

He got her a gigantic room so she could have all her friends over at once so she doesn't lose touch with her former classmates.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

maswastaken posted:

Can't wait to see how "Couldn't bear to show my face around here" and "Sent Antimony to study here" mesh together.

I can foresee "I came back because the Court told me about the cheating and I realised I was failing someone, once again."

I get the feeling that the latter might not have been his choice. It might have been part of the bargain for giving him the resources to study Surma's condition.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Slime posted:

He got her a gigantic room so she could have all her friends over at once so she doesn't lose touch with her former classmates.
He's surprised and a little confused that she's not held her first rave in it yet - why, when he was her age, him and the rest of the gang were in some abandoned Court warehouse every Friday night, him up front spinning the platters with Surma and Anya providing the light shows. :v:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I guess Tony wouldn't know about her drunken fireworks show in the forest.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

He'd probably know about the cow-based laser show she and her classmates put on, though.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Madrox posted:

I can recall nothing in this comic that even vaguely suggests Jeanne was half fire elemental. Where are you getting that from?

Edit: I guess you're just speculating, but we've been given nothing to even suggest this. Kind of have to work within the context of what we've been given so far.

Yeah, I just went off on a random speculation ride based on what I quoted, sorry I didn't make that more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"She didn't want her child born in this place. And she didn't want Anja to watch her... waste away. You know how proud she was."
"But to cut off all contact! Anja was heartbroken!"
"As was Surma... There were many times when I offered to bring her back to the court, but she refused."

He doesn't really answer the "cut off all contact" question. They have cell phones in this universe, right?