Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

What on earth school do you work with that gives ipads to nursery children :psyduck:

I basically keep my TV off, because if it's on for like 10 seconds to show my wife's family a photo of our baby, she sees it and gets excited. Thankfully all she wants to do is gum our phones for now. I can't even imagine when I compare families who don't care about this, they probably plop their kid down to sesame street and come back a few hours later.

Also, :yotj: for me is weird - the new company opens P1's/sev 1's all day like nobody's business. I can't tell if it's people being clueless and bad at managing technology or just "Everything is urgent so nothing is" mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Also, :yotj: for me is weird - the new company opens P1's/sev 1's all day like nobody's business. I can't tell if it's people being clueless and bad at managing technology or just "Everything is urgent so nothing is" mindset.

I lost track of how many emergency changes I had to open at my last place because the customer gave us (sometimes literally) no warning or notice about something that they needed done for audit-related activities. Probably broke SLA twice over for a couple of months.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sirotan posted:

Now I'm looking much more like the lobster sitotan in my av. Should have reapplied sunscreen, it burnnnnssss.

Sirotan got Siroburned

:downsrim:

Terrible joke, couldn't resist, my apologies

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

and... weed-eating :ohdear:
If he does this, do another proposal with information on the cost of various lawn care services in the area because he can shove that weed eater right up his rear end sideways.

Whenever you talk about your boss telling you how you're wrong, I have this image of Tom Cruise on the Today show telling Matt Lauer that "he doesn't know what I know".

Have you tried telling him that, if he stops getting in your way and gainsaying everything, you can actually make him look really good?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Maybe its different in Europe but in the US 'throw iPads/laptops at it' is the go to feel good solution for our collapsing education system.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

go3 posted:

Maybe its different in Europe but in the US 'throw iPads/laptops at it' is the go to feel good solution for our collapsing education system.

Where I live, the schools have been forbidden to buy more ipads, since the it systems can't handle it or something. Not sure where the bottle neck is or how they are managed/set up, so no details.

Article, use google translate for a semi-decent translation: http://www.budstikka.no/nyheter/nyheter/nekter-innkjop-av-ipad/s/2-2.310-1.8660674 Norwegian, in case Google can't figure it out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ozz81 posted:

Sirotan got Siroburned

:downsrim:

Terrible joke, couldn't resist, my apologies

drat gotta break out my giant bottle of aloe again after reading this post.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Recently took over IT support for a small organisation. They had used gmail addresses before now and we've set them up with Office 365 and user@companyname addresses. One user wasn't happy.

quote:

Just to be clear, having the facility to use email within Gmail was the primary concern I raised when we were first told of an overseeing company possibly being employed - and I had expected life to get easier and not harder. I was happy to have something which 'looked like' another email address since some people were obviously concerned with the appearance, rather than the practicality from the point of view of those having to use it, but I (and others here) find gmail is far better and more 'fit for purpose' than the Outlook style. Indeed, a true 'business solution' is one which helps the business being done, not one which makes it more time consuming, more difficult, more onerous; a true 'business solution' has nothing to do with how it appears - it is what assists rather than hinders the business, and having to spend three times as long doing something is not helping business. The latter is my experience with Outlook and why I have been convinced that it is not a helpful or useful tool compared to gmail.

As it is, there are rather too many things that I can't do on the Outlook email, as well as the mind-numbing, laborious prospect of replacing every single contact, seeing as not one has been transferred. Considering I do a huge amount of my work and communications via email, the prospect of having to revert to an inferior method of working is appalling, and I'd appreciate it if an effort could be made to find a solution that is workable for those that actually have to do the work - and focusing on the substance and practicality rather than 'how it looks'.

It would also be helpful to know if I can alter the visual of the new Outlook as I find it confusing and exhausting as it currently stands - very little difference between unread and read, the unread are scattered about throughout the list of emails so difficult to detect (gmail can be ordered so that all the unread are neatly and clearly at the top - is this feasible with Outlook?) and there is the equally tedious prospect of having to physically handle every single one into folders (and one folder only - so endless copies must be made to replicate the same information into multiple folders).

