Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Its plenty okay to criticize Muslims, but considering most arguments presented by US groups criticizing Muslims stem from racism, and Islamaphobia is justified by groups who see Muslims as largely all terrorists based solely upon their religion and their race.

I'm not convinced that this justifies attempting to shout down any unflattering observations about a belief system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheImmigrant posted:

Because both are religions, but it's only kosher to criticize Christianity, because racism and colonialism. The best way to fight racism is to behave like the racist, but with a kosher target. Islam is sacred, because Headgear and colonialism. Christianity is evil, because the Republican Party, and like some poo poo that happened five hundred years ago. And the Crusades, always remember the Crusades.

Is that clear?

Jesus christ :wrongful:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Its plenty okay to criticize Muslims, but considering most arguments presented by US groups criticizing Muslims stem from racism, and Islamaphobia is justified by groups who see Muslims as largely all terrorists based solely upon their religion and their race.

I mean, the problems aren't really the criticisms, they're the weird theorizing that comes after it. "Muslims tend to be really conservative about gay rights" is a criticism, "And therefore they are just waiting to throw the gays off buildings and you can never trust a Muslim because they are constitutionally forbidden from interpreting scripture by their God-King, the Caliph" isn't "criticizing Muslims" - it's just making stuff up because it's sexy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm not convinced that this justifies attempting to shout down any unflattering observations about a belief system.

Of course not!

But lest we forget: The number one victims of Muslim Extremists are Muslims. So why are White, Christian, Americans so heavily concerned about Muslims?

Even better, when they are groups run by dipshits like Pamela Geller whose whole purpose is to stir up racist ideals in the public. And groups like the Tea Party who think America needs to be a Christian nation and seriously propose breaking down the Church/State separation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Honestly I didn't scrutinize this or anything but maybe this belongs here.

It's kinda hard to see where those numbers are coming from but it's important to note that the survey excluded India, most of the Arabian Peninsula, and a lot of North Africa.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

V. Illych L. posted:

not sure i'd accept that the klan are a primarily christian group, though they obviously mix a weird christianity in with their odious racism

their explicit rejection of universalism seems like it would make them pretty clearly heretical, at any rate

As much as I would like to disown the more odious members of my faith, I cannot and still keep a semblance of intellectual honesty. And while I believe in universalism, it is not widely accepted and I'm basically a heretic.

Religion isn't just a set of beliefs, its also part of people's ethnic and cultural identity.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Mandy Thompson posted:

Religion isn't just a set of beliefs, its also part of people's ethnic and cultural identity.

So is football, cruelty to animals, and institutionalised bigotry. Just because it's important to people doesn't mean you have to be nice about it if it's also really dumb and/or harmful.

computer parts posted:

It's kinda hard to see where those numbers are coming from but it's important to note that the survey excluded India, most of the Arabian Peninsula, and a lot of North Africa.

Three regions renowned for having so effectively embraced liberal principles like gender equality. I'm sure they were left out because they would have skewed the poll so outrageously in favour of modern, progressive sensibilities.

icantfindaname posted:

Which is why there are no Christian churches that sanction gay marriages, seeing as homosex is similarly condemned by normative Pauline Christianity

Except for the ones that do like the Episcopal church and a whole shitload of Lutherans.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 4, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Mandy Thompson posted:

So is political affiliation, for many.

Religious adherence is not immutable. I'll give that it's more important to identity than a person's favorite color, but it is not on a level with skin color or gender. If there's a tension between the principles of gender equality and nondiscrimination of religion, the latter must cede to the former.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I sincerely hope they aren't advocating it. I'm asking the question because this view of Islam as a monolithic foe to modernity is one also held by the people who do think the only or best option is some good old fashioned colonial imperialism.

What I'm taking issue with is the idea that Islam is inherently incompatible with modernity and that the whole religion ought to be somehow in some way suppressed, which is what Liberal_L33t has been saying.

If, by your definition, supporting secular, constitutional systems (even ones with problematic human rights records) and doing everything practical to hinder the progress of Islamist movements is "old fashioned colonial imperialism", then yes, I suppose I am guilty of supporting it. Congratulations; you have just debased the definition of colonialism to the point it has no meaning to anyone except the most die-hard cultural relativists. This exact process has been the primary source of the hard-right nationalists rise to prominence in Europe; nice job with that one, multiculturalists.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

Religious governance is, almost by definition, incompatible with modernity, and the concept of secularism/laïcité seems anathema to the dominant strands of contemporary Islam.

this is funny see, because outside of france turkey is one of the best examples of laicite. i guess just pretend one of the most important muslim middle eastern countries doesn't exist because it's inconvenient for your argument?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Swedish towns giving in to Islamists by introducing separate swimmings hours for men and women, says Iraqi-born women's rights activist Sara Mohammad:

Sara Mohammad posted:

Sweden giving in to Islamists

[quote]The swimming pool in the northern Swedish town of Östersund has started selling burkinis and a number of other Swedish pools have introduced separate swimming times for men and women. The Iraqi-born women's rights activist Sara Mohammad sees on the opinion page of the Swedish SVT-Opinion website the authorities giving in to the Islamists: "There are many of us who fled cultural and religious oppression and the control of women's sexuality as well as the denial of equal rights. We came to Sweden with high expectations of a free society. ... But we see with concern how the religious powers are expanding their influence in Sweden, step by step. We have been through this before, we know how it is, and we don't want to go through it again. ... The separation of women and men, for example with separate swimming times, is proof of the power of Islamists and their ability to push through old rules in a new country."

http://www.eurotopics.net/en/home/autorenindex/autor-mohammad-sara/

But since pockets of Americans are racist we shouldn't look to this as an example of cultural sensitivity gone awry.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

this is funny see, because outside of france turkey is one of the best examples of laicite. i guess just pretend one of the most important muslim middle eastern countries doesn't exist because it's inconvenient for your argument?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Turkey is not a Muslim state. It is a secular state whose population is overwhelmingly Muslim. Unfortunately, the secularism there is eroding.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Like you similarly pretended major Christian denominations don't exist, you mean?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

Turkey is not a Muslim state. It is a secular state whose population is overwhelmingly Muslim. Unfortunately, the secularism there is eroding.

you said

TheImmigrant posted:

the concept of secularism/laïcité seems anathema to the dominant strands of contemporary Islam.

So if normal, orthodox Sunnism is what is practiced in Turkey by the majority of the population, what gives????? Are the borders of Turkey some kind of magic artifact within which Sunni Islam can be practiced without fundamentalism and outside of which it cannot? Maybe the Turks are just Übermenschen with superior genetics?

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Like you similarly pretended major Christian denominations don't exist, you mean?

yes, that's the joke. i'm saying christianity is no different from islam in terms of people following its normative rules. that is to say lots of self-id'd adherents don't:ssh:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 4, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

you said

So if normal, orthodox Sunnism is what is practiced in Turkey by the majority of the population, what gives????? Are the borders of Turkey some kind of magic artifact within which Sunni Islam can be practiced without fundamentalism and outside of which it cannot? Maybe the Turks are just Übermenschen with superior genetics?

yes, that's the joke. i'm saying christianity is no different from islam in terms of people following its normative rules. that is to say lots of self-id'd adherents don't:ssh:

You sound very indignant, but unsure why you are indignant. Stop sputtering, and think about it.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, because Islamic apologists never refrain from irresponsibly labeling critics of the theological & eschatological aspects of Islam from a materialist point of view as racists, bigots, and "Islamophobes" from those who believe Muslims in general are mass murdering psychopaths like ISIS, right? There's an entire industry of self-described liberals & leftists who intentionally exploit this for their own gain, fame, and careers. Glenn Greenwald & Reza Aslan come to mind in particular.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

You sound very indignant, but unsure why you are indignant. Stop sputtering, and think about it.

It's not my job to formulate an argument for you. The arguments you've made thus far are easily, hilariously disprovable. So, get to work on the thinking yourself I guess? Or don't, and I'll keep calling out your arguments as dumb and wrong as long as you keep making them

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

What he said makes sense. Your positing that true Islam is incompatible with a secular state. In Turkey, though it's under threat from the fundamentalist tide in the area, is a secular state. Albania, which has been majority Muslim for the whole time it's been a parliamentary republic is another example. The way you've structured your argument, one or the other of those examples proves you wrong. In addition, you have the population of Azerbijan, whose population is overwhelmingly Islam--91%--but have at least almost half of those saying that religion is not a very important part of their life.

You can have a secular state with a muslim population that are part of the dominant strands of Islam, unless for some reason you think you get to decide that those bunch Muslims are actually heretics and not mainstream, in which case you're just defining terms so that you're right.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the problem here, that I finally figured out in another thread, is it makes no sense to non-religious people like myself, who weren't raised religious, why you would identify as being the member of a certain religion if you don't agree with its beliefs. It still makes no sense to me, but I accept that there are people who identify as Muslim, who do not necessarily structure their lives according to the Quran, or believe that it's a necessary part of being a Muslim. I have no problem with those people, but no part of me understands why they identify as Muslims or find it desirable to identify as Muslim.

If you're just going to pick and choose the bits you like, why bother identifying with a religion at all?

