Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RBC posted:

whats with the terrible art

He's got a theme and he's going with it. If anything he needs more pirate ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Half of them are old 70s black light posters the others are newer black light, something I think fit the tone of the shop and I had laying around. A lot of my customers really dug them and a few tried to buy them. I did pretty good yesterday and moved 4 complete systems and 2 turntables, a Technics SL-1700 Mk2 and a Yamaha P-850.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 26, 2015

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Are there preferred brands/series of capacitors? I know the caps I have are long discontinued, but any suggestions for replacements for 3 x 2000uf 35v and 1 x 2000uf 60v? I'm driving myself crazy reading about this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr.Caligari posted:

I just figured out by grounding my turntable to the head unit, it eliminates that constant annoying hum

:bravo:

However, I have gained a more annoying constant bass rumble whenever it is turned up too loud. Could it be interference between wires? Would having the speaker polarity backwards cause this?

How close together is everything? It might be a resonance issue between the cartridge and the speakers.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

40Inch posted:

Are there preferred brands/series of capacitors? I know the caps I have are long discontinued, but any suggestions for replacements for 3 x 2000uf 35v and 1 x 2000uf 60v? I'm driving myself crazy reading about this.

Panasonic makes good caps. If you want to spend a bit more you can go with Nichicon or Elna. But really, brand doesn't matter outside of reliability and any of those brand will be good. Variety doesn't matter either especially for vintage audio applications. Not until you get into crazy digital circuit design does it start to matter.

Another thing - make sure the power supply caps are rated at 105 degrees C. The rest can be 85C. Just a good common practice.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

I just figured out by grounding my turntable to the head unit, it eliminates that constant annoying hum

:bravo:

However, I have gained a more annoying constant bass rumble whenever it is turned up too loud. Could it be interference between wires? Would having the speaker polarity backwards cause this?

What head unit do you have?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Yamaha CR-820

Everything is close together at the moment, I think that may be the problem. I will do some rearranging tomorrow.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 27, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Are the speakers on the same surface as the turntable?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

TooLShack posted:

Are the speakers on the same surface as the turntable?

This was my thought as well

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
I just picked up a pair of Design Acoustics PS-10's. I am in love with these speakers. I listen to studio monitors at work all day, so these speakers are like a breath of fresh air. I can't wait to get my listening room set up.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Saw this browsing imgur. I thought it looked nice enough to post here. http://imgur.com/gallery/s9ZvU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Good weekend, found a few things for the store. Pair of JBL 4425,Kenwood KA-9100, and a Sansui G-9000, which all work and sound great.

I really dig that shelf TomR, only thing I'm curious about if the speakers being on the shelf mess with the turntable at all. Also Amp should be in the center and maybe a nice reel to reel or a second turntable.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I wondered about the speakers too. Looks like a heavy bench and the top is marble so maybe it's okay. I would have put them on the floor myself.

Some day I will get a reel to reel player. I wish shipping stuff like that into Canada wasn't so expensive.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Can some of you post pictures of your setup's? I need some motivation and ideas

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

Ours took about 2 hours from start to finish. Nothing fancy but it fits in the space we have and people seem to love it when they come over

Flaggy posted:

Thats funny you should post that. We just built this today instead.

From lumber purchase, to staining, to assembly about 2.5 hours.

I just need a better receiver.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Dr.Caligari posted:

Sure, here's a pano of mine.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mine's not as nice or modern looking as the previous ones, but here you go:

I broke the hinge on my Technics dust cover last week. :argh:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 4, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My setup:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

That painting is amazing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

That painting is amazing.

The small one is Kerry Darlington, the big one came from a catholic church but other than that I don't know much about who painted it. Probably from about the 20's. Used to be a mural but I had it put on a stretcher.

Edit: stereo gear is Kenwood, speakers are a/d/s, interconnects are Walmart

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 4, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm going from my computer through a DAC to a marantz 2270 to my speakers. am i supposed to connect the RCA cables to the main speaker or AUX slot?

i tried the speaker mains and nearly blew out my speakers. AUX used to be the way and now that doesn't work. i just got this back from a repair shop. this didn't used to happen...

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 5, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Make sure you have the jumpers going from pre out to main in, like in this picture.

If you don't have your jumpers anymore just get a RCA cable and hook the pre outs to the main speakers. Then your aux should work.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, that was it. never knew that. thanks.

now i just need to replace these drat LEDs. loving atrocious. i told them to replace the lamps, but i figured they would have gone with the old ones. ugh.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Most 2200-series Marantzes are internally jumpered on the pre-in/main-out ports, and I don't think the 2270 is an exception.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Don't trust movers to move hifi stuff properly :(

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So, they are going to pay for new ones right?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

TooLShack posted:

So, they are going to pay for new ones right?

Yeah it was insured but I'm still kinda mad since I really liked those speakers and it's tough to find some for sale anywhere.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
That really sucks Chill Callahan.

Here is my kitchen setup.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like that cabinet a lot.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

That really sucks Chill Callahan.

Here is my kitchen setup.

are those v1 titans?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
They are Paradigm somethings. The stickers have all fallen off. I got 4 of them for free.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Maybe a Atom, either ones are nice little speakers.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
someone's thought process today: "oh, an e-waste pickup! we can get rid of all that old stereo junk Grandpa left us for some reason."

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
It doesn't even have bluetooth - blech!

Seriously how do you not google marantz 2440 before you haul it out to the curb?

In other news I grabbed one of the nakamichi stasis amps thanks to a poster in here a little while back and I love it!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Man, makes me want to go get a part time job at one of those places just to scavenge the good stuff until I'm fired.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

TomR posted:

Man, makes me want to go get a part time job at one of those places just to scavenge the good stuff until I'm fired.

the trick is to get a part time job scavenging the good stuff to sell on ebay and sell it to yourself! :v:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wanna start a recycling place myself and keep what I want, then haul the rest to a real recycling place. :v:

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I am looking at getting back into having a proper record player in my house. I am not wanting anything particularly loud, but I don't want to buy anything bobbins- I have heard enough to get the impression that most new kit is not especially great.

Would a Pioneer SA-720 be a reasonable choice of amp? Does 60 sound reasonable?

I am currently also looking an NEC P335ME turntable, including toner arm accessories. Looks good condition, and only 15 at the moment

Edit. Just reread the OP and see the receiver is listed. Sold!

Anonymouse Mook fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 23, 2015

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
This was my project last weekend:

That's a regular old IKEA Kallax that I modified slightly. I lowered the position of the horizontal shelf (and trimmed the bottom vertical support/divider accordingly) to fit the tape deck. Luckily there was enough height left below to fit tape boxes.

My amp and speakers are across the room with the TV and everything else. This sits next to the couch and also serves as a side/end table. The pre-amp is here, and then I've got about 25 feet of RCA running around to the amp. Luckily, I'm not picking up any noise from that long cable run.

In any case, the Kallax is pretty solidly built and it makes a sturdy turntable stand, especially with the weight of the tape deck on there. (I used some rubber furniture pads between it and the floor as well.)

ryangs fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -