Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Aftercon Goons: Anyone wanting to play Final Attack, meet me in the Omni Severin lobby around 8. Omni is just down Georgia Street (the street all the food trucks line up along) from the ICC, can't miss it.

I might run two games, but either way, this is your last chance to pilot Final Kaiser and save the earth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Car crew 2015 roll call

#WVnotasbadasOhio #barely

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Okay, Mayfair dinner running super late. Game maybe pushed back to 9.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Made it home. The last 40 miles were terrible because of a massive thunderstorm, but I managed not to die. I think the power steering had a stroke at some point during the con because it was hard as hell to turn the wheel sometimes.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Double Agent posted:

Made it home. The last 40 miles were terrible because of a massive thunderstorm, but I managed not to die. I think the power steering had a stroke at some point during the con because it was hard as hell to turn the wheel sometimes.

I'm only 4 hours away! :suicide:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

I feel like it was a very successful first Gencon and a lot of that goes to the advice in this thread, so thanks to Quarex and other gentlegoons for that stuff. I can't wait for next year.
:) :) :) :) :)

Good. It seemed like basically everyone had a good time, random things being sold out (or getting smacked down by an Obsidian PR guy) notwithstanding. Also it says a lot that despite spending like 6-8 hours in the Exhibit Hall I never saw the Obsidian booth.

Plus now I know Harry & Izzy's is pretty much the best place to go for actually good and still fairly affordable food (thanks to Mudcrab Merchant for pushing that agenda naturally).

I also know that having a portable phone charger instantly makes everything better.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, I had 3 2200mAh batteries with me for my S5. I was using my phone from around 8am until 2am or so and 1 of the batteries kept my phone above 50% the entire day. I'd definitely recommend one.

EDIT: Also frowning, I recommend frowning a lot.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 3, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I played pillars of eternity at the obsidian booth for a while. I'll probably buy it when I get home, so mission accomplished I guess.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ritorix posted:

I played pillars of eternity at the obsidian booth for a while. I'll probably buy it when I get home, so mission accomplished I guess.

I was interested in it, how did it play?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TheHoosier posted:

I was interested in it, how did it play?

Like a modern baldurs gate. Pauseable combat, spell levels and what not. Looked pretty nice too on their laptops.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ritorix posted:

Like a modern baldurs gate. Pauseable combat, spell levels and what not. Looked pretty nice too on their laptops.

Oh I'm sorry I meant the card game they had for it. They were demoing a Pillars of Eternity board/card game and I was curious about it. My mistake!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I had 3 2200mAh batteries with me for my S5. I was using my phone from around 8am until 2am or so and 1 of the batteries kept my phone above 50% the entire day. I'd definitely recommend one.

EDIT: Also frowning, I recommend frowning a lot.

Shaudefrawning?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm only 4 hours away! :suicide:

I think this should be your theme song for the con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinLQG2VSR4

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Double Agent posted:

I think this should be your theme song for the con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinLQG2VSR4

I'm mostly glad I took enough days off work that I can spend all day driving and just sleep all day tomorrow

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I am home, trying to get my thoughts together... Had a great time, got to see a lot of fiends that I haven't seen in years, made some important contacts, ran a couple of games and got to meet some fans (it feels weird to have fans).

The only thing I regret is not actually getting to play in any games with goons. :( next time I will schedule better.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not dead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm home and safe, and thanks to Len & Co for letting me crash their hotel, other goons for letting me crash their meals, and goons in general for giving that sense of community amidst the GenCon crowd.

I'll have more of a GenCon report later (probably in the August chat) and a haul pic and all that but for now things are settled and I have several days to recover.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Car crew 2015 roll call

#AtleastWVhasterrain

Regardless, second year of GenCon, a lot of lessons continue to be learned. I've experienced the con with a huge group and a small group now, so I feel that there are some recommendations that I can make!

-If you have a SO, do some of the spousal activities, specifically the dancing. Had lots of fun there.
-Do events. Don't worry about the money, just do them. A lot of the RPGs are pretty good and the SO and I had a great time playing Delta Green. She mulched some inept wizards (or is it wizzards because they are inept?) with a grenade launcher, and we loved the concept of the adventure (the cult cell was very poorly run and would have collapsed without any Delta Green intervention. We literally just made things worse).
-The Games Library seems great on paper, but it relies on having a few things. You need an agenda (an idea of what game you might want to play that you don't have) and a decent group (at least four in my experience). There is no way you're going to get the time value out of the library considering its 12-hour intervals take place during some very important times (for the evening sleep, for the day the dealer's hall).

-Take an evening to have a nice sit-down dinner to decompress. Preferably Saturday. There's a lot going on at the convention and by Saturday you could very well be exhausted. Just take the time, clear the schedule for a good dinner, and enjoy.

The only unfortunate thing this year is that my DG session took place during TOVA and I could not go to see the magic of TOVA.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Does anyone have any links for good picture dumps? I didn't take any photos but I'd like to show friends and coworkers what it was like.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
I had a good time. I never did get to meet up with the goon group; sorry about that. Mostly I demoed games and did Cheese Weasel stuff. It seems our hotel was in the opposite direction of most of you guys. If I go back next year I'd like to try some of the events. I didn't plan it out early enough to sign up for anything good this year and figured it was easier to get into demos at the exhibit hall. I would have also liked to play some games with goons, but it was hard to keep track of the conversion in GroupMe. No idea why it scrolls all the way to the bottom of the chat when you check it instead of the last thing you read. Plus it didn't put time stamps on stuff, so I'd scroll up to see someone asking for players in a game and have no idea when they asked. So yeah... Next year I'll probably just head to the gaming hall and hang out a bit. If I can find the group. It gets crazy in there after a while.

I picked up Dark Moon, Pictomania, Codenames, and Trains: Rising Sun. Most of those for $10-15 less than CSI prices. Also picked up some sleeves at Mayday for $2 a pop, no tax or shipping and a wooden insert at Broken Token. They do charge tax unlike most of the rest, but still no shipping. Never did see Go7Gaming, assuming they weren't there. Didn't win any of the 5 big Cheese Weasel prizes (in fact only one person present won, 3rd place), but I did win The Walking Dead themed Bang game, plus it's expansion in the mini prize raffle for just showing up. So that was cool. Two of my group won t-shirts too. Oh and I sold some games I didn't really like in the store and that basically paid for everything I bought, so bonus!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
That awkward moment when airport security needs to inspect your carry-on, and the first thing they see when they open it is a small box with images of dynamite and the word "BOOM" in big letters on it. (I picked up Two Rooms and a Boom)

Show was great as always. Wish I had infinitely more free time to be able to meet up with some of the goons attending, but working the show is so time consuming. Definitely one of the drawbacks of working in the industry; I don't get to "do" shows like GenCon nearly as much as I'd like. :arghfist:

Can't wait until next year. :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My haul.

All this for only -$85. Sure I had to work 8 hours a day, but I came out $85 ahead and with all this guff.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 3, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The amount of stuff people get there is pretty crazy to me, but i'm super cheap.s. Only picked up the expansion to Terra Mystica and a couple of old promo planet packs for Eminent Domain. Buddy of mine picked up Codenames, otherwise I probably would have.

Only hung out with the GenGoons a little bit though, but it was largely due to what few events I did being smack dab in the middle of whenever it ended up going down. I did find an RPG system I enjoyed though - Paranoia was rather amusing. Normally I just can't get into enjoying any of them but the ridiculousness was good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sloober posted:

The amount of stuff people get there is pretty crazy to me, but i'm super cheap.s. Only picked up the expansion to Terra Mystica and a couple of old promo planet packs for Eminent Domain. Buddy of mine picked up Codenames, otherwise I probably would have.

