Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

You... you guys know they're still making new material for the existing battletech universe, right? Just suddenly invalidating all kinds of existing, current, and just-coming-out setting content to reboot their most important and venerable IP would be incredibly foolish.

Why, I can't imagine a serious modern game company even considering such a thing. It'd have to be run by a bunch of clowns.

I see what you did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hooman posted:

I see what you did there.

Age of Sigmar needed to happen. Mostly to make sure GW went down quick rather than slow.

Just make this a side universe or something, split off from the main thing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ok time to get my head back in the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Just make this a side universe or something, split off from the main thing.

The Battletech multiverse.

Maybe they can do a Transformers crossover event.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

The Battletech multiverse.

Maybe they can do a Transformers crossover event.

Kai Allard-Liao vs Predator

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Maria Mercurial vs Minmay

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ok so I like data dumped all the discussion we had since the update came out and caught up on MWO being somewhat fun again. WHATS THE PLAN FOR THE NEXT TWO TURNS.

Me personally, I'm going to back up 1218 with the wardog, turn to face 1319. Should let me torsotwist to shoot the shayu with the big guns baby. Also ghost targets on self. I figure me and the maelstrom have a great chance to potentially kill off the one guy who knows whats up on the enemy team and we should take it. Cerberus and Nightstar from what I remember of hte discussions should be able to hold out cause hello assault mechs. That said we wanna get back and unify the lance as soon as we can after we're sure Carlos is safe.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Thinking about plummeting off the hill to 1309 to break LoS on Jumpy McBackshots for a turn and plink at the Thunder for 10s.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Wait, what's this about MWO being fun again?

Don't tease me like this Mandozer.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Wait, what's this about MWO being fun again?

Don't tease me like this Mandozer.

I said somewhat fun.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

Ok so I like data dumped all the discussion we had since the update came out and caught up on MWO being somewhat fun again. WHATS THE PLAN FOR THE NEXT TWO TURNS.

Me personally, I'm going to back up 1218 with the wardog, turn to face 1319. Should let me torsotwist to shoot the shayu with the big guns baby. Also ghost targets on self. I figure me and the maelstrom have a great chance to potentially kill off the one guy who knows whats up on the enemy team and we should take it. Cerberus and Nightstar from what I remember of hte discussions should be able to hold out cause hello assault mechs. That said we wanna get back and unify the lance as soon as we can after we're sure Carlos is safe.

I think you eat a shitload of fire from the Penetrator and Sha Yu there, but it's been a while since I thought about the game so I'll have to remind myself once I get home. 1619 should let you shoot the Sha Yu and break LoS to the penetrator though. I'm 100% going to walk down behind the Sha Yu and shoot + kick it.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Thinking about plummeting off the hill to 1309 to break LoS on Jumpy McBackshots for a turn and plink at the Thunder for 10s.

That seems like a solid plan.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think you eat a shitload of fire from the Penetrator and Sha Yu there, but it's been a while since I thought about the game so I'll have to remind myself once I get home. 1619 should let you shoot the Sha Yu and break LoS to the penetrator though. I'm 100% going to walk down behind the Sha Yu and shoot + kick it.

Doublecheck that for me and make sure I don't get rear end shot and I'll do it, even though it'll have me running for a +1 move mod lol.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, it was 1618, and you can back in to it so not rear shots from the Sha Yu. You can back and face 1516, or you can walk forward to it and face 1619. Neither gets you back shots, it just sets you up for going totally different directions on the following turn. I'd face 1619 if you think we're going to need to chase the Sha Yu further. I think that's a decent bet considering how poor our shots on it are, although if my (More likely by far but I've had lovely luck with anyhow) kick connects that's a leg crit and potential mobility kill.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Victor Steiner Davion vs Alien...birds.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
What is the maximum number of hyphenated words in a last name BT has produced? I think it was four? Somebody Somebody Allard-Steiner-Davion-Kurita-Centrella-Liao-something?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Oh, it was 1618, and you can back in to it so not rear shots from the Sha Yu. You can back and face 1516, or you can walk forward to it and face 1619. Neither gets you back shots, it just sets you up for going totally different directions on the following turn. I'd face 1619 if you think we're going to need to chase the Sha Yu further. I think that's a decent bet considering how poor our shots on it are, although if my (More likely by far but I've had lovely luck with anyhow) kick connects that's a leg crit and potential mobility kill.

Yeah I'm going to face 1619 so I can pursue/run to the HPG to cover Carlos.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

What is the maximum number of hyphenated words in a last name BT has produced? I think it was four? Somebody Somebody Allard-Steiner-Davion-Kurita-Centrella-Liao-something?

I am not familiar with who that would be. Most of the time people just use whatever the highest "ranked" surname they have or whatever is appropriate to the title they hold. That's why you don't see Melissa Luvon-Steiner or Hanse Campbell-Davion.

Anyway your answer is Phelan Kell Wolf Ward Kell.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I am not familiar with who that would be. Most of the time people just use whatever the highest "ranked" surname they have or whatever is appropriate to the title they hold. That's why you don't see Melissa Luvon-Steiner or Hanse Campbell-Davion.

I went and found the old post and someone posted the name Caleb Steiner-Davion-Hasek-Sandoval. Sarna says it's "only" three names, Caleb Hasek-Sandoval-Davion. Also every part of that era is godawful amateur-hour character bullshit, it seems, from clicking a few related links.

It's still bad but you're right, nobody's as bad as Phelan. In more ways than one!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Don't forget Victor Ian Steiner Davion. Multiple surnames was a Mary Sue power level indicator in the old BT novels.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PhotoKirk posted:

Don't forget Victor Ian Steiner Davion. Multiple surnames was a Mary Sue power level indicator in the old BT novels.

Steiner-Davion is excusable because it was supposed to be the new ruling family of a unified Federated Commonwealth. It actually makes sense they'd use it. Naming yourself Sandoval-Hasek-Davion is just gauche. You don't use the names of vassal houses your relatives have married to, otherwise you get Hanse Varnay-Collins-Gordon-Chandler-Worth-Romera-O'Mara-Ross-Winter-Halder-Stewart-O'Connell-Zhukoff-MacPhearson-Campbell-Davion. If people wanna know who your grandparents are they'll ask.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

Yeah I'm going to face 1619 so I can pursue/run to the HPG to cover Carlos.

Aw poo poo, I forgot about the Jinggau since it's way over there. It has a shot to 1618. It's a bad shot, on a 10, but I still would not want to chance it. So I guess backing and facing 1518 is the safer move.

Or you could run to 1620, that makes you unhittable by the Jinggau, and you're closer in to the Sha Yu for chasing, but your own shots are worse because running. (Of course they weren't great anyhow).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Steiner-Davion is excusable because it was supposed to be the new ruling family of a unified Federated Commonwealth. It actually makes sense they'd use it. Naming yourself Sandoval-Hasek-Davion is just gauche. You don't use the names of vassal houses your relatives have married to, otherwise you get Hanse Varnay-Collins-Gordon-Chandler-Worth-Romera-O'Mara-Ross-Winter-Halder-Stewart-O'Connell-Zhukoff-MacPhearson-Campbell-Davion. If people wanna know who your grandparents are they'll ask.

I don't know what's worse...that you got all those names right or that I knew you did. :cripes:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

jng2058 posted:

I don't know what's worse...that you got all those names right or that I knew you did. :cripes:

The second one. :negative: I ALSO KNEW.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

I opened up the Davion family tree in the original House Davion sourcebook because you know I source my materials.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Unlike those guys at Quikscell.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Keru posted:

Unlike those guys at Quikscell.

"Reliable sources"

I'll be flying home today, it'll be nice to have Internet again. See yall soon, sort of.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Time to pwn some Liao fucks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
After twelve hours of delays, I've landed and am home safe. Updates will resume on Sunday.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:woop:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I also found my copy of the first MW:DA novel. So that's probably a thing that will happen soon-ish.

Also found my X-Box and copies of Mechassault and Mechassault 2, so that's also probably going to happen as soon as I stop being lazy and buy an SD capture card.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I also found my copy of the first MW:DA novel. So that's probably a thing that will happen soon-ish.

Also found my X-Box and copies of Mechassault and Mechassault 2, so that's also probably going to happen as soon as I stop being lazy and buy an SD capture card.

Why do you hate yourself, PTN? Why :negative:

before my Xbox died (I wanted to do a Mercenaries 1 LP :rip: ) I'm pretty sure I got some test footage off it with some component cables and an Elgato Gamecapture HD (not HD60), if that helps you any.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I legitimately think MA2 is fun? The `Mech-only sections are shity and it's not good BattleTech, but tooling around in the Battle Armor being a colossal jerk is amusing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I really wanna play original mech commander

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Stockpile Mary Sue novel? oh boy...

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PhotoKirk posted:

To be fair, it's hardly the /worst/ novel to come out of Dark Ages. It's bad, mind you, but I always felt that Daughter of the Dragon was far, far worse, for being an unfocused, rambling mess with an ending where the writer kills off the antagonist in the most anvilicious way possible without him ever being within twenty miles of the protagonist once during the entire book.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I legitimately think MA2 is fun? The `Mech-only sections are shity and it's not good BattleTech, but tooling around in the Battle Armor being a colossal jerk is amusing.

I couldn't get into MA2 at all, but maybe the power armor is the secret to having fun out of it. I was thinking more of the triple play of MA1,2, and that book rather than any one element.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I finished MA1 was because, for a while, that was one of two games I had for my Xbox and I was very bored. Eventually I picked up something better.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PhotoKirk posted:

It's first person, so it's like I Jedi but an even lazier, more unfiltered view into Michael Stackpole's psyche.

P.S. kill all environmentalists.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's first person, so it's like I Jedi but an even lazier, more unfiltered view into Michael Stackpole's psyche.

P.S. kill all environmentalists.

loving girls coming up to me and asking me to donate to charities. If only I was a top secret black ops commando so I could beat them up with MILITARY PRECISION.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

It's very freely available, as is mech commander 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Viva Miriya posted:

I got you covered!

Alchenar posted:

It's very freely available, as is mech commander 2.

Free does not equal playable... *shudder*

• Locked thread