Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Probably Magic posted:

Unironically this.

Hopeless will redeem himself for Avengers Arena if All-New X-Men ends with all of the past X-Men getting covered in X-23's trigger scent and the last issue is her murdering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

It's a cool name and costume. Kitty has never really been known for her costume or code name, so she can get away with adopting someone else's look for a while. Though I'm not sure if those guns can survive her phasing powers.

Doesn't anything she's touching when she shifts density (Ultimate Kitty can go both ways, a la Vision) go with her, she only messes up electronics if she phases through after she's ghosting?

Lurdiak posted:

I am honestly not sure how many versions of Blink are out there.

One? Maybe two if the 616 one is still around? Basically every time she's showed up in Exiles it's the AoA version. That was even a plot point in Jeff Parker's aborted run.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Because Bendis' contract says he has to write Star Lord, but he just wants to write his anime girlfriend, so by god, he'll make HER Starlord.

Since when is it "Bendis wants Kitty as his Waifu"? I thought that was Whedon's thing. I found her under Bendis not that different from her under Aaron, except a lot more of her than I really would like to see.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Because it's a cheap easy jab to make

Bendis uses Kitty as a viewpoint character, exactly what she's been for since she was created, but goons gonna make it weird

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So cheap and easy Bendis has made fun of himself for it. He absolutely had a crush on her when reading X-Men comics as a kid, but Claremont basically designed her to be the character 12 year old boys fall in love with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nah, better just pin it on me. I made up the thing Bendis said about himself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What was the Marvel thing they put out that had a bunch of 'what MU character is your spirit animal' type questions posed to various Marvel staffers? I think Bendis made the Kitty joke, and maybe Gillen or Fraction also did it but then chose someone else because "Bendis probably took her already".

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Surprisingly, I don't think so. Unless you count Daken and X-23.
There was a second Wolverine created near the end of the surprisingly great Wolverine: The Best There Is series. Is Albert of Albert and Elsie Dee fame still alive? Does anyone care? And now there is a guy who has wolverine's face in the Wolverines series. I stopped reading that series though, I wasn't really enjoying it. Maybe he is one of those other two.

edit: I only read one issue of Wolverines. Did it get better? Did people like it? I like Charles Soule well enough, I could try reading more if people like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fritzler posted:

There was a second Wolverine created near the end of the surprisingly great Wolverine: The Best There Is series. Is Albert of Albert and Elsie Dee fame still alive? Does anyone care? And now there is a guy who has wolverine's face in the Wolverines series. I stopped reading that series though, I wasn't really enjoying it. Maybe he is one of those other two.

edit: I only read one issue of Wolverines. Did it get better? Did people like it? I like Charles Soule well enough, I could try reading more if people like it.

Soule didn't write every issue and the ones he didn't write felt very disjointed. I quit after #9 or so but I have all of them sitting here and should really get back to it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, better just pin it on me. I made up the thing Bendis said about himself.

How could you. :(

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Fritzler posted:

I hated the ending so much it made me mad that I'd read the rest of them.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Edit: I only read one issue of Wolverines. Did it get better? Did people like it? I like Charles Soule well enough, I could try reading more if people like it.

As others mentioned, Soule doesn't write the whole thing, the writing varies wildly in terms of quality, everyone spends the book trying to out-idiot each other and the rare good moments burried in the book are not worth the terrible ending.

Without spoiling much, there are a couple of legitimately good scenes like Deadpool's scenes and Logan getting drunk, but even those scenes are buried in between terrible scenes (DP is introduced into the story by a new character Fantomelle who despite having a lot of screen time and being created for the series didn't really do anything other than set up an okay DP joke, and the Logan drunk scene is a flashback by an alien character whose arc dragged)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Soule didn't write every issue and the ones he didn't write felt very disjointed. I quit after #9 or so but I have all of them sitting here and should really get back to it.

It was... decent. Definitely not great, but it was an alright little book.

The final payoff was kind of hilarious in a meta way though (spoilers I guess though it doesn't really matter since the entire series will be invalidated post-Secret Wars) so it turns out that pretty much everything has been set up by Mystique pulling strings because she's trying to bring her dead lover Destiny back to life through a series of ridiculously circuitous instructions Destiny recorded on a tape before she died. At the end, after she's pulled it all off and lied and backstabbed her way to the Nexus of All Realities, she gets one last letter from Destiny like Marty at the end of Back to the Future II saying that she lied, she can't come back, but that the multiverse is ending and the universe needs a Wolverine. So faced with the choice of resurrecting Logan or death by incursion, Mystique decides "Let it burn", turns around and leaves.

I mean, don't ask me how Wolverine would have helped stop an incursion, but it was a good dark comedy moment

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 3, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Duh, he would've stabbed it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taking him off the board before the incursion plot went full steam now makes a lot of sense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I like to believe that somehow that very plot happened in our universe. Throughout convoluted means some ultra-powerful being convinced Hugh Jackman to continue being Wolverine again and again so our universe would survive the final incursions.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I bet Wolverine would've just killed the Ultimate Earth the moment he found out what was up.

Alternatively, it'd be funny if him being there just meant he said something off-hand that inspired Tony or Reed or someone to think of a genius solution and it has nothing to do with his usual murder tendencies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh great, Mystique was behind it all again :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm re-reading those Clone Saga books again because I hate myself.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh great, Mystique was behind it all again :rolleyes:

Mystique owns, though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Probably Magic posted:

Mystique owns, though.

We've had, and this is no joke, 10 years of Mystique being the mastermind of poo poo without stopping. It's so bad, that it's a joke when Mystique is behind things now because it's such an easy cop out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Probably Magic posted:

Mystique owns, though.

No she doesn't. Either that or you don't know what "owns" means.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mystique is pretty cool, she's badass and stuff.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

We've had, and this is no joke, 10 years of Mystique being the mastermind of poo poo without stopping. It's so bad, that it's a joke when Mystique is behind things now because it's such an easy cop out.

Admittedly, a lot of those storylines are poo poo, even though I think it's funny that the usual goal is the fairly benign, "Bring my girlfriend back to life." But I think she works well when she's forced to work with an X-team, as someone morally nebulous. And some of the more subtle aspects of her character, that constantly shifting around through forms has made her lose her identity, is really interesting, though rarely is it explored when she's just a general antagonist.

Like, Uncanny X-Men's upcoming lineup looks fascinating to me, except I'd throw in Evan and Juggernaut for giggles. I like the idea of converted mutant villains kinda working together. It beats, "Let's rehash the original members all over again."

If Magneto can be the mutant answer to Punisher, Mystique can be the mutant answer to Black Widow. It's my stupid little dream for the character, anyway.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 4, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've heard her solo series was cool.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Probably Magic posted:

Admittedly, a lot of those storylines are poo poo, even though I think it's funny that the usual goal is the fairly benign, "Bring my girlfriend back to life." But I think she works well when she's forced to work with an X-team, as someone morally nebulous. And some of the more subtle aspects of her character, that constantly shifting around through forms has made her lose her identity, is really interesting, though rarely is it explored when she's just a general antagonist.

Like, Uncanny X-Men's upcoming lineup looks fascinating to me, except I'd throw in Evan and Juggernaut for giggles. I like the idea of converted mutant villains kinda working together. It beats, "Let's rehash the original members all over again."

If Magneto can be the mutant answer to Punisher, Mystique can be the mutant answer to Black Widow. It's my stupid little dream for the character, anyway.

She's a good character with a lot of history that has been stuck in the role of evil Mastermind for way too long and she's just overexposed at this point. They should have used the "Get Mystique" arc to take her character off the board for a while. I mean nobody really wanted Sabertooth to come back when he did, but at least we got a few years without him. The two of them together are like the worst offenders of "comics haven't changed in 30 years" stuff. Someone kills them and everyone thinks "ok, now we'll get some new stuff." then we get the new stuff, it mostly sucks, and editors reverse and bring back old stuff.

I really hope that this post secret wars era is one where we can finally move on in a lot of ways. 616 Logan remaining dead and X-23 taking his role, or splitting it with Old Man Logan, is a status quo that I hope we can go a while without before someone decides that Uncanny X-Men #X00 needs to have the return of the original Wolverine.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

She's a good character with a lot of history that has been stuck in the role of evil Mastermind for way too long and she's just overexposed at this point. They should have used the "Get Mystique" arc to take her character off the board for a while. I mean nobody really wanted Sabertooth to come back when he did, but at least we got a few years without him. The two of them together are like the worst offenders of "comics haven't changed in 30 years" stuff. Someone kills them and everyone thinks "ok, now we'll get some new stuff." then we get the new stuff, it mostly sucks, and editors reverse and bring back old stuff.

I really hope that this post secret wars era is one where we can finally move on in a lot of ways. 616 Logan remaining dead and X-23 taking his role, or splitting it with Old Man Logan, is a status quo that I hope we can go a while without before someone decides that Uncanny X-Men #X00 needs to have the return of the original Wolverine.

Yeah, Mystique's "Will she/won't she reform?" schtick is very tired. She's the adopted mother of one X-men and the birth mother of another, she's worked for Xavier, and mutant supremacy fronts are less of a thing since Cyclops has adopted a defensive stance. There's no reason for her not to join their ranks. Her betraying the team again would be on par with Rogue losing control of her powers, Wolverine losing a girlfriend, Jean dying, Gambit saying, "Mon ami," again, etc. It would be very predictable, just like Magneto turning back to full-blown villain would be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cover for All-New X-Men #1 has a couple of new members Evan and Idie as well as the new costumes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Cover for All-New X-Men #1 has a couple of new members Evan and Idie as well as the new costumes.
I enjoy the atom incorporated into the logo. I don't know if that's been done before, but well done whoever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Also shows off Archangel.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Interesting. Who's the fire wing guy though?

I like Evan and Idie, and think they'll be a good fit for the team. Although last I remember of Evan he became Apocalypse because of SIXIS. Which I didn't really like at all, seeing as such a huge part of his character was the nature vs nurture thing. Having him turn Apocalypse just because of a stupid villain really pissed me off.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, SIXIS was bad, so there you go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, Evan was always going to turn into Apocalypse at some point. I'd imagine he'll do it again as well.

What the hell does Oya mean, anyway?

And I guess Angel got the arch in the Black Mirror arc that I haven't read yet, huh?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

As a fan of Archangel, I like the idea that young Angel gets to be a cosmic sun angel instead of a metal angel of death.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

zoux posted:

What the hell does Oya mean, anyway?

http://www.thaliatook.com/AMGG/oya.php

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

krakagar posted:

Interesting. Who's the fire wing guy though?

I like Evan and Idie, and think they'll be a good fit for the team. Although last I remember of Evan he became Apocalypse because of SIXIS. Which I didn't really like at all, seeing as such a huge part of his character was the nature vs nurture thing. Having him turn Apocalypse just because of a stupid villain really pissed me off.

I mean, doesn't that actually reinforce the nature vs. nurture thing? If him inverted is Apocalypse, then he's on the right track.
Sidenote: I didn't read SIXIS so I don't know if that's actually what happened.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Scott's X-Factor-esque costume.

Those were great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah everything looks great. Well, except for the creative team :whitewater:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hopeless been writing some good Spider Woman, and Bagley Ultimate Spider-Maning the X Kids ain't bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the last team book Hopeless was on?

Also it's a matter of personal taste but I can't stand Bagley.

• Locked thread