Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Cattes having tea :kimchi:

I love that Hana freaks out when she spills some but Maru doesn't give a poo poo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Actually Cheetahs are descended from ancient domesticated stock, which is why they are chill with people. The downside is that the Cheetah genepool is terribly inbred and a real problem to the ultimate survival of the species :(

Huh, never heard that theory about them being domesticated in ancient times, although I did already know about them being super inbred by mammal standards(like they're pretty much the only mammals that are more inbred than Humans, which is pretty drat amazing since all modern humans descend from a group of about 10,000 humans who survived some ancient volcanic cataclysm in Africa)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

EgoEgress posted:

Cattes having tea :kimchi:

I love that Hana freaks out when she spills some but Maru doesn't give a poo poo :v:

I wonder what kind of tea that is because my cat tried tea once out of curiosity and hated it.

Bear just wants to hang out:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

I wonder what kind of tea that is because my cat tried tea once out of curiosity and hated it.

Anything in the mint family is close enough to catnip to drive cats nuts.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You can get catnip tea.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I thought Caffeine was terrible for cats though?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Spoeank posted:

I get enough scratches on my face and neck from not waking up early enough on the weekends for feline breakfast. I can't imagine that with a cheetah.

Domestic cats are safe because they are small. They cant hurt us much even if they try. And eventually they will attack us, out of irritation or even playing. But the worst they can do is to give us some scratches.

A cheetah is no lion but they are big enough to kill or seriously harm a human. Even if they are tamed and behave like domestic cats, they are still dangerous.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kannonfodder posted:

Some friends of the family live on a farm and rescue greyhounds. Can confirm that they are super chill and relaxed 99% of the time, but when they get outside and wanna goof off, holy poo poo do they tear it up.

My dorky little terrier would try to chase, but after about two seconds he couldn't even see the greyhounds anymore, so he'd get embarrassed and come back to us.

My grandmother kept a greyhound. The one time I walked it as a kid with my Mum, she had it on a lead the whole time. We got down to the beach and my Mum thinks because she's been so well behaved, she'll let the dog off the leash. I advised her against this. As soon as it was removed, that dog was loving gone, like a cartoon character that leaves a puff of air shaped like themselves behind.

After some panicked phone calls to my grandmother (oh god we lost her dog), by sheer coincidence we found her running down the road we were driving on. We opened the door and she hopped in. She stank but she seemed pretty happy about her day out.

A Great Big Bee! has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Aug 2, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I thought Caffeine was terrible for cats though?
If you spill a drop of coffee and your cat laps it op, it's not going to drop dead. But caffeine is very poisonous to cats, dogs and pretty much all non-plant eating animals. Heck, strictly speaking the stuff is also poisonous to humans. We're just better able to deal with it.
There are caffeine-free thees though. I reckon Maru & Hana had some nice herbal thee.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Caffeine is poisonous to literally everything because that's what it is: a poison. Plants produce it because it kills insects. It acting as a stimulant for larger animals is a happy accident.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

DarklyDreaming posted:

Bear just wants to hang out:

Fun fact: polar bears don't have an 'attack face', like most other predators do. Unlike a wolf or jaguar that will communicate by growling and snarling, polar bears will just look at you in their usual way before swiping your head off.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raygereio posted:

. I reckon Maru & Hana had some nice herbal thee.

Mugomogu said in the description that it's matabati tea which is also known as silvervine and has much the same effect as catnip.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
My guinea pigs do like strange headwear:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

Domestic cats are safe because they are small. They cant hurt us much even if they try. And eventually they will attack us, out of irritation or even playing. But the worst they can do is to give us some scratches.

You are so terribly wrong.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

xcheopis posted:

You are so terribly wrong.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Is this an actual call I can listen to? Or is this image the only evidence? Because I always wanted to hear that story.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Croisquessein posted:

Is this an actual call I can listen to? Or is this image the only evidence? Because I always wanted to hear that story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdL_kW3QGzY

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I would be perfectly okay with a dog sized, chirping cheetah companion :kimchi: Can't be any worse than my current bundle of rear end in a top hat cats.

The technical term for a grouping of cats is a "clowder," but "bundle of assholes" can also suffice.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Poppy cats:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Domestic cats are safe because they are small. They cant hurt us much even if they try.

Couldn't move my ring and pinky finger on my right hand for a week due to a bite right on my hand below the fingers. In Henry Cat's defense, he had hurt his back and was in a lot of pain and we were trying to get to the e-vet. He's a lover not a fighter, but right then he didn't want me touching him and let me know it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

IndustrialApe posted:

My guinea pigs do like strange headwear:

stuffonmyguineapig.tumblr.com

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Fun fact: polar bears don't have an 'attack face', like most other predators do. Unlike a wolf or jaguar that will communicate by growling and snarling, polar bears will just look at you in their usual way before swiping your head off.

They definitely have a 'don't come any closer' face though

Bonus

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

A cheetah is no lion but they are big enough to kill or seriously harm a human. Even if they are tamed and behave like domestic cats, they are still dangerous.

Our old family cat loved my mother with all her tiny kitty heart, but she still put her in hospital for three days once after she freaked out at the vet and gave her a proper deep cat bite. Cats are safe because they love humans and don't want to kill us, so they don't bite or scratch us properly as a general rule.

For contribution, this is the cat in question (she pretty much looked like a kitten for her entire 17 years on this planet);

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

That seems to be a different cat attack. This is the one the screenshot is from (the exchange in the screenshot starts at 1:27):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwCgSnYrbTE

And here's a new cat-related emergency call, this time from Yorkshire. A man wants his girlfriend's cat arrested for eating his bacon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbY8xASTBnI

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cichlid the Loach posted:

And here's a new cat-related emergency call, this time from Yorkshire. A man wants his girlfriend's cat arrested for eating his bacon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbY8xASTBnI

Guess he wants it sent to a petitentiary facility. :haw:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

There was a dog parade today :kimchi:

Also a kitten :3:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Organza Quiz posted:

Our old family cat loved my mother with all her tiny kitty heart, but she still put her in hospital for three days once after she freaked out at the vet and gave her a proper deep cat bite. Cats are safe because they love humans and don't want to kill us, so they don't bite or scratch us properly as a general rule.

Well, that's what Im talking about. Sometimes they do attack us, and they can hurt us some.

But if your family cat was your family cheetah, your mother would be dead.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

bonewitch posted:

Shes a frumpy baby right now cause shes shedding and the moving process is stressful, so I don't want to turn on lights or bug her to get good pictures. She was fed yesterday, so no handling for a little bit.
We're also still deciding on a name, its a toss up between Baal (cause shes a Ball Python) and Victoria (because Balls are also known as Royal Pythons, and we already have a gecko called Elizardbeth). We're irredeemable dorks

http://imgur.com/a/PJcjt

Victoria for sure.

I've a Royal Python called Pliskin

Super chill pets but be aware that they are a bit dim and will climb up things they shouldn't and then fall off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think that's how you do snake whisky.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

freelop posted:

Victoria for sure.

Super chill pets but be aware that they are a bit dim and will climb up things they shouldn't and then fall off.

Snakes are lovely but compared to some other potential pet animals, they really are a bit dense. My mum's little brown dog was harassing a tree snake that was hanging out in the pot plant section of our garden one day, and it tried to escape by slithering up a palm tree. Unfortunately, it was a small potted palm tree, and it was too heavy for the palm fronds. So the higher it tried to slither, the closer to the ground it got as the frond bent under its weight. It would have kept slithering in a confused manner into the dog's little jaws but my mum was nice enough to remove him so the snake could plop in confusion onto the ground and slither up a gum tree further away.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

"If you're cold, they're cold. Bring them inside" :)

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

freelop posted:

Victoria for sure.

Yeah, we ended up going with Victoria. As for the climbing things part, the first day we got her she was climbing on the vines in her cage when I came to check on her/replace her water. She got spooked and immediately fell flat on her face. :negative:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bonewitch posted:

Yeah, we ended up going with Victoria. As for the climbing things part, the first day we got her she was climbing on the vines in her cage when I came to check on her/replace her water. She got spooked and immediately fell flat on her face. :negative:

Such elegant and majestic slippery tube dudes :swoon:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I think lions might be similar. It seems like up until they're actively clawing and biting you, all the lions I've seen keep a very unremarkable face. Actually that's very terrifying because it suggests that it takes little effort to murder the poo poo out of you.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, that's what Im talking about. Sometimes they do attack us, and they can hurt us some.

But if your family cat was your family cheetah, your mother would be dead.

If my mother did not have easy access to a hospital, she would also be dead. She nearly needed surgery, and that was after getting some antibiotics on the day and only waiting until the next morning to see that they hadn't done enough before going into hospital. If we lived in a country that didn't have universal healthcare we'd also probably be screwed. What I'm saying is that house cats can do a hell of a lot of damage, they just choose not to because they're tame. Plenty of tame animals are capable of killing a person, they just don't. No reason why cheetahs would be any different if we bred them into pets properly.

Here's some pictures of my current cat who is far too polite to ever dream of biting someone that badly:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Kitten named Osamu meets 9 other cats :3: He gets so poofy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNBRPC4nFg

Oh hell one more, Shiro & friends enjoying silvervine. The most intriguing part of the video to me is that someone got that many cats to stay in a line beside each other and then as if that wasn't enough, they got them to hold still and stay there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZU5EcN8qfQ

Tendai has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 3, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tendai posted:

Kitten named Osamu meets 9 other cats :3: He gets so poofy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNBRPC4nFg

Man first orange cat is a total dick.

It's funny how it's the adult ones that are more fearful. He's poofy but he's also the one trying to make friends, while the adults are poo poo WHAT IS THAT THING DON'T WANNA GO IN THAT ROOM AA. Ah well, cats.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Organza Quiz posted:

What I'm saying is that house cats can do a hell of a lot of damage, they just choose not to because they're tame.
a house cat can kill a level 1 wizard, no sweat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

vaguely posted:

a house cat can kill a level 1 wizard, no sweat

1d4 HP and con is a dump stat. Checks out

• Locked thread