Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628234799535165442

Micah Whipple is former Blizzard CM Bashiok. Discuss.

He had the qualifications to be the CM for any company though, and picked Carbine for some god forsaken reason. Guy probably wants a break and figures a very small community is preferable than another huge one, regardless of how dumb and vitriolic it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
So wow is the titanic, and escape on the S.S. minnow.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Is Wildstar free yet?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No just free fall.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hooooly poo poo. Seriously? How can you possibly go from Blizz to Wildstar? I literally cannot fathom any possible reason. Hell at least the people on the inside of Carbine have the sipping the flavor-aid too long excuse. But you can literally watch this thing sink.

:psyduck:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Saxophone posted:

Hooooly poo poo. Seriously? How can you possibly go from Blizz to Wildstar? I literally cannot fathom any possible reason. Hell at least the people on the inside of Carbine have the sipping the flavor-aid too long excuse. But you can literally watch this thing sink.

You say that as if this is the first time

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Maybe he thought leaving Blizzs sinking ahip would be a good thing, but no one but carbine would hire him with his experience

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Since he's a manager can he reassign Timetraveller.

Bashiok please reassign Timetraveller to another game. :getin:

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 3, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Saxophone posted:

If anything this will be hilarious, because Bashiok has absolutely no love for stupid customers.

I want to watch him rip people to shreds on the forums. :v:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Came for the laughs, was not disappointed.

10/10 - Would read thread again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628234799535165442

Micah Whipple is former Blizzard CM Bashiok. Discuss.

lol, "Whipple"

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Saxophone posted:

I had the same thought but he actually went to NCsoft, not Carbine. So he'll be involved with Wildstar but won't be out of a job when it crashes and burns.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

-Inu- posted:

I had the same thought but he actually went to NCsoft, not Carbine. So he'll be involved with Wildstar but won't be out of a job when it crashes and burns.

Maybe he'll be the one who laughs at the despondent faithful when it's time to shutter wildstar.

...I originally spelled that shitter

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Since he's a manager can he reassign Timetraveller.

Bashiok please reassign Timetraveller to Blade and Souls. :getin:

Community Manager. Basically a paid forum mod, pretty much as low as you can get on the corporate ladder. It comes with the mindless worship of the people who post on the official forum.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The best CM meltdown was Tseric though, that would be the perfect person for carbine.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Unguided posted:

Community Manager. Basically a paid forum mod, pretty much as low as you can get on the corporate ladder. It comes with the mindless worship of the people who post on the official forum.

He said "Content Manager," that's still a forum mod position?

Darn it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

is that gross or profit

because one is way, way worse

Oh it's gross alright. :haw:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

He said "Content Manager," that's still a forum mod position?

Darn it.

Depends on the job description. It's generally in the same area; working as the editor for the news announcements on the website, making sure the website is working properly, maintaining the official social media accounts, basically being the person in charge of the company's public face because the company shouldn't be the kind of people who post winner.gif.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
He's a senior manager at NCsoft, not Carbine. He's also going to be involved with Blade & Soul, which is adding to the paranoiac Wildstar deadenders' worry that NCsoft is just trying to kill WS without technically shutting it down.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maybe they'll kill the wildstar servers and use them for B&S :tinfoil:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Surprise! They kill WIldstar and use it's servers to bring back City of Heroes

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010

Byolante posted:

The best CM meltdown was Tseric though, that would be the perfect person for carbine.

I just looked this up. That is something.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
For those that are curious but don't want to look it up, here is Tseric's meltdown about the hazards of MMO communities.

Tseric's first post posted:

When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make. Until you face mobs of psychology, you will not see my side.

Until you see some bright-eyed player coming onto the forums wanting to know what they should spec as this class, and see them shat on and driven away by petty and selfish people who are simply leveraging for game buffs, you will not understand.

You will not understand until you have to see it daily, for years...

Until you understand that many people will trod over you to get where they're going, or to get what they want.

Until you understand that so many people will agree, completely, 100% with a loud, vulgar and assertive individual, not because he is right, but because he is making a stand against "the Man"; to take no critical thought in what they say, but simply to hop on board.

Until you actually try to acknowledge those who do not speak on the forums, for whatever reason they have, you will not understand.

If you think an archaic business formula like "the customer is always right" works, you fail to understand customers, not a customer. It is a collective. No one person, even myself, is truly above the whole.

I simply have the unfortunate quality of being easily singled out.

Tseric's second post posted:

Can't help it.
Posting impassionately, they say you don't care.
Posting nothing, they say you ignore.
Posting with passion, you incite trolls.
Posting fluff, you say nonsense.
Post with what facts you have, they whittle down with rationale.
There is no win.
There is only slow degradation.
Take note. It is the first and only time you'll see someone in my position make that position.
You can be me when I'm gone.

Tseric's third post, responding to a joke about him posted:

I'm sure you all think you're hilarious in your own space/mind.

