Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a starwar betamax posted:

i wonder if jonathan has thrown his hard hat on the ground yet at his grueling 3-days-a-week pet shop job

I need to call the voicemail and ask him to put in a good word for me when he puts in his 2 week notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
There really aren't that many people out there who can quit and say that it's because their patreon's taking off.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bollig posted:

There really aren't that many people out there who can quit and say that it's because their patreon's taking off.

Patreon $$$ beyond the dreams of avarice.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I don't know if the money reflects whatever Patreon takes off the top (nice racket there) but I would imagine split down the middle it is more money than they were making, if you take into consideration it will stay at this level forever. Throw in steady merch and live shows and the boys will be doing just fine. The benefits of Seth watching more TV will be worth it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"Mr Applebaum, you can take these ferrets and shove them into your pockets they like to keep warm there! Bye Mr.Slinky! I'll never forget you! Say goodbye to Cap'n Fins for me, I hope his fin-rot clears up. Bye everyone, BYE! Don't forget to get your flea and tick treatments everybody! Bye! *sniff*. I'll never...... *sob*, I'll never forget you all. I hope you get good *cry*.... forever homes!"

Jesus, he worked at a pet-shop? If you're his age and working part-time at a pet shop, that's usually a job the group-home got for you along with the Wal-Mart greeter position.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 30, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Your thinking is stuck in whatever flyover state you live in. Beverly Hills pet shops are practically Michelin-starred and require letters of introduction. Most dogs roll in with a net worth in the middle six figures. Rawhide sommelier is a 2 year course and a 4 year apprenticeship. As a senior partner at Creative Artists Agency would you trust just any random person to express your client's anal glands?

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Excuse me @Ep 466 86:35 burning question does Seth have a wife now

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I'm fairly sure that Jonathan works at the music shop, no?

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Either way, lmao if you think the Patreon is gonna stay at 12k / mo. Cut Seth's work hours a little bit and that's it

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"Mr Applebaum, you can take these ferrets and shove them into your pockets they like to keep warm there! Bye Mr.Slinky! I'll never forget you! Say goodbye to Cap'n Fins for me, I hope his fin-rot clears up. Bye everyone, BYE! Don't forget to get your flea and tick treatments everybody! Bye! *sniff*. I'll never...... *sob*, I'll never forget you all. I hope you get good *cry*.... forever homes!"

Jesus, he worked at a pet-shop? If you're his age and working part-time at a pet shop, that's usually a job the group-home got for you along with the Wal-Mart greeter position.

He was a lot kid growing up, you don't understand what that does to a person.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dark Weasel posted:

Yes, and he's also an adjunct professor in his mid-60s. Nothing about that hypothetical situation was false.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

WoG posted:

Yes, and he's also an adjunct professor in his mid-60s. Nothing about that hypothetical situation was false.

Rad

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Your thinking is stuck in whatever flyover state you live in. Beverly Hills pet shops are practically Michelin-starred and require letters of introduction. Most dogs roll in with a net worth in the middle six figures. Rawhide sommelier is a 2 year course and a 4 year apprenticeship. As a senior partner at Creative Artists Agency would you trust just any random person to express your client's anal glands?

As a resident of Los Angeles I can say this is 100% accurate.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Postmaster GBS posted:

Either way, lmao if you think the Patreon is gonna stay at 12k / mo.

I'm wondering what the statistics of Patreon are. How many people jump ship once it sinks in that they're paying $240 a year for a single podcast? And is there a high enough turnover to keep the total up?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I've had a Patreon active for 14 months. There's some churn, but things generally trend upward. Our high tier donors are the ones who stick around the longest. Most of the time, people don't drop out, they just lower their pledge amount... and then raise it later.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Dark Weasel posted:

I think his dad is gay also

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Patreon takes 8% and they'll have to deal with ~15% self-employment tax.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So that leaves them about 4,500 / month each? Minus whatever overhead costs for hosting and such.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Even if they can never live off the show full time it's nice to know they haven't been wasting the last 10 years of their lives

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

No money = wasted time

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I dunno who cares about the exact figures. Seth seems actually happy and making some cracks about enjoying life and experiencing stuff with his family.

I didn't contribute but you guys did a good thing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Seths eventual "Behind The Music" is going to be incredible. Sudden extreme wealth is such a well honed arc for Act II

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

An Enormous Boner posted:

No money = wasted time

:rolleyes:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

oatgan posted:

Even if they can never live off the show full time it's nice to know they haven't been wasting the last 10 years of their lives

Exactly.... Even though the whole "uyd full time" thing was likely just jonathon getting excited.. I'm still pumped as heck that these two dudes are making some money. And I'm more than glad to give my measly 12 bucks a year for the continued entertainment.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If Jah and Seth don't quit their loving jobs I'm contacting patreon

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is the dollar threshold to get Jah to quit smoking?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

shadow puppet of a posted:

What is the dollar threshold to get Jah to quit smoking?

Why would you want that, he'd just go back to eating Doritos during the show

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Jah would never eat a Dorito, he's vegan.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

mcvey posted:

"I forgot to tell you: I'm on the fish now"
"What the gently caress are you talking about?"

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

mcvey posted:

He would also never lie about doritos, he is a rastafarian, it is against his religion. Who gonna deny him that?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

"I forgot to tell you: I'm on the fish now"
"What the gently caress are you talking about?"

What episode was that? Honestly one of the best bits ever.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What episode was that? Honestly one of the best bits ever.

Episode 171: 43 minutes in!

http://archive.uhhyeahdu.de/episodes/episode-171

Also features: Jonathan’s younger brother, Ben, used to have a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe when he was a kid. Jah tried to squeeze into it at age 13 when he was stoned because he thought it would be funny.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like 467 should be up some time today, just checked the feed and there's an entry for it but no link for the file yet.

e: and it's up on the feed now as well

bango skank fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 2, 2015

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

bango skank posted:

Looks like 467 should be up some time today, just checked the feed and there's an entry for it but no link for the file yet.

It's up on iTunes now

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress there were a ton of Chime-In Charlie's this ep. Good show though. So glad the letters from South Korea is a recurring bit now. I think I may all and ask Seth for one of those postcards haha

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Uhh yeah dude: unwarranted audience participation to the front of the line.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
When I get some proper income going on again I'll put in some money. I've been listening to the show on and off for years and I've always felt like it doesn't get enough attention from people. It's kind of hard to get people to listen to it, but I guess I have just known a lot of the wrong kinds of people. They are good boys.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

a starwar betamax posted:

Uhh yeah dude: unwarranted audience participation to the front of the line.

To some extent it's warranted when Johnathan is wondering out loud whether or not people are put in a harness before ziplining and someone can easily put it to rest, but yeah there were a lot of people who wouldn't shut up in the last two episodes. Not sure why since I've been to three live shows and the audience was never yelling anything at any of them.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure why since I've been to three live shows and the audience was never yelling anything at any of them.
Seth should have never agreed to fill in those 8 days of the Jim Rome show's hiatus for ESPN radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I liked the crowd interaction about bears in the most recent ep