Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Cole posted:

Assaulting a police officer.

Flat out incorrect. The officer informs he she is under arrest before she even exits the vehicle. They upgrade her contempt of cop to assaulting a peace officer once she's off camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Genocide Tendency posted:

Nope.

Here read this:

All three of you are loving stupid. You can not read. You can not read one loving important part of the entire issue.

It wasn't a law when and where I got my licence. Literally I was not taught to use a signal to change lanes. That doesn't make me a bad driver. It means I learned to drive in a state where you didn't need to.

Now tell me. Do you know every little nuance and oh by the way traffic law in every state? No?

Ah. WELL YOU ARE A lovely DRIVER. Using your logic of course.

No. Again because either you can't read or keep ignoring it...

See, you can use that excuse the first time you get pulled over. After that? Yes, you're a lovely driver.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Armyman25 posted:

See, you can use that excuse the first time you get pulled over. After that? Yes, you're a lovely driver.

not signaling when changing lanes is to driving what having a small amount of weed on you is to being a dangerous criminal.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

not signaling when changing lanes is to driving what having a small amount of weed on you is to being a dangerous criminal.

an excuse to lock up black kids while letting white kids go home with a citation and a stern warning? how shockingly observant of you, cole

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Cole posted:

The Society for Automotive Engineers have conducted studies; failure to signal is one of the leading causes of car accidents.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Cole posted:

E: why are you playing these games, just make your point instead of needlessly dragging it on.

That's entirely incorrect and you know exactly why.

I'm not playing games. I'm just trying to understand GT's full perspective. I will admit to some hostility in my previous posts, but I'm pushing that aside right now and keeping my questions short so that we can try to understand each other one step at a time.

We wanted a discussion, yes? If that's that case, a 9 word response isn't going to get us anywhere and all it's going to do is make me ask a question similar to my initial one so that hopefully we can actually, well, discuss.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The Society for Automotive Engineers have conducted studies; failure to signal is one of the leading causes of car accidents.

Not to mention it's also basic safety signaling equipment on every vehicle. Pretending you 'didn't know' you needed to use it is rock-solid evidence of lovely driving habits.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cole posted:

Yeah gently caress that, if there's a few traffic laws I wish cops would actually enforce with an iron fist that would be near the top.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah gently caress that, if there's a few traffic laws I wish cops would actually enforce with an iron fist that would be near the top.

That plus aggressive tailgating should be actively enforced and you'd see the rate of traffic accidents nosedive. They're far more dangerous on Motorways (Interstates I think you'd call them?) than people going 10mph faster than the speed liimit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ban BMWs.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Senf posted:

So why did Bland end up in a jail cell?

Because:

Cole posted:

E: why are you playing these games, just make your point instead of needlessly dragging it on.

Senf posted:

That's entirely incorrect and you know exactly why.

I'm not playing games. I'm just trying to understand GT's full perspective. I will admit to some hostility in my previous posts, but I'm pushing that aside right now and keeping my questions short so that we can try to understand each other one step at a time.

We wanted a discussion, yes? If that's that case, a 9 word response isn't going to get us anywhere and all it's going to do is make me ask a question similar to my initial one so that hopefully we can actually, well, discuss.

Why is it incorrect?

And what discussion is there? Bland hung herself in a jail cell. I didn't. There isn't a discussion here.

Armyman25 posted:

Not if it wasn't a law in other states!

You still don't get that laws are different from state to state. As is driving instructing courses.

But keep being an idiot.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You still don't get that laws are different from state to state. As is driving instructing courses.

But keep being an idiot.

No, actually I have to take their side on this, I don't care if its required by law, gently caress you if you don't signal when you change lanes

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jarmak posted:

No, actually I have to take their side on this, I don't care if its required by law, gently caress you if you don't signal when you change lanes

"Officer, I don't know what this stalk is that is literally on every car ever made! :downs:"

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

DARPA posted:

Flat out incorrect. The officer informs he she is under arrest before she even exits the vehicle. They upgrade her contempt of cop to assaulting a peace officer once she's off camera.
To add on to your point about her arrest, she was going to be pulled over whether she signalled or not. The officer saw her while passing and u-turned so he could speed up right behind her, of course she's going to try to quickly move out of his way.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 4, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LeeMajors posted:

"Officer, I don't know what this stalk is that is literally on every car ever made! :downs:"

Look whose never driven a pre-80s French car.