Get off my internet.

kthx

The job seems to test the limits of human patience. All MMOs seem to attract a very angry, implacable audience, but Wildstar's sounds extra unpleasant.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 4, 2015

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Tseric was a case of someone who had some trouble maintaining the stark wall of separation between what people on the forums thought of him and what he felt. He legitimately set out to try and help people understand things, but the forums ground him down. He had to deal with some fascinating characters:

Blast from the past posted:

Originally, this web site was devised as a way to counteract the unfair censorship which was talking place on Blizzard Entertainment's World Of Warcraft forums. Back at that time, Tessera was leading a minor revolt of sorts, amongst hundreds of people who played the Mage class in Blizzard's popular MMO. During the course of that confrontation, Blizzard resorted to several underhanded tactics in their efforts to squash that mini-rebellion... it was an embarrassing (for Blizzard) spectacle, which Blizzard no doubt perceived as a possible threat to their revenues. The situation in early 2006 became increasingly heated and confused... finally culminating with Tessera being permanently banned from the Blizzard boards. Incidentally, it is interesting to note that all three of the public relations employees who were responsible for undermining Tessera's efforts were themselves eventually fired from their jobs at Blizzard Entertainment. It has even been alleged that one of them... a megalomaniacal PR agent known as Tseric... went completely off the deep end and ultimately wound up in a rehab. This rumor has not been verified, however.

(I'm one of the three mentioned, and nope, I disappeared then because I moved into dev. Second one wasn't let go either.)

Great guy to know personally, though, and I hope he's doing well out there. I saw just about everyone break in some way (including me) during my time on that team; his was just the most public.

Regarding Micah, the Senior Content Manager position is mainly about getting copy out on the website and not so much about forum interaction. It's good to see him, though, and I trolled him with tree avatars on the first day as is tradition. :v:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
You're a stronger person than me, since if I had to have that kind of job, it'd probably end in homicide-suicide.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AlmightyBob posted:

Surprise! They kill WIldstar and use it's servers to bring back City of Heroes

Which would be incredibly ironic given the fact that City of Heroes servers are apparently being used for Wildstar's infrastructure.

Edit: Oh come on, not everyone knows that hilarious tidbit. They wouldn't get it otherwise.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 4, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Archonex posted:

Which would be incredibly ironic given the fact that City of Heroes servers are apparently being used for Wildstar's infrastructure.

:thejoke:

v Don't you dare ruin this for me

Morglon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 4, 2015

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Archonex posted:

I think that particular gossip ended up being bullshit.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pesterchum posted:

I think that particular gossip ended up being bullshit.

There was a screenshot posted somewhere that showed the servers being up on the login client but with no capability to make a proper connection. I think maybe on the fan forums that are obsessed about the game?

It might have gotten reposted in the SA thread at some point. But ahahaha gently caress you if you think you're going to retain your sanity wading through who knows how many pages of rage and nostalgia just to find it. Not that I can blame them. I know a few people who still want that game to come back and will happily bitch about its closure at the drop of a hat.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Mages were soo loving bad in 2005-2006

Despera fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 4, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In a way I really miss the old wild west wow forums but looking back at them now I feel really bad for the CMs who came it to clean up the messes people like me caused.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Spending two hours making water pre-raid will make you want to fight the power

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Archonex posted:

There was a screenshot posted somewhere that showed the servers being up on the login client but with no capability to make a proper connection. I think maybe on the fan forums that are obsessed about the game?

It might have gotten reposted in the SA thread at some point. But ahahaha gently caress you if you think you're going to retain your sanity wading through who knows how many pages of rage and nostalgia just to find it. Not that I can blame them. I know a few people who still want that game to come back and will happily bitch about its closure at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, I'm not willing to go hunting for it but I'm pretty sure someone looked at the code for that page and it was set to always show the servers being 'online' no matter what.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Deki posted:

You're a stronger person than me, since if I had to have that kind of job, it'd probably end in homicide-suicide.

I'd probably get fired for heckling.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The COH -> wildstar thing is hilarious since while it's possible that individual components might have been reused, the idea that COH was shuttered only because NCsoft needed more servers is dumb as poo poo. An action based "modern" MMO probably takes a bit more horsepower than a decade old dressup game. The real reason COH died is because Paragon studios was incompetent as poo poo and NCsoft was tired of throwing money at them with no real results.

I do actually want COH to come back now since it's going to be like 90% obsessive weirdos and will be a hilarious trainwreck. Pretty much everyone tolerable has to have moved on now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Silent Fang

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
^ the best old school forums drama

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deki posted:

obsessive weirdos

They still have a thread and talk about stuff even though the game has been dead for 2+ years :psyboom:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They still have a thread and talk about stuff even though the game has been dead for 2+ years :psyboom:

We're kind of doing the same thing here, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We at least have the excuse that it's not dead yet and there might be further idiocy happening between then and now.

• Locked thread