Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fantasy Flight picks it up and D&D 6th Edition has a bunch of specialty dice, cards for special abilities and just all the Eurotrash trappings.

And it will be gloriously playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

What happens when/if Hasbro gives it up? Paizo comes in and saves the day, releases the new, true DnD we've always wanted? :kheldragar:

Would that even be a bad thing? Paizo at least has their poo poo together.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fantasy Flight picks it up and D&D 6th Edition has a bunch of specialty dice, cards for special abilities and just all the Eurotrash trappings.

And it will be gloriously playable.

All the FFG rpgs I've ever played have been hilariously unbalanced too though?

Note: I haven't tried Dark Heresy 2 or Warhams 3

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yaagh... just when I thought it was safe to totally ignore this edition, I hear they are using it for an upcoming rpg similar to Neverwinter Nights

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What I've seen from Sword Coast Adventures is that the actual game mechanics don't really adhere to the TG ruleset at all, so it's probably not going to be as 'bad' as 5th Edition tabletop is.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The video game appears to have basically nothing in common with the books. Someone mentioned that rogues get special attacks and stuff that is absolutely not supported and more closely resembles 4E. Because of course it does: 4E is WoWbabby FUKKEN GARBAGE

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

fool_of_sound posted:

Did you try the FFG Star Wars game? Because I'm pretty sure that's what was mainly being referenced.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dick Burglar posted:

The video game appears to have basically nothing in common with the books. Someone mentioned that rogues get special attacks and stuff that is absolutely not supported and more closely resembles 4E. Because of course it does: 4E is WoWbabby FUKKEN GARBAGE
Awesome! This makes me hype

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Warhammer Fantasy 3 was a shitpile. Anyone want to buy my copy?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

fool_of_sound posted:

FFG Star Wars is really good and well balanced. edit: which is weird for a Star Wars game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_ModernMagic.pdf

A "City" domain for the Cleric
A "Ghost in the Machine" Patron for the Warlock
A "Technomancer" archetype for the Wizard

And a bunch of new modern-themed spells.

Any bets on how much of this is just lifted from d20 Modern?

Re: Sword Coast Adventures, this was from April this year:

quote:

Okay, so I did a bit more digging around watched some gameplay videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08JKkIBzqK0 (single player gameplay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frJpYU74jo (player-vs-DM gameplay)

The Rogue used Whirlwind Attack, Deathstrike, Misty Step, Substitution. The Fighter used Combat Superiority, Second Wind, Shield Bash, Victorious Surge. They were just defaulting to "attack" an awful lot of the time though.

Also, the abilities had cooldown timers on them, and Vancian casting wasn't enforced, and there was this:

So it's pretty clear that this is only very loosely based on D&D rules much in the same way that the Neverwinter MMO was. The DM mode is interesting because the "DM Threat" mechanic puts a limit on how much of a dick you can be at any one time, but otherwise seems to encourage adversarial play a fair bit.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 3, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Great news, everybody!

More stuff for spellcasters (... in a modern campaign)

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modern-magic

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Find Vehicle is really cool

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

What happens when/if Hasbro gives it up? Paizo comes in and saves the day, releases the new, true DnD we've always wanted? :kheldragar:

I think it's up to WotC as to what to do with it, not necessarily Hasbro. As for who might pick it up if dropped, it could probably be anyone. Paizo and Fantasy Flight are obvious choices (and I'd lean towards Fantasy Flight since I think they're the bigger company), but a smaller company like WizKids or AEG or Green Ronin might swoop in and snatch it for the right deal. On the other hand, a larger company with deeper pockets like Disney or Time Warner by way of Marvel or WB via DC Comics respectively might take it for the intellectual property assets.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I'm actually surprised there isn't a fairly standard alcohol/drug withdrawal side effect chart and table to use in D&D, you'd think that would have been around since the early 80s at the least.

1E had tables for intoxication and recovery in the DMG. (Being "greatly intoxicated" gave you +3 HP -- as Murphy's Rules pointed out, that means it would be a bad idea for an assassin to get his victim drunk.)

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There's a movie on the way, I guess.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/dungeons-dragons-legal-settlement-paves-812674

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The best d&d movies will always be f&f 5-7

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

Hopefully they can get Marlon Wayans to reprise his role as Snails for the new movie. Since 5e is all about reprising previous editions, this would be the perfect way to bridge the old and the new!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm cautiously optimistic based on the producer.

Less so based on the writer.

Overall, I really want a D&D movie to be basically the Raid but with orcs and a likeable 4-person cast. Or like Guardians of the Galaxy.

I can bet it won't be though; it'll wind up incredibly staid and mechanical and buzzword/rules-reference quoting.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
A movie that's just straight up The Red Hand of Doom would be pretty bad-rear end.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

djw175 posted:

Did you try the FFG Star Wars game? Because I'm pretty sure that's what was mainly being referenced.

alg posted:

FFG Star Wars is really good and well balanced. edit: which is weird for a Star Wars game.

I did try it, in fact I was in a PbP game with you, djw. It's actually really poorly balanced in a lot of ways: character creation that encourages players to spend 100% in stats, most characters are forced to take extra Obligation for more starting money just to have their basic equipment, extremely easy to customize weapons to turn the game into rocket tag, strongly asymmetrical recommendations for what Advantages, Threats, Triumphs and Despairs did on any given skill, force mechanics that encourage force-sensitive players to burn party resources at a high rate, ect.

It's got good bones, but has the same problem I've had with every FFG tabletop; it feels like the writers of various sections didn't have enough contact with each other, and because of that the can break down when they interact.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 3, 2015

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Well, that blew my theory out of the water. Looks like Hasbro will be hanging on to the IP a little longer. Not to say we won't see more outsourcing in the future, but Hasbro has already had a taste of that international box office money so I can't imagine them getting rid of an in house department completely.

And Forgotten Realms no less. Really going for that brand synergy with this edition.

I hope it's a Drizzt movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

This is far and away the most well-known brand in fantasy
That's a big statement in the age of Game of Thrones.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a big statement in the age of Game of Thrones.

Or Lord of the Rings.

Or Harry Potter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just remake Willow and call it a DnD movie.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kai Tave posted:

Or Lord of the Rings.

Or Harry Potter.

Or World of Warcraft. Possibly Conan too, thanks to the Schwarzenegger movies. I wouldn't be surprised if the Elder Scrolls games (ok, fine, just Skyrim) also aren't better known.

Edit:
Strictly speaking, I think the Smurfs count as fantasy...

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 3, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

STAR WARS is fantasy and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Saying that "Dungeons and Dragons" is a well-known fantasy brand is probably true; most people would be familiar with the name even if they didn't know exactly what it was.

But of those people, if more than maybe one in a hundred had heard of "the Forgotten Realms" or "Elminster" or "Drizzt", I'd be really loving surprised.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Esser-Z posted:

STAR WARS is fantasy and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Star Wars is pretty much archetypally space opera, which is a mix of fantasy and soft scifi.

And of course, the line between fantasy and soft scifi is REALLY bloody blurry anyway.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Night10194 posted:

BoVD is the book with the minor bonus for having had sex with undead.

It was bad.

Minor bonus? It made undead automatically friendly to you, that's an amazing bonus.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Payndz posted:

Saying that "Dungeons and Dragons" is a well-known fantasy brand is probably true; most people would be familiar with the name even if they didn't know exactly what it was.

But of those people, if more than maybe one in a hundred had heard of "the Forgotten Realms" or "Elminster" or "Drizzt", I'd be really loving surprised.

I bet more people have read a Drizz't book than played D&D.

They just probably didn't know that the book was set in a D&D setting.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Based on my recollection, most of the Technomancy stuff is pretty much lifted straight from Urban Arcana. As are most of the spells, including at least Synchronicity. The Arcane Gunslinger archetype for the Warlock is basically a 5e'd version of Urban Arcana's Spellslinger prestige class (released, to my recollection, in a free online supplement).

But still, gently caress, I actually sort of like the idea of D&D in a modern setting. Like, not Urban Arcana's "It's the real world but there's D&D creatures around but the mundies can't see them" angle, but honest to god D&D setting advanced to the modern age with cool technomagic and poo poo.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

No, he thinks they did a bad job branding the fighter. He has no issues with the mechanics.

I asked that question and didn't catch until after that it was a dodge. I've followed up with wizards to get him to clarify if he meant mechanics or not there and if he's willing to comment on mechanics. I do not have high hopes for a good response.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

gradenko_2000 posted:

To their credit, they changed the aberrant sexual behavior entry to a powerful delusion instead.

Holy RIFTS flashbacks, Batman.

Save Vs. Pedophilia.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gradenko_2000 posted:

This stuff is actually pretty cool, flavor-wise. I could totally see using the City domain to build a wise, mysterious homeless man who goes where he's needed, dispenses pithy bits of homespun advice liberally spiced with earthy mannerisms, and then when he's done gets on a motorcycle that looks like it's built out of junk (but somehow feels realer than real, and wait, was that there earlier?) and drives off, singing bits of weird songs while the lights somehow manage to turn green in front of him. These are all things you can do! Also: give people mysterious sodas in unmarked glass bottles that somehow make them feel better about life, fry the iPhone of the businessman who tossed you a bottlecap, turn on TVs in store windows with a snap of your fingers in order to coincidentally display news programs that provide just the right information for the moment, be mysteriously bulletproof.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 3, 2015

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Fun flavor stuff in there, it was certainly something to read the description of "fiendish SUV".

Also, I'm impressed they managed to go a whole year before giving the wizard a mechanic that circumvents Concentration (or maybe does nothing at all?).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Rules for a gun would be nice.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

chaos rhames posted:

Rules for a gun would be nice.
Isn't that in the DMG?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

LightWarden posted:

Fun flavor stuff in there, it was certainly something to read the description of "fiendish SUV".

Also, I'm impressed they managed to go a whole year before giving the wizard a mechanic that circumvents Concentration (or maybe does nothing at all?).

Now picture a biker cleric of Baphomet on a fiendish Harley vs. a nun on a celestial Yamaha, drag racing for the soul of a Hong Kong street orphan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

The one comment is :allears:, at least

quote:

Absolutely no excitement here....I'm sure they will hire writers, actors and a director whose only knowledge of AD&D is the ten minutes that they spent skimming through one rulebook. They chose one of the weaker campaign worlds as a setting and no doubt will concentrate on the weakest races and classes. We will also see more leather 'bondage' gear and the occasional "I will cast a FIREBALL spell!"-quoted straight from one book or another. Is anyone willing to drop $10-15 dollars for a ticket to see more of this crap?