Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since Jee-Han doesn't need to worry about making a living, he has to figure what he wants to do with his life besides grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Serious Frolicking posted:

Since Jee-Han doesn't need to worry about making a living, he has to figure what he wants to do with his life besides grinding.

Buddy cop adventures with Noum is the correct answer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

more grinding

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Spreadsheets to optimize the grinding.

Then grinding his spreadsheet skill to optimize the spreadsheets to optimize the grinding.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Desuwa posted:

Spreadsheets to optimize the grinding.

Then grinding his spreadsheet skill to optimize the spreadsheets to optimize the grinding.

Excel is now level 5!

You may now play EVE online.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eventually his dungeons will probably start dropping poo poo that is world/conflict altering in terms of the abyss.

Also, no way he doesn't end up spawning a raid dungeon that requires the assistance of his friends. Jee-han will get to play real-life raid-lead, to which as a brain-damaged survivor of being a RL for 7+ years in WoW I say good loving luck.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ice Phisherman posted:

It seems that the purpose of laundering the money isn't to make it legal. The money is legal tender and spendable. The problem is that seventeen year old boys don't get tons of money dropped out of them unless their parents are rich and/or connected. He can buy all of the magic potions, spell books, artifacts and apparently super illegal contraband he wants off Abyss. If he tries to buy a house then that's a problem. Laundering isn't magical. It's just making it look like you have a legitimate source for the money, usually through a business.

I assume that eventually money is going to be just another boring thing he'll pay attention to somedays and then look away as he absorbs yet another spell book that someone would take year to commit to heart. Money, food, shelter and maybe even sleep will probably be things he no longer really needs to worry about.

I'm sure there's an abyss guy you can hire to make it look like you won the lottery or designed a popular app. Maybe there actually is no lottery. All the winners are predetermined rich people that are just laundering their money.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fabricated posted:

Eventually his dungeons will probably start dropping poo poo that is world/conflict altering in terms of the abyss.

Also, no way he doesn't end up spawning a raid dungeon that requires the assistance of his friends. Jee-han will get to play real-life raid-lead, to which as a brain-damaged survivor of being a RL for 7+ years in WoW I say good loving luck.

He starts explaining what class everyone is and no one really understands besides his one kung-fu buddy.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I had been reading the Slime Tensei novels on and off for a few weeks but finally caught up to the translations today.

I thought it was being a little too idealistic and I wasn't sure where it was going but :drat: volume 4.

e: Also for what it's worth the translations of the novel have the author's blessing, at least in terms of hosting it for free.

On topic: Jee Han seriously needs to get some other elementals. Gnome is cute and bloodthirsty and the others should be no different; though I can definitely understand not wanting to introduce too many characters at once it does feel strange that he hasn't tried to start grinding them. Gotta diversify your elements so you can beat people with high earth resistance.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 2, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Finished burning through Slime Tensei too. That escalated pretty quickly!

EDIT: It's actually pretty great how Rimuru vs Hinata was pretty much the two opposing poles of RPG Reincarnation main characters meeting up. Rimuru literally just finishes making the lives of six orphans happier and then just gets punked out of nowhere by this ridiculously overpowered GRRRRR GRITTY rear end in a top hat with ludicrously deadly attacks.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 2, 2015

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I also just finished through the Slime webnovel translations, that was a pretty fun read. Loving all the skills he gets and stuff. Anything else i should read, other then the gamer & overlord?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Depends on what you're looking for. The trapped in a game/transported to a game-like world genre of light and web novels has exploded over the last few years. Not a lot of it is as easily digestible as Slime or The Gamer though and a lot of it gets bogged down in horrible, horrible 'romances' that trainwreck what would otherwise be fun read.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Cynic Jester posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. The trapped in a game/transported to a game-like world genre of light and web novels has exploded over the last few years. Not a lot of it is as easily digestible as Slime or The Gamer though and a lot of it gets bogged down in horrible, horrible 'romances' that trainwreck what would otherwise be fun read.

I do love seeing things from the monsters side, as in overlord and slime. Any more like that?

I indeed dont care about romance trainwrecks yeah. No goddamn sword art online or worse yeah

Maybe i should go read up on the log horizon? S2 of the anime wasnt as good but novel might get better again?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Only Sense Online is about the same level of comfortable enjoyment as The Gamer and Slime Reincarnation. Only really weird thing about it is the genderbend, which is admittedly a solution to the classic "the main character is never on the cover" issue.

Though I should probably note that OSO is even slower paced than the other two and doesn't really seem to be gearing up for anything huge either.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
OSO is basically chilling out in an MMO world from the POV of a support/crafter-type character.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Captain_duck posted:

I do love seeing things from the monsters side, as in overlord and slime. Any more like that?

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? is about a girl reborn as a spider, with a bunch of game jargon. The translation isn't great, but it's readable.

All the other decent monster PoV LNs I can think of are all dropped after only a few chapters of translation.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

It's not exactly "trapped in a game" but more people should check out "How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword" cause it's basically about some vagrant bum dude accidentally getting himself involved in a hero quest and taking up the quest himself along the way. It's kind of a DQ5 parody and scratches the same sort of itch that these sorts of stories fill.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

It's not exactly "trapped in a game" but more people should check out "How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword" cause it's basically about some vagrant bum dude accidentally getting himself involved in a hero quest and taking up the quest himself along the way. It's kind of a DQ5 parody and scratches the same sort of itch that these sorts of stories fill.

Hahahaha this sounds great.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Cynic Jester posted:

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? is about a girl reborn as a spider, with a bunch of game jargon. The translation isn't great, but it's readable.

All the other decent monster PoV LNs I can think of are all dropped after only a few chapters of translation.

Reading this now, thanks! Translation isnt great but its better then the chapters translated by guro in slime reincarnatation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What about that manga with the cross dimensional heroes who get a message board?
That seemed like a fun read.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
What translation are people using for slime tensei? The one's I've seen are all nearly unreadable.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Paracelsus posted:

What translation are people using for slime tensei? The one's I've seen are all nearly unreadable.

I read http://circustranslations.com/chapter-list/

The circus translated chapters are readable enough, especially later in. The ones translated by guro are all horrible, you just have to power through em AFAIK.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently guro is a Japanese guy working on his English with his brother. Or so I gathered from comments.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What about that manga with the cross dimensional heroes who get a message board?
That seemed like a fun read.

Hero Union BSS is really good too, yeah

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Hero Union BSS is really good too, yeah

The loving wizard hero keeps digging himself a deeper hole last I checked on him.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Artificer posted:

The loving wizard hero keeps digging himself a deeper hole last I checked on him.

Sage of the Forest (lol)?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Sage of the Forest (lol)?

Yeah, that guy.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

SerSpook posted:

Apparently guro is a Japanese guy working on his English with his brother. Or so I gathered from comments.

.... So it's a parallel of Duwang? Sadly, it'll probably never be such a beautiful translation as Duwang, but second best isn't bad.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Captain_duck posted:

I read http://circustranslations.com/chapter-list/

The circus translated chapters are readable enough, especially later in. The ones translated by guro are all horrible, you just have to power through em AFAIK.

The Guro translations get significantly more readable later on. They're all translating at a reasonably good clip too.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The Guro translations aren't good but they're serviceable.

Go try to read the mondaiji-tachi translations if you want some truly awful "translations". Literally gave me a headache and I still couldn't make sense of some sentences.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

FriggenJ posted:

The Guro translations get significantly more readable later on. They're all translating at a reasonably good clip too.

It's more that he got an editor.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Only Sense Online is about the same level of comfortable enjoyment as The Gamer and Slime Reincarnation. Only really weird thing about it is the genderbend, which is admittedly a solution to the classic "the main character is never on the cover" issue.

Though I should probably note that OSO is even slower paced than the other two and doesn't really seem to be gearing up for anything huge either.

I read a bit of this and man it mostly wish there was an actual MMO that interesting, even without VR. It's like a UO/SWG/archeage that didn't suck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
OSO is the only fictional vrmmo I've seen that actually has viable gameplay systems instead of thinly veiled excuses for why the mc is so much better than everyone else.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

OSO is the only fictional vrmmo I've seen that actually has viable gameplay systems instead of thinly veiled excuses for why the mc is so much better than everyone else.

The only problem with OSO is the conceit that an MMO community would only have a few players willing to try various skills, even if they were publicly derided. Not only do you have the poopsockers hunting for the next big thing but you also have all the roleplayers and whatnots who will gladly play a subpar class. And that people wouldn't use the buff skill(that buffs both physical and magical damage, along with every other stat) because the range on the buffs is low shows an astounding ignorance of just how far players go to eke out even the slightest advantage. I imagine every party and every solo player would run it, no questions asked.

Edit: It's still much better than the concept of hidden classes and completely broken equipment that is the current trend. As if any major MMO developer would develop a class that not only is more powerful than other classes, but also restricted to a single character.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 4, 2015

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Quan Zhi Gao Shou Has probably the best gimmick because the main character is legitimately one of the top competitive players in the world making a new anonymous start on a new server after getting fired from his team because he didn't like the publicity.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cynic Jester posted:

Really enjoying this one. She really works for her upgrades.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cynic Jester posted:

As if any major MMO developer would develop a class that not only is more powerful than other classes, but also restricted to a single character.

Tera. Technically two cases for that game. The Gunner class requires you to play a high/dark elf female. The reaper class, which basically plays like Kratos, is restricted to the elin aka the pedobait race. And you need to hit level 40 to be able to make a reaper at all.

Both classes are really loving easy to play and fun which is a real shame.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Brainamp posted:

Tera. Technically two cases for that game. The Gunner class requires you to play a high/dark elf female. The reaper class, which basically plays like Kratos, is restricted to the elin aka the pedobait race. And you need to hit level 40 to be able to make a reaper at all.

Both classes are really loving easy to play and fun which is a real shame.

The difference is that anyone can still play them if they adhere to the restrictions. In LNs/WNs, hidden classes are typically restricted to a single player.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

The only problem with OSO is the conceit that an MMO community would only have a few players willing to try various skills, even if they were publicly derided. Not only do you have the poopsockers hunting for the next big thing but you also have all the roleplayers and whatnots who will gladly play a subpar class. And that people wouldn't use the buff skill(that buffs both physical and magical damage, along with every other stat) because the range on the buffs is low shows an astounding ignorance of just how far players go to eke out even the slightest advantage. I imagine every party and every solo player would run it, no questions asked.

I main a Dervish in Guild Wars and I love the class to pieces, you get a scythe and you can turn into the avatar of the gods! Including Balthazar, the god of fire and war :black101: If that's not your thing and you care about ur dee pee ess, then the current meta is Pious Renewal or Vow of strength/Sand Shards. Meaning "I like having a buff that recovers more MP than it costs, heals me and has no recharge time!" and "I want to hit dudes who come within 2 m of me like 20 times every few seconds" respectively.
As much as I love this class it has been an up-and-down experience.

See, GW1 has a cross class system. You can have a primary class (which you pick during character creation) and a secondary class. While you will never be as effective as a secondary class as someone who uses that same class as his primary (because each class has a passive ability unique to that class which is not shared when it's a secondary), you will still have some advantages, like being able to use that class' weapon(s). GW1 has an emphasis on build experimentation, so you can respec your stats at will. The only thing that stays locked is your primary class.

Dervs were a class introduced in the third game, Nightfall. They immediately drew nerd ire because their class weapon, scythes, had the highest damage potential in the game and can hit up to three targets adjacent to the derv. Their big gimmick was that they used derv buffs, then used a skill which removed the buff, which gave their attacks a short-lasting extra effect and provided a small number of HP and MP recovery. These skills did not tell the difference between derv buffs and non-derv buffs. You can see how this became a problem.

At this point, one smartass who played an Assassin (the rogue class. Anyone who mains one is always, without failure, a spergy rear end in a top hat) discovered that he could use Derv as a secondary class, and then using Shadow Form became the god of the battlefield who could literally solo endgame content.

Neoman, I hear you say, what is Shadow Form? Good question! Here is what Shadow Form is, at the time this as going down

Shadow Form

Skill icon:

Description:

quote:

10 energy, 1 second cast time, 60 second recharge
Elite Enchantment Spell. For 5...17...20 seconds, all hostile Spells that target you fail and all attacks against you miss. When Shadow Form ends, lose all but 5...41...50 Health.

An Elite Assassin buff that makes you completely invincible to all enemy attacks. This skill's either your Lord and Saviour or a succinct description of everything wrong with GW1's balance. It got so bad that the developers actually created enemies in the endgame just to counter SF. (They're the Skeletons of Dhuum, if you're curious)
But it only lasts 17-20 seconds! Is it really that bad? Yes because there are ways to extend this time (Deadly Paradox and pre-nerf Extend Enchantments). And no, there is basically no way for other classes to use this skill as effectively as primary assassins do.

Needless to say, devs had no way of competing with this sort of bullshit. The developers solved this by nerfing Extend Enchantments and a few other skills necessary for the build to work. Well all this did was turn assassins into scythe-wielding DPS characters who can outdo a derv's damage any day. And when that got boring, they ditched the scythe and simply used SF and Sliver Armor (a skill that does radial damage whenever you get hit. Just because you take no damage, doesn't mean you didn't get hit :v:)

A few nerfs to derv skills later and they were relegated to the dreaded Joke Class category.
I was actually in a (pubbie) guild where this conversation happened:

"You basically want all the dervish scythe skills on your sin [short for assassin, natch]"
"yeah there's nobody who plays a derv anymore"
"joke class lol"
Me: "I main a derv"
"LOL"
"are you serious??"
"wow dude"

Luckily the developers retooled the gently caress out of that class. They got a shiny new buff type, they got an improved passive (basically it reduces the MP cost of all derv skills. Notably the assassin favorites got significantly increased MP costs :chord:) and their mechanics have been considerably refined. They are considered one of the best classes in the game nowadays.

Ya know, if anyone still played GW1.

Cynic Jester posted:

Edit: It's still much better than the concept of hidden classes and completely broken equipment that is the current trend. As if any major MMO developer would develop a class that not only is more powerful than other classes, but also restricted to a single character.

EVE Online gave unique space ships to contest winners. You will never see one because the last time one of those sailed the stars it got blown the gently caress up because EVE. That ship is essentially forever gone, and everyone else hoards their's in their space garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Natsunokumo gives the MC a overpowered unique weapon that 1) can only be activated when he's below 10% health and 2) is permanently deleted from the game when his character dies. It gives him a realistic reason to be overpowered, and adds an element of risk in a setting where anyone else can just respawn without losing anything tangible.

Convince someone to read a manga with one image! posted:

Natsunokumo

I had trouble picking a single image because every page of this is beautiful. The character is a assassin/therapist in a virtual reality game. He helps to cure gaming addicts by PKing them until they delete their characters and quit the game. He gets hired to protect a community for abused children undergoing virtual group therapy after one of the members kills their family in real life and draws the attention of every player-killer in the online world. By the author of Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru.