Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

That is a comprehensively demolished building. Would like to be a fly on the wall when the crane team have the debrief with their management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

darkwasthenight posted:

That is a comprehensively demolished building. Would like to be a fly on the wall when the crane team have the debrief with their management.

It is a fairly short debrief: You are all fired, get your poo poo and get the gently caress out of my sight.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bone_Enterprise posted:

It is a fairly short debrief: You are all fired, get your poo poo and get the gently caress out of my sight.

...but not the country, someone will be contacting you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gfdi

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh great someone is using a box to prop open the PCR laboratory because they're too lazy to whip out their ID cards to scan for entry because everything is locked on this Canadian holiday.

At least it's not the lab where we actually process the cow/horse/sheep poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GotLag posted:

Did the person reading the crane load chart not realise the barge would also rotate when the load moved off centre?

Speaking as someone who works for a place that trains crane operators....probably not. There's a disturbing number of crane operators (even certified ones; the Netherlands requires a TCVT certification for cranes of that size to be legally operated) who just go by gut feelings instead of using math or weren't properly trained in unusual lifting situations like being on a floating barge. It's honestly not surprising at all if I found out that a bad supervisor or lift director said "Just go with it guys, we need this job done!" and the operators had little to no experience lifting on a barge, so they didn't think "Maybe the barge listing is a bad thing" until it was already past the point of no return.

And yes, there's definitely guys who get certification when they really shouldn't have. Bad training and lack of oversight for the certification process can and has led to people getting certification cards and running off to job sites without having actually passed the tests or met the requirements. Not gonna go into any more specifics as long as I work in this field, but let's just say that a certain crane accident in New York recently was one of those guys.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The twenty wounded figure for that falling crane was completely wrong. It was based on how many people called the emergency number going "oh god, people are probably hurt please send help".

Currently, they have found one person, alive but with a hurt hip, and one pet dog that died. They are still searching in the collapsed buildings, but it seems most of them were empty. One source said they're searching with dogs that only bark if they sense a living human, and they haven't barked yet.

Also, quote, "the replacement bridge was supposed to last 50 years."

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 3, 2015

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Police released a clearer pic of the damage done by the fallen bridge part and crane.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Police released a clearer pic of the damage done by the fallen bridge part and crane.

What the hell were they even doing with that? I'm not seeing a bridge there or anywhere you'd be able to fit one.

E: Maybe this was all planned, eminent domain through gravity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Carbon dioxide posted:

one pet dog that died

Aw!

I sure hope they cleared the entire "a crane could hit here if it fell" area. I certainly wouldn't stay home if that was happening outside of my house!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

What the hell were they even doing with that? I'm not seeing a bridge there or anywhere you'd be able to fit one.

E: Maybe this was all planned, eminent domain through gravity.

Added some English translations to the pic for your convenience.

At the place where they were gonna place the new bridge, an old very rusty bridge had been removed. Apparently the pontoons were 'very wobbly' before the whole thing fell over.

Uthor posted:

Aw!

I sure hope they cleared the entire "a crane could hit here if it fell" area. I certainly wouldn't stay home if that was happening outside of my house!

Nope. Floating cranes aren't uncommon here and I think they absolutely didn't expect anything like this to happen. So far it seems they got lucky because a lot of people were away for summer holidays. There were reports of people who lived right next door to the houses on which the crane fell.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Added some English translations to the pic for your convenience.

At the place where they were gonna place the new bridge, an old very rusty bridge had been removed. Apparently the pontoons were 'very wobbly' before the whole thing fell over.

Nope. Floating cranes aren't uncommon here and I think they absolutely didn't expect anything like this to happen. So far it seems they got lucky because a lot of people were away for summer holidays. There were reports of people who lived right next door to the houses on which the crane fell.

So exactly what was the plan? Hoist it over the side and then push the barge into place for them to lower it straight down?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know. I do have a few more updates, though.

- Three people have been designated as suspects. They came to the police themselves. It's not clear yet if they're actually guilty/responsible, but being officially a suspect grants you the Dutch version of Miranda rights (question: is this a thing in other countries; people being designated as a suspect mostly to protect them against the law?).

- The search team has stopped, they've searched through all collapsed buildings and, other than that one wounded guy and the dead dog, they haven't found anyone. As nobody has been reported as missing either, they're quite certain nobody else got wounded or died. That's a relief. :)

- There's a risk of collapse in neighbouring buildings. People from 51 homes will not be able to spend the night at home. In cases like this, they're usually asked to see if they can find a place to stay themselves, otherwise the city will get them rooms. The police has closed down the entire neighbourhood, only people who live in the neighbourhood are allowed to enter at all.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

So exactly what was the plan? Hoist it over the side and then push the barge into place for them to lower it straight down?

None of this makes sense. The barge is way long, far away from the LZ, etc. just build a bridge there, is there a lot of traffic in this moon village they need insta bridge?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Three people have been designated as suspects. They came to the police themselves. It's not clear yet if they're actually guilty/responsible, but being officially a suspect grants you the Dutch version of Miranda rights (question: is this a thing in other countries; people being designated as a suspect mostly to protect them against the law?).

Not in America. You keep your rights at all times, but the cops are basically legally free to dick you over at any given time if they want and are legally allowed to lie (as long as they don't lie enough to coerce the suspect). In practice, you maintain your rights as long as the police decide you can have them. Otherwise you might find yourself "accidentally falling" and breaking several teeth.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 3, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

None of this makes sense. The barge is way long, far away from the LZ, etc. just build a bridge there, is there a lot of traffic in this moon village they need insta bridge?

All I know is they were replacing an old rusty road bridge with a new one. It's one of the three river crossings in that pop. 70000 town. The river goes through the middle of the town.
This bridge part was built in some other town and got shipped here. The plan was to put it into place today and then spend a few weeks properly attaching it and fine-tuning it (it's a drawbridge).
They could've lived without the bridge for a few weeks, they put down a temporary pedestrian bridge right next to the location of this one, and the next car bridge is less than a mile along the river.

But I have no clue at all what their plan was. I guess lift it up there, and then tug those floaters to the location of the bridge and having the crane put it in place right away? Maybe it was stored on the shore, and they had to lift it from there? It seems in that video like it's coming from the left shore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that tug boat in dutch is Sleepboot

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

This is from a whole ago, but I didn't see it in the thread this far:

https://youtu.be/-J8WOViPXIE
Circus elephants are spooked and smash a car in the Danish town of Karrebæksminde.

What really gets me is the attitude of the locals. In this video from a bit further away, you can see several onlookers just not giving a gently caress.
http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/samfund/2015-07-11-cirkus-optog-ude-af-kontrol-her-gaar-elefant-amok-paa-bil

The guy with the pizza just slays me, he doesn't care about an elephant rampage at all.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsAIm0Z-YY4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The jaunty music makes it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know. I do have a few more updates, though.

In America, you have the right against self-incrimination. Arrested, not-arrested, suspect, not a suspect, you have the right to shut up and not talk to the cops. Miranda rights aren't rights you get once the cops read you the statement or declare you a suspect, Miranda was just a case where the Supreme Court decided the cops have to inform you of some of the rights you have when they arrest you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saws suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5M5bk9ASM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4kxQqBu3ME

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Danger tree... sounds like a band name.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually I should post the rest of those graphic safety videos in here. They're really short and relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0-5oU4POE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOZIBZGsjsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4kxQqBu3ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxNboMk6Mhk

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

naem
May 29, 2011

This week on myth busters:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

So the feller was killed by the part that *wasn't* called 'a widowmaker'?

I suppose that's the problem with that sortof term. It puts all the focus on that part of the system, sometimes to the detriment of other parts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Not in America. You keep your rights at all times, but the cops are basically legally free to dick you over at any given time if they want and are legally allowed to lie (as long as they don't lie enough to coerce the suspect). In practice, you maintain your rights as long as the police decide you can have them. Otherwise you might find yourself "accidentally falling" and breaking several teeth.

Lol every time. You can tell from the way this guy posts he hasn't even gotten a speeding ticket before, but one time an off-duty cop was a prick to him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Turns out the Unstoppable Force DOES win!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The Red Bull flugtag happened over the weekend here, and had to be shut down by the coast guard because of the amount of spectators on the river and the fact that a lot of them were blocking the commercial shipping lane.

Article here:
http://koin.com/2015/08/01/flugtag-fun-shut-down-early-by-coast-guard/

Video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl90Y5FOD_U

The amount of dense people who can't grasp the concept that they were A)blocking a federally controlled shipping lane that the permit did not cover B)told to move out of the way in advance of the ship even coming down the lane. Actually, the big ship is a bully and should have gone down another part of the river and/or waited for the event goers to finish.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

simplefish posted:

So the feller was killed by the part that *wasn't* called 'a widowmaker'?

I suppose that's the problem with that sortof term. It puts all the focus on that part of the system, sometimes to the detriment of other parts.

Maybe he wasn't married. :shrug:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I love the sound track: "You should have known better".

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Samopsa posted:

Here is a video in better quality: https://youtu.be/8_nTLIuk6Hk

Reports are mentioning 20+ wounded at the site.

i thought things started to go south about a minute in when the upper right corner looks like it contacts the far crane

then i noticed the near crane operator gets out at 0:49, pauses to take a look as if to say "yup, that's hosed", and is already running down the stairs by the time that happens

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Larry Parrish posted:

Lol every time. You can tell from the way this guy posts he hasn't even gotten a speeding ticket before, but one time an off-duty cop was a prick to him.

its good to see the conservative meme of "you're a huge gay weiner if you're mad about causes that don't affect you personally" is alive and well on the forums

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The Red Bull flugtag happened over the weekend here, and had to be shut down by the coast guard because of the amount of spectators on the river and the fact that a lot of them were blocking the commercial shipping lane.

Article here:

Video here

The amount of dense people who can't grasp the concept that they were A)blocking a federally controlled shipping lane that the permit did not cover B)told to move out of the way in advance of the ship even coming down the lane. Actually, the big ship is a bully and should have gone down another part of the river and/or waited for the event goers to finish.

Another good video from the perspective of one of the boats that blocked the channel. People on the boats in the channel looking at the Portland Spirit "where do they think THEY are going? we are here already!", then the coast guard tells them to loving move, and then a guy falls through his skylight ahhaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtQcwWfPLc

According to this article the Coast Guard cleared the channel, but then some idiots jumped in, dropped anchor and tied their boats together. Presumably, that video is from one of those idiots.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/08/unprecedented_number_of_boats.html

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

im full of poo poo posted:

its good to see the conservative meme of "you're a huge gay weiner if you're mad about causes that don't affect you personally" is alive and well on the forums

It's OK to be mad about things that don't affect you, but it's stupid to be mad about things that don't happen at all.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Article here:

Video here

quote:

“We were trying to get the driver to stop, it wasn’t, it was just running into everything like it didn’t care,” 9-year-old Dylan Hunter said.

i don't think it cared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Larry Parrish posted:

It's OK to be mad about things that don't affect you, but it's stupid to be mad about things that don't happen at all.

yeah everybody who gets injured or killed in custody had it coming, and every arrest is a good arrest
police aren't just incompetent humans they are pure emotionless law enforcement robots

• Locked thread