Underlining hers.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

So... help her out? Provide some tutorials or training?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

bitterandtwisted posted:

One user wasn't happy.

Honestly, it sounds bitchy, but I'd kill for something as articulate and helpful as this email. Of course a user is pissed at change, that's to be expected, but she also lined out exactly what her problems were and also she spelled words correctly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The differences in workflow in something like Google Apps vs. pretty much every other email service are huge, and should have been discussed with your customer before the work was done. Assuming they were OK with it then really she needs to talk to whoever OK'd the work from their side.

Not moving people's contacts and calendars across is pretty sloppy though.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Recently took over IT support for a small organisation. They had used gmail addresses before now and we've set them up with Office 365 and user@companyname addresses. One user wasn't happy.

Underlining hers.

And people here insist on using Outlook with Google Apps. Basically no one is ever happy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Erwin posted:

And people here insist on using Outlook with Google Apps. Basically no one is ever happy.

:gonk:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Erwin posted:

We have far too many clients that insist on this. Use the loving web interface!

Also, a computer came in. Overheating, probably needs a new CPU fan.

It might just be pretty dusty though, so let's open it up and -

:sassargh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
:stare: What exactly am I looking at here?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that... someone trying to do cable management with half a reel of Christmas themed parcel tape?

What is the thing stuck to the top hatch? The only thing I've ever seen attached to the removable panel is the fan, but the fan wouldn't work with that much tape on it and it isn't usually that big.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ho ho ho... now i have a roll of decorative christmas tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEUTq6R2oU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

MiniFoo posted:

Ill bet you a dollar one of the fans was rattling, and that's how they stopped it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Whoever suggested and whoever greenlit moving a company from Gmail to O365 and not Google Apps should be fired into the sun

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

We have far too many clients that insist on this. Use the loving web interface!

Season's Greetings!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RadicalR posted:

:stare: What exactly am I looking at here?

It looks like the hard drives have been taped to the case.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think it's great that you'll have a generation of adults who can't write (as opposed to type) properly because instead of teaching them the motor skills needed for that in pre-school, they're given poo poo tech for idiots.

I know very few people who can write or type properly in any age group. Sometimes I type things in notepad and print them on UPS labels so I don't have to try to decipher my hand writing later.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

go3 posted:

Whoever suggested and whoever greenlit moving a company from Gmail to O365 and not Google Apps should be fired into the sun

Quoting this, I would kill to get our people on to Google stuff instead of loving Microsoft.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

It looks like the hard drives have been taped to the case.

I could only imagine what it must feel like being the guy who did that.

"Man, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the next guy discovers this!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god you're right it's got the ribbon coming out of it and everything.

why...

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I used to work on a ton of these towers. If I remember how those Dell cases work, the HD cage can be removed and is an absolute bastard to line up correctly and reattach. Looks like someone gave up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dragyn posted:

I used to work on a ton of these towers. If I remember how those Dell cases work, the HD cage can be removed and is an absolute bastard to line up correctly and reattach. Looks like someone gave up.

Slimlines? IIRC the HD cage was mounted below the DVD drive which needed something else removed to access it or something. It's been a while, I don't remember that well.

Those loving power supplies though.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Renegret posted:

Slimlines? IIRC the HD cage was mounted below the DVD drive which needed something else removed to access it or something. It's been a while, I don't remember that well.

Those loving power supplies though.

Crap, you're right. I thought this was a full tower. Didn't even notice the slimline power supply.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I like that "order a new cell tower" was a thing you can theoretically offer to do.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Most places in america have like 1 cell tower that covers about 100-200km of space. That's sometimes shared amongst several thousand people.

We're a Danish municipality that covers a large part of the, eh.. less inhabited part of the country. When it was time to renew the telecoms contract we joined forces with a few other municipalities and offered a sizable contract to attract better offers than we're usually getting.

The local dominating telco, TDC, guarantees 98.5% 3G coverage in Denmark. The problem is, that that's measured by population, and with the large cities easily covered you'll find spots in the countryside that remain on 2G, and that's just not good enough when so many modern services - like in-home nurses for the elderly and disabled - require always-online data connections for direct links with doctors, medical databases and such. Joining forces with other municipalities made us a nice fat target for one of the competing telcos who wound up guaranteeing 99.8% coverage geographically in our area, with 100% coverage in public buildings, two "free" cell towers we could order installed at sites we'd like better covered, and the option to buy extra towers as needed.

After the install is done we're extremely pleased with the results. When I'm in the boonies I've come to expect no less than full 3G coverage, and usually pretty decent 4G coverage except in hilly or forested areas. One of the other IT guys lives on a farm 20 miles from civilization, and he wound up cancelling his spotty ADSL because he could get 50 Mbit with a common USB dongle in his laptop at home. The only drawback for him is the 100 GB monthly limit on his new connection, but he'd rather have the extra speed for the same price. (~$58/mo)

Edit: I'd be weary of comparing the US to Denmark, or Scandinavia or Europe at all. We're much more densely populated, and thus easily covered with cellular.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 3, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What the gently caress is a computer that still uses IDE doing outside of a beach in India getting picked apart by children?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Crowley posted:

We're a Danish municipality that covers a large part of the, eh.. less inhabited part of the country. When it was time to renew the telecoms contract we joined forces with a few other municipalities and offered a sizable contract to attract better offers than we're usually getting.

The local dominating telco, TDC, guarantees 98.5% 3G coverage in Denmark. The problem is, that that's measured by population, and with the large cities easily covered you'll find spots in the countryside that remain on 2G, and that's just not good enough when so many modern services - like in-home nurses for the elderly and disabled - require always-online data connections for direct links with doctors, medical databases and such. Joining forces with other municipalities made us a nice fat target for one of the competing telcos who wound up guaranteeing 99.8% coverage geographically in our area, with 100% coverage in public buildings, two "free" cell towers we could order installed at sites we'd like better covered, and the option to buy extra towers as needed.

After the install is done we're extremely pleased with the results. When I'm in the boonies I've come to expect no less than full 3G coverage, and usually pretty decent 4G coverage except in hilly or forested areas. One of the other IT guys lives on a farm 20 miles from civilization, and he wound up cancelling his spotty ADSL because he could get 50 Mbit with a common USB dongle in his laptop at home. The only drawback for him is the 100 GB monthly limit on his new connection, but he'd rather have the extra speed for the same price. (~$58/mo)

Edit: I'd be weary of comparing the US to Denmark, or Scandinavia or Europe at all. We're much more densely populated, and thus easily covered with cellular.

That's insane. In the states there's still plenty of places where dial-up is your only option for internet.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

What the gently caress is a computer that still uses IDE doing outside of a beach in India getting picked apart by children?

Let me tell you about a redeployment of old Dells I just did this morning...

They still had the "designed for Windows XP" stickers on the cases too!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's insane. In the states there's still plenty of places where dial-up is your only option for internet.

Or sometimes even worse satellite. Although more and more rural relatively flat places are getting higher speeds with wireless setups on top of grain elevators or silos. I got a chance to test out a connection in the rural midwest recently and it wasnt bad. About 5 Mbps down, low latency and a hell of a lot cheaper than satellite.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'll be honest; I thought it was a cleverly concealed Xmas present for the IT team from a grateful staff member. Only, due to a mistake, it got left on a shelf for 6 months.

Which would be a bit of a pisser if it were a christmas kitty.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A computer came in...

Last Friday someone came in to schedule a printer setup with us. It was meant to go down on Saturday but it got moved to today. Boss goes out on a service call to set the thing up, and calls back saying he's bringing the laptop back...

drat thing has 7 antimalware scanners on it, half of which are scareware bullshit and the other half don't work at all (one of which calls itself "Windows Essentials 2012!"). The machine's clogged up with bullshit like incredimail, driver restore, all the Dell bloatware that came on the device, etc. It's the epitome of "old person laptop" that's filled up with unnecessary bullshit.

