Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
And here I am trying to get LibreOffice to work with Google Apps (because sometimes you need a word processor or spreadsheet that isn't completely crap or that has a hope in hell of not mangling that docx). They've literally just got someone working on having GDrive work well, will probably not suck in 5.1. We'll see, we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dillbag posted:

Maybe Hans Gruber was holding the user's wife at gunpoint.

KoRMaK posted:

ho ho ho... now i have a roll of decorative christmas tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEUTq6R2oU
:colbert:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Ignore that feeling. That's the Stockholm Syndrome talking. You shouldn't give a flying poo poo what your job thinks of whatever if it means you're getting out of it and into a better one. You only get so many chances, and you best take the ones that present themselves to you, because they're only going to get harder to find once you ignore the easy ones.

This is true. I just wish the potential new place had some flexibility - the managers have weird schedules, 7-3:30, and I'd have to take PTO to make it given the location. I've got an in-person in the city that I'm waiting on a confirm for, and at least I can use "hey, I had doc appointments for me/wife during the bereavement that we now have to reschedule" for a PTO request. That makes less hullabaloo than "ZOMG WIFE/I'M IN HOSPITAL."

It's the drat part-timer starting. I don't know if it's "this poor kid, his first impression of me will be nonexistent thus loving us all over" or "poor me, victim of circumstance beyond my control." Time to assert myself over the idea of suffering or some poo poo like that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MJP posted:

It's not gonna be fun tomorrow when I fake a medical emergency and not be in for a few hours. Not the first time I've had to but last time I played that card was a few months ago.

As much as I want out I feel like I should be saving no-shows with emails of "wife had seizure" etc. for the real deal, especially given that I forced my boss' rescheduling of his own stuff, but I don't know how much of this is just residual interpersonal-interaction guilt or just inertia. I really don't feel good that I couldn't make this happen legitimately but there was no way they would let me have time off on the first morning of the new guy coming in.

Car accident or health crisis with my father? I need something that HR couldn't verify if they chose to, and if I say it's a medical emergency for my wife or me they could always ask the insurance if I have any claims. It's really stupid of me to try to preserve decorum but I'm still paranoid that they'll terminate me if they find out, despite how much it shoots them in the foot, doubly so now that I have a part-timer to train up.

My personal choice: claim you have had explosive diarrhea.

If anyone even starts to question you, go into your symptoms in great detail and I guarantee they will leave you alone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spog posted:

If anyone even starts to question you, go into your symptoms in great detail and I guarantee they will leave you alone.

"I can come into work if you can provide me with a bucket." is an excuse I've used more than once. Sometimes it's even been true! Eating something bad is easy to do and can quite quickly put you in an unworkable state with no long term effects or treatment needed.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

It's not gonna be fun tomorrow when I fake a medical emergency and not be in for a few hours. Not the first time I've had to but last time I played that card was a few months ago.

As much as I want out I feel like I should be saving no-shows with emails of "wife had seizure" etc. for the real deal, especially given that I forced my boss' rescheduling of his own stuff, but I don't know how much of this is just residual interpersonal-interaction guilt or just inertia. I really don't feel good that I couldn't make this happen legitimately but there was no way they would let me have time off on the first morning of the new guy coming in.

Car accident or health crisis with my father? I need something that HR couldn't verify if they chose to, and if I say it's a medical emergency for my wife or me they could always ask the insurance if I have any claims. It's really stupid of me to try to preserve decorum but I'm still paranoid that they'll terminate me if they find out, despite how much it shoots them in the foot, doubly so now that I have a part-timer to train up.

The best thing is "explosive diarrhea". Start subtle, "extremely upset stomach". No one wants details on that. If they push, " I won't make the car trip in, perhaps in a few hours once the Imodium kicks in ".

It's an excuse you can use and not feel bad for selling out a family members health.

Edit: apparently us IT guys all know this trick.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That sounds doable enough, and less overtly awful than "father can't handle his father's death, breakdown, don't wanna talk about it" or otherwise.

I don't anticipate things lasting past the point of time where I could make it in for the PM.

It'll suck having less time to get to know the guy and start training, but who am I kidding, he's in for two days a week, he won't be able to retain poo poo at this job effective enough to do anything than me delegating legwork to him.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You should only be a faint memory anyways when he looks back on what a mistake taking this job is.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you have a kid you can always pull the sick kid at home thing. I've had coworkers in the past whose kids must have had canceraids for all the sporadic time they took off.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You should only be a faint memory anyways when he looks back on what a mistake taking this job is.

Are you kidding? A college student making office dollars while being able to Learn Skills in his downtime and having an actual resume? He'll have the experience needed for an entry-level position if he plays his cards right, and in this economy even six months of part-time garbage helldesk would be his leverage into full-time garbage helldesk.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you have a kid you can always pull the sick kid at home thing. I've had coworkers in the past whose kids must have had canceraids for all the sporadic time they took off.

I keep toying with wearing a yarmulke to job interviews so I can claim I'm unable to work Friday nights/Saturdays, but I like eating salami too much. If I can't even commit to that excuse by virtue of liking pork, bringing a child into this world is probably a step in the wrong direction.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MJP posted:

It'll suck having less time to get to know the guy and start training, but who am I kidding, he's in for two days a week, he won't be able to retain poo poo at this job effective enough to do anything than me delegating legwork to him.

You feel bad about leaving the new guy in the lurch when you know how poo poo this job is. We all get it. The problem is that he signed up for it, and you didn't. It's literally 1 day that can potentially change your life for the better. gently caress him, he'll recover or move onto a better job like you're about to.

And definitely use the "polite-escalating-to-explosive diarrhea" tactic. It works wonders. Especially if you only need to be out for half the day.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Some kids do seem to get canceraids every time someone looks at them funny.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I don't know if it makes me a bad person, but I'm annoyed by this sometimes.

MJP posted:

I keep toying with wearing a yarmulke to job interviews so I can claim I'm unable to work Friday nights/Saturdays, but I like eating salami too much. If I can't even commit to that excuse by virtue of liking pork, bringing a child into this world is probably a step in the wrong direction.

I don't think you need a religious excuse to justify stating that you won't work Friday nights or Saturdays. Don't take a job that pays minimum wage, and don't take a job that doesn't have a good schedule.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

I would just aim for a job where you're not expected to work nights/weekends unless it's your turn in the on-call rotation.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I know kids do get sick and probably are more prone to the 24 hour fever vomit sickness. But seriously this one guy I worked with it was like once a week seemingly. Maybe his kid was just really ill but he never seemed to make a fuss about the kid otherwise, never fretted about the kids health in general or worried about medical bills.

This was also the same guy who I once went out to meet at a remote site and found passed out drunk sleeping under a desk and reeked like a decade old gym sock soaked in bourbon so he probably wasnt the best worker overall anyway.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I guess it's a testament to my recent jobs, but I've never had to go into more detail than "Out sick" for my last three consecutive jobs, usually getting nothing more than a "feel better" in reply.

It's a good thing they don't ask, since most of the time it's more "mental health days" than actually being sick.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A job offer is about to come in, and I know I should take it when they call but I'm having a hard time deciding.

I'm working at a growing msp but not making the money I think I'm worth. I love the work, enjoy the people I work with, I'm always protected and stuck up for by my boss, and have freedom to do anything under the sun at our clients as long as it means less work for us down the road. We're moving most of our clients to top-end technology which is easy and enjoyable to work with.

The job offer is at a credit union that, as hard as they're trying, is stuck in the past. Static IP for all workstations, dedicated t1 circuits to remote locations, ancient desktops that won't be upgraded. Everybody else in the IT department is over 45 (I'm 27). The job seems easy compared to what I'm used to and acts as tier 2, not handling any incoming calls and addressing tickets only as required. They say they're not shy and would easily approve VMware training and certification, plus anything else I requested that fits the job description. This is a brand new position they're opening after restructuring the IT department so the actual day to day flow only consists of a list of poo poo they want to hand off.

And it comes with a 10k increase in salary.

Is it worth leaving the comfort and joy of my current job for the money? I'm fully capable of the new job but, after hearing horror stories here, would hate to end up in a cesspit of stupidity and bus throwing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess it's not actually being out sick, because I almost always just work from home if I'm sick. Still, the second time I needed to work from home and I sent my boss an email for permission, he said not to bother asking permission in the future, just to let him know.

I also didn't get any questions this last week when I actually was too sick to work, other than if I was feeling better the next day when I came back in.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A job offer is about to come in, and I know I should take it when they call but I'm having a hard time deciding.

I'm working at a growing msp but not making the money I think I'm worth. I love the work, enjoy the people I work with, I'm always protected and stuck up for by my boss, and have freedom to do anything under the sun at our clients as long as it means less work for us down the road. We're moving most of our clients to top-end technology which is easy and enjoyable to work with.

