Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I am glad clones exist because I can make Dr. Mario Yoshi and Lucina Yoshi and Dark Pit Yoshi in Yoshi's Woolly World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Melee online through Dolphin loving owns.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Today is Sakurai's birthday. Look at his cake

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Bucake.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
One thing I always do In for glory that gets me killed is trying to land down-airs on people when trying to get back on stage from a vertical position. I sometimes land them and it works if it has high priority but most down air timings are hard to do and I end up getting hosed instead. Thats my biggest newb mistake next to trying to do pro MLG aerial edgeguards and suiciding.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Athropos posted:

One thing I always do In for glory that gets me killed is trying to land down-airs on people when trying to get back on stage from a vertical position. I sometimes land them and it works if it has high priority but most down air timings are hard to do and I end up getting hosed instead. Thats my biggest newb mistake next to trying to do pro MLG aerial edgeguards and suiciding.

Go big every time, always strive for the huge plays. If you screw it up enough times you'll learn how to do it right and then you'll be a dynamo.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Athropos posted:

Who are you playing as that you can't get back onto the stage?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The only good edge guards are the ones you can't recover from

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

that's a good cake.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Reiley posted:

I lost to a big fart.

I think it's a bit unfair to refer to Sofia Copolla OD this way.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Athropos posted:

With time you'll learn timing and positioning and it'll be second nature. When I first started playing Smash 4 I was terrible at landing Falcon's down-air, but as I played I slowly picked up how long the move takes to come out, how to angle myself in the air just right for positioning, the nuances of other characters' recoveries, when to fast fall and exactly how low I can go while still being able to recover, and now I do poo poo like this without even really thinking about it.

(It's led me to SD as Roy a whole lot going for his spike though. He doesn't recover from the animation nearly as fast... I'm learning his timing too though!)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Aston posted:

I think it's a bit unfair to refer to Sofia Copolla OD this way.

Yahweh said my combos were cute, please be nice to him and spare him these wicked barbs.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Athropos posted:

the only way to get good at doing these things, is to practice them!

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Having a Dark Pit means your pancreas is failing.

Just saying.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pac-Man: "Lemme hit that"

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question: On a lot of tier lists I see Zelda ranked as the worst character, why is that? I constantly see Zelda's that do really well and it feels wrong.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Zelda is a case of a character that's easy to be good at, but hard to be great. In general her moves are clunky with a lot of ending lag and you can shield most if not all of her viable options for attack. It doesn't help that she's somewhat light and her grab also has a short reach and long ending lag as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda's got a lot of scary kill options but actually getting to the point of being able to use them against a good player is really hard. She's slow, mostly short-range, and a lot of her B-moves have weird design choices - I still don't get why you can't store a fully-charged Phantom.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is Phantom Slash even that good? Thinking on it now I can't recall seeing anyone ever going for it and the one or two times I used it it didn't seem that great damage wise.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mabels big day posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that nintendo saves data from online matches and incorporates how people play certain characters into that character's AI.

I was gonna say they must be doing something like scrubbing replay data from uploaded replays. The replay files are actually tiny since it's just a set of inputs, and you can take stuff like "Players who win as ness seem to use these inputs" and see how it goes.

It absolutely is not learning from me personally because it has gotten smarter with characters I don't play.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is Phantom Slash even that good? Thinking on it now I can't recall seeing anyone ever going for it and the one or two times I used it it didn't seem that great damage wise.

Last tournament I went to had a really good Zelda and like 90% of his moveset was using the fair and bair, even to rack up damage not just to kill. He also got a LOT of spikes with dair, I didn't even know it could spike.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

if you aren't used to it, which most people aren't, it's easy to be caught off guard by how much range it has. also after the patch it now pushes people back, which should make it safer to use. most of the time i see people use it for ledge guarding

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Zelda's got a lot of scary kill options but actually getting to the point of being able to use them against a good player is really hard. She's slow, mostly short-range, and a lot of her B-moves have weird design choices - I still don't get why you can't store a fully-charged Phantom.

worse than that is din's fire putting her into helpless when she uses it in the air

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Seriously.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

zelda is a goddess incarnate channeling ancient regal magicks from her psuedo-deific bloodline. she is a rainbow warrior representing all creeds, colors and possible paths. she embodies both genders and the genderless, time and timelessness, she is a shroedinger's sage. her ability to manipulate spacetime is all the more impressive when you consider how much she must constantly be restraining her unlimited prowess to allow for a fair battleground for all contenders. I smirk heartily imagining little whelps such as yourself adhering to flawed, human-made tier lists in a feeble attempt to gain an understanding of a world beyond your comprehension.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

zelda is a goddess incarnate channeling ancient regal magicks from her psuedo-deific bloodline. she is a rainbow warrior representing all creeds, colors and possible paths. she embodies both genders and the genderless, time and timelessness, she is a shroedinger's sage. her ability to manipulate spacetime is all the more impressive when you consider how much she must constantly be restraining her unlimited prowess to allow for a fair battleground for all contenders. I smirk heartily imagining little whelps such as yourself adhering to flawed, human-made tier lists in a feeble attempt to gain an understanding of a world beyond your comprehension.

tldr

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I disagree

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

fight me bo10 you bring your best warrior and i shall represent zelda

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

unless you do not have the holy spark of conviction that I do, from my beautiful liege, and instead are just another faceless coward in an innumerable mass

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Same.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

This is interesting, except Zelda is only the fourth best Royal character in the game. Obviously the one true King DeDeDe sits above all others. Judging, eating and throwing Gordos while being carried around by his army of Waddle Dee's. Next is Lucina (although I guess debatably she is not royalty since she is from a timeline that no longer exists, taking her out of the royal succession). Still royal blood flows through her and she proudly wears the mark of Naga, and nobly fights to change the predestined future, thereby sacrificing her own noble station for her people. Third is the Prince that was promised, the Gerudo Valley's Ganondorf. No longer will he stand for the bullying from 2 triforce wielders to his one, he will destroy them both (sorry this includes Zelda).

Zelda is definitely way better royalty than Marth though, definitely. He sucks. Also better than Peach and Rosalina, but they aren't as terrible as Marth..

These bougie characters are all objectively worse than the people's champion though (That's Ike if you're dumb and didn't know that)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Lucina's timeline could not be changed by the events of Awakening, so she is eternally a princess

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Same but with Kirby.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lucina's timeline could not be changed by the events of Awakening, so she is eternally a princess
Wasn't Chrom dead though? So she would be Queen of a non-existent land.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

rosalina is not royalty. she just wears a crown because it looks good on her.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rosalina's just the space equivalent of a cat hoarder.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Only with better taunts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Most people whose houses are filled with dozens of cats are NOT good at taunting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Wasn't Chrom dead though? So she would be Queen of a non-existent land.

Lucina is always a princess

in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Only with better taunts.

her taunt game is very strong

• Locked thread