(I don't actually know how they were activated, but I'm sure it was some weird incantation instead of a stalk).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Because:

Why is it incorrect?

And what discussion is there? Bland hung herself in a jail cell. I didn't. There isn't a discussion here.

But keep being an idiot.

The point that you're missing, probably on purpose, is that the cop arrested her for no reason. She did something illegal, sure, but the cop had no reason to arrest her for it as well. Watching the video, it's clear that he does it because he was upset that she didn't put out her cigarette when he told her to. It's pretty reasonably to suggest that part of the reason why he acted like he did was because she was black. The cops admitted he violated their standards of conduct for the arrest in that he was a complete rear end in a top hat for no reason.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Why is it incorrect?

Because:

DARPA posted:

The officer informs he[r] she is under arrest before she even exits the vehicle. They upgrade her contempt of cop to assaulting a peace officer once she's off camera.

I believe that the evidence of her assault of Officer Encinia is extremely weak. Can you point to the concrete evidence that she actually assaulted him? Because I sure as hell can't, even though I can point to the exact moment that he escalated the situation far beyond where it ever had to go.

Was he in the right to remove her from her vehicle? Hell, was he even in the right to request that she put her cigarette out? Should it have ever gotten to that point? The whole situation is absurd and that you fail to see how this incident was escalated for no reason while you were merely ticketed (on three separate occasions) and dismissed... well, hell man.

edit: I was beaten but I don't care.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"If a police officer orders you to dance like a monkey, you deserve to go to jail if you refuse."
~Apologists

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Lemming posted:

The point that you're missing, probably on purpose, is that the cop arrested her for no reason. She did something illegal, sure, but the cop had no reason to arrest her for it as well.

LoL

She broke the law and assaulted a cop, BUT HE HAD NO RIGHT TO ARREST HER.

LoL

Senf posted:

Because:

I believe that the evidence of her assault of Officer Encinia is extremely weak. Can you point to the concrete evidence that she actually assaulted him? Because I sure as hell can't, even though I can point to the exact moment that he escalated the situation far beyond where it ever had to go.

Can you point to where she didn't assault him?

quote:

Was he in the right to remove her from her vehicle? Hell, was he even in the right to request that she put her cigarette out? Should it have ever gotten to that point? The whole situation is absurd and that you fail to see how this incident was escalated for no reason while you were merely ticketed (on three separate occasions) and dismissed... well, hell man.

edit: I was beaten but I don't care.

She was asked to get out of the car, she disobeyed. He told her to get out or he would remove her.

Thats called a lawful order. Disobeying a lawful order is actually a crime.

But hey we have already established that violating laws is no justification for an officer to do their job.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LoL

LoL

She was asked to get out of the car, she disobeyed. He told her to get out or he would remove her.

Thats called a lawful order. Disobeying a lawful order is actually a crime.

But hey we have already established that violating laws is no justification for an officer to do their job.

Yes, and we've established that legally, he could arrest her, but he had no good reason to do it. He did it because he didn't like her and her attitude. He's a bully. You can see the moment he switches gears after he orders her to put out the cigarette and she refuses. Even before the alleged assault (which conveniently takes place off camera), she was being arrested. What did she do that made her deserve to get arrested, at the point when the cop decided to arrest her?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just hope that you use your signals now when changing lanes. It's the right thing to do.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

According to the cop. There's no evidence this actually happened.

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. We only have his word for it, and he was shown to be lying about other aspects of the stop.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, how about the entire video that was released to the public?

Hell, he even explicitly tells her that she's under arrest before the alleged assault even took place. For what reason was she under arrest the first time then? Does that not at all strike you as strange? Suspicious, even?

The point is that his "lawful order" was absolute bullshit. Why was Bland even told that she was under arrest and later ordered out of her vehicle in the first place?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Lemming posted:

She did something illegal, sure, but the cop had no reason to arrest her for it

what does this even mean?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

Changing lanes without a signal and sassing a cop are not arrestable offenses.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cole posted:

That she changed lanes without signaling, which is illegal but not so illegal as to justify an arrest (except that in Texas you can arrest for a traffic violation.)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In Texas the first one is. (7C543.001)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 4, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kalman posted:

That she changed lanes without signaling, which is illegal but not so illegal as to justify an arrest (except that in Texas you can arrest for a traffic violation.)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Then what did this poster mean?

Lemming posted:

Yes, and we've established that legally, he could arrest her

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Apparently they legally can in Texas, which I think is stupid bullshit, but there's still no reason to do it.