The job offer is at a credit union that, as hard as they're trying, is stuck in the past. Static IP for all workstations, dedicated t1 circuits to remote locations, ancient desktops that won't be upgraded. Everybody else in the IT department is over 45 (I'm 27). The job seems easy compared to what I'm used to and acts as tier 2, not handling any incoming calls and addressing tickets only as required. They say they're not shy and would easily approve VMware training and certification, plus anything else I requested that fits the job description. This is a brand new position they're opening after restructuring the IT department so the actual day to day flow only consists of a list of poo poo they want to hand off.

And it comes with a 10k increase in salary.

Is it worth leaving the comfort and joy of my current job for the money? I'm fully capable of the new job but, after hearing horror stories here, would hate to end up in a cesspit of stupidity and bus throwing.

Is there any difference in benefits between the two places. For 10k and exactly the same benefits and commute would not be enough for me to change to a position where I would be less happy, but I really appreciate where I work. It does sound like some of the upcoming project work would be interesting though. It is a good place to be in when you can choose without being forced one way or another.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
You guys all make me happy that I have bosses that I can text "I don't feel good, I'm taking a personal day." and that is the end of the conversation.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My Consultant Saga finally came to an end.
Last August, my school district brought in a consultant to tell us everything that was wrong in the tech department. There was a lot, and we needed an outsider to come in and tell the admin that poo poo had to change. The helpdesk lead/junior admin and the network engineer left before he showed up, and never got replaced. In November, the network admin was removed because he screwed up trying to learn SCCM (the engineer's responsibility) and accidentally imaged some computers, including the superintendent's. He was never replaced. In February, my boss was told her job was ending in June, with her duties split between a new director-level position (Director of Assessment, Curriculum, and Technology) and a helpdesk manager/network admin position. Any heavy admin lifting (beyond rebooting a server), a 15-hour-a-week contracted consultant would take care of it. In April, they tell us techs that our jobs are being 'surplused' and re-written, and we'll have to re-apply to our own jobs. They're slightly higher level (more admin roles like AppV or WDS), but nothing we can't handle.
I start a small job hunt, just in case.
By the time of my interview, they've hired the new director, but still haven't gotten a manager--during the interview, it came out that they were going to look at temp agencies. I acquit myself fairly well in the interview, but two weeks later, I'm told that "There were some extremely strong candidates for the position, and therefore will not be offering one of the positions to you". The other two techs were re-hired; none of us have any degrees or certs, I had been there longer (13 years) and knew the tech more than the other two (and they would readily admit that), and I'm about 25 years younger than them. I later learn that the 'extremely strong candidate' that replaced me has a fresh degree and no experience.
I was pretty drat surprised to not get rehired--I had no discipline issues, my reviews were always good, and the staff loved me. I have to assume it was political--I was last of the 'old guard', and the two other techs are likely to retire soon or wouldn't want to risk pushing back against the planned changes.
They still haven't hired a manager.
I don't want to wish my former co-workers badly, but I hope everything blows up in admin's faces. They're a 6-school rural district that wants to act like a 50-school district, and I'm actually glad I'm not going to be there for the shitshow I'm sure is going to occur.

I got a new job after two interviews and about 10 applications. Came in second on the first one, and it would've been pretty sweet. The one I got was mostly a lateral move to a new district. Pay's about the same, which is a shame since it was already pretty low compared to other districts. Only 20 minutes away, too. Interviewed on Monday, got an offer Tuesday afternoon, started working Wednesday. I had 6 other applications into other districts and a couple local companies, but after a month I still haven't heard back from them, so I guess my hunt is done. I'd feel like an rear end leaving if I got an offer elsewhere, though.
I'm definitely going to take advantage of reimbursements and get some certs under my belt this time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

divabot posted:

And here I am trying to get LibreOffice to work with Google Apps (because sometimes you need a word processor or spreadsheet that isn't completely crap or that has a hope in hell of not mangling that docx). They've literally just got someone working on having GDrive work well, will probably not suck in 5.1. We'll see, we'll see.

Or they could just move their office suite platform to… Google Apps. Those are competent office apps in there, and sharing is easier than on a file server with .docx files. On the down side, it's different.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Front Line: We have issue X that happens every time we do Y. Could you give us a hand with it?
Me: Sure do you have a specific time that you reproduced the event so I can pull the logs?
Front Line: No
Me: Could you reproduce the event and send the time you did so?

Well ok then I guess? :confused:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mllaneza posted:

Or they could just move their office suite platform to… Google Apps. Those are competent office apps in there, and sharing is easier than on a file server with .docx files. On the down side, it's different.

That is our suite. But the Google Apps word processor and spreadsheet are IME really crappy if you want to do anything more than the very basics, and LO is ridiculously better with docx than GApps. Also, LO talks to GDrive directly, you don't have to mess about with the local sync client as you do with MS Office. Only annoying thing now is that two-factor is a PITA.

divabot fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 4, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Front Line: We have issue X that happens every time we do Y. Could you give us a hand with it?
Me: Sure do you have a specific time that you reproduced the event so I can pull the logs?
Me: Could you reproduce the event and send the time you did so?