Only hung out with the GenGoons a little bit though, but it was largely due to what few events I did being smack dab in the middle of whenever it ended up going down. I did find an RPG system I enjoyed though - Paranoia was rather amusing. Normally I just can't get into enjoying any of them but the ridiculousness was good.

I was paid to take all that stuff. I came away from the con in the black. My room and badge were comped, I had a per diem, and got paid in stock which I swapped as well as getting free stuff (thank you FFG!). I owned Gencon (barring the parts where I was worked ragged and lost my voice, but whatever. )

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It was more a general "wow people buy tons of poo poo' than "indolent bastard is bad with money"

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I never did make it to a goon meetup, but following along the Groupme was informative(!) and entertaining.

My girlfriend and I are sitting in Starbucks waiting for a late-afternoon flight home. I've been drinking soup, tea, and shakes since Saturday to help with GM/interview voice. I think I picked up a touch of con crud too, so that's fun.

Both games of Costume Fairy Adventures seemed to go well, even though I wasn't able to convince enough people to leave with a pair of child-sized glitter wings. They'll glitter up my game room for a little longer.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Last year was my first year and I tried cramming in too much I think. This year I only grabbed a few events and let myself do what I felt like which seemed the way to go.

I was a bit lucky and had connections to some vendors and got into the CAH comedy show for free. Don't care for CAH, but the show was great and had semi big stand up names in it.

I also got into the vendor lounge one night which is basically open gaming and an open bar. Everyone was grabbing as much as they could hold.

I also didn't want to eat all from food trucks the entire weekend, so got to St Elmo one night, and a Indian cuisine spot suggested in here on another.

One night my group had a long walk from the comedy show back to the center and decided to try out the bike rentals. Seriously one of the best parts of the weekend was cruising around late night in Indy on bikes seeing the city.

The message I'm getting to here is don't spend the entire time inside the center like I did the first time. Ya you're there to game, but there is a ton of fun poo poo to do all around the downtown area too.

My only regret from this year was learning on Sunday the voice of Crow from MST3K was there. I would have loved that.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Indolent Bastard posted:

My haul.

All this for only -$85. Sure I had to work 8 hours a day, but I came out %85 ahead and with all this guff.

You were working for Iello, right? I was the guy who stepped in to take your staff picture at the booth during tear down yesterday. :)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I managed to keep spending to a minimum, I think. I dunno, my first time so whatevs. Final tally was:

Game of Thrones LCG (thanks Mudcrab Merchant!)
Aetherium wargame
An oil-painted sketch from an artist who did the oils for free because she thought my character concept was hot.
Forgeworld coffee mug (Death Korps of Krieg)
Forgeworld Salamanders tee-shirt
Lots of frown jokes. Dim Dourfist would approve.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 20, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sloober posted:

It was more a general "wow people buy tons of poo poo' than "indolent bastard is bad with money"

Agreed. One of my co-workers managed to blow $500 on games on top of our comped games. Some peoples hauls are nuts.

Sorry I took offense. I'm just proud of how well I did.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Merauder posted:

You were working for Iello, right? I was the guy who stepped in to take your staff picture at the booth during tear down yesterday. :)

Sup' cryptozoic?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I heard extremely vague rumors about some drama at Gen Con, in connection with a walk out at the Ennies or something like that? Does anyone have any idea what happened?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
First Gencon was a huge success. Had fun gaming and drinking with goons every day/night. Big thanks to Len for extending his room to me, and Will, Joe, Barry, and Jesse for being bros, even if we fail every coop miserably.

My haul. The only thing I bought blind was Roll for the Galaxy and Kemet but they've gotten enough praise I felt safe. Loved Arcadia Quest and got the promos for free. Happy to finally a copy of Patchwork too! I wanted to grab Dark Moon but just couldn't fit anything else in the box to ship home.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Somebody mind explaining what's up with Codenames? Why was everyone so keen to get hold of it?