Many Muslim fundamentalists have no problem saying that various backward cultural practices, like female genital mutilation, are endorsed by Islam; why, then, can't people who don't really believe all that strongly in Islam simply appropriate the parts of it they wish to practice under the guise of culture? It would be the same process working in reverse.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 4, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

PT6A posted:

I think the problem here, that I finally figured out in another thread, is it makes no sense to non-religious people like myself, who weren't raised religious, why you would identify as being the member of a certain religion if you don't agree with its beliefs. It still makes no sense to me, but I accept that there are people who identify as Muslim, who do not necessarily structure their lives according to the Quran, or believe that it's a necessary part of being a Muslim. I have no problem with those people, but no part of me understands why they identify as Muslims or find it desirable to identify as Muslim.

If you're just going to pick and choose the bits you like, why bother identifying with a religion at all?

Everyone picks and chooses the bits they like. it's a spectrum.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Obdicut posted:

Everyone picks and chooses the bits they like. it's a spectrum.

I realize that, but I don't understand it. What's the point of having a supreme being telling you what to do if you just stick your fingers in your ears for the bits you don't like?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

PT6A posted:

I realize that, but I don't understand it. What's the point of having a supreme being telling you what to do if you just stick your fingers in your ears for the bits you don't like?

There is no alternative for a religious person. What do you imagine the alternative to be?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Obdicut posted:

There is no alternative for a religious person. What do you imagine the alternative to be?

Saying, "I believe X, Y, and Z, but I don't need to be part of an organized religion to do it?"

There's parts of every holy book that have some value, that I agree with, and there's lots in every book that I disagree with as well. You don't need to label yourself in order to agree with some parts of a religion.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PT6A posted:

Cultural identity? If everyone you know, have ever known, will ever know, in addition to your entire family for generations, is religious, breaking with that leaves you with no social or familial identity or support. Basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSoYCetG6A

This is seriously the :goonsay:-iest post. Lots and lots and lots of people, probably a large majority of religious people in both the West and in these countries, who don't really deep down believe in the prescribed articles of the religion, but who still identify as adherents because of tradition. Most people are not actually true believes, it's why zealots and fundies stand out as weirdos even in nominally religious societies

PT6A posted:

Many Muslim fundamentalists have no problem saying that various backward cultural practices, like female genital mutilation, are endorsed by Islam; why, then, can['t] people who don't really believe all that strongly in Islam simply appropriate the parts of it they wish to practice under the guise of culture? It would be the same process working in reverse.

I'm assuming that is supposed to be 'can't' not 'can'

They can and do, this is what many nominally religious people do, in fact. They just don't bother to actively and vocally break with the religion's precepts

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 4, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Saying, "I believe X, Y, and Z, but I don't need to be part of an organized religion to do it?"

Yes, technically someone can believe in the Resurrection without calling themselves a Christian but it's kind of pointless.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I'm assuming that is supposed to be 'can't' not 'can'

They can and do, this is what many nominally religious people do, in fact. They just don't bother to actively and vocally break with the religion's precepts

Good catch, that was a typo on my part.

Still, I think a lot of these arguments come up because people aren't making the distinction between:

a) Islam, defined by the Quran and the hadiths
b) Islam, as defined by the common practices and beliefs of people who call themselves Muslims

(replace Islam with Christianity and the point still holds)

Depending on what regions of the world you look at, I can't imagine anyone having a significant problem with the latter group, but at the same time, I can't imagine anyone finding the former to be acceptable in the modern world.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 4, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

PT6A posted:

Well, they probably identify themselves as "Muslim" not because they feel they need to, I'm not sure why you'd assume that. They might identify themselves that way out of inertia--they still believe in what they consider the core precepts of the religion. Or because they're still culturally bound to it. There are plenty of Jews whose beliefs are mostly agnostic who still do the High Holidays. If you think all religions are kinda wrong, but they're all kinda right, why not stick with the one you're familiar with and make your grandma happy?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

Well for one thing they don't PERCEIVE themselves as sticking their fingers in their ears for the bits they don't like.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Obdicut posted:

Well, they probably identify themselves as "Muslim" not because they feel they need to, I'm not sure why you'd assume that. They might identify themselves that way out of inertia--they still believe in what they consider the core precepts of the religion. Or because they're still culturally bound to it. There are plenty of Jews whose beliefs are mostly agnostic who still do the High Holidays. If you think all religions are kinda wrong, but they're all kinda right, why not stick with the one you're familiar with and make your grandma happy?

I celebrate Christmas and I believe in certain things that Jesus said, but that doesn't make me a Christian because I don't believe in God, and therefore I don't and cannot believe in the divinity of Christ. My cultural practices and feelings toward the religion notwithstanding, I think it would be absurd for me to self-identify as a Christian, or for someone to judge "what Christians believe" based on my personal beliefs and behaviours.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

I celebrate Christmas and I believe in certain things that Jesus said, but that doesn't make me a Christian because I don't believe in God, and therefore I don't and cannot believe in the divinity of Christ. My cultural practices and feelings toward the religion notwithstanding, I think it would be absurd for me to self-identify as a Christian, or for someone to judge "what Christians believe" based on my personal beliefs and behaviours.

Most of the ones that don't actually believe probably aren't going to admit as such, possibly even to themselves, but that's going to be a minority compared to people that want to be a Good Member of Their Religion, because being a Good Member of Their Religion is a Good Thing, and they also want to Drink Booze/Eat Meat on Friday/Not Actually Perform Any Charity, and will simply tell themselves that part isn't THAT important, and do their best to ignore the voice in the back of their head going "yes it is and you know it."

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

PT6A posted:

Okay, I was talking about agnostics and not atheists, and about the people who think there's a god but that all religions are both wrong and accurate. Obviously as an atheist, you're different than them.

These Muslims actually do believe in God. They just say religion isn't a very important part of their life.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Not necessarily. There's definitely a cultural component to it, independent of belief, but identity is up to each person, and observance fitful. I remember sitting at the bar years ago with my roommate, who was from Algeria. We were pounding whiskeys chased with beers. Munchies had us decide to order a pizza, but he balked at pepperoni, slurring "Dude, I'm Muslim." Similarly, my cousin (we're Jewish) is atheist, doesn't eat pork, but devours oysters and other shellfish.

There's what I call derivative or nominal religion, and active religion.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Why the gently caress are y'all still talking about dumb poo poo like true Islam. I thought we dispensed with that kind of idiocy 13 pages ago.

icantfindaname posted:

I see. I'll adjust the old sarcasmometer.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PT6A posted:

I think the problem here, that I finally figured out in another thread, is it makes no sense to non-religious people like myself, who weren't raised religious, why you would identify as being the member of a certain religion if you don't agree with its beliefs.

Because neither "liberal" nor "conservative" (these are bad terms, but we'll go with them) Muslims agree that we are holding to a religion when we don't agree with it's beliefs. We agree with the straight path: we disagree about a variety of things that are said to make up that path. This is not a flaw: Disagreement between scholars is a mercy.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 4, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
This thread is stupid. With Volks permission I'd like to make it slightly less stupid. I'd like to go through the entire Quran one surrah at a time and see if that improves the quality of discussion a bit. I'd do it on a mostly daily basis(job has inconsistent hours. If I have a 15 hour shift I'm not writing poo poo), and go throught the major themes and and any controversial aspects of that surrah, as well as its context within Mohammad's own lifetime.
Y'all can then bitch about the Saracen menace in a focused fashion.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 4, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Schizotek posted:

This thread is stupid. With Volks permission I'd like to make it slightly less stupid. I'd like to go through the entire Quran one surrah at a time and see if that improves the quality of discussion a bit. I'd do it on a mostly daily basis(job has inconsistent hours. If I have a 15 hour shift I'm not writing poo poo), and go throught the major themes and and any controversial aspects of that surrah, as well as its context within Mohammad's own lifetime.
Y'all can then bitch about the Saracen menace in a focused fashion then.

This is actually a great idea. I'll help carry it, if needed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sound great schizotek.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Immortan posted:

Yes, because Islamic apologists never refrain from irresponsibly labeling critics of the theological & eschatological aspects of Islam from a materialist point of view as racists, bigots, and "Islamophobes" from those who believe Muslims in general are mass murdering psychopaths like ISIS, right? There's an entire industry of self-described liberals & leftists who intentionally exploit this for their own gain, fame, and careers. Glenn Greenwald & Reza Aslan come to mind in particular.

Well actually you are largely racists, bigots and Islamophobes, and there's nothing irresponsible about acknowledging it. Perhaps the disconnect is that those of us who recognize it can see through the sleight of hand and you can't. "We're just academic critics of theology! Who happen to advocate violent and discriminatory policy against human beings! Because we hate them for half coherent reasons!"

By the way I'm laughing at the idea that defending Muslims, the most openly loathed people in the west, is a cynical and dishonest career choice made to maximize career opportunities. I would suggest that a much more successful strategy is to parley one's left bonafides into a Principled Advocacy of wars the Beltway desires and the prejudices that the mass of the middle class are predisposed to anyway, such as what Hitchens did with the last few years of his life.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

Well actually you are largely racists, bigots and Islamophobes, and there's nothing irresponsible about acknowledging it. Perhaps the disconnect is that those of us who recognize it can see through the sleight of hand and you can't. "We're just academic critics of theology! Who happen to advocate violent and discriminatory policy against human beings! Because we hate them for half coherent reasons!"

By the way I'm laughing at the idea that defending Muslims, the most openly loathed people in the west, is a cynical and dishonest career choice made to maximize career opportunities.

You can't criticize beliefs which violate every known natural law of the universe only if brown people believe them. Tezzor won't allow it, folks. Pack your poo poo.

• Locked thread