Well ok then I guess? :confused:

Ticket closed, cannot reproduce.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

Crowley posted:

We're a Danish municipality that covers a large part of the, eh.. less inhabited part of the country. When it was time to renew the telecoms contract we joined forces with a few other municipalities and offered a sizable contract to attract better offers than we're usually getting.

The local dominating telco, TDC, guarantees 98.5% 3G coverage in Denmark. The problem is, that that's measured by population, and with the large cities easily covered you'll find spots in the countryside that remain on 2G, and that's just not good enough when so many modern services - like in-home nurses for the elderly and disabled - require always-online data connections for direct links with doctors, medical databases and such. Joining forces with other municipalities made us a nice fat target for one of the competing telcos who wound up guaranteeing 99.8% coverage geographically in our area, with 100% coverage in public buildings, two "free" cell towers we could order installed at sites we'd like better covered, and the option to buy extra towers as needed.

After the install is done we're extremely pleased with the results. When I'm in the boonies I've come to expect no less than full 3G coverage, and usually pretty decent 4G coverage except in hilly or forested areas. One of the other IT guys lives on a farm 20 miles from civilization, and he wound up cancelling his spotty ADSL because he could get 50 Mbit with a common USB dongle in his laptop at home. The only drawback for him is the 100 GB monthly limit on his new connection, but he'd rather have the extra speed for the same price. (~$58/mo)

Edit: I'd be weary of comparing the US to Denmark, or Scandinavia or Europe at all. We're much more densely populated, and thus easily covered with cellular.

I remember talking to an operator buddy of mine. he said that the coverage measurement is made with some sort of ISO standardized method where the measurements are made with something like an hand held 2-3 meter antenna. could be wrong about the details, BUT...

... how many usb 3g modems or phones comes with one of those?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Good luck with the job hunt. I briefly worked for a school district and was glad to get out when I got the chance. Hopefully you'll find something else worthwhile out there. It's nice to get a job where you don't have to worry about little shits putting an ink pen through a screen all the time.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Company I'm working at:

"Hey guys who wants to get CCNA? Let's all get CCNA! Company will pay for the training!"

Me: Still a contractor who's studying for ICND1 to be certified/work towards CCNA. :negative: Total budget for contractor education is unsurprisingly zero.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

spog posted:

This, no one questions the shits. It's even better if during your call out you start talking really quickly and say something along the lines "ohhh god, umm I gotta go uhhrightnowsorrybye" and hang up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Reminds me of when I was working for the gov't as a contractor they sent a loving paralegal to get VMWARE certified while I sat in the shop, ironically setting up our vmware environment.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Gunjin posted:

This, no one questions the shits. It's even better if during your call out you start talking really quickly and say something along the lines "ohhh god, umm I gotta go uhhrightnowsorrybye" and hang up.

I used to give reasons and excuses for taking sick time, or being in later than usual (we don't have hard and fast start times). At one point my boss just told me to stop giving reasons. I'm okay with this. Now, I only justify last-minute vacation.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
An interview came in...

Quick and dirty version: position salary maxes out at 5k above my current role. Benefit costs are around the same. Onsite gym. Ping pong tables, arcade machine, foosball. The company is a major VAR/MSP with a nationwide if not global presence. The role would be either a SQL or VMware sysadmin, and I'd cross train in other IT disciplines in order to ensure coverage. It's only internal systems, company is big on letting people grow and spread, the position is salaried but they pay OT.

They have 45 Novell servers still active, all physical machines on single CPU single core hardware, but I wouldn't be touching those. They're kept alive for legacy data purposes.

Fully casual dress code - jeans during the week, dress-down Fridays, which means shorts and sandals and Hawaiian shirts are OK.

The commute is longer with no traffic, on roads that get trafficky. I'd be looking at 10-20 minutes extra time on the road depending on what's going on.

It's a mixed bag. If things move on to the next round and they make an offer, I plan to push for some kind of guaranteed annual minimum bonus and have the guarantee in writing, checked out by a lawyer. If not that, extra PTO or maybe even a couple days telecommuting per week.

I have an interview with a media/radio company in the city on Thursday, which is less huge of a company - around 100 people, solely supporting the NY market's stations - and a smaller IT team, so that's closer to what I'm looking for, but the title is a vertical move. Salary's within my hopeful range for NYC but it'd involve either NJ Transit -> NJ Transit -> subway or NJ Transit -> PATH -> PATH transfers. Easy walk from PATH or subway once I get there.