I didn't get to play any games, I ran one Spirit of 77 game myself and helped run a second, both turned out great, one of them had four backers playing and afterwards they wanted us to sign their books and take pictures with them.
I didn't actually buy anything because I didn't see anything that I couldn't buy online later and that I was willing to cart around all day.
I attended a lot of panels, mostly ones done by my friends, but I realized that half the people up there have no more experience in the industry than I do, so next year I'm gunna whore myself out for a free badge and do some panels.

We stayed at the Park Place at City Center/Candlewood hotel. We referred to it as the Motel 6 Presidential Suite. The place wasn't fancy but it was HUGE, it was basically a two-bedroom apartment, with a full kitchen. One bedroom had double bed and one had a queen size, the living room had a full size pull out couch, and there was a closet in the hall easily big enough for a cot or sleeping bag. It could have comfortably slept 4-5 and if you really wanted to you could have fit 7 or more. So if you've got a lot of people and just want a place crash I'd recommend it. It's a couple miles from the convention center, but the con shuttle picks up there, and they have their own shuttle that will take you anywhere nearby every hour.

Also it looks like I caught a cold while there... :(

Where's the Gencon 2016 thread?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Gencon Post Show Release posted:

INDIANAPOLIS (August 3, 2015)Gen Con 2015 has set an all-new attendance record with a unique attendance of 61,423 and a turnstile attendance of 197,695, creating a six-year span of record growth. Since 2010, Gen Con has more than doubled in attendance. Year-over-year, Gen Con has experienced 9% attendance growth, primarily driven by 4-Day and Family Fun Day badge sales. Gen Con also has raised more than $38,500 for the convention’s Official 2015 Charity, The Julian Center.

Another 5k increase over last year. Also, someone remember this number for trivia next year.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was paid to take all that stuff. I came away from the con in the black. My room and badge were comped, I had a per diem, and got paid in stock which I swapped as well as getting free stuff (thank you FFG!). I owned Gencon (barring the parts where I was worked ragged and lost my voice, but whatever. )

So how do you manage that? Do you work for them all the time or sign up somewhere?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sup' cryptozoic?

Heyo! Hope the show went well for you guys and you enjoyed it. First time volunteering? I did it for years with CZE before coming on officially, it is exhausting work, but a lot of fun, and as your haul of product showed it can be fairly lucrative. :v: Volunteers are awesome. :hf:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Another year, another successful GenCon. It feels like everyone socialized a lot more this year, which was great. The NSDM game somehow avoided goons bringing about the nuclear apocalypse.

Ended up with Legendary Predator, The Great Devourer expansion for Conquest (thanks Lauren!), AGoT 2nd Edition (thanks Kim!), Netrunner (thanks Barry, Matt, David!), and some drat good times. Will, Jesse, Tim, Sean, Matt, all of ya, it's always a great time at the con with goons. I guess we don't ruin everything.

However, if we're stuck on a derelict ship with a possible alien lifeform aboard, I'm jettisoning myself into a cold space death the moment someone sticks their dick into an alien egg.

Those of you still Indy for awhile, PM me for Tuesday or Wednesday gaming. Those are my days off and I unfortunately work in the evenings on the other days.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My haul was modest compared to the last few years - Codenames, Heroes Wanted, preorder of Bottom of the Ninth, some Munchkin stuff for my kids - I'd've liked to have gotten Spyfall and Roll for the Galaxy, but not so much that it broke anything. Also got one of those Broken Token Dominion cases for $80, thanks, dings and dents :cool:

Most of the games this year seemed like expansions, nothing really big and new hitting, or at least, that I noticed. Did anyone get a chance to play that New York 1901?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TheHoosier posted:

However, if we're stuck on a derelict ship with a possible alien lifeform aboard, I'm jettisoning myself into a cold space death the moment someone sticks their dick into an alien egg.

Damnit Will, you just couldn't ignore that orifice.

• Locked thread