EDIT: Oh my god he has the most banal facebook meme poo poo on his desktop, including an alleged quote from Don Cherry about making sure a raghead's balls are wet before torturing him

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 3, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Underlining hers.

Honestly I'd have switched everyone over to google apps if gmail is what they were used to.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It's not gonna be fun tomorrow when I fake a medical emergency and not be in for a few hours. Not the first time I've had to but last time I played that card was a few months ago.

As much as I want out I feel like I should be saving no-shows with emails of "wife had seizure" etc. for the real deal, especially given that I forced my boss' rescheduling of his own stuff, but I don't know how much of this is just residual interpersonal-interaction guilt or just inertia. I really don't feel good that I couldn't make this happen legitimately but there was no way they would let me have time off on the first morning of the new guy coming in.

Car accident or health crisis with my father? I need something that HR couldn't verify if they chose to, and if I say it's a medical emergency for my wife or me they could always ask the insurance if I have any claims. It's really stupid of me to try to preserve decorum but I'm still paranoid that they'll terminate me if they find out, despite how much it shoots them in the foot, doubly so now that I have a part-timer to train up.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 3, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MJP posted:

It's not gonna be fun tomorrow when I fake a medical emergency and not be in for a few hours. Not the first time I've had to but last time I played that card was a few months ago.

As much as I want out I feel like I should be saving no-shows with emails of "wife had seizure" etc. for the real deal, especially given that I forced my boss' rescheduling of his own stuff, but I don't know how much of this is just residual interpersonal-interaction guilt or just inertia. I really don't feel good that I couldn't make this happen legitimately but there was no way they would let me have time off on the first morning of the new guy coming in.

Ignore that feeling. That's the Stockholm Syndrome talking. You shouldn't give a flying poo poo what your job thinks of whatever if it means you're getting out of it and into a better one. You only get so many chances, and you best take the ones that present themselves to you, because they're only going to get harder to find once you ignore the easy ones.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Just to be clear, having the facility to use email within Gmail was the primary concern I raised when we were first told of an overseeing company possibly being employed - and I had expected life to get easier and not harder. I was happy to have something which 'looked like' another email address since some people were obviously concerned with the appearance, rather than the practicality from the point of view of those having to use it, but I (and others here) find gmail is far better and more 'fit for purpose' than the Outlook style. Indeed, a true 'business solution' is one which helps the business being done, not one which makes it more time consuming, more difficult, more onerous; a true 'business solution' has nothing to do with how it appears - it is what assists rather than hinders the business, and having to spend three times as long doing something is not helping business. The latter is my experience with Outlook and why I have been convinced that it is not a helpful or useful tool compared to gmail.

As it is, there are rather too many things that I can't do on the Outlook email, as well as the mind-numbing, laborious prospect of replacing every single contact, seeing as not one has been transferred. Considering I do a huge amount of my work and communications via email, the prospect of having to revert to an inferior method of working is appalling, and I'd appreciate it if an effort could be made to find a solution that is workable for those that actually have to do the work - and focusing on the substance and practicality rather than 'how it looks'.

It would also be helpful to know if I can alter the visual of the new Outlook as I find it confusing and exhausting as it currently stands - very little difference between unread and read, the unread are scattered about throughout the list of emails so difficult to detect (gmail can be ordered so that all the unread are neatly and clearly at the top - is this feasible with Outlook?) and there is the equally tedious prospect of having to physically handle every single one into folders (and one folder only - so endless copies must be made to replicate the same information into multiple folders).

A lot of these issues are expected when changing mail clients and Microsoft has great documentation on how to fix all of them. Like migrating contacts, and clicking the unread folder in the top left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Maybe Hans Gruber was holding the user's wife at gunpoint.

• Locked thread