Another is in the works for next Wednesday, but yet to confirm. At least that one I can request PTO - I'd have to, given that they want early afternoon.

I was about 3 hours late. No questions have been asked as of yet, and I just met the new guy. Seems sharp, doesn't look very college student-ish. I still have yet to see his resume, he came in, we shook hands, then HR pulled him out for more training.

I think my hesitation was more out of a sense of professionalism. I don't like lying. Oh what a tangled web we weave and all that. I have no real alternative in this case, and maybe this is me just trying to rationalize, but I feel like if I'm going to be professional I can't pull random no-notice half-days like this. I don't want to jeopardize the possibility of a personal reference from my manager, seeing as I have literally no co-workers here.

Then again if he says no, I intend to go out shouting all the details of our CFO and what firms he's had bought out over time. Time to burn bridges.
:goonsay:

(I probably am incapable of burning bridges)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here are the two books I just ordered for a coworker to support our sweet sweet AS400 system:

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Language-Programming-IBM-i/dp/1583473580
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-CL-Ted-Holt/dp/1583470905

I'm glad I don't have to read those.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Emushka posted:

I remember talking to an operator buddy of mine. he said that the coverage measurement is made with some sort of ISO standardized method where the measurements are made with something like an hand held 2-3 meter antenna. could be wrong about the details, BUT...

... how many usb 3g modems or phones comes with one of those?

That's not the same thing at all. The coverage measurements are the absolute values of RF field strength from the radiating antenna (the tower). A measurement device doing signal surveys does not affect or change the strength of the transmitted signal, they're simply taking measurements of the RF coming from the tower. A better/more sensitive receiver doesn't change those values, it simply changes the lower bound for the threshold at which a radio signal degenerates into noise (at least until you hit the noise floor, then it's gone). It also allows for more precision when taking measurements.

Now if they were measuring transmission FROM the field device TO the tower, that's a different story. A larger antenna array and more powerful transceiver makes a world of difference for communication originating from the client. Very much like 802.11 wireless networking.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client won't let me put my laptop on their network for security reasons. So I'm sitting in the server room directly connected to the NAS and uploading logs via LTE tether.

:feelsgood:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MJP posted:

An interview came in...

Sounds promising at least. Might be worth it if you get to do something cool in a less stressful environment for a year or two and then can jump ship to something else. As far as the lawyer reviewing the offer letter, that may be going overboard I dont know. I've had bonuses written in to offer letters that basically just said "guaranteed %10 of salary bonus in year one with a minimum %5 thereafter" type deal. I think so long as you have it in writing you're good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
New employee drops by to say her phone doesn't work. I ask for specifics and she says she has no dial tone. She says she checked the cables and they were secure. I walk over and see that the display looks normal, but when I check the handset there is indeed no dial tone. I flip the phone to unplug the network cable so I can reboot and see that the handset is plugged into the secondary ethernet jack on the bottom.

I plug it back into the headset jack and she says "it's always been like that."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dick Trauma posted:

"Then someone is loving with you because it won't ever work plugged into the wrong jack".

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GreenNight posted:

Here are the two books I just ordered for a coworker to support our sweet sweet AS400 system:

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Language-Programming-IBM-i/dp/1583473580
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-CL-Ted-Holt/dp/1583470905

I'm glad I don't have to read those.

I would probably pay someone to take the huge useless pile of those books off my hands.

Along with the many books about CL and RPG, old (now retired and ) AS400 guy went to the IBM knowledgebase circa year loving 2000 or something (Only about 4? 5?+ versions of the OS ago) and printed literally the entire thing. Then put it in binders. It is taking up 5 cabinets in our IT hallway.

(seriously CL is easy as gently caress to deal with and the 400 itself will hand hold you the whole way with prompts and help for every command).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dick Trauma posted:

New employee drops by to say her phone doesn't work. I ask for specifics and she says she has no dial tone. She says she checked the cables and they were secure. I walk over and see that the display looks normal, but when I check the handset there is indeed no dial tone. I flip the phone to unplug the network cable so I can reboot and see that the handset is plugged into the secondary ethernet jack on the bottom.

"Then tell your co-workers to stop wasting my time.
Or at the very least, find out which one of them it is."

Most of our users don't have admin rights on their machines. One of the exceptions are the engineers working on our software. One them kept bugging me about win10 and asking when are we updating his computer and he jokingly said he was going to upgrade it himself.
Guess who doesn't have local admin anymore?

e: clarity

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 4, 2015

• Locked thread