Cole posted:

I can read your lovely posts, but there's no reason to.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Get ready to have the bandwagon come down on you. Both of those are technically arrestable offenses, haha you lose the police win!

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

tentative8e8op posted:

To add on to your point about her arrest, she was going to be pulled over whether she signalled or not. The officer saw her while passing and u-turned so he could speed up right behind her, of course she's going to try to quickly move out of his way.

If a cop wants to pull you over they will follow you till you do something close enough to wrong, then they hit the lights. (or some of them just pull you over cause they want to)

They are fishing for warrants, or drugs/alcohol. The type of car, your age, appearance, and mostly the part of town you are in, are all factors.

The cops are targeting certain things (profiling), because they find stuff when they do this. as long as they keep finding stuff they will keep doing it. It's a vicious cycle.

There is a reason there is always a cop at that spot where the speed limit goes from 75 to 55.

Cops profile, they just do. So if you happen to be in one of those categories, they are going to pull you over.

It's bullshit, but it's loving life and it's not always fair.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Cole posted:

Are you serious? One of the people you just quoted even said that the traffic violation is an arrestable offence in Texas. The other poster was misinformed.

The officer needlessly escalated the situation when Bland called him a loving pussy which, while also extremely unnecessary, should not have have led to the officer threatening to "light her up." Perhaps things would have been different if he had instead just given her the citation and told her go on her way. You know, like he said he tried to do.

edit: phone posting

Senf fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 4, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

If you can't tell the difference between obvious trolls and people who are just simply pointing out that certain facts are incorrect perhaps you need to take a step back?

Are Genocide Tendency and Cole trolls or do they really feel this way?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ElCondemn posted:

Are Genocide Tendency and Cole trolls or do they really feel this way?
a moot question

we are trolls simply because we don't agree

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Its an arrestable offense but as the video clearly shows it was not the reason he was arresting her, it was refusing to get out of the car after she hurt his feelings by not putting her cigarette out.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mavric posted:

Its an arrestable offense but as the video clearly shows it was not the reason he was arresting her, it was refusing to get out of the car after she hurt his feelings by not putting her cigarette out.

I may very well be wrong here - the info isn't that fresh right now and I'm on my phone - but isn't it that the words have to be able to provoke a physical altercation? A frustrated woman calling an officer a "loving pussy" are hardly words that should provoke a fight between the two.

Though, well, it obviously kind of loving did provoke the officer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Is there a way to criminalize the use of authority to retaliate against free speech without destroying America?

That is, if you use your say...use your police authority to say...arrest someone for making a statement clearly protected by the first amendment that you will have committed a crime. Could that be a crime?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

According to the cop. There's no evidence this actually happened.

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. We only have his word for it, and he was shown to be lying about other aspects of the stop.

So let me get this straight. I have to provide evidence that it did, and you don't have to provide evidence that it didn't.

Care to explain how that works?

Senf posted:

Yeah, how about the entire video that was released to the public?

Hell, he even explicitly tells her that she's under arrest before the alleged assault even took place. For what reason was she under arrest the first time then? Does that not at all strike you as strange? Suspicious, even?

The point is that his "lawful order" was absolute bullshit. Why was Bland even told that she was under arrest and later ordered out of her vehicle in the first place?

He tells her to get out of the car. She refuses. Thats disobeying a lawful order.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaW09Ymr2BA

Here is the law (which in Texas is disorderly conduct):

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm

He doesn't say she is under arrest until after he informs her she is disobeying a lawful order, and tells her again to get out of the car.

The booking charge was Assaulting a public servant.

And by the by. Police can actually order you, lawfully, to get out of your car. There was some discussion locally about requiring everyone pulled over after dusk to get out of their car at one point for officer safety. But they decided to just require two officers be present before approaching a vehicle.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
For self defense it has to be an imminent threat of physical harm, it was however legal for him to order her out for any reason because texas is a hell hole. There was no such threat, she was just sassing him, which is protected free speech. Honestly it kinda seems like a civil rights violation but maybe thats a bit too extreme.

Mavric fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 4, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cole posted:

a moot question

we are trolls simply because we don't agree

I'm saying you're not trolls, I think you are saying what you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
And again, he had no reason to tell her to get out the car. He did it because he's a bully and his ego was hurt because she didn't put the cigarette out when he told her to. I am forced to assume that you are being willfully dense because there's no way you couldn't understand this point by now.

